Liquid Prodigymember
7 posts

Posted:
Hello HOP, let me introduce myself- my name is Mel and I d.b.a. Liquid Prodigy over here in Florida. I’ve not posted on this board, but I read it from time to time. I definitely enjoy the insightful move instructions and the easygoing discussions you guys have.

I would like to take a moment and thank Pele, Malcolm, and Adam Rice for a few things. I buy my equipment from Adam and Malcolm. Pele has posted information that has definitely helped me in my poi endeavors. Thanks guys!

I hope someone can help me with the problem I’m having now.

I’ve done searches on here and I have been researching this, but I would really like the opinions of other spinners that are professional with these arts.

I’ve been spinning for a few years now and I’ve been getting booked more and more lately. Permits are an absolute pain. If you try to approach a fire authority, aside from being horribly condescending, they’re always considerably less than helpful. I’ve been asked to do a 29-week national tour starting in April. I’d be in a different city and venue every week. That means I need to obtain a fire permit from 29 different fire marshals. Is there any set fire performing criteria anywhere? Is it always going to be a gray area interpretation everywhere I go?

The pay is really good, but if I’m going to have to spend hours knocking heads with a fire marshal, it might not be worth it. It might not even be plausible. When I read about the trouble some of you go through with just a local fire authority, I can only imagine how hard it would be do obtain all these permits. I’ve thought about compiling a video of my performance, safety procedures, and equipment to maybe aid them in understanding what I do, but who’s to say that will help.

Has anyone every toured or had to deal with this at all? My venues will mostly be clubs, aquariums, community centers, coliseums, etc. I would just like to know if this is doable or worth the hassle.

Thank you very much HOP .

Mel
Liquid Prodigy
www.liquidprodigy.com
www.fierceprogression.com

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hi Mell and Welcome!
Hey do you have insurance? there is a good Insurance company that Pele shared with me a while ago. Its;
Clowns of the U.S. Inc.
Al Fellerman Insurance
E-Mail is alzie@uswest.net
Try getting some insurance if you don't have it. This company insures you for 10,000 in Medical, and 300,000 in fire damage, with No Deductable!!
it runs from April to April, one full year for around $100.
Insurance helps ALOT!! People want to be assured you won't burn their place down.

The Vidio Is a GREAT IDEA! You could send it forward to the cities you are to preform in. You can also send it in to Malcolm for the COL4 Comp. I love seeing new spinners!!! Check out the COL threads, usually at the bottom of the main fourm page.

I have done alot of stuff inside. Most in Alaska, when I was there. I had the fire marcial come and watch with the chief. They watched everything I did, from outside Doucing in my can, spinn off, walk to stage, danceing out, then to my WET Towel off stage. The wet towel is very important! It cuts the flames and smothers the smoke (or vice/versa ) Fire Extingushers Everywhere off stage is also important! Most venues will have some, but I bring my own too.

Well good luck Mell, Hey give us some towns and dates, maby we can come and see ya, or play!!
I'm in Salt Lake now, but will be moving on this summer.

~FireSpirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
Regarding the Clowns of the US insurance...I tried to sign up for insurance through them just before the holidays. I sent in my application and then got a phone call asking what kind of performance I do. I called back and left a messaged stating that I am a fire dancer. I then received a letter in the mail along with my check stating that they no longer insure fire performers due to liability and cost.

So looks like no more insurance through them .

If you are coming to Portland, OR to perform it is easy to get a fire permit here and they are free! Just call the fire marshall's office and ask about a conditional use permit for fire performance. All you need to provide is your name, the location of the performance and that you have gotten the property owner's permission. Then they give you the permit!

Hope this helps-

Cheryl

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the compliment Mel. I am glad to know I have helped, even in the slightest way!

Clowns of the US no longer insures because the carrier they used will not cover fire performers based on speculation not claims. Therefore, they are looking for an alternate carrier to cover fire peeps. They are worth talking to. Hmmmmmmm..... Anyway...

There are a few ways to approach this. Depending on who you were hired by, you can have the promoter take care of this, and in fact, for such an expansive event, the promoter should.

Or, you can get ahold of the contact in charge of each event and have him/her take care of this. What you will need to do, and really the best way is to developed a 3 fold promotional flyer that details what you will be doing, how you are doing it and what your safety protocals are.
Send this ahead of time with the dates/locations of your performance and let the contact take it from there.

Also, because it seems your venue is changing often, you will find so are your headaches. I find that Fire Marshalls are more cautious when it comes to shows at Children's Centers or anything involved with kids, justifiably.

Night Clubs will generally not want to get Fire Marshall's involved, so you can have them sign a liability waiver which says they claim all responsibility in the event of legal reprocussion.

Large venue type things and public festivals that are used to hiring in help will generally want insurance first.

More often than not I have run into little to no issues with fire authorities. Just treat them with respect and understanding. It also helps if you can get the open fire laws for that city before you go so that when you speak with them you can be fully armed with knowledge of their codes and make educated offers of how to work around them.
Best of luck!

[ 26. January 2003, 14:24: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
So you mean my old card is no good????
O-well I still use it anyway!