Forums > Help! > how long do i soke my brand new fire staff?

Login/Join to Participate

phenea1BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I am new at fire spinning. I just bought a fire staff from this website and am wondering how long i have to soak the wicks in lamp oil intil im ready to spin. Please help.

phenea1BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
anyone

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
1 don’t use lamp oil use paraffin
2 dunk them till they stop bubbling and drain till it is just dripping a bit. (Long soaking is not needed it is an old spinners myth)
3 do a search for related topics this one has been covered many many times before you will find many an augment on the merits of pre-soaking and quick dunks if you look for them

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Ok so I just did a search and didn’t come up with much I'm sure iv been involved in these arguments why cant I find them hummmmmmm

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

phenea1BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
thank you very much. But lamp oil is made of almost 100 precent parafin.

phenea1BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
but thanks for the socking tips

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
"almost" it has added chemicals to stop it being so smoky they are not good chemicals to be inhaled (to early to go into details) but if it is all you have it wont kill you this once. a lot of American spinners use Colman’s white gas (I don’t like it the flash point is a bit low for me)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
also have a brows through the articles section of HoP to learn everything you should need to know.

and it wouldnt hurt to check out [Old link] so you can find people near you to teach you new stuff that mightnt be mentioned on here.

happy fire daze

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ovechckaSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
I've heard different things about paraffin from different ends of the spectrum from "do not ingest or get on your skin" to use as medicine against constipation, which i thought was really bizzare!
Where would I buy this stuff?
REI doesn't quite seem like the ideal place for it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Actually paraffin is supposedly quite useful for things like constipation due to its lubricating qualities, I once had an eggbound quail in my aviary and used paraffin to help get the egg out, my two cents

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian