Posted:
https://www.stopthetraffik.org/default.aspx

what do people think of this?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's amazing how such a complicated and slick website can say... so little.

Aside from strongly supporting the utterly obvious stance of "Not Supporting Kidnapping" they don't really do much else but promote themselves and try and sell things.

https://www.stopthetraffik.org/help/10.aspx

Makes me want to start a "Don't put babies in the blender" website. I'll sell keychains that say "Don't put babies in the blender" and promote international "Don't put babies in the blender" day. And I'll be sure to have others try and raise money for my cause. Unless they support putting babies in the blender.

I don't mean to minimize the issue of human trafficing but I think that the website is so ineffective at actually adressing the problem (aside from saying "Kidnapping BAD!") that it minimizes the problem itself.

And the whole misspelling the word traffic just reaks of "trying to be cool."

Perhaps my response is too critical but hey, you asked.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
in our part of the world 'people trafficking' also refers to refugees paying huge amounts for dubious transportation to what they hope will be a safe haven. They have to do this for a variety of reasons eg lack of ability to apply for asylum or immigration in any other way. OR because our government's newly invented 'temporary protection visa' for refugees does not allow for the possibility of family reunion. People traffickers are called evil exploiters

First class flights for corrupt officials from countries people are fleeing from, or politicians families going on holidays does not constitute people trafficking however. That's the perks.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
im with NYC - its a nice sentiment but their proposals seem fairly bland and unthought out

what good is education going to do to stop someone kidnapping another? unless the education is "dont get kidnapped" admitadly education will help the victim cope and maybe find a way out but i doubt that this will make much of a change

as for traffiking when the person put themself forward in order to escape a country, again education will make very little difference other than ensuring the person knows what they are putting themselves forward for which if they are in a war zone etc i doubt they'll worry about too much..

so - nice sentiment but unless they are proposing to become so sort of global police force that tracks down these traffikers i dont think it will do much... frown

(btw traffiking generall refers to communing with spirts etc - well im pretty sure it does so maybe its an anti necromancy site in disguise? ubbangel )

back

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

I don't mean to minimize the issue of human trafficing...

ubblol

how my sides ache from the strength of that irony smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
oh cole, you're so mean...

( ubblol )

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ditto tongue

But on a more serious note....

Nice looking website,shame its just nice looking though.
Personally i would much rather see a crap website filled with loads of information advice etc. than a flashy one with not much thought put into it!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

Written by: NYC

I don't mean to minimize the issue of human trafficing...

ubblol

how my sides ache from the strength of that irony smile

cole. x

Ironic like someone who's pretending to be too cool to use grammar bitching about spelling?

Of course, Captain Sidekick over there has just as little grammatical awareness but will gladly jump on the Ameribashing bandwagon.

There's a difference between a typo and purposely spelling something wrong. Just as there is a difference between making a grammatical error and purposely using poor grammar to look like you're not trying.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
captain sidekick? i was just finding it funny, cause it is.

in any case, i have much use and knowledge of grammar (TEFL makes you do that, as do the other two languages: so many rules *sigh*), so hold off there with the rebuttals or i'll come and recite some rules to you, and you'd get very bored. bigs up for the original point - though i quite like the website content, the 'k' annoys me.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
all i know is, you can't spell, bitch.

how's that for grammar? wink

okay, so i don't use the shift button on forums - but if you think i do it because i'm 'pretending to be cool', you have a very different idea to me of the word 'cool'!

and come on - 'ameribashing bandwagon'? ubblol ubblol ubblol
please.
i take the piss out of one yankee, and suddenly i'm driving an american hating bandwagon?!
cool biggrin

its pretty obvious why they spelt traffic like that i think shrug

firstly, it helps to separate the phrase from its usual meaning and secondly, to relate it more closely to the word 'trafficking', which quite obviously has a 'k' in it.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

and come on - 'ameribashing bandwagon'? ubblol ubblol ubblol

please.

i take the piss out of one yankee, and suddenly i'm driving an american hating bandwagon?!

True, true. I do understand that any shots that were taken were purely personal and not reflective of my country as a whole.

I'll hold my breath and hope you miss the fact that I also missed a "d" in address in an above post.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
shots?

taken?

this is england - we don't do guns.

nor do we do gun-related sarcasm.

i'm definitely not holding my breath for your sense of humour appearing any time soon...

you can also breathe freely though smile

you don't have to worry about the 'd' in address since it has absolutely nothing to do with your ignorance of why the group's founders might have chosen to use a 'k' instead of a 'c' in the word traffic for a website that broaches the problem of human trafficking.

if you think its just because they wanted to 'look cool', i think you are missing the point.

besides, if you want a correctly spelt anti human trafficking website, there is always this portal: www.stopthetraffic.org wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Can you explain why the creators spelt it with a K? Or were you just calling me ignorant to be inflamatory?

Because I can think of several different reasons for using the K.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
man, chill OUT.

i didn't call you ignorant to be inflammatory nor did i imply that you are ignorant in general.

i stated that you were ignorant to the possibility that it was done for a reason other than the founders of the group "trying to be cool".

how did i come to the conclusion that you were ignorant of that possibility?

your first post stated that you thought they did it because they wanted to look cool.

later, i gave two possible reasons for their use of the letter k.

you ignored them.

twice.

the real reason is on the website that i posted a link to above.

i have been trying to explain why i (and quite a few others besides) found your unintentional mis-spelling of the word trafficking funny in that context i.e. because the spelling of the word 'traffiking' is a very good reason to choose to spell traffic 'traffik'.

having to explain to you why something is funny and not spiteful always seem to take the joy out of it... frown

cole. x

[for those that care, the bold bit above is the edit smile ]
EDITED_BY: coleman (1145983709)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:

because the spelling of the word 'traffiking' is a very good reason to choose to spell traffic 'traffik'.

Are you being funny? wink tongue

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bugger! ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
smile I thought that might lighten the mood

kiss for both of you (but NYC's one is better. Sorry)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

man, chill OUT.

Dude, I could not be more chill.

These are knee jerk parrys to your taking a piss. I'm not even trying.

I don't think either of your reasons are why the site spells it with a K. But since neither of us have an actual clue we're both ignorant.

My ignorant guess is that it's closer to the German and therefore has a Eurofeel to it. The movie Traffik was the predicesor to the American film Traffic which was about drugs through Hamburg. It's also got a unique spelling which makes it easier to remember and more marketable. Which, to me, reaked of 'cool'. Kind of like spelling boyz with a z.

You picked on my ironic spelling, I picked on your grammar.

Go back and add a bunch of wink wink wink and ubblol ubblol ubblol to my posts if you need to.

Typical misunderstanding of my dual NYC sarcasm. Thought you would have gotten it from "Captain Sidekick" but I guess I'll have to remember my sarcasm is just a cheap knockoff of British sarcasm.

[See, sarcastic but not sarcastic at the same time... ubblol ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm... the German word is actually "Menschenhandel" ubblol

Traffik is British... it might well be the way the British THINK Germans would spell it, but we're usually experts at adopting Americanisms (and generally prefer the American spelling to the British... probably because it usually means less letters ubblol)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
There was a picture of Daniel Beddingfield on the front page so I closed the window.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its all good mr whysee hug

the "taking a piss" line was genius biggrin

as for why they didn't call it 'stop the traffic', here's an explanation from the website i linked to above:

Written by: www.stopthetraffic.org

In commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the Abolition of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade Stop The Traffic will be supporting a global coalition of organizations who are committed to the abolition of modern-day slavery.

Please visit www.stopthetraffik.org by clicking on the key below and join the global coalition of people committed to stop human trafficking.

Stop The Traffic is an initiative of Justice for Children International and we will resume our campaign under this name in September 2007.

i.e. there's already an organisation called 'stop the traffic' smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well we knew that. You posted that above. I thought we were wondering about the K.

*shrug*

And by the way, after browsing at some other sites (that actually have relevant information and productive ways to help) I find this site even more vague and useless. I stand behind my "Don't put babies in a blender" analogy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
huh? confused

we were talking about the k.

something must be going missing in the translation because as far as i can see, the fact that there is already an organisation called 'stop the traffic' with the domain name www.stopthetraffic.org registered is a completely rational explanation for the new coalition's decision to spell traffic differently shrug

i think the site is a good start towards tackling a serious problem.

it seems to me that it is following a similar path to the 'drop the debt'/'make poverty history'/'make trade fair' campaigns and is taking the first step on that road - raising awareness of the issue.

to do that they are putting together a coalition of charities and organistaions that, once collected under the same initiative (and heading for the same goals), can instigate anti-trafficking projects, start to exert political pressure in slave source and receiving countries, and raise public awareness, understanding and concern over the issue to a much higher level.

however, they can do none of this without funding, which, it seems, the website is also calling for.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood