Forums > Videos > My DVD: The Scales of Poi! :P

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 clap clap clap clap clap clap
It's out! It's done! It's on homeofpoi.com!!!

Yes, I've gone and produced a DVD: The Scales of Poi! A distilation of everything I know about poi. It's loveable. It's funny. It's... well, I can only say so much, because I made it, so you need to order it (yes, YOU) so you can say how great it is, and people will listen to you.

My God, it was a lot of work. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Other people would be more sensible and make a DVD in a sensible way. Me? No. I have to have three camera angles. I have to put myself in a position to turn 24 hours of footage into a 90 minute DVD.

And now it's done! Did I say that already?

Are you excited? I am. Can you tell that I'm excited?

I don't know whether I'm itching to make another one, so I can do it the easy way, rather than the do-everything-the-hard-way way.

Oh, wait, I'm itching to get back to practice. Working on the computer is most definitely different than practicing. I'll just... Oh, shoot. That's right, I'm homeless and I owe the bank money. Should I have listened to my mother? Of course not! I'd be a terrible stripper.

Much love to all of you ubblove

nick biggrin

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
heyitworkedonmetoomycopyisonthewayyyyyyyyyyyyy

SchitzSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:
Woooo excellantay !

I'm a big fan of your style ... I can really see where your Tai Chi background comes into your moves too ( being a Tai Chi'er myself also )

Was hoping you'd bring out a dvd ...I read somewhere ages ago that you were going to do and was searching everywhere to no avail.

But alas ! .... I stumbled across this merry post..and so glad I did...off to bag one now...this minute...

Feel like my poi prayers have been answered smile

Are ya pickin up on my " excited " vibe ?

Jaki

Poivert

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
oh nick you are such a funny gorgeous wonderful man ubblove Best groupie ever wink hug hug hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Good work nick, i'm sure it will be excellent. Looking forward to seeing it very much.

Now i've just gotta finish mine off and there will be a pair of great poi dvd's out this year. I think they should compliment each other very well. By the sounds of it they are pretty different. I reckon between us we'll have pretty much the whole lot covered, lol. Your beautiful flowing style and my geeky techy nonsense. Should accelerate the learning quite a bit.

Well done for making it to the finish, i just gotta keep on pushing before my last few pennys run out.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Big congrats Nick to you and your crew on making a very inspiring DVD........I got to see the copy you gave to us here at HOP a while ago and was totally impressed...Great to have them here at HOP central now in bulk and on the site smile
Definitely a something for everyone kind of DVD to be sure.....

Nice job in "Mastering the music of movement" ( to steal a line off the DVD)

Looking forward to seeing any others that you make in the future, hint hint......
Happy twirling
juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Congrats Nick! Haven't got one yet, but eventually.. looking forward to it! And unlike in the Scales of Poi workshop at UberOz, we now get to watch you in slow motion..rewind.. slow motion, rewind, slow motion.. rewind.. biggrin

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Yes, keep pushing Matt! I will definitely review it on my site, and I also think they'll compliment each other ubbrollsmile

Oh, oh, oh... this is the nervous bit. People have ordered. Now the waiting. Will they like it? Will they throw poi at me? I hope they like it. I'm not always a very organized person. I make up for it by being creative and loveable.

And yes, Kombi Guy, after doing everything the hard way to make this one, I feel a little compelled to make at least one more, so I can do it the less-hard way ubbloco

...That's assuming I get time off from following Newgabe around Europe. It's not easy keeping up with arts-admin superstars ubblol

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"I make up for it by being creative and loveable."

hug2

Getting to the other side smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I got paid today, and now one is in the post on it's way to me biggrin

bounce

Let's relight this forum ubblove

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
congratulations, bro.
ubblove

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Mine arrived this afternoon yeh
Have only watched part of it, looks great ,just what I need to clean up my act and facilitate movement.
Great opening segment nick, wont spoil the surprise by describing it.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Got mine today. I live in North Sweden btw. And I ordered it on the 21st. Damn... I never expected it to get here this quick. Watcbed through and enjoyed it very much. I suddenly rediscovered stalls... And started undersatdning that I usually only stall with my right hand. I need to practice the left hand stalls alot.

Thank you so much for this wonderful product! Looking forward to practice! and to see more of this in the future. (is threre mroe?) hehe... there must be... Off to explore now..

Ciao

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
mine's arrived. Helz Belz and me are going to sit down and watch it tonight over a bifta biggrin

Gayle.....!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
hug hug

I'm loving it Nick. Thank you for sharing your artistry with all of us.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Hurray hurray hurray!!! bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce ubbloco ubbangel

What's a bifta?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That Stumbleupon is a bit good isnt it? biggrin

Bifta = Spliff smile

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
ohh wow! CONGRATS to you, nick!! hug

Can't wait to see it! biggrin

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
I am finding it very useful
Especially the concept of making the planes do what you want rather than just conforming to wall, wheel etc
A very different approach, learning to master control of the poi and versatility rather than just learning patterns.
Already doing me a lot of good

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Started to watch it last night. I enjoyed the intro and especially the bit about warming up although i would have liked to have heard the term "range of movement" as that was what you were effectively doing. Taking each joint through it's range of movement. The spinning was gorgeous and really inspiring. I love watching simple moves done differently and elegantly.

I have now decided to have a purge on basics and flowers. for anyone thinking about buying this i would say this follows on from where all previously published tutorial material stops. I found it was sorta the first course for the advanced level or advanced poi basics. If that makes sense??

Well done Nick, i shall finish watching tonight.

Gayle.....!

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Congrats Nick!
Just ordered a copy, & eagerly waiting for the post.
weavesmiley

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Gayle, yes, well described. "advanced poi basics" is just what I was trying to get at. That's what I mean by "learning your scales." It's a metaphore for approaching poi in a manner that will lead you to being the equivalent of a jazz master ubbrollsmile

If things go well I would love to make a second DVD, which would go further into advanced movements and theory. I learned so much from the first DVD that I want to do anther!

It's wonderful that people are ordering. Kind of surprising in a way, as all my other business initiatives have been such flops. ubbloco

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
but you're cuter now. :P thats the difference.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh nice only a tenner, im so gonna get this! Itle be just what I need to get me up too a decent standard of spinning ive been doing this 7 or 8 months now and im still useless.

Would love to see a teaser tho if one is still on the cards? Congratulations by the way

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Nick - Received the DVD today and have watched it once thru. Excellent! Cannot wait to start wrapping my mind around it all and incorporating everything into my practice. Thanks!

By the way...why do you call them "Moses moves"?

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ten Commandments maybe?

Are they the moves Thou Shalt Not?

eg the HyperHairFire or the AntiKnacker?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Oh, yes, the Moses moves. It's because I have this idea of Moses standing before the red sea, and dramatically raising his arms up on either side of his body, then running across the sea bed, then turning around, and dramatically lowering them again.

...and that story is all about freedom, so I like to imagine it as I do the "Moses moves." :P

n

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
every time I see the description on HoP I think of the movie "Waiting" .... "I'm offering you an opportunity to take it to the next level!"

oh well

sittin on the fence waiting for a trailer smile

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
the magic and secret behind the circles in one dvd

it´s made to open ur mind and the circles to the gates of freedom

merci beaucoup for that nick

peace light and the scales of poi
ap

peace and light

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
watched half of this last night, reminds me of a very über weekend in Edinburgh ubblove

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Trailer coming. Really, it's coming. I spend my days doing heavy renovation work and my evenings dealing with DVDs and export complications and a million other things that aren't at all like practicing poi ubbloco

Ahhh, but the love really does help! ubblove

Continued thanksiness. I only work a couple more days, and then I can split my time between putting up new videos and everything else.

Oooh, I can't wait....

n bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce

Page: