Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I've been using a wireless internet connection for some months and never had real problems connecting until last week. It still says I'm connected to a network but "Cannot open page" keeps coming up. I took my laptop to my boyfriend who has wireless in the house and although my laptop links with his connection, signal strenght even very good, still no luck. What's the problem? Last week I fiddled with it for over an hour and then it suddenly worked again for a day but not sure if it was anything I did and anyway, I wouldn't remember what.
Any wizards around?

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Right, might be an idea to uninstall the drivers, then re-install the latest ones released by your wireless card manufacturer. If you're using windows drivers, or the ones that came with the wirless card (or laptop if it's built in wireless) they may be a bit old. Make sure you have all the files you might need before you uninstall drivers.

Paste the following into a new .txt file, then rename the file to 'devmgr.cmd'. You can then use that file as a shortcut to the device manager, and it also shows any old and hidden drivers that may be causing problems. handy having it on the desktop if you have to keep restarting while installing/uninstalling.

Written by:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start %systemroot%\system32\devmgmt.msc

Once you've got the latest drivers, try and get a connection going with no security on it, and then if things are still playing up you could try things like changing the channel used by both the wireless router and the laptop. It's a long shot but sometimes interference from things like mobile phones, microwaves and a few other things can cause brief disconnections even though you have a good signal most of the time.

Also try putting the router/access point as far as possible from any other equipment, preferably up on a shelf. The signal is a lot better when it's not soaked up by wires and the earthed metal parts of things like printers and computers.

You might want to use the card manufacturers software, the windows connection manager works well most of the time, but can sometimes fail with some cards that need the fine tuning provided by their own software.

One last thing, if windows goes and puts the wireless adapter into what's called an network bridge, with your wired LAN connection and/or firewire if you have that, delete the bridge from the network connections window (right click My Network Places, and choose properties). Wireless has loads of problems working with network bridges.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Polarity

Right,

I start posts like that too sometimes...
ubbangel

Other than what he said, I can offer no advice. hug2

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
You might have a DNS server problem - try going to start > run > type cmd then type: tracert 216.239.57.99

You can also type 216.239.57.99 in to your web browser. If you see google then your connection is fine.

In that case what you need to do it go to start > Settings > network connections > local aera connection > right click > properties > Internet protocol (TCP/IP) > and tell us if you see anything in the DNS servers area...

hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
spank

What are you talking about Jo?
ubblol redface rolleyes footinmouth ubbrollsmile

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
ssssh sym shes on a role wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

Written by: Polarity

Right,

I start posts like that too sometimes...
ubbangel

It might help if you imagine me rolling my sleeves up and cracking my knuckles. Flat cap, braces and oily hands are optional in these imaginings, but they do set the tone nicely biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.