Page: ...
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
so no, as a disclaimer, i'm not good or anything. i only know a little bit. as a dancer, it's how i move anyway, all snakey, but i'm not like the belly dance king or anything. i can move, and make it look pretty belly dance esque. but learning how to REALLY belly dance is helping me get my *ahem* hip area more invloved in my dancing without looking like a dorky white guy at a nasty boody rubbin R&B concert trying to get some... convulsin an gyratin and people callin da ambulance...

but i'm finding that i am of a rare breed indeed... any other guys out there belly dance? any? at all?

it is soooo good for your spine!!!! and let's not forget they have a way better version of "the wave" than breakdancers...

anyway... here's a really cool site with some instruction links that has been helping me, if anyone's interested... my favorite so far is the "belly dance with boticelli" site.

belly dance instruction on the web

[ 01. January 2003, 16:13: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
oooooh ive neva really thought about belly dancing, is it hard?

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Belly dancing is one of the most sensual things to watch.

It doesn't interest me to participate myself aside from being a spectator.

Raphael

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, kitty, i sure have found new muscles in my rib cage i didn't know i had, if that's any clue... owwwweeeeee musssscles... and my shoulders are certainly gettting their share, from holding my arms out and doing the arm stuff...
and mr. 96 sir, i couldn't agree more. soooo kundalini, and doggonit i just can't help but notice lately the effect that it has on women to watch a guy belly dance too. that gooey feeling goes both ways...i'll keep a clean topic here and just say that much .

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I have neve heard of a guy Belly Dancing? But I guess the Poi Dance was for Females as well.

I spunn with some cool chicks who Belly Danced in Homer Alaska. I got them into Fire Fingers as well and they now belly dance with fire!
Verry Sexual!!
And it doesn't hurt if you have a bit of a tummy. Actually it is a pluss!

Happy Belly Dancing!

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I really really want to see boys belly dance now. I have heard Arashi say it is amazing a few times. So are there any belly-licious boys in Syd who flex their abdominals to music?

( alternatively I could just start bugging Ray to learn )

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
hmmmm... great topic!

I've seen the most amazing male belly dancer performing with a middle eastern band... "shekle & hide" It was really wonderful to watch, the same movements end up looking SO different on the male body form...

Actually I think there is different emphasis on the movement between men and women dancers... Like I think for the egiptian walk the ying feminine energy rocks the hips down to the earth, where as the yang male energy flicks the hips upward... intricate... but does end up looking very different

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
A guy with really developed abs could do a lot of weird stuff belly dancing. If you could isolate each muscle and flex them in diffrent patterns and stuff. The level of difficulty would be extreme but it would be possible.

A image of waves starting at the top and bottom of the abs and meeting in the middle, then going back to the top and bottom comes to mind.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok I'm pretty open minded when it comes to such things. I even went as far as looking at the site you thought was usefull. I was looking at the instructions step by step and I figured, Yea that makes sense. Then I got to the bottom of the page and there was the woman putting all the moves together and no way could I see myself managing that. Good luck with it though.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yes arashi, it is rare indeed, but becoming more common, it seems every time I turn around.
I have been involved in Belly dance for 10/11 years now, and it is a great love of mine.

About the dance, first, no one has to have really developed muscles to dance. Dance strengthens them, but belly is about having a supple muscle structure, not chisled. Traditionally in the culture of belly dance, the dancers were not thin and, as with many other dance forms, sinewy. The dance originated as a celebratory dance for people of all sizes. It is about celebrating life and yourself, as you are. The sexual aspects of it were actually popularized by media at the 1936 Chicago Worlds Fair, which is also where to the term "belly" was coined.

Anyway, in middle east culture there is a strong presance of men in the dance community.
Middle Eastern-Oriental-"Belly" dance as we know it now has gone through soooo many incarnations of dance truly, and that even the more female dances can now include men. However, while women dance in a way that is based more on emotional expression (not sexuality or sensuality, though it is just because of the movement of the dance), the male dances are an expression of strength and power, most especially true because of the difference in musculature.
Anyone can dance belly. I have taught two men, and at the studio I frequent have seen several men pass through, and even one who takes classes often. One of the most famous male belly dancers was actually a ballet dancer previously.

THe basics of the dance are easy to learn depending on how stiff your body is. To combine the movements fluidly and really dance takes much practice and skill, like anything else, but is worth it. In addition to strengthening your muscles, it also is a great meditative dance, it helps self-confidence, and is great for respiratory and cardio-vascular (even the slow dances).
THe other really fantastic thing about belly dance is that there are soooo many forms of it.
Pharonic
Egyptian Cabaret
Egyptian Pop
Gawanzee
Tribal
Fusion
Nubian
Malay
Dunyavi
(these are the ones I know or am learning, and have found an endearment to..there are many more)
There are also those Turkish, Indian,etc....those which are localized to a specific area.
Each of these have different variations of movements and such, and are quite remarkable to watch as well as do.
Also another fun part of the dance is that props are used...canes, candles, swords, veils, etc... I am working with a wonderful local troupe to add some spinning props to the shows. I'll let you know how it goes!

Much can be found on the net about this. If you plan on persuing Belly dance (and I thoroughly encourage it!) check out your local studios, videos and websites to really geta flavor for what styles suit you. If one does not work but you like the feeling of the movements, don't give up as there is so much out there that the dance has to offer!

If anyone wants to know anything else, I'd be happy to help....just shoot me a pm!

Happy, healthy shimmies!
(sorry it's long)
Pele

[ 02. February 2003, 10:02: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Heh okay how about this.

A guy with really developed abs could do a lot of weird stuff Newage nontraditional pseudo-belly dancing. If you could isolate each muscle and flex them in diffrent patterns and stuff. The level of difficulty would be extreme but it would be possible.

A image of waves starting at the top and bottom of the abs and meeting in the middle, then going back to the top and bottom comes to mind.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Now I want to learn!
I love to dance! I wonder, Belly dance with Poi sounds interesting?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Now, this may just be the viewpoint of a flaming heterosexual, but its just not the same when men belly dance.

It seems to be missing something..

Raphael

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
Different centres of gravity perhaps?

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
ha ha ha male belly dancing now that is something ide definately like to see
hmmm after suffing myself silly at crimbo i definatly need to re-descover my tummy so i think im guna give it a go arashi

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure, maybe thats the reason..

Raphael

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
{boy this threads been busy while i've been away!!}

well, yes, guys don't have big hips, so a lot of the rocking hip movements aren't quite as effectively seen, but still nice, and there is a LOT more to belly dance than just the hips. there are arm movements, and undulations, and turns, and all kinds of stuff. just trust me on this one, it looks darn good for men too. and it's helping my spine immensely.
i have always had a powerful abdomen, tho as pele said power is not necessary. i won the presidential award for physical fitness for sit ups when i was a wee lad. i think i did like 75 in a minute. i have a six pack whether i work out or not. so this stuff is right up my alley. i've seen a woman that can make it look like there is an anaconda inside their guts slithering around and pushing against the inside of their skin. *sigh* someday. yea, sounds weird but it was THE MOST EROTIC EXPERIENCE i think i've ever had involving my eyes alone .

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
Ok. This is just my 6 dollars and 20 cents. I have been a member of the SCA and the HFS for eighteen years and seven days. One of the most incredible sights I have ever seen was a Male Belly Dancer. He was a heavy weapons fighter, and a Knight, which means he was a kick ass fighter.When he started dancing, every woman that could get there, was crowding around and drooling so much it could have filled an olympic sized pool. He got propositioned by at least fifteen women, and actually took six of them up on it. I actually got to see him, when I was thirteen. That was five years ago, and I still drool over that memory.

As far as belly dancing itself goes, a great resource sight is www.fcbd.com
Fat Chance has a line of video's and dvd's with instructions, although they are geared towards women. In my short career as a belly dancer, I have found them to be very helpful. Just my oppinion
, and

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
aha, Ash, i've really wanted to learn Iranian finger dancing moves, but maybe belly dance too now you've given such a drool-seducing beacon of a role-model for us

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I found this article recently and thought you guys might be interested in it....

https://raqstar.com/table_of_contents.htm

About FCBD...my god those women are amazing..completely my idols. However, what they do is AMERICAN TRIBAL and WORLD FUSION
This is not a traditional form of belly dance, it is a blend of Belly, african, flamenco and indian dances. Tribal is about the power and strength of women and the community of women. Even in the instruction video's of FCBD she explains the movements in terms of womens bodies....
I have come across many troupes that do not welcome men into this particular genre for this reason. While Ashia's point of them being absolutely astounding is spot on, for men to learn you might want to look into Cabaret and Egyptian Pop, since those forms are most easily adapted to the male body and since there are men who dance this form already to really look to for inspiration and education. Another style which, invented by the NYC dancer Dalia, would be good for men is Dunyavi. It has some very strong movements, and usually a comedic playful style.
I just watched a video of a dance couple from Germany (names forgotten, I will find out for you). First of all, is the the most incredible male dancer I have ever seen...of all genres. My Gods!!!! Next, he did some of the most creative bellydances. One he put a mask over the back of his head and a "woman shaped" costume over his back, and a veil over his face...and then proceeded to do an entire rigorous belly routine backwards as this female character. It was funny, transfixing, engaging and absolutely astounding. Something to really aspire to. I get all hot thinking about him!
So...what man can I give hip circle lessons to? LOL

Pele

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
All things being equal, I guess I'd rather watch women belly dance then men.

I also like chocolate ice cream better than vanilla.

Raph

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For those who would like more info on the german couple I mentioned, their names are Beata and Horatio.
Horatio was a ballet dancer, met Beata, they fell in love and he is the most amazing male belly dancer in the world now, and really he is better than many, many female dancers I know or have seen! Definately worth a look-see.

https://www.oriental-fantasy.com/

And Astar, you are missing the point about the abs thing...you don't have to have chisled abs to do that stuff, in fact, it is better if you don't. Because the movement of the abdominals is really built around tensing and releasing, if your abs are chisled, and therefore closer to tense, the moves are more subtle and not as easy to see. Likewise if there is too much extra weight on the abs the contractions are not seen either. It is a fine line to walk really but supple is needed to get the full abdominal effect.
Watch a dance video sometime of professional bellydancers. You rarely see a chisled one, fit yes, but even heavy people can be fit and lovely.

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I do it all the time Aster, bellydance with poi,(and staves, and fans, and veils, and bowls, and candles, and swords, and snakes, and....) and I am training others to do the same.

First of all, look in your area for a possible teacher. It is the easiest way to really get god technique. For video's do an amazon search. The basics by Neena and Veena are really great teaching videos as they explain things very simply and beautifully. Dolphina is also great but a bit more difficult to follow.
Don't put poi to the bellydance right away, as it gets confusing. Take your time with one then gradually work the other in. If I think of others I will let you know!

Pele

sMythmember
10 posts

Posted:
this is a happy subject for me. i love to belly dance. i've been a prfessoinal dancer now for 5 years and have studied for 10. i think that classes with a good teacher is a great way to learn. videos are good too but the one on one experience with a good teacher is great especially when you can see what you are doing in the mirror. plus i wanted to add that my first teacher has a great website for awsome tribal metal and mirror costumes you can buy online. do a search on belly dance supplies and look for unicorn belly dance supplies. she has cool stuff for reasonable rates. i've been into for long enough to know what is over priced.

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
I've finally got one to play with at work..... it's FANTASTIC

https://www.atrbiotech.com/bellydancer.htm

I don't think it's particularly erotic though? And I must admit I can't see how you could do poi with it or how it's good for your back

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm......
"The smooth combination of vertical and horizontal orbital motion allows more rapid exchange of solvents "

sounds like chemistry to me!!!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
pele;
quote:
you don't have to have chisled abs to do that stuff, in fact, it is better if you don't. Because the movement of the abdominals is really built around tensing and releasing, if your abs are chisled, and therefore closer to tense, the moves are more subtle and not as easy to see
man, that's the truth. been really focusing on stretching my abs and ribs and hips. anybody want my six pack? the darned thing! totally kidding- i have love handles out the wazoo . being able to shimmy rock my hips using my legs with my tummy relaxed!?! uuugh. it hurts, owey. lovin those figure eights, tho. if only i had a _real_ teacher... really, i'm still lovin all the spiral spinal wavey movements, that's what i like, my lower back ain't quite relaxed enough for too much hips. eeeasin into those.
i love spinning. ever checked out indian dance, ladies? with the whole foot stompey thing they got going on? and really cool arm action with their spins. michael jackson can do lots of spins.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh man that beata and horatio video is where i totally got my inspiration for a lot of arm and gestural stuff!!! my friend has it and he projects it in the visuals at some of our dance parties, and i see it once in a blue moon, usually a bit weird in the head. it is great.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hey pele, i was wondering if you could point me in a direction... i am having a really hard time finding pics of traditional male belly costumes... cause males don't traditionally do belly! the ONLY one i've seen is that beata n horatio pic, that's it! any suggestions? or do i just have to go at it from scratch? been practicing a lot, so i'm ready for a real belly costume! yeeehaa! god i love belly SO MUCH!!!!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
and on a side note i've been practicing the moves where you make part of your tummy pop out like there's a snake inside... man, it sure is fun!

Xirtammember
37 posts

Posted:
Hey Arashi. This site has a ton of links for guys plus the lady who runs the site is a costumer and belly dancer. https://www.davina.us/CNSummer2002/MaleBellyDancer.html

I know of a few male belly dancers and one is a good friend. I love watching belly dancers.
They are so slinky

And Daddy! They took my boot!

Page: ...