Forums > Technical Discussion > How do you make staff, metors & clubs? : How to make Poi

Login/Join to Participate

PoibabeBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I'm total skint and i spin poi i have brought 2 pairs of poi and have made my own.I'm really interested in staff, metor and club twirling. does anyone know how to make these, without 2 much trouble.
Here's How to make poi...
1) Weigh out 80g of rice(you can vairy thisto how heavy you like them)
2)get a 15cm squared pece of fabric.
3)place the rice in the middle
4)Fold the fabric in 1/2 &sew up the sides NOT along the top
5)push the 2 corners which are attached to your sewing and the open top together & sew up the sides to form a squared bace pyramid.
6)Leave a small hole in the top of your pyramid & measure the right amt of string or chord for you (if useing string plat pieces together) tie a Knot in the end a and place into the prymid.
7)sew it up
8)deside what colour poi you want to make cut out a peice of fabric that will cover the poi make like the pyramid before this adds extra strengh for the bag & chord.
9)TO make the handles get a piece of webbing or other wide ribbon like stuff fold in half take the outside edges and fold downsew along the botton(where the ends are) attach cord end inbetween a flap for extra stengh.

These poi look very profestionable and you can easily add ribbons on the end. all the sewing can be done by machine or hand. any questions please ask
Sorry about the spelling and gramma

chris19SILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
Well concerning Meteors and Staffs I can help you.
First the staff:
1.For training a standard piece of wood is enogh. Take one that has a diameter of about 25mm and won't break too fast.
2.If you want a fire staff, take an aluminum pipe (lengt as prefered, diameter between 20 and 25 mm, wall thickness 1 or 2mm better are 2)
3.Put a piece of wood into it to stabilize it
4.Put a griptape on the pipe so you can hold it better.
5.Buy as much Kevlar as you want it and put it to the ends of the staff (I have 0,5 meters of 10cm broad Kevlar on each end). One good possibility is to screw it on (but don't forget to make holes in it before)

Now to meteors
Do you know how to make monkeyfists? If not there are good instructions in the internet. Buy a rope of 6 meter length and make monkeyfists on each end. Finished.

twirling greets

hilli billi

Think but never worry for tomorrow will come anyway

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

As for clubs, some pretty respectable ones can be made from newspaper and tape.

This site here shows how.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
They look awesome! *scurries off to find newspapers* Bovril, have you made any?

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Staff Construction

I made the following guide which explains how to make a basic 4' wooden staff with 2.5" wicks. Of course, you may change the length of the staff and size of wick to fit your preference but make sure the dowel you use is at least 1" thick. The one in the example below is 1.5".

Needed Materials:
1 x Wooden Dowel (1" minimum diameter)
2 x Strips of Kevlar
1 x Roll of Aluminum Tape
4 x Screws
1 x Drill
1 x Roll of Grip Tape (Tennis Racquet Grip Tape)
1 x Roll of Decorative Tape (Gaffers Tape)

Preparing the Dowel
- Drill two holes, approximately half way through the dowel, at each end. Place the first hole ¾” from the end and the second 1 ¾” from the end.
- Wrap each end in aluminum tape covering at least 8”.
- Poke the aluminum covering the holes to expose them.
- Mark the staff so you know where your holes are once they are covered by wick.

Wicking the Staff
- Roll your wicking around the ends.
- Fold the last inch of wicking back under itself and position the fold over the holes.
- Drill each screw into the Kevlar and manually position the screw into the holes before continuing into the dowel.

Adding the Grip
- Balance the staff on your finger to find the true center, mark this spot.
- Measure 9” to each side of center and mark those spots.
- Wind grip tape between those markers.
- Line the edges of the grip with gaffers tape to prevent peeling.
- Balance the staff once more to find true center and mark it with more gaffers tape.

Non-Https Image Link

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tom_Shill

They look awesome! *scurries off to find newspapers* Bovril, have you made any?

I have indeed, 5 of them smile

They work very well, although they're a pain to make if you've only got scissors to cut the paper with, the pages keep sliding around and it's difficult to get a straight cut in the same place on every sheet. - a guillotine works much better.

That's a pretty damned cool set of instructions you've got there ICoN biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thanks smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Ignarnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
good advice there hilli billi- thanks a lot!

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
practice monkeyfists are easy to make and yes the instructions are on the net and even on here. but the instructions lead one to believe that you need a lot of strength to tighten the knot (i.e. need to pull hard on both ends to tighten). What really need to do is start tightening from the inside out and work your way outwards pulling tight as you go. the core materials vary. I usually use a wooden core with either braided wire or an eyebolt that i can hook onto. although the wire is better i think cause you can permanently add a swivel to it, which your quicklink would then attach to. the number of loops you use will vary the size of the fist.

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

NollykinGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
Thanks Icon! that's a fantastic guide for the fire staff - I work at a hardware store (am here now! on lunch break!) so I have easy access to all of this. I'm gonna go rummage up some supplies biggrin

Thanks!

We want a band, that plays loud and hard every night-
That doesn't care how many people are counted at the door-
That would travel one million miles and ask for nothing more,
Than a plate of food and a place to rest.

Mr_NenderfulBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
thanks for this staff building tutorial, its exactly what ive been looking for. smile