bradhornBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Need Help with Anti Spinning and Stuff like an Antispin Flower

HOW DO YOU DO IT?

i saw a few explanations but nothing helped ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

VEGEMITE!!!!!!!!!!!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Take one poi in one arm, spin the poi in forward rotations and then rotate your arm in forward rotations. This will create a regular flower. Arm and poi are rotating same direction.

Now, spin the poi forward as before, but rotate your arm backwards (swimming backstroke). This is antispin, poi rotating one direction, arms rotating the other. Now apply to both arms and then spin it altogether.

good luck.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Which explanations have you already seen?

We might just start repeating things you've already read and not found helpful.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Thats an incredibly simple and great way to explain. Nice one Suibom!. I thought I was getting mine wrong but it looks like I havnt been hehe. They look lovley I was sure they couldnt be that simple to do, ta you just made my day.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Joe, the basic concept of flowers isn't complicated, but the plane control is...

One thing to keep in mind is to keep your arms as straight as possible, try to make the biggest flower you can.

You're going to find that control is more difficult in some areas, mainly when your arm is straight out behind you and I find it helps to just stop your flower when your arms are horizontal, and try to note what's happening behind you. Is your poi going off on some funny angle?

Don't forget to practice in both directions too,,eventually you're going to want to explore turning these things

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
It is to a noobster like me =^_^=

I know and it makes my arms ache a little too, I found that if I look down and learn farward a little I can do a full circle, that swing when my arms behind my back is a whore! lol

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well you seem to have gotten the basic premise of flowers form just a few sentences posted above. I just said the idea wasn't complicated..but the practice is a whole different story.

Working these planes with just one poi helps, both directions, regular and antispin, this allows you to concentrate more on control of the poi, especially in those problem areas. The one poi method also eases experimenting with turns. Just don't forget to use the other hand, you may want to consider devoting a little extra attention to your weaker hand too.

bradhornBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
thanks guys thats helpfull

everything ive read was really wordy and not to the point....... VERY UNHELPFULL

you guyys are great

thnks

VEGEMITE!!!!!!!!!!!

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
when practicing anti spin flowers with one hand (or both) move your hands around in a square at first, its A LOT easier.

"Quote coming soon..."

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Written by: bradhorn

thanks guys thats helpfull

everything ive read was really wordy and not to the point....... VERY UNHELPFULL

you guyys are great

thnks

Well, I think Suibom's explanation was pretty simple and clear, and I dunno how else to rephrase it than how he has said. Garthy has done a couple of animations to try and show you how it works. Dunno if they will help, but with Suiboms explanation and the pics, things may become clearer.

Flower

Anti-spin Flower

Hope that helps a bit more. And, very ungrateful btw spank

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Look at you getting all helpfull, *locks asena in a cupbored for no reason*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I thought Bradhorn was being a **** when I read the reply first.

Then I re-read "i saw a few explanations but nothing helped " and read "everything ive read was really wordy and not to the point"

I think he/ she/ it was reffering to the other threads being unhelpful, and that this thread was helpful.

smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I was thinking sarcasam myself, but I like the other threads idea better

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
@ UCOF: oooooooooooooooooo I see, oops I look moody now ubblol

Sorry Bradhorn smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Well, as long as we're consistantly 'unhelpfull' with two "ll"s at the end wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

ElzibellesSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I get it!!

Have been spinning poi for a couple of months and keep coming across antispin and flowers but was never entirely sure what they were. Thanks for this clear definition and explaination - and the animations really help too. ubbrollsmile

The world is a park. Go play in it. x x x