Posted:
...what's the difference?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
What is the meaning of Pie?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
spelling

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
If you're actually serious...

This refers to something close by, that refers to something farther away. The exact line of demarcation changes with your frame of reference of course.

next?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Yays!

Another of these threads. I used to like these. They were a fantastic excuse not to do any work, and to increase my post count a whole lot. Now I totally get why people find this annoying. Hohum.

I'd agree with Kyrian, but I'm sure NYC will be along soon to proove her wrong, so I'm gonna keep my mouth shut tongue

*covert hipthrust*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

135 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

If you're actually serious...

well tom? are you serious? wink

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Yays!

Another of these threads. I used to like these. They were a fantastic excuse not to do any work, and to increase my post count a whole lot. Now I totally get why people find this annoying. Hohum.

I'd agree with Kyrian, but I'm sure NYC will be along soon to proove her wrong, so I'm gonna keep my mouth shut tongue

*covert hipthrust*

See? I keep telling people I'm predictable... But do they listen?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ARRGH - seriousness in chat eek *drops on the floor*

*back to business* okay but then this can't be that or at the most that can only be like this ... as this and that are not the same!... ? and as it depends on the framing, then this can be that for you when to me it's still this... ......... ...................?

confused

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Also This and That can be used in differnt tenses, this being present tense, that being past tense... I think!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ach boy - now I'm not just confused with this or that, he has to bring up tension in to this one... umm

135 posts

Posted:
it's all perception and probability

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
This (Plural these)
1. Used to refer to the person or thing present, nearby, or just mentioned: This is my cat. These are my tools.
2. Used to refer to what is about to be said: Now don't laugh when you hear this.
3. Used to refer to the present event, action, or time: said he'd be back before this.
2. Used to indicate the nearer or the more immediate one: This is mine and that is yours.

THat (plural those)
1. Used to refer to the one designated, implied, mentioned, or understood: What kind of soup is that?
2. Used to refer to the one, thing, or type specified as follows: The relics found were those of an earlier time.
3. Used to refer to the event, action, or time just mentioned: After that, he became a recluse.
2. Used to indicate the farther or less immediate one: That is for sale; this is not.
3. Used to emphasize the idea of a previously expressed word or phrase: He was fed up, and that to a great degree.
4. The one, kind, or thing; something: She followed the calling of that which she loved.
5. those Used to indicate an unspecified number of people: those who refused to join.
6. Used as a relative pronoun to introduce a clause, especially a restrictive clause: the car that has the flat tire.
7.a. In, on, by, or with which: each summer that the concerts are performed.
b. According to what; insofar as: He never knew her, that I know of.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
meditate gotta breath this one... smile Thanks smile

So is it

"This" or "that kind of money"?

wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1138648730)

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

So is it

"This" or "that kind of money"?

wink

I don't know ... what country are you in?

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Tom, Are you, as a native speaker of English (i Assume after reading your posts) really finding the difference between the two words SO hard to grasp?

Hmm... Can anyone tell me what this fine Gent is doing? wink

Non-Https Image Link

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

135 posts

Posted:
contemplating if the bird in his hand IS worth the 2 in the bush. biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Or as Cantus once said,
A kiss from a pretty girl is worth two from an ugly one.

biggrin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
this is so true

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna test that theory tomorrow tongue (probably not the best emoticon)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

ARRGH - seriousness in chat eek *drops on the floor*

*back to business* okay but then this can't be that or at the most that can only be like this ... as this and that are not the same!... ? and as it depends on the framing, then this can be that for you when to me it's still this... ......... ...................?

confused

there's two uses of "that" first of all. you can use the one that refers to parts of sentences in the sentences you use the one that refers to objects -- "this chair, that he had gotten at this auction house i was just telling you about..."

in informal usage, you're also going to see crap like the above, plus --"..., well it shouldn't have been at that auction house by any means." -- where it switches a "this" to a "that" essentially internally, by stepping from inside the story (where the auction house was "this" auction house being discussed) to the real world (to end the story?) and shifting it to "that" auction house (that was discussed in the story). it would be weird to keep using this and that interchangably, but you might be able to think of a way to pull it off. languages are mushy on the insides with stuff like this, i guess. (i could have said "that" there and it would have made 0 difference).

GOOD. LUCK. WITH. YOUR. ENG. LISH. !

ubbloco

-- dut

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
redface no, sorry, I'm a kraut wink (which actually means a certain kind of plant - a) a herb or b) some small grassy plant that is growing and reproducing without any (obvious) use to mankind...)

so to get back to this and that money: if it's "this@ kind of money, it's closer to me and has some kind of a relevance? ("I earned all this money") "that" kind of money is further away? ("I spent all that money")....

Thanks .:star:. and dut for the input...

bounce although I still am not confident - the daily use of words often depends very much on region, status and condition...

@star: hope that/this friend of yours is better hug

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

Or as Cantus once said,
A kiss from a pretty girl is worth two from an ugly one.

Did he? He's witty sometimes that fraggle....

Meh