Forums > Social Discussion > terminator here we come .... and other interesting robotic news

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i though this was kind of cool in a oh dear war driven robots to destroy us all kind of way https://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200601/kt2006011617112710160.htm
this just opens up a whole new playground for hackers, i mean really imagine the fun u could have with a hacked robot that has live video feed *shrugs* i suppose it has to happen eventually

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
That's pretty cool, but aren't there already a few other threads on the subject of computers taking over started by you?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
heyyyy - that's why we practice "ego-shooters"? (cool term by the way...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i only see one problem, do you really want your combat bot ordering a pizza from china?

oh hell yeah ben, as soon as robotic soldier are created hackers will have a joyride, we could start 'robot wars' without even having to pay for the bots! smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Assuming the designers were stupid enough to fit them with an wireless internet connection for easy hacking of course. umm

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
well, the humans in terminator were able to capture and hack the enemy robots, werent they? would it be possible to hit them with an emp, then reprogram them?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Possibly, but I think that an EMP shorts things or destroys ROM which means they'll have to replace the chips which might make things very difficult.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Sorry to post twice but I just remembered about the Tachicoma, the multi-legged robots in Ghost In The Shell, now they were cool.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
aw, they're only gonna be the size of a dog or horse frown

Am i the only one to see that GIANT robots are the obvious way forward for law enforcement?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
No, I'm with you on that!! Golems will sort the Chavs out pretty thoroughly I'd say!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
....has no-one else wondered this....Ben, why are you reading the Korea Times?

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
lol, because its the koreans that want to make nasty robots, not the newyorkers wink :P, as far as i know, that right NYC?

i say if you're going to make tough robots you might as well give making the transformers a shot, they could do covert ops and they can be really big, and small arms dont effect them, and they have orange and purple lasers! biggrin

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mr Majestik

lol, because its the koreans that want to make nasty robots, not the newyorkers wink :P, as far as i know, that right NYC?

apart from mit all the really cool robots projects happen in japan because they have big big budgets for such things, they actually have a humanoid robotics program in the hope of being able to look after their aging population
Written by: simian

aw, they're only gonna be the size of a dog or horse frown

Am i the only one to see that GIANT robots are the obvious way forward for law enforcement?

give them time and youll be able to buy a megadoomer mmmmmm megadoomer

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
the japanese just understand the fundamental coolness of robots better.

in fact, i blame the western world's lack of robots mainly on Robby the robot from Forbidden Planet.

i mean, let's just compare and contrast shall we?

East:
Non-Https Image Link

West:
Non-Https Image Link

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
lol, i'd choose the bubbly one (as long as he has orange or purple lasers biggrin )

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
AIBOs DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nooooOOoOoOOOoOoOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOoo
https://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/archives/2006/01/heartless_sony.html

tis a sad day when a robot dog gets put to sleep ubbcrying ill miss you aibo

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i was told the other day that there was a robot dog that committed suicide becuase its owner left it alone in a flat for two months, i didnt believe him, is it possible?

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

I was gonna wait a few more years till the made an even better super cool amazing aibo then buy one!!!! God damn! Evil sony!!!!

*walks away mardy*

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mr Majestik

i was told the other day that there was a robot dog that committed suicide becuase its owner left it alone in a flat for two months, i didnt believe him, is it possible?

since you can write your own code for the aibo yes it is possible to have programmed the aibo to lay down and die if it doesnt recieve input from its touch sensors, the aibo making a decision to commit suicide by jumping into the toilet well that would be pushing it bit as the resolution on the cameras is crud and theres only one of them.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Ohh check out this beast.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!