MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Weather.com says that it's 6°F (-14°C) outside. Ok, I'm going to walk to class now.

Wish me luck.

*counts fingers and toes*

Ok, I've got ten of each. Let's see if I can't make it there with all of them still attached to me. (They haven't taught us how to fix it if they fall off yet )

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Careful Mikey - don't fall over - it can be slippy when it's that cold - brrrrrr!

Keep a hat on too hunny - need to keep your brains warm!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've been complaining all week about the weather in Dublin turning cccccold. But I spose I should count my blessings.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Wow, that's quite impresive.

On the plus side, I suppose hangovers don't last long, you'd just have to step outside to clear it

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Brr is right.

There was a time, when I lived in Washington state, that I thought 32 degrees F (0 C) was chilly, but bareable....quite an accomplishment for someone who was born and raised in New Orleans..a sub-tropical climate.

Then....then I moved back to the southeast...Houston to be exact. Once in Houston, and back in the sub-tropical climate, I reverted to my non-cold nature. If it's 40 degrees F out at night, I'm shivering.

What a wimp I am.

right...done rambling.

Hope you made it to class and back with all of your appendages still attached.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
All 21 appendages are all still attached

It's so beautiful with the snow. We didn't get a decent snowfall like this last year. I'm so happy to see roofs with snow on them, no more brown grass to get me down, and the kids next door even made a snowman today! I'll make one this weekend if the snow is still around!

-Mike

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Gotcha beat Mike, yesterday it went down -16°C!

:basks in Canadian pride; gets hypothermia:
Non-Https Image Link

Today it's it technically warmer, but it's still blisteringly cold. I have been huddled under blankets all day in my drafty house, watching the grey skies and snow fly by the window. It's *completely* silent right now apart from the wind that's howling against the walls.

Winter = no poi, so that kind of sucks, but otherwise it is such a serene, still, and beautiful season, and I don't think I'll ever get enough.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
It's pretty weird that the UK is as far away from the equator as canada (I wanted to phase that using longitude or latitude but I couldn't remember which was which...) but it rarely gets below -5C here . Mind you, it never gets above 20C either

somthing to do with the sea I've been told.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jo:
[QB]
somthing to do with the sea I've been told.
QB]
I believe the oceans sucks up sun energy when it's warm and releases it when it's cold, keeping the weather pretty constant. Like a 20,000,000,000 litre water bottle.

I used to live in England actually! I remember getting 3 cm of snow and being absolutely ecstatic.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We were at -20C last night, or thereabouts...about -2/3F and this past summer regularly hit in the high 30'sC (98+F).
Our temperature changes are drastic here. It can really suck.
I feel for you Mike. The show I perform in right now is an outdoor festival in the snow and cold (snow is fun though, lots of snowball fights and such). 4, sometimes more, hours out in subzero temps with a lake wind! Nothing like that to instill the Christmas spirit in you!
However, the numb toes make some good performance pieces!

From my insane character Maggie: "Constable, COnstable...I'd like to report a theft."
Constable: "Really Maggie, what item has been pilfered?"
Maggie: "My toes. I can't feel them so much assuredly when I was napping someone stole them!"

Keep warm, borrow some body heat!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
It cold here. Butt stuck to chair hehe. Must get to sunny SoCal

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It was -1F here this AM (-15C or so). But I think all our snow is going to melt tomorrow.

We need MORE snow here.

Ok, and while we're on the topic, although this isn't strictly "social," what tips do people have about spinning in the cold? Between the cold and the finger loops on my pois cutting off the circulation, I'm afraid to!

But if I don't spin fire soon, I am going to burst!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Or maybe I can just hold out until I get to SoCal.

[ 10. December 2002, 12:09: Message edited by: MikeGinny (Lightning) ]

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Silk is the best winter fabric, and they just so happen to make silk thermals. Layer those with cotton or wool clothes. Boots may be clunky but imperitive. If you can, take a shovel and break the ice or light your poi up without spinning and use them to melt a space for you to spin without worrying about slipping. Thermal gloves or lined leather ones. They do cut back a little on feeling but keep your hands warm so that the cold and cut off circulation (another reason I don't use finger noose) don't have a terribly negative effect. Mostly you need to worry about your nose and ears! LOL
I LOVE to do fire in the snow. See if you can find someone to take a photo of it, it looks neat. The speed you need to capture the fire causes the snowflakes to kind of freeze in these ethereal blurs. If I can find the photo I have of my fire breathing in the snow (last year, calm down! ) I'll post it.

It's supposed to be in the 40'sF here this weekend! Oh yeah, mud and slush everywhere! I'd rather have cold and snow! LOL

Hope this helps MikeG!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

alix_r2002member
12 posts

Posted:
Sorry man, I feel for ya-that would suk. Me and cold don't get along very well. I was bitchin when it got to 25f.

I sought advice and cooperation from all, but not permission...

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Pele,
i am looking for info on spinning in snow, so if you have good info, please be ever so kind as to refer to the "Spinning in snow? Northern spinners please read" thread in the Help! forum...
Thanks very much, Jade

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!