Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*sniff* Ugh. I thig I hab a code *cough*

I hade dis. *Ke-TCHOO!*

I bean, I feel fide, bud by node id all sduffed ub! Ad *COUGH COUGH* I hab dis cough.

*Ke-TCHOO!!!*

Ken sobeone blease brig be sub dea wid hodey? *sniff*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Hairy TaitBRONZE Member
109 posts

Posted:
Yeah...i've got a nasty cold too.... It's rubbish.....I'm going out fo a meal with me friends on saturday to see in the new year...... (Mongolian Buffet restaurant, sounds ace ) and unless this clears up, i won't be able to taste a thing......!!

Great......!

It's a very interesting story, Future Boy....!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so what with all the medical advice that's getting thrown at me, I might as well give my "Primer on Dealing with an Upper Respiratory Infection."

1) Well over 90% of acute infections affecting the nose and throat are viral, not bacterial. The two most common bacterial infections in this region are sinusitis (sinus pain, drainage, upper toothache, and fever being hallmarks) and streptoccal pharyngitis (strep throat). A "nose cold" is almost certainly viral and nothing has been demonstrated to make it go away any faster.

2) "Drugstore in a pill" medications are convenient, but have pitfalls. You can't adjust the dose and most people don't know the complete set of ingredients in each medication. These pills usually contain a pain reliever, a decongestant, an antihistamine, and some cough suppressant. It's best to take these medications separately. Here are some medications that can help control symptoms, their side-effects, and precautions:

a) Pain relievers: Includes acetaminophen (paracetamol, TYLENOL), ibuprofen (MOTRIN, ADVIL), and naproxen (ALEVE, NAPROSYN).

Acetaminophen works mostly in the brain to relieve pain and fever. It is a very effective pain reliever and will also reduce fever. Children under 13 or under 50kg should take 15mg per kg of weight every 4-6 hours as needed for pain or fever not to exceed four doses in 24 hours. Adults should take 650-1000 mg every 4-6 hours as needed for pain or fever not to exceed 4000 mg in 24 hours. If you consume more than 3 drinks per day (2 for women) on average or more than 5-6 at a time once or more per week (4-5 for women) you should not take acetaminophen as this can lead to serious liver damage. I have found acetaminophen to be a terrific pain and fever medication and it is often underrated.

Ibuprofen and naproxen are two similar drugs that work by reducing pain and inflammation all over the body. Ibuprofen differs from naproxen in that it does not last as long. Children between 6 months of age and 13 years who weigh less than 40kg should take 10mg of ibuprofen per kilogram of weight every 6 hours as needed for pain or fever. Adults and children over 40kg should take 400mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours as needed for pain or fever. Naproxen should not be used by children under 13 years of age. Adults should take 220mg every 12 hours as needed for pain and fever. The first dose may be 440mg. Both naproxen and ibuprofen can be very irritating to the lining of the stomach and should be taken with food, a light snack, or milk.

Aspirin is effective in reducing pain and fever in adults. The adult dose is 325mg every 6 hours as needed for pain or fever. It should NEVER be used in children unless under close supervision by a qualified physician because of the risk of Rye's syndrome. Aspirin can also be very irritating to the lining of the stomach and interferes with the ability of the blood to clot. Because of this, I do not recommend aspirin for fever or pain and instead recommend acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen.

A word on fever. Fever is a beneficial defensive response of the body to infection. Parents tend to treat their childrens' fevers regardless of whether the child is complaining. Fever should only be treated when it causes discomfort.

b) Decongestants. Decongestants work by reducing the blood flow to the inflamed mucus membranes in the nose. Some decongestants are systemic, meaning that they are taken by mouth. These include pseudoephedrine (soo-dough-ef-ED-rin) and phenylephrine (fen-il-EFF-rin). Children aged 1-13 and under 50kg should take 1mg of pseudoephedrine per kg of weight every 6 hours as needed for congestion. Adults should take 30-60mg every 6 hours as needed for congestion. Adults may also take phenylephrine 10mg every 4-6 hours as needed for congestion. Do not use either of these agents for more than 3 days as dependence may result. Both of these agents may cause mild confusion or clouding of the sensorium, so use care when driving, operating heavy equipment, or performing other sensitive tasks (spinning fire, practicing medicine, etc. wink ). These drugs also may cause insomnia.

Two decongestants are commonly used topically as nasal sprays. Phenylephrine is less popular than oxymetazoline (ox-ee-met-AZ-o-leen) because oxymetazoline lasts 12 hours. These may be used in children over 1 year of age as directed on the package (usually 1-3 sprays per nostril). These usually are safe with few side-effects other than a bad taste in the back of the throat shortly after use. They should not be used for more than 3 days as dependence may result.

c)Antihistamines. The two most common first-generation antihistamines are diphenhydramine (di-fen-HIDE-ra-meen), marketed as BENADRYL, and chlorpheniramine (clor-fen-EER-uh-meen). Children over 2 may take 12.5mg of diphenhydramine every 6 hours as needed for itching, sneezing, or runny nose due to allergies. Adults may take 25mg every 6 hours as needed for itching, sneezing, or runny nose due to allergies. Diphenhydramine is also marketed as a sleep aid (NYTOL) so use extreme caution when driving, operating heavy machinery, or performing other sensitive tasks. Chlorpheniramine is usually included in combination medications and is not usually taken alone.

Second-generation antihistamines include loratadine (ALAVERT, CLARITIN), desloratidine (CLARINEX), cetirizine (ZYRTEC, ZIRTEC), and fexofenadine (ALLEGRA). All of these are long-acting (24h) antihistamines that do not enter the brain and so do not cause drowsiness. They are good for reducing the symptoms of allergies, but are not very good for the treatment of itching or sneezing. In the U.S.A. loratadine is available over-the-counter. Adult dose is 10mg once daily. Pediatric dosing is 5mg daily for children 2-5 and 10mg daily for children 6 and older. Overdose has been linked to fatal cardiac arrhythmias.

d Cough suppressants. Two main cough suppressants are available.

Dextromethorphan (DXM, DM, ROBITUSSIN DM) is a relative of morphine. It is available over the counter because it does not have euphoric effects when used as indicated. The pediatric dose is 0.3mg/kg/dose every 6-8 hours as needed for cough. Adults may take 10-20mg/dose every 4-6 hours as needed for cough. Dextromethorphan works by decreasing the cough reflex by acting on the brain. It causes drowsiness, so use caution with driving, operating heavy machinery, or performing sensitive tasks.

Guaifenesin (gwai-FEN-eh-sin) works by decreasing the sensitivity of receptors in the lungs and nose that cause cough. It also thins mucus secretions. Adult dosing is 200-400mg every 4-6 hours as needed for cough. An extended-release formulation (MUCINEX) is available that delivers 600mg over 12 hours. Pediatric dosing is approximately 5mg/kg every 4-6 hours as needed for cough. Guaifenesin is available as a syrup but has an unpleasant taste. Guaifenesin is usually well-tolerated and is not sedating. It is safe and only dramatic overdoses typically cause side-effects of severe GI upset.

As always, if you are taking any prescription medications, if you are pregnant, or if you have any medical conditions, please ask your healthcare provider before taking any over-the-counter medications.

3) Other things that can help are vapor-rubs, warm fluids such as herbal tea, and warm humidity. I also recommend a brand of cough drop known as FISHERMAN'S FRIEND, which is very good for cough, although some find the taste objectionable. 2-5ml of corn syrup by mouth every few hours can be helpful for cough. A 30-secomd gargle and spit of one teaspoon of a 1:1 mixture of liquid diphenhydramine syrup mixed with milk of magnesia can soothe a sore throat.

4) See your doctor if your fever comes back less than one hour after taking acetaminophen/ibuprofen/naproxen, if you have fever over 104F (39.5C), or if your symptoms do not improve after 7 days. All children under 2 months of age with fever must be evaluated in an emergency department.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

LibraGOLD Member
47 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

A word on fever. Fever is a beneficial defensive response of the body to infection. Parents tend to treat their childrens' fevers regardless of whether the child is complaining. Fever should only be treated when it causes discomfort.

There is an endless discussion about weather fever is a part of the bodys defencesystem. It makes sence to me since it accelerates tissue metabolism , mobilizes defenses and inhibit some patogens and so on..., but.. Some Bacterias and bacterial toxins act as pyrogens themself (pyrogens=circulating proteins that can reset the body's thermostat and rice the temprature). Why? Would you enter a new "home" and turn the temprature up so much that it would kill you? Could it be that mabe some of these bacterias like a higher temprature? Or are they small kinds of suicedebombers on a mission to simply just kill? ..and isn't also a bit weird that the bodytemperature can rice so much that it will destroy enzyms in your body and in that way kill you..? I would call that a bad defencetactic! I don't know.. I'm just asking questions that I've been asked..

and one more thing.. It's important to know that fever is a great symptom to use when finding out how serious the infection is.. i would therefor not recomend anyone to take drugs to hide this symptom until you've seen or spoken to a doctor..

If someone appriciates a more "natural" way ( than those given by doc lightning rolleyes) to kill a cold I'd reccomend fresh gingerroot.. No it's not something just your grandma would use.. astronauts has been given it for travelsickness and it has great effects against infections..

Anyway.. hope you all feel better soon so you can enter 2006 having fun and feeling healthy wink

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Cough syrup is the devil. I hate that stuff with a passion.... The taste that doesn't leave your throat for fifteen minutes... Uuuuugghhh.... Thankfully I'm feeling much better now... Last time I took it, my brother was shaking me by the shoulders to get the stuff down faster, and then made me chase it with egg nog. For future reference, that is a bad idea.

*shudders*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
NyQuil smelt ok, then they gave it cherry flavor. yuck! Original Green Death flavor.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I've found ammonia and senega to be an effective cough reliever. Tastes like poo on burnt toast, but it's rather good. Cheap, too, which is great for students.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I found going to the doctor and getting diagnosed with asthma worked for me! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Men suffer from colds more everybdoy knows that, couse we have big snot producing brains that invent ideas like suspension bridges and the jet engine biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

Men suffer from colds more everybdoy knows that

But we get less headaches. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
and when we do get one we switch to our second brain located down below

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
I think it's the men complaining that give us the headaches... ubblol

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
ubblol

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ditto ubblol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

besides it seems as if you're feeling fine again... goodonya
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1136030568)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've been up all night emptying my tummy into the washing up bowl and now theres nothing left inside and its still trying to make me sick!
Somebody make me better frown

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: fireNice

use the lotion biggrin

"It rubs the lotion on its skin"? umm

wink tongue

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Page: