Forums > Help! > PC Help Needed (uber geekyness of an advantage)

Login/Join to Participate

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Sup Y'all.
My PC is Being an absolute censoredtard at the moment.
Basic problem is that it keeps closing programs on me and often without even getting the error report window. Sometimes it also shuts down my whole computer. 'VIRUS' I hear you scream. Which is what I thought first, or perhaps spyware.
I ran Zone Alarm to scan for both but none came up. I also ran Microsoft Anti Spyware and another Anti Virus to see if it had slipped under the radar but again nothing. Also tried out Hijack This and removed a couple of underlying spyware programs.
This didn't seem to fix the problem though so I thought censored it. I'll reformat the HD. Did that, reinstalled windows and ZA and the other vital bits and bobs but even that didn't fix it.
So now i'm at a loss as to why my computer insists on not running properly.
Any ideas?

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
My guess is your RAM: If you have 2 sticks of RAM installed try removing 1 of them and testing. Remember to earth yourself and remove the power from the computer before you touch it.

Let me know if you need more help with removing it. Are you able to give us any more info?

hug

Good luck!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

893 posts

Posted:
I have just recently put another 512 in to top me up to 1gig. I'll give it a go when I get home. If removing it solves the problem then does that mean i have dodgy RAM?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm having the same sort of problems too but mine seem to be related to Flash 8 , at least when the error window tells me it is. Shockwave is also causing me lots of grief too, but I'm only having problems when I'm online.

It was a lot worse a year ago, when everything was crashing all the time, luckily the computer was still under warranty and my geeks fixed it by replacing the power supply. too bad we didn't figure out what it was BEFORE I'd done the lobotomize and reinstall windows thing.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
It could well mean that. Changing the power supply might work as well, like stout said, but I think it'll be the RAM seeing you've just added some...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
If it turns out not to be RAM related, try downloading a trial version of panada antivirus, blooming good stuff i say

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Will - will that help if the drive has been reformated?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
a) Start > run > mrt.exe, check out virii
b)Start > run > devmgmt.msc , check out hardware
c) Start > run > eventvwr.msc, try found out SW errors
d) You are connected to internet right.....

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
it might be that the virus is in the MBR (master boot sector of the disk) and so means that formatting the drive will not remove the offernder, unless yo tell itto format mbr

still nm

could be your drive, could be your machines cpu, check to make sure you fan is not wobbling at all, might be that you r carbon firber brushes in yourfan have worn out, on the heat sink on your cpu

this means when the fan is going at full speed, then the fan starts to tilt, not go as fast, and then your machines brain is not being cooled properly, and so can heat up and crash out

duncs machine had this a little while ago, sym tried to fix it, but i knew what the problem was, was about 10notes to fix, and it was all sorted biggrin

you could try seting thecore temp monitors in the bios, see if these are enabled, and see what heppens when these temps are hit? that might be whats causing your system crash.....to hot = shut down

also

try running yoru machine on just the basic components needed, like no cd-rom drive, no modem, no network card, just what you need, connected, so unplug or take out what ever you dont need

just enough to get your machine runing, and see if the problem carrys on, if it does not, then add one componet back in at a time and see, might be a circui chip on something has blown, and while you cant see it, might be causeing a memory error,

also make sure the ram you have added is the same rated level

ie 100 or 133 and so on, as if this number is not correct, it could be causing a crash as it tries to span the memory, there is a general memory crash

windows has gotten better at grouping meorory together, that why there is fewer blue screens of death in xp, as it can handle memory crashes better, using memory clusters

you could try something like symatic (norton) oc health check as part of the system works, this might show up some kind of memory or progamme fault.....

just a couple of ideas, with a techie inforint of it, it would only take about 10 mins to solve, but its just geting hold of a good techie to see the machine.....

Step (el-nombrie)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

duncs machine had this a little while ago, sym tried to fix it, but i knew what the problem was, was about 10notes to fix, and it was all sorted

nana

hug

893 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the help. Problem is that the crashes are really intermittant. Some days the comp runs perfect, other days it crashed every program. Makes it hard to try and test because just when I think it's all good it goes wrong again.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I've just fixed a computer like that - it turned out to be the motherboard in the end, I'm not sure why, but it helped. However I would carry on testing the RAM before buying new stuff.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Hit the bugger!

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

Written by: mech

duncs machine had this a little while ago, sym tried to fix it, but i knew what the problem was, was about 10notes to fix, and it was all sorted

nana

hug

just cos you where out geeked wink

Step (el-nombrie)

893 posts

Posted:
Grrr. Was just unplugging wires to check out the ram when I managed to induce a lovely blue spark from inside my psu. Oh joy of joys. Now I can't use the bleedin comp cuz the psu is fried. Luckily I still have net access on this comp or I'd die of boredom. Still no gaming tonight and for most of tommorrow till I can get a new unit. Hmm where's that PS2 got too. biggrin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Seriously, hit the damn thing! If anything, it'll make you feel better. wink

And pffft... PS2... that's so passé... s'all about the 360 now innit? *still hasn't got one frown *

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Did you not un-plug the computer before you took the RAM out?!

893 posts

Posted:
I hadn't even gotten to opening the case at that point. I was taking the power lead out the back of the psu and it went poof. HAve a new one now though and have removed the RAM. Time will tell I guess.