Forums > Social Chat > New Poll - How many vehicle accidents have you been involved in?

Login/Join to Participate

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
dude. you don't even know. i have been in cars that were either severely damaged or totaled
9 TIMES. it has been several years since i've been in any kind of accident, and i have been doing serious healing on myself just to be able to use my body. i know, you're thinkin, gee what a crazy driver he must be! but i wasn't even driving half the time. at a point, i had to ask if it was like a curse. perhaps it was. but i found that as i tried slowing down my mind and trying to be as aware as possible, like hyper-aware, i could have enough reaction time to avoid them, and sometimes even sense them before they came. people try to kill me a lot, running red lights in my path and such. just be a ninja, dude!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh and 9 times is just the bad ones, mind you, that doesn't include the numerous fender bender type minor accidents.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Aww, Malcolm, you made a special poll just for ME? I'm flattered!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Well I have onyl officialy been in one serious accident well semi serious...

My sis and I were driving and she wanted to show me some writing at the bottom of a fly over. She pointed and for some reason the tyres didnt grip the road for a split second and we entered into a very FAST skid which to me seemed extra fast at my young age...
We hit a yield pole shortly afterwards and all was fine no one was hurt but my sis was a wreck when we got home my dad had to put her in a warm bath. The impact was on her door but somehow she managed not to break the window (which never rolled down fully again) and to keep the lock looking like it was locked although it never locked again...

I've been in a couple of oops moments but besides this mentioned accident it has been all for me...
*pixie goes and finds wood*

BUT I did see a horrible accident the last night I was in my beautiful place of being raised (puerto rico) which involved seven cars and lots of stuff I dont want to mention because the memory of the crash is too scary to retrieve... I've seen some fucked up shit in PR we have some bad accidents and I must agree with Malcolm and restate his point:

We are actually all very fragile creatures so please be careful out there

Too true malcolm! You once again hit the nail on the head...

Look out hun I WILL be meeting you at some point.
you just wwwwhait 'enry 'iggins...

Much love n hugs,
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
MikeGinny - I reckon Malcolm is gonna send you a bright coloured t-shirt that says "can't you see I'm WALKIN' HERE!!"

I was passenger once, got t-boned by a 4x4 once and had some guy back into me whilst parked once. None were high speed, but the smallest damage can start to add up money-wise.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, leaving aside stuff like backing into stuff, and little car kisses that didn't damage either vehicle, I've been in 4.

Two happened this week. You heard about those.

The most recent was in California. I rear-ended someone and crunched their trunk in when they stopped all of a sudden in front of me on the freeway (I was looking at the speedometer when the brakelights went on). Yup. My fault.

The last one was when I was 10. My mother was driving slowly in a parking lot and then the front passenger wheel suddenly just...came off the car...for no apparent reason! It was the most bizarre thing, because we had just driven across the city and it was only when we were creeping along at maybe 10 kph, all of a sudden "thump" and the car settled and we saw the wheel go rolling off. Damnedest thing.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I have never had an accident in 7 years of driving.

The worst crash I've been in was when my dad's car was rear-ended by a van. Slight damage to the rear bumper.

I have friends who have rolled cars, caused pile-ups, and I don't let them drive me, ever. It's just not worth it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but in my opinion 99% of accidents are caused by people driving too fast or too close, and carelessly. I can think of several times I've avoided accidents by leaving a big gap behind the car in front of me.

Magnus... pay it forward

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I'm not a magnet, but I am attracted to rears. Read on and find out what I mean.

With my 1st car, an '87 Sunbird:
1. Rear ended a friend of mine in a matching car when I slid on fresh rain pavement. (no damage)
2. Ice on windshield helped me hit another car in a parking lot. (ruined the front fender of both cars.)
3. Full size pick-up truck hit me when he was pulling away from the curb. (ruined the whole side of my car.)
4. Eating a burger and didn't look up and rear ended someone at a red light. I was traveling very slow, maybe 5mph so no damage.

With my 2nd car, a '93 Cavelier (just like a Sunbird)
5. Got rear ended by a BMW when some idiot lady stopped in front of me. This one hurt as this was on a major high-way.

With my 3rd car, a '99 S10 pickup.
6. Rear ended a lady at a stop sign when I wasn't paying attention (Pele still picks on me about this one.) She should've gone by then. She was stupid.

With my dad's car in highschool
7. Rear ended a guy in the toll booth. I still think he shouldn't have taken that long. (another slow one so no damage.)

Edit to make the numbers count the total number of accidents.

[ 22. November 2002, 07:16: Message edited by: Pele'sWhippingBoy ]

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
PWB I admire the way you manage to blame other people for you hitting them

When I was about 7 I was in the car with my dad when the car skidded on some ice and hit a sign post I thought it was very funny. A few months later a car rear ended us as we came off the motorway.

I had an accident on my way home from Sheffield Poi in the Park. I'd travelled all the way back down the motorway without incident and then I got a mile from my home and I turned in front of a car going straight on at lights, which I did not see coming. He was, apparently, madly flashing his lights at me to warn me and still I did not see him coming. I do sometimes wonder why he didn't brake, but it was entirely my fault. I trashed the front end of my car completely and wrecked the side of his car. I had my friend Laura, who was pregnant, in the car, we'd stopped at shops just before and I'd told her to put her seatbelt on as we left. Luckily no one was hurt.

Then a few weeks ago at Sheffield Poi in the Park I reversed into Jo Derry's (mum's) car trashing the numberplate. He was really nice about it. Thanks Jo

A couple of days after I reversed into a lamp post at my daughter's school. Because I was stiff from the gym I didn't turn round to look where I was going and said lamp post was in my blind spot.

I am now paying more attention to my obsevation skills.

* EDIT

When I was 11 I saw my best friend hit and killed by a speeding car driven by a man so drunk he couldn't stand up. Even though I was not directly involved in the accident it had a profound effect on my development.

[ 22. November 2002, 06:17: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Thistle:
PWB I admire the way you manage to blame other people for you hitting them
Yeah, how American of me huh?

The one I hate the most is the one where I got rear-ended by the BMW. The weird thing is that I'm not mad at the guy in the BMW. I'm mad at the lady that stopped in front of me. We were in the fast lane (of a 3 lane highway) and there were no shoulders on the road. She hit a metal tumbleweed or something and came to a stop right as the speed increased from a 40 to a 55. I managed to stop in time but she should never have done this. She should have moved to a safe location, like the side of the road.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele'sWhippingBoy:
[QBYeah, how American of me huh?

[/QB]
Actually I was thinking along the lines of, How human of you

Are we nearly there yet?

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
I've had 10 car wrecks, been hit by a car on my skateboard once, on my bike 4 times and had too many off road motorcycle crashes to even think about.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Do I get to count the ones with PWB, when he was driving?
He actually has done the rearend thing when he thought the person should have gone twice. I am getting used to yelling stop at him with a sturdy grip on the oh shit bar just in case!
Ask him about our near death experiences with huge freakin' semi's sometime! And yet, I still let him drive. My friend Sandy and Prometheus though, I drive when with them!!!!
(Prometheus just banged up his car the other day, in fact, but he has more ticket stories than anyone I know!)

Both PWB and Prometheus have blamed me as being a destraction when in the car (I like to talk! *shrug*), so they are more prone to get in benders. Umm yeah, and it has nothing to do with their driving skills!

As for me and accidents, *knocks on wood*, nothing really big. There was a slight altercation with a small tree in my blind spot and my backseat passenger telling me it was all clear to pull back. I still wonder if he did not see the tree or thought we would just pass through it? The dent is a small reminder that I just haven't gotten around to fixing.

[ 23. November 2002, 16:34: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to run MikeGinny down for a week now but it just aint working

Meh

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I have never hit nor been hit by anything, live or inanimate. Years of training on super mario kart have elevated my skills at avoiding objects to zen-like levels. I carry a hefty supply of red turtle shells just in case.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I always do really well except when some bastard creams me with a red turtle shell!!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
one crash, that being in a bus. Grade seven, on the way to swimming lessons, All seems rather surreal now......

FireMike, if you read this, can you check your pms?

Currently on the right side up of the world.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
you sneaky Flyntie thingie! yeah, i'm here now, you guessed my next destination. check yours.

Malcolm,

very sorry to hear ya got rattled up on wheels again.

posted in the poll, i think i've been in about 6, can remember about 4 offhand.

how ya doin in the aftermath?

with all my love,

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
I've been in 3 one bus crash, one write off, and one pounding!!!
but never hurt thank God, and in all these i was a passenger! its allkind of surreal (that is so spelt wrong but hey) especially when you see itr about to happen, as i did in all my crashes it full freaky, yeah, but if you count push bikes as vehicals i ve had a million but all attempting bmx tricks, stupid 360 can cans!!!!

It's all good

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Can cans? Sounds like BMX has changed since my day.

But then that was in the early 80s so i spose it's not that surprising.

Meh

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Upped my score by one today! I have written off my car this morning, on christmas eve . My fault again. I pulled out in front of a car and it hit my front end spinning my car 360 degrees. The sun was in my eyes and I couldn't see very well, but I swear I was looking and I could see No traffic coming . It was one heck of a shock when it hit me.

The good news is I am fine and no one else was hurt in the accident. The bad news is I need my car for work, also I still owe money on it.

Please Father Christmas, bring me a new car tonight.

Are we nearly there yet?