Page:
kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi, I´m new to this and i´m just wondering when u are using your poi and accedently hit yourself when you have them on fire, does it hurt mutch and do you burn your self right away? redface

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

I've never burnt myself with poi. EVER.

Getting burned is NOT part of fire spinning.

Just like smashing your head open on rocks is NOT part of cliff diving.

I'm sorry but in my view it has to be part of it otherwise people would try learning new moves with fire. -Avoiding- getting burned or singed has to be part of fire spinning in the same wat that avoiding cracking your head open on rocks has to be part of cliff diving therefore burns are part of fire spinning (xander logic, its messed up at best). And because most of the people I normally spin when in Glasgow with do a heck of a lot of wraps getting small burns from the metal parts of the poi is normal. Ergo my comment about every spinner I know, as I only really know a few well.

Part of the learning curve is learning where your comfort zones are, I still don't do buzzsaw weaves with fire bacause I'm not comfortable with them but when you first spin with fire you don't really know exactly what to expect and therefore you have no true comfort zone with that aspect of spinning. Or at least thats my view on it.

Perhaps I should have explained myself better and not let my whingy American ex get to me. bad mood + posting = disaster. Sorry *eats humble pie*

If you ever say anything so stupid again, I'm going to come back up to st Andrews and EDUCATE YOU. With much smackdown.

Or force you to learn plate spinning, whichever is worse.

That would be fun wink ubbangel

Oh, and there's a photo of me spinning a plate on one heavily PVD'd dreadlock somewhere (admittedly I didn't start spinning the plate).

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: onefinalstep

I'm sorry but in my view it has to be part of it otherwise people would try learning new moves with fire. -Avoiding- getting burned or singed has to be part of fire spinning in the same wat that avoiding cracking your head open on rocks has to be part of cliff diving therefore burns are part of fire spinning (xander logic, its messed up at best). And because most of the people I normally spin when in Glasgow with do a heck of a lot of wraps getting small burns from the metal parts of the poi is normal. Ergo my comment about every spinner I know, as I only really know a few well.

Firstly, this makes no sense, so I'm not even going to try.

Secondly, which spinners in Glasgow? Certainly none of the ones I've come across do wraps with fire poi or burn themselves routinely. And, through various things, I've come across most of the serious poi spinners in Glasgow. A lot of which don't even spin fire.

Unless you're talking about the one guy who came up to us in the park who was also boasting about the fact he breathes fire (using alchohol as a fuel I have to add) as well as poi spinning. I can imagine he would burn himself on a regular basis.

Seriously, is there some hidden poi spinning community here that none of us know about?

Because I remeber Gav486 who is the most advanced spinner in Glasgow that I know of, clearly stating that he would never do wraps with fire poi because its stupid (too dangerous), and he advises everyone the same.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I'm from Kirkintilloch. There's a very small community there (about half a dozen or so). The main spinner, a guy called Ronald (satansunclebob if i remember correctly), does wraps constantly and constantly gets burned. I personally do a lot of wraps, mostly leg wraps and the occasional arm wrap, but always wear a longsleved shirt if I am.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: OneFinalStep

does wraps constantly and constantly gets burned.

Tre bizare? I happily elbow, arm, and even (rarely) leg and head wrap with fire without fear of burning myself and have never done so or seen anyone burn themselves. Now arm or leg bounces with fire and no sleaves would be painful...

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
There's nothing wrong with doing wraps or even catches with fire poi as long as you use the right wicks and the right fuel.

You get nothing more severe than some slightly singed hair if you do it right. The only mark it should leave is soot.

You just have to be careful. Contact with hot metal or prelonged contact with the wick will burn you. Quick touches or grabs of the wick wont.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Agreed. If your toys are of suitable quality the chain shouldn't heat up to be noticable in the seconds it takes to wrap and there would be not exposed metal on the poi head that you reach you smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I wrap all the time with metal chains. Difference - I wear kevlar sleeves and gloves. See my old video.

Written by:

If your toys are of suitable quality the chain shouldn't heat up to be noticable in the seconds it takes to wrap

umm hot metal sears instantly upon contact with skin and hair. Metals are good conductors of heat. From the moment the poi head is lit, the chain near it will heat up to a couple hundred degrees until it starts cooling after the burn ends.

However, newbs don't often know this, among other things. And a suprisingly high amount of people apparently have low common sense.

That's why some people fashioned kevlar rope to use instead of metal chains, only problem, these only last 50ish burns from what I've seen.

Fire takes a split seconds to burn. Hot metal leaves scars.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
When I used to use home made wicks, the wires I used to wrap the towels in got crazy hot, so the first time I tried to wrap, I got some nasty metal burns. Sure I'm proud of my scars, but they were unintentional. After that I got kevlar sleeves and kevlar wicks.

It was the hot metal wire that burnt me bad.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
hmmmm.... my chain has never been a problem. On my poi they are not directly connected to the wick but go via two quicklinks and a thick swivel. Obviously I never touch the metal on the poi head, but the chain? I've held it right next to the swivel to do mini pendulums with no instant searing of my flesh for the full minutes at a time I held it for... confused

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
How can you hold the swivel right above the wick with the flame anyway? Must be a low degree burning fuel with a small flame.

What fuel are you using? umm

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seye

There's nothing wrong with doing wraps or even catches with fire poi as long as you use the right wicks and the right fuel.

You get nothing more severe than some slightly singed hair if you do it right.

But thats the problem with doing wraps, the time when they dont work and you end up tying yourself up. There is no-one who can do a wrap perfectly 100% of the time, and it just takes one time for you to tie yourself and end up with a serious burn. And you never know how you or your saftey will react until you've been in that situation.

If you can do wraps reliably and use the right fuel and poi, then sure, you'll not burn yourself some of the time, however you will burn yourself. (the exception is if you do wear proper protective clothing, that won't catch fire/cause steam burns because they have to be used damp/can withstand long exposure to flames etc)

Personally I don't like being burnt. Apart from the fact burns are ugly and painful, if not treated right they can lead to infection and blood poisoning. I feel no need to prove how good/cool/whatever I am by doing moves that will put me at risk of injury, just like I have no need to learn to fire breathe (your putting yourself at high risk of injury doing both Fire Breathing and not doing fire poi sensibly). To me being singed is a burn very narrowly avoided, and I would not want to chance doing this on a regular basis.

Fine-if you enjoy burning yourself then do it, don't worry about the fact you bring the name of fire-spinning down with you every time someone sees you get a serious burn, and everytime you have to go to A&E with one.

But please, do not advise newbies, who potentially could be minors, who could have no other knowledge of fire spinning to do the same.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
parrafin.

But i'm not holding the wick still, therefore allowing the flames to go straight up onto my hands.

Now I think about it, I sometimes wrap the chain round my hands until the overal length of my chains to the heads is shortened to only about 10 - 15cm. Particularly if I'm doing buzzsaws or isolations etc. I sometimes hold that length through entire series of burns with no instant flesh burning ...

but then all my poi are made using industrial components which probably have a much lower heat diffusion than cheap gardening store chain.

confused

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
nah, usually it's just that couple inches of metal right above the wick that sears upon wraps. 2 of my fire poi are from HoP and the stainless steel definately conducts heat from my fuel - lamp oil/coleman's mixture.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
OoooOOOOooo, I almost got blood poisoning from a bug bite!

Anyway: Our swivels and quicklinks are HUGE. Cos they're hardcore. There's maybe a 3/4 inch gap between the kevlar and the chain because of all the metal in there. Definately 3" if you hold the quickling that the chain attaches too.

Plus, he never said anything about holding them still, while spinning them, the flame gets pulled off and doesn't burn your hands as it normally would do if you hold them still. Simple really.

I doubt the thickness of the metal will have much of an effect on thermal conductivity. It'll have some, but not much.

wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
harhar, you're trying to tell the guy who pulled off traces around his neck with his fire poi? ubbloco My neck still has scars.

Harharhar, don't try and argue wraps/traces with a glowstringer wink

My next set will be all kevlar. XD

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

harhar, you're trying to tell the guy who pulled off traces around his neck with his fire poi? ubbloco My neck still has scars.

see you're [censored].

I could do it without burning myself, cos i am cooler than you. Not better, or more skilled, but COOLER.

tongue

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
oh yeah? I'm so cool you could put out a flaming poi wick out on my neck.

wink true story.

I supposed that I pulled it off many times before i didn't need to take the precaution of a turtle neck that one time.

safety first.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

But thats the problem with doing wraps, the time when they dont work and you end up tying yourself up. There is no-one who can do a wrap perfectly 100% of the time,

The same is true of all fire spinning. This is not a serious reason not to do wraps. smile

And you never know how you or your saftey will react until you've been in that situation.

If your safety doesn't know how to react then they are called a "spectator" smile

If you can do wraps reliably and use the right fuel and poi, then sure, you'll not burn yourself some of the time, however you will burn yourself. (the exception is if you do wear proper protective clothing, that won't catch fire/cause steam burns because they have to be used damp/can withstand long exposure to flames etc)

Firstly people should wear the right clothing anyway, wraps or not. Secondly, I do wraps. I've never been burned doing wraps. MCP does wraps. Shes never been burned doing wraps. Two examples that wraps does not = getting burned. Enough of this "do wraps and you will burn"! confused

But please, do not advise newbies, who potentially could be minors, who could have no other knowledge of fire spinning to do the same.

so by writing anyting on this site we are all guilty of, unintentionally, encouraging minors to fire spin?

eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Zauberdachs

MCP does wraps. Shes never been burned doing wraps.

But I do wraps differently to everybody else. I do horizontal wraps mostly, not vertical ones. They're mostly on my waist and legs, so I'm basically always wearing clothing there.

ps: I thought spectators were safeties? When i set myself on fire, I'm just going to shout "pile on!" and hope for the best. wink (newbies: the wink means this is not truth and is all sarcasm)

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:

But I do wraps differently to everybody else.

What? In a wig?

ps: I thought spectators were safeties? When i set myself on fire, I'm just going to shout "pile on!" and hope for the best.

Safeties are for pussies anyway! wink (newbies: the wink means this is not truth and is all sarcasm)

Yey, good work MCP finally a disclaimer that lets me mock myself and other spinners without injuring innocent newbies!!!! ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
also, the wink means that I know more than you, and am more worthy of being showered with money, respect and your adoration. wink

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
look, I'm no longer a "newbie" I'm a member "now" almost at 50 posts and the sword wofting will return! smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
shutup. wink

Hey hey hey.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
So the final decision is that both wraps and burns are cool wink

...and that the wink means dont take this seriously as well as; I know more than you, and am more worthy of being showered with money, respect and your adoration wink

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
wink wink wink wink wink

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Wraps are cool if done correctly, burns aren't no matter how you get them.

Unless you go extreme fire ironing wink

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I remember my days on the XFIC, yeah that's the extreme Fire Ironing Circuit for everyone not familiar with that. Good times. wink wink

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
hey! i though this was a really good thread until mcp's post "Sun Dec 11 2005 10:19 AM"

somewhere there it got kind of non-serious.....
i think you actually can have a discussion about "Not getting burnt"/"accepting to get burnt" with no right or wrong

disclaimer: i don't think that should all think the same and i especially don't want anyone to take after me.

i dont mind gettting burned. of course this is only the truth when it comes to first degree and minor second degree burns. but at that level it is NOT comparable to cracking your head while climbing. it's quite okay and remembers me how fragile i am. it keeps me happy thinking "it wasn't that bad.. phew!" it gives a little adrenaline and thats nice.. ^_^

because of this, i'm not really concerned about all the saftey aspects. i make sure to always spin together with at least one person i trust. i talk through what could accidents could happen with at least one person if noone around is an experienced spinner. i -always- have a bucket of water with me. i try to always have a fire blanket and/or wet towles. i never spin without a cap. i spin most the time with long sleeves.

i belive this is enough and spin i quite bold. i've got burnt a couple of time and don't mind. (because this far i've never hurt myself bad at all) i do NOT recommend anybody else to do like me and think "whatever.."

another aspect in a similar discussion is this about fire breathing. i have read loads about it and talked to a bunch of people who brethe. i know what [censored] could happen and i've brethed a couple of times myself. i do NOT recommend anybody else to do it though.

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
yep, this is why the thread got not serious. Otherwise it'd just be a whole bunch of people stating their personal ideas on fire safety.

There is a HOP document of fire safety is there not? Why do we have to repeat what it contains?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
NOTE:
check clothes for holes before wrapping on them. I just managed to singe my armpit, being unaware of a gaping hole there in my top...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Page: