Forums > Social Discussion > Drink Spiking and being aware!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I had a rather crap night the other night at work, it became apparent to me that a girl was not just drunk, I had served her a drink about half an hour before and she was fine, then she came back to me and was, well, pretty much not aware of where she was, her pupils were really weird and she wasnt concentrating on anything. Behind her was a guy that came in on his own and I thought was looking a bit shady all night, after she was talking to me and asked me for another drink, i apologised and said that I couldnt serve her anymore because she seemed "More than drunk" I could see him looking over at me and giving me a really odd look, then he came over and tried to grab her and take her back to his seat, I told her to wait at the bar for 2 minutes I went over to the girls that came in with her and asked if they knew who he was and they said no he came in and bought her a drink and they started chatting, I pointed out her state that they seemed to have not noticed and they were shocked and said things like 20 minutes ago she was fine etc

I asked them if they could look after her because I believed she had been drugged they sat her down and I told the bouncers, as they started to approach the man he ran out the other entrance.

After getting her a drink of water I asked if she wanted us to test her drink and she agreed, the test proved positive for GHB & Ketamine which are both substances used in drink spiking. After calling police etc giving details and have made sure hes barred from all the pubs in the area. She came in later and thanked me for my response and she kept saying how unaware she was of him doing anything and 'how nice he seemed'.

I guess I'm writing this to highlight the issue of safe drinking, we all know that drinking comes with dangers but I dont think that spiking of drinks is highlighted enough. As I saw that night it is incredibly easy for people to spike others drinks. Please be aware!
Here are some statistics for you:
In England approx 12,000 people have their drinks spiked
Australia have 4,500
USA 24,000, remember all these are just the reported cases!

94% of victims are female

40% are sexually assaulted

65% have absolutely no recollection of the evening and often arent aware they have been sexually assaulted until they seek medical attention.

Between 10% and 20% of those that are sexually assaulted catch an STD from the incident.

Spiking of drinks is a serious thing and I hope by me saying all this you ladies and some of you guys will take as much care as possible when out drinking because it can all end with a lot worse than a hangover!

There are preventative measures that you can take, many bars now give these out free

Non-Https Image Link

They fit in alcopop bottles like Smirnoff Ice and WKD, they often dsicourage would be spikers due to the difficulty it would be to subtely drug the drink. There are also tests that you can buy which unfortuantely not many bars have but you can buy them yourself and bring them out with you, they are very small, about the size of a credit card and test for drugs like GHB and ketamine and also claim to test for benzodiazepines, however they arent always reliable because some drink substances like milk (if your having a milky cocktail) can affect the test.

Really the best thing you can do is to just be aware, if possible always be in clear site of your drink, and if someone offers to buy you a drink who you dont know be with them when they buy it and always kepe in site. If you want to go dance or go to the toilet be aware of who you are leaving your drink with, preferably leave it with friends.

Be vigilant and be safe, most bartenders take drink spiking very seriously and will offer you lots of help and advice so dont be afraid to ask, fi you believe you've been spiked tell your friends and tell the bartender and he/she will alert the bouncers and the police.

Drink safe

Will
hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Good post Will.

It's scary how many people get their drinks spiked every year, even Hollyoakes now has a drink spiking storyline which can, at times, be quite disturbing.

I have had my drink spiked a few times which is part of the reason i dont drink anymore and hate clubbing, i am so lucky i had good friends around me, a nice bartender, and big scary bouncers, who made sure nothing worse happened to me.

Take Will's advice seriously, everyone, its good advice.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
thanks for posting this Will, i just wanted to add that when my best friend lived in coventry her and her housemate had their drinks spiked in their own house by a supposed friend and one of them was raped.
be sensible with drinks wherever you are and just keep hold of it when you're around other people - whoever they are. might1 sound a bit like overkill but you can't be too careful. there has also been a recent spate of drink spiking in shrewsbury so be careful if you're out and about clubbing.
.Becs x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Glad someone posted this up. My freinds auntie also got her drink spiked, but luckily she was with people who realised something was wrong and took her home safely. They've only just started a drink spiking awarness scheme in glasgow, it's about time too. They now project the logos in lights onto the main street which is quite cool. I've heard horror stories of clubs refusing to put drink safe posters up too. It's so easy to leave sight of your drink, even just for a second, which is all it takes, especially as many clubs don't allow you to take drinks into the toilets with you. I can see why this is, but it then means you may have to leave your drink. Simple things like holding your thumb over the top of your bottle and agreeing with freinds to always be watching each others drinks, even when you're actually there, can prevent this from happening.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
There we have the first 3 people to post back on this have either been spiked or know someone who has, it's such a shame that some people are sick enough to do it

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

I had a rather crap night the other night at work, it became apparent to me that a girl was not just drunk, I had served her a drink about half an hour before and she was fine, then she came back to me and was, well, pretty much not aware of where she was, her pupils were really weird and she wasnt concentrating on anything. Behind her was a guy that came in on his own and I thought was looking a bit shady all night, after she was talking to me and asked me for another drink, i apologised and said that I couldnt serve her anymore because she seemed "More than drunk" I could see him looking over at me and giving me a really odd look, then he came over and tried to grab her and take her back to his seat, I told her to wait at the bar for 2 minutes I went over to the girls that came in with her and asked if they knew who he was and they said no he came in and bought her a drink and they started chatting, I pointed out her state that they seemed to have not noticed and they were shocked and said things like 20 minutes ago she was fine etc

I asked them if they could look after her because I believed she had been drugged they sat her down and I told the bouncers, as they started to approach the man he ran out the other entrance......

......After getting her a drink of water I asked if she wanted us to test her drink and she agreed, the test proved positive for GHB & Ketamine which are both substances used in drink spiking. After calling police etc giving details and have made sure hes barred from all the pubs in the area.

Very scary statisitics!

Well done, looks like you saved her from a real nightmare.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'll be a fourth, in knowing several people who've had it done, and having had it happen to myself, in a precisly looking away for one second situation....

Its much worse in america, i've been much more lax over here, seems maybe i shouldn't be... frown

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
My mother is always on my back about being aware of drink spinking and when I used to go out in my home town, I was always aware of it. But when I went to Romania it is practically unheard of so I forgot about being cautious and when reached Barcelona I was placed in a situation where it very nearly could have happened, but it didn't and I heard stories of it happening to a guy travelling in my hostel (he bought what is stereotypicall a girly drink) and got cautious about it again....But then I went back to Romania...

I'm still very lax about it when I go out because I'm used to it not being a problem, so thanks Will, this is another wake up to remind me that it DOES happen over here!

:hugs: for such a good post!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Good work Will, there are some real nasties out there hug2

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
As a worker in a bar irs good to have ppl like you Will on the case. One spotting the girls change of behaviour and then the assehole who did it then acting on it.
hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
This is why I don't drink in clubs...
Very good thread Will smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well done Will! clap You're a barman to be proud of hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
Will- Bloody well done!!!!! i got really rrunk in a pub a few years ago and drank someone elses drink (a girlie friend) coz it was infront of me it contained rohiponol, really not fun!!

Three cheers for Will!! smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol I bet that drink spiker thought it was his lucky night with you drinking it Brodie wink

Will, would you be able to identify him on the CCTV and maybe get his picture into the police and circulated around other pubs/nightclubs?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
If i owned a pub........... id give you a job biggrin

nice work dude - good to know people like you are out there

hug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
nice one will!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Ive never know anyone get their drink spiked in a "date rape" kind of situation but I have had to deal with someone who had her drink spiked with acid... i think it was just for the fun of seeing her tripping though

its scary how much this happenens and unfortunately its one of those "it'll never happen to me situations"

I should come into sharkys more often if all the staff are as good as you!

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Are there any links for statistics? Have been googling but wasn't exactly successful.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
I thought acid lost its affect in alchol, a new lesson learned for me!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oh yeah... great job! I thought i'd said that in my last ppost but i was in a hurry at the time... and i second taht, i would beg you to work at any pub i owned, and pay you a bit extra as well!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
this is very much a similar post to the women blamed for rape post as it is all connecting to same thing with the date rape thing and women claiming they did not know if they consented or not but ket and ghb are really strong and weird drugs used in the club scene aswell

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Written by: brodieman

I thought acid lost its affect in alchol, a new lesson learned for me!

Not 100% it was acid, we didnt get her tested, but she was having all the usual trippy stuff thats assocciated with acid and had a comedown very similar to an acid one so we just assumed

you might be right and it was something similar to acid

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I guess I'm lucky then, I know of no-one who has been spiked nor have I been spiked myself.

Mind you, Its been nearly two years since I've been to a bar and gotten drunk.

Plus I have no friends... (yes, cry for me!)

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ketamine (can) causes those things too, so that might have been it....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i got spiked fridaty night in a club by mistake....ok it was only with speed. basicly i picked up thew wrong bottle of water (mine was right next to it). i HATE speed it makes me feel awefull the next day. as a raver YES i have done ketamine and g.h.b. (not at the same time) but NEVER mixed with alcohol, however i have done ectasy mixed with alcohol and i'm told the effects can be simmiler to g.h.b. mixed with alcohol, which is a kind of amnesia.

i have been lucky.......i have always had friends around me when i'm wrecked (ok so they are too but we all look out for each other)

there is one guy we (me and my mater) see about norwich, he looks shifty and is always out alone. we have made everyone aware of him and to be carefull...........so far nothing

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Also another thing to warn people about is the fact that there have a been a few cases of barmen spiking peoples drinks. It rarely happens, and I definately don't want to give a bad name to all barmen, especially considereing that a lot of them actually look out for people, just like will, but it's something that you should be cautious about, never let your drink out of sight, even when it's being poured!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
How on earth do you manage to keep your drink in sight when its being poured at a bar? Unless its beer its usually not very visible....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
*bump*
The Party season is coming upon us so I thought it might be a good idea to bump this thread as a reminder to everyone to be careful.

https://www.roofie.com/
That site holds some good advice on how to avoid becoming a victim of drinks spiking. Remember non alcoholic drinks can be spike too. There are also reports of spiked cigarettes. Be careful and stay safe.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Another thing to be aware of is that alcohol has a lot more effect when people are taking anti-depressants.

The combination of alcohol and anti-depressants is extremely intoxicating.

Be careful, play safe.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kyrian

How on earth do you manage to keep your drink in sight when its being poured at a bar? Unless its beer its usually not very visible....

I work in a bar and pride myself on making sure that any drink i pour i make as visiable as possiable to customers.

we have a huge range of spirits and most need to be hand poured (ie are not in opticts) i always do this on the top of the bar, i always add mixers where people can see etc etc.

i know it's not much but it maybe gives people that bit more faith to knowing what goes in the drink.

I call it honesty. *shrugs*

i've been spiked, like rave with speed. i guess really it didn't bother me too much as i know what the effects and feeling is like and so it didn't panic me too much.

My housemate got spiked. GHB probably. (we don't know for sure, he never got tested) but his girlfriend was sipping out of his drinks. luckily she didn't drink the spiked one because she was fine, and they were with people who brought them home straight away.

Does anyone know where i can get one of those drink testing kits. i would like to get one for our pub - out of my own money if i need to.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
please also be aware that alcohol is toxic and can impare senses. some affects alcohol can make include mood swings, blurred vision and speech, more unco-ordinated than usual, make irrational decisions.

hope this helps.

play safe smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: