Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, I'm kind of walking on eggshells here. But that's actually the point ... of sorts. I'm also hoping I'm not going to start a conversation that steps over the line of good taste or HoP appropriateness.

I'm often surprised at how similar many of the poi communities are throughout Great Britain and the US (Sorry, the only two I know!). There are many overlying similarities. If you'll allow me the luxuries of some RASH generalizations with some obvious exceptions I'd be appreciative.

IN GENERAL, the similarities include:

An acceptance of counter culture (We don't all shop at the mall)

A liberal political stance (Bush is a 4 letter word)

Tolerance of race, gender, and sexual orientation and nationality (Except "America" is a bit of a bully wink )

Open tolerance for alcohol and um...

Ties to parties, certain types of music, and even heavy use of internet communities...

I could go on, but let's not get bogged down with that.

I have noticed one stark difference though. And I'm guessing it's cultural, which makes it perhaps more interesting.

Sex.

Wait, hear me out. I'm positive that there is plenty of quality nookie going on in the UK. I'm sure of it. It's just not as openly intertwined in this particular counterculture as it is here. I know it's lots to do with the underlying Burningman experience in which sex is very out in the open, and even more advertised and behind closed domes. I actually don't take part in that aspect of the community here but it's always a bit alarming when I'm in the UK and that entire theme is gone.

It's difficult for me to go into detail without stepping over the line, but, for example... You know how at EJC and PLAY there are all sorts of workshop lists for learning beginning hula hooping or advanced hyperloops... well at festivals here there are WORKSHOPS... where you can learn things or just practice. [Leaves that one to your imagination.] There is even strict security making sure that kids don't wander into the wrong areas. A few of my friends out here indirectly or directly work in or around the sex industry.

I never really thought of that as an American thing. But, I'm slowly learning that it might very well be. Again, I'm talking about the overtness and frankness. I was initially confused because I never really thought of mainstream Americans as being more liberal than mainstream Brits. So I didn't really understand how liberal Brits would be just as liberal in all areas except one.

I have actually run into some mini faux pas joking about it. It seems to be the "Elephant in the room" sometimes (that's the analogy where there's an elephant in the room but nobody wants to talk about it), whereas in the US the elephant will be advertised on the event flyer.

When my American posse rolls into a party or festival, I feel like we walk in the door and are given a Menu. Some do this, some go for that, some do this because they did that last time. I always order the same thing "Chill with my girlfriend, spin some fire, a medium hula hoop, no orgies, no cigarettes, no drugs, and a vodka tonic please" and that works great for me no matter what country I'm in. I'm just kind of surprised when I go to UK events that sex, even if it is going on, isn't on the Menu.

Am I right? Am I wrong? Or am I just not opening the Green Door?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
okay, maybe i did miss a bit shrug

i think mostly we are all agreeing here that the attitudes and approaches to sex are very different across the pond.

this is an example of my (and i think many british people's) attitude, liberal or not:

if i'm at a festival and i see someone hold up a bag of weed and shout "who wants a spliff?" i'd smile and think that person is being kind and sharing.

if the same person holds up a condom and shout "who wants to f*ck me?" i'd think something very different - firstly that thjey were joking and secondly that they are either desperate, lazy or both.

sharing a spliff rarely results in hurt feelings, conflicting social boundaries or std's.

open and free sex can and often does.

suffice to say, in my manor sharing a spliff is not on a similar social level to sharing in the act of filling body cavities.

and i would never pretend for one minute that i consider it as such.

if that makes us 'dishonest', i'd like to know how exactly...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by fluffy napalm fairy

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

3,638 posts

Posted:
NYC - to me this sentance doesn't make sense and I think it is an important one: (clarity please?)

Written by: NYC

2) I completely disagree that liberal Brits have more discression about drugs or sexual orientation other 'liberal' topics.

Now. In your festival scenario. I do not think anyone would ever stand up and say 'free pot etc etc' in the way you have described. I think/know that they would be more discreet.
That is why I said I think it applies to sex, drugs and life equally.

I also think you are less likely to get Brits talking about who in their family has had cancer, or how they were bullied as a kid, or about their lengthy and extensive travels, or about their income..... I could go on.

I think (personally) that you might be picking and choosing the areas of discretion that you are paying attention to.

Alternatively, you have been very exposed (in your UK trips) to the pot culture. If you had stayed with a different group of friends you might have been very exposed to the sex culture. The chairman of our circus society is also the founder of the fetish club here in Brum biggrin So it entirely depends on your particular interactions.

(nb: I don't think my previous post implied I thought it was you....... Cos I don't)

This really is a cultural thing.
You have a choice. You can a) yell about stuff, or b) not. Why should you immediately see the first option as liberal, and the second as conservative?

I think your 'conservative/liberal' ideas may be a little different to mine. I think the person who yammers on about sex all the time is no more liberal than the one who just has sex.

Please - an American tell me - (pref NYC or Kyri) - How do you benefit from being so indiscreet?

Incidentally - everyone feels odd when they are amongst people more conservative than them . But I can almost guarantee that although your company may be conservative in some ways you are missing out but not looking beyond that - for they will be so lunatic and unfathomable in others once you get your eye in.

Where's the fun in having everything on display all the time?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
To Coleman: Hangon Captain Twisto. wink

I never said you were dishonest. I only wondered if there wasn't SOME dishonesty associated with not openly mentioning sex.

I'm more wondering about an activity like Beltane (going on only heresay mind you) where it seems like one day a year, everyone goes nuts on one night and never says a peep all year. It seems a bit dishonest. I mean MAYBE there are folks who really only like to have sex once a year and they usually just happen to get that feeling in the spring... but I get the feeling that there's some repression in the area of sex that isn't there in the area of drugs and other pursuits.

I think also, not only is there more acceptability of promiscuous or overt sex (which I don't indulge in) but also in more traditional sex.

I've never heard a peep about toys or stores or anything else sex related in the UK scene. Here, I've got a buddy who's worked at Toys in Babeland (www.babeland.com) [NOT WORK FRIENDLY!] and they've even provided supplies for parties (that I didn't go to because I don't 'smoke' wink )

It's actually a really nice, well lit, store with lovely knowledgable storeclerks specializing in making couples feel comfortable and open about having sex. Most of it I'm not into... but hey, edible pina colada lotion can be fun at times. eek

I just get the feeling that there are folks in the UK that would enjoy edible Pina Colada lotion and don't have the kind of access because the society doesn't accept it... and THAT I find a bit strange in such a liberal society as firespinners.

I'm not actually mounting an arguement or making a point here... I'm more just interested in cultural differences.

But I will disagree with any suggestion that "Drugs are harmless but sex is harmful"... both can be both.

And Cole, I actually think that you're one of the more sexually open and liberal guys that I've met in the UK. In that you've actually implied that you might have had sex with your hot girlfriend. Which is strange because if you were here, you'd be hanging out with me on the conservative side of the spectrum. (Sorry to blow up your spot wink )
EDITED_BY: NYC (1129915528)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

NYC - to me this sentance doesn't make sense and I think it is an important one: (clarity please?)

2) I completely disagree that liberal Brits have more discression about drugs or sexual orientation other 'liberal' topics.

I gotta keep it quick cuz the bell's gonna ring but...

Clapham summer, count the number of times someone mentions drugs (ping!) in a serious and matter of fact manner (like they're actually doing it)

Now compare to the actual number of sexual references that are real and true

GOTTA RUN!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,638 posts

Posted:

just get the feeling that there are folks in the UK that would enjoy edible Pina Colada lotion and don't have the kind of access because the society doesn't accept it... and THAT I find a bit strange in such a liberal society as firespinners.

I can only assume you had your eyes shut!

There are sex shops in all main shopping areas (Anne Summers being one of the most well known) - even in small towns.

Most people I know own some sort of sex toy or would know how/where to get them.

Most bookshops (inc all the highstreeet ones) have shelves upon shelves of 'better sex' 'karma sutra' 'sex n sensuality' type books and manuals ubblol

Fetish clubs are rife.

Look at the number of people banging on about Torture Garden etc....... Have you been?

Can you really have missed it all?

It seems you are thinking of this steriotypical 'prudish brits' image rather than seeing what's in front of you. Sure - we're crafty flirts, more teasing and less blatant, and a lot of it is just enjoying the chase.... we may not yell 'fancy a shag' every five minutes but it's all just as accepted as anywhere else in the world. I find it crazy you would think otherwise hug
EDITED_BY: fluffy napalm fairy (1129917035)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:

Please - an American tell me - (pref NYC or Kyri) - How do you benefit from being so indiscreet?

A couple disclaimers: I think I've missed the point of the thread as well! tongue I also think I have loads less exposure to this particular subcuture than NYC, and a little bit more to a more typhical geek subculture. Finally, I think the word indiscreet is meaning slightly different things to each of us.

But to answer your question, Its a way of learning. I very rarely mention names. I do my best to not talk about people when they're there unless they're cool with it, even when they're "just some bloke I know" when I tell a story. There's some things I won't talk about if I know it'll upset a person. But I think a lot is learned from talking. In the US it often comes out a bit strange... and exaggerated, and more like boasting, even among girls. But there's learning that goes on even in the weirdest of these, altho sometimes its incorrect stuff :/ And of course people make too much in the ways of assumptions. I hesitate to detail examples on a board like this, but an example is "lasting power."

And in one on one conversations there's loads to be learned because you can get away from the social issues, although I'm not sure if those are being counted here or not. I do think british culture is more resistant to talking about that sort of thing, but I think what NYC is getting at is open group conversation- so- back to that-

I know some people that learn much of what they know from that, and an occasional well educated partner. And surely sharing is good, when its done properly and without too much ego? It helps people know that other people have problems, solutions, and just generally helps proliferate ideas....

And, final disclaimer, i'm 99% sure this isn't what NYC likes about it tongue
But its my take. Oh, and it means if I fancy kissing someone its not such a big deal. We can take a few kisses at a party and no-one's going to stress over it. But perhaps thats possible in england too and i'm unaware.

I do like the everyone flirting thing tho, that cole mentioned. Its much nicer in some ways. I imagine it can make it harder to pull tho.

I'm not advocating the WE'VE BEEN HAVING S*X sort of shouting from the rooftops. But I don't see anything wrong with people chatting about "well in my expirience" or "she's a good kisser" or somesuch.

Maybe this whole post was just off topic....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol Ok, yes, there's some stuff NYC seems to have been missing! Man, the first time someone referenced Anne Summers I thought they were talking about an actual person...... ubblol

I don't think its all in his head tho. I didn't know Brits were supposed to be prudish and wouldn't belive some friends of mine from there that had travelled to america that they were more so. I assumed it was a difference in the groups they had hung out with in america vs in britain.

But it finally hit me at the end of my trip, and I wasn't the only american to bring it up either. There is an attitude difference, and its not just the flirty slower to shag thing. There's a sense of being less comfortable with it.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
So - for my leaving do - One big orgy then?

*crosses fingers*

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
In my experience, it's easy to get *access* to sexual bits and bobs (toys, outfits, clubs etc etc) but difficult to get anyone to *talk* about it. It still happens, but it's not talked about as much.

I'm not sure what part of this is repressive. If someone starts talking about sex then you either have to know them well, or everyone would think that they were strange.

Example: Sitting at the kitchen table on my Uni floor, there are about 5 people there. Discussion turns to what one of the girls on our floor was doing. She'd gone to a male student's room, and stayed the night there. So, the conversation went:

Male1: "I bet she's been sc**wing all night"
Male2: "Well, just cos she stayed the night doesn't mean she had sex"
Female1: "Yeah, she might have just been talking..."
Male1: "Yeah, right!"
Female1: "Or maybe she didn't go all the way, just had a bit of nookie"
Male3: "What? A bit of..." (makes finger motions)
Female1: "God, you don't do it like *that* do you?
Male3: Why, what's wrong with it?
Female1: (shakes head)
Male3: O.K. tell me what you prefer then, if not that."
Female1: "I don't see why I have to tell you anything!"

So, in general, people talk about sex. But they don't talk about specifics. Not sure why. It's alright to joke about, but unless you know someone really well, you don't go into specifics. Is it different in America? Can someone guess how the conversation would have run differently if it had been Americans talking?

(Note: I'll talk about pretty much anything, I'm describing typical attitudes of people I've met smile )

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Grrr... you're missing my point again.

I'm AGREEING that you're 'more flirty and less blatant'. That's MY point.

Fetish clubs are rife.

Look at the number of people banging on about Torture Garden etc....... Have you been?

I've been to Uberpoi, Play, EJC, Clapham, Edinburgh Fire night, Edinburgh Juggling, Sheffield PiP, and Spitz. I've spent 6 months out of the last 3 years in the UK.

I'm confused because you seem to be saying two different things (Which clearly means I don't understand what you're saying ubbangel ) On one side I think (but am probably wrong) you're saying that you're not overtly sexual because it's inpalatable... on the other side I feel like you're suggesting that I'm simply not hanging out in the right places? I'm honestly curious and will accept your opinion as you have much more experience than me there. Can you explain...

Do you think the UK firespinning community is as comfortable around the overt use drugs as overt sexual displays? If so... what is the 'ping' word for sex? wink biggrin

Do you feel that the UK firespinning community is as overtly sexual as the US firespinning community?

Do you feel that your experience is on the liberal end of comfort with sexuality or on the conservative end? (That is, are most of your firespinning buddies more reserved or more overt than you?) Hrmm... that last one seemed more personal that I usually ask online... but if you look back at my above statements I fell very conservative here and very liberal when I'm there.

I've got more questions... but I'm off.

I'm listening and will take your word for it.

My GUT reaction is: the community is there, but it's not as closely tied to the firespinning community.

If you think it is, then I think others above you might disagree.

I think you're taking this as a personal attack and I'm really just looking at it as an interesting demographic.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,638 posts

Posted:
no no not personal at all I'm just writing (as I think you are) in stolen little bits of time and not paying enough attention to my intonation......... oops!

Q1) no for firespinners - more drugs and less sex.

I will apologize fully: as the main groups that I move in are non-spinners, I was applying things you were saying to my life experience as a whole - in which case drugs and sex are equal in the social acceptance and stigma they generate. But the poi community is definately more related to music and drugs than sex and arty expression.

Q2) No I don't.

Q3) Equal I think. They range from very conservative to outspoken fetishists.

Like I said - not an attack (and I wasn't being defensive - just chattering smile ) So all is good.

But going back to your elephant. I don't think that it's not ebing talked about........ or whatever.............. i just think it isn't there/hasn't been noticed, rather than being ignored :rolsmile:

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I really thought this thread was going to be like "the "L" word" but it's totally not. sigh...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well i will say this much.
i didn't get ANY nookie in the UK.
I got a little in other places of europe, and too much back here in the u.s.
i think meg refusing to make out with me threw me off my stride a bit...
ubblol

but seriously, i fugure that Europeans are more in the middle, healthy openness in conversation, but more reserved in action, whereas Americans are more to the extremes. i think it comes from reactions to social repressions, finding equilibriums. NYC i do think you are hanging out in the wrong crowds in the UK if you want to see rampant sexuality. the jugglers just don't seem to go there. or at least vixen wouldn't. damn boyfriends. actually come to think of it i saw cole hardly at all at Fal, just lots of condensation on the tent.
really though, there's lots of rampant sex here at BM stuff in the U.S. but i generally feel like it is not very healthy and want to leave the area a.s.a.p.

that being said, EJC'06 here i come! i fell in love like 15 times there. juggler girls are hot. now if they'd just give me some kisses...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Arashi, you're scaring all the girls away with your brash american manner! ubbloco

Loud n' proud Americans are the stereotype... Seems like the accepted way to get laid around here.

*shrugs redface

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
In Australia, we are too busy dodging drop bears, wrestling crocodiles (they're like alligators) and oiling llamas to worry about sex.
we leave that to the white spotted storks ya see!

it's good to talk about sex on the internet cus you can't see me blush.
unless i put a graemlin on.
like this one.. wow ..no i mean this one.... redface

i really liked the summary about the importance of this subject that used to be benjamen's sig quote...:!:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Molly

NYC - a sweeping generalisation or two for you before I sweep out of the room:

your community is mainly liberal arty types with fire spinning as another expressive outlet (along with the kinky)

my community is basically juggling geeks wink

DINGDINGDING!!!

Molly got it in one.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

well i will say this much.
i didn't get ANY nookie in the UK.
I got a little in other places of europe, and too much back here in the u.s.
i think meg refusing to make out with me threw me off my stride a bit...
ubblol

TOO much? I'll take some of the extra, then...

-Mike

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
are you kindding? i'm stockpiling it up as surplus before the next time i go to England... wink
now if only i was actually getting "too much" instead of it being a build up to a joke frown

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

3,638 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
too much "s" sounds like an algebraic expression.
mmmm maths gets me excited!
:strokes financial calculator:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... maybe UK and Irish spinners are just more choosey? umm

ubblol

Arashi... EJC '06 is in Ireland (Cork) next year.

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Q1) no for firespinners - more drugs and less sex.

I will apologize fully: as the main groups that I move in are non-spinners, I was applying things you were saying to my life experience as a whole - in which case drugs and sex are equal in the social acceptance and stigma they generate. But the poi community is definately more related to music and drugs than sex and arty expression.

That's all I was saying YAY! bounce

I'm absolutely positive there is kink and fetish in the UK, I've got plenty of UK friends here who fetish and kink it upon both sided of the pond (and who say the London fetish scene is way bigger than the New York). I was just wondering why the sexx/fetish scene wasn't overlapping the HoP jugglers as much.

And THAT was my surprise. (Since they seemed to be liberal about everything else... etc, etc...)

I think you're absolutely right about the poi scene being juggly there and artsy here... as discoursed on my London Factor thesis of years past. smile

And no arashi, I wasn't trying to see kink and fetish communities, I'm sure I could have found them if I looked (Though more in London that Edinburgh probably.)

And I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND how ARASHI is not getting jumped on a regular basis in the UK. I think it might be the same reason... if you were hanging out with the Bluecats, Colemans and Megs of the fetish/kink UK world, they could hook you up with some crazy kinky hotties in a second. But since you picked the Bluecats, Colemans, and Megs of the POI community... they can probably hook you up with some sexy discount juggling equiptment. wink

And I feel like I gotta say again I'm certainly quite satisfied in my current situation. ubblove I'm certainly not looking for any extra kink myself as I'm more of a 'behind closed doors' guy... just wondering why I wasn't seeing it in my travels.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
It reminds me Drew showing illegal Poi moves smile

POI THEO(R)IST

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Lol... maybe UK and Irish spinners are just more choosey?

i think you may be onto it... oh the spinners in the UK actually have TASTE!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Apparently so...

Good sex beats lots of sex.

And NYC, lots of the uber-types are in relationships (getting le good sex).

So the rest of us juggle

smile

Getting to the other side smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well I think you UK birds are nuts. How long was Arashi there! I've seen photos!!
Come to Australia, mate!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, too bad I'm not Arashi's type. I'd wear the poor boy out. devil

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Good sex beats lots of sex.

And NYC, lots of the uber-types are in relationships (getting le good sex).

So the rest of us juggle

smile

Indeed. I'd suggest most of us in solid relationships are getting BETTER sex than those of us hitting up one night stands in tents at festivals. At least that's what I personally prefer. biggrin

I'd even suggest that MOST of the nookie that goes on both sides of the pond is descrete. It's just wierd not seeing any over sex at all whereas here I occationally find myself overting my eyes. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: