boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
I am new to twirling poi and have recently brought the poi video off HoP. I'm finding it really difficult! I've been reading this site,(which I'm addicted too!) including reviews of products that say 'just brought poi as a beginner and I've already learnt loads of tricks' etc etc. I'm trying to learn the butterfly trick with each arm going over my shoulders (that progresses onto the mexican wave) but I just can't get my head around it. I can just about do it if I start by swinging the poi backwards, but the video says to start by swinging the poi forwards.
I'd just like to know, did all you guys pick up poi and were naturals from the beginning? Do you all get frustrated coz you can't do moves sometimes? Should I give up now coz I don't have the natural flare?!? I just want to be as good as the women on the video! Help!!!

Boo x

Always remember... one MUST protect thy bread....

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
this is probably the most unhelpful comment you will hear toady...but don't do it cause you want to be as good as anyone else. play around!

if you can't learn a trick - don't worry, just make pretty patterns & as you get used to the feel of them, more stuff will come.

pssss..it's also really helpful to have someone to show you stuff sometimes, often it's impossible to work out what you're doing wrong because you can't see properly, so you need a handy helper!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: boopoi

Do you all get frustrated coz you can't do moves sometimes?

Answer: All the time biggrin

I've been spinning for about 3 months now and it happens every time I try to learn something new because your mind knows what you need to do, but your body just won't listen tongue

Try doing a search for other threads relating to learning new tricks and you'll find that you're definitely not alone.

When I first started poi, because I'm right handed, I found that I spun the right poi faster than my left, but after a while, it's just doing it constantly and your body will get used to it.

As with learning all tricks, my advice would be to learn the action with one poi only at first and when you can do it pretty well, swap hands and learn the action with the other before trying to put them two together. I often find that helps me progress because I know for a fact that my hands are doing what they are meant to be, just not simultaneously.
Oh, finding other spinners as well is often a great way of learning because you'll find that you learn quicker off others rather than on your own.

I took up poi to improve my coordination and I knew it'd be tough to get started. I haven't met anyone yet who was a natural at poi when they first picked it up, only fast learners.

Hope that helps and never give up wink

It's better to burn out than to fade away

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Thanks! You're right, I was really enjoying it until I brought the video and got frustrated. I was just twirling around, it felt nice.

I think I'm taking it too seriously, I just need to have fun! When I started I said 'I don't want anyone to teach me, I just want to pick it up myself' - what happened? Your post wasn't unhelpful at all. Thanks!

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Yep, you're right. i don't know where my seriousness has come from! When i started I was just enjoying spinning how I liked, not how I thought I was SUPPOSED to be doing it.

Thanks for your post, you have made me realise that I should just relax and enjoy it. Afterall - what's the point in doing something if you get frustrated?

Thank you!

Boo x

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
*waits until you start learning to juggle*

you think poi's frustrating? at least poi are really hard to drop...

*goes off swearing to throw balls at the sky for a little while longer*

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Learning moves can be frustrating and difficult at times. At the very least, sometimes, you need to look at the move from several different angles. This is one of the reasons why spinning poi with others can be so helpful. However, for basic to intermediate base moves, you can get three different takes on the moves by checking out these three tutorial sites:
Poi Lessons:
HoP Poi Lessons
Mots Place lesson list
DoMorePoi lesson list

Hope that helps..
And never forget to enjoy the spin smile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

v_i_cmember
57 posts

Posted:
I'm also relatively new to Poi, i've been learning for 3 weeks now.

Two tips I have found useful since learning;
1.To spin with others. I've started going to Spitz near liverpool street. I just look around, and if I see someone do a trick, I just go and ask them if they can teach me.

2. Practice - sounds obvious. Try and break a trick down into smaller elements, like practicing with one poi, or just doing the hand movements.

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

*waits until you start learning to juggle*

Already mastered the juggling (just about). Got some balls here on my desk to have a little play with throughout the day! Not quite doing tricks yet though. I look more like one of those comedy clowns that always falls over and gets pies in their faces!

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Many of you have suggested watching others doing poi. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who can spin in Felixstowe (not much goes around this way!!) I sued to see it all the time at raves in woods but haven't been to one in ages. But hey, that's a good excuse as any to get my butt to a rave.... Wonder whats going on this weekend....?!?!?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Another tip, some people, like me find it difficult to learn moves off instruction videos etc. I seriously recomend to EVERYONE starting out poi that I've ever help to buy this book Click me! It is the bible of poi spinning, very easy to follow with diagrams and you will find yourself refering to it even a year from now, as it caters from beginner moves to intermediate-advanced moves.

It also includes the most important advice, and that is to enjoy it!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Same thing with me pretty much, ive been spinning about 2 months now allmost 3 (I think) and im only really just starting to get the hang of moving my wrists properlly. Itle take time, but suddenly after a while you find you can just do stuff you couldnt do before.

the thing I dislike is the fact I cant see myself spinning, there arnt any good size mirrors in the house (and the house is to small anyway for indoor spinning), stand infront of a car and look at your reflection in the windows, you can concentrate on what your arms are doing then.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Well, I'd thought I'd thought I@d just let you know (for those of you who care!) That I've just been for a spin and I can do it! I think I've given myself and my brain a rest and now I can do the move I was trying to do yesterday.

I'm not giving up now! It's true, if at first you don't succeed...

Happy Boo :-)

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

you think poi's frustrating? at least poi are really hard to drop...

Really? Tell that to the socks stuck in the tree in my back yard.

wink

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
I've hit the lampshaed a few times, I should really stop doing it in the house (Poi that is ;-)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ah no, it's only when you start smashing light bulbs that you have to worry

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Congrats Boo! smile

And as for being able to see yourself, yeah, it really is kinda important to see that. I had thought I'd almost got the behind the back weave.. it felt almost right, i just had trouble completing a cycle... Well, I saw tried it in front of a mirror and it looks like total shite frown.. sigh.. back to the drawing board in a big way on that one. The BTB 3bt weave once again eludes me wholly frown.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
from my memories of learning that, start with a reverse 3bt in front. as you're about to finish on one side, pass the hand that would normally go over to the other side behind your back. leave the other hand on its opposite side for a beat, then go back to doing it normally. That really doesn't make a great deal of sense, i don't think, but aimee has a video on here (or had, at least) that shows what i'm talking about.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Take up staff smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I was going to say the Meet Others section could be useful if you want to meet people, but i just ran a search, and there are no posts about Felixstowe, and im not too hot on where is near Felixstowe, run a search for places close to you that you can get to, you might find people.

and one thing that is important to keep in mind when spinning.
You will only hit yourself when you think you're going to hit yourself.

(and a quick tip for the butterfly keep the top hand just infront of the bottom hand

==HAND)/
=HAND)/

like that)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Thanks all for the great advice! A friend and myself are going out to find somewhere to spin in a minute. I will tell her all your tips... She brought poi at the same time as me so we're both spinning like maniacs at the mo! Good to have someone as rubbish as me to spin with though :-)

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
boo, give me a shout if your ever in norwich or at any partys around east anglia and we'll arrange some lessonshug

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: boopoi

Well, I'd thought I'd thought I'd just let you know (for those of you who care!) That I've just been for a spin and I can do it! I think I've given myself and my brain a rest and now I can do the move I was trying to do yesterday.

i love it when that happens smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, smashed lightbulbs, the lounge will never be the same again.

And you also often find that you wont be able to do a move for ages and then one day youll try for the first time and get it right easily. Thats the joy of poi.

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Went out again today, I've learned the weave. Strange when I still can't do other more simple stuff! i've also done a reel turn forwards and backwards. I think I'm getting the hang of this now!

Yipppeeeeeee!!!

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
gratz on the weave. now lets see a 5beat eh? ;-) in all seriousness if you can do a 3bt weave you can do most similar difficulty moves, its just different body directions and hand height and such. I tell ya one thing that made me a WHOLE lot more coordinated is learning to do the same weave with my body facing all kinds of directions and doing the weave at different heights etc. Forinstance, do a forwards 3bt weave, then keeping the SAME hand motions, turn your body 90 degrees to the right or left. your PLANE will NOT change, just how far your hands go, so basically if u turn to the right, your right hand will have to reach all the way accros your body and then under your left arm and behind you. this will help you learn to deal with wall plane type stuff and get you used to doing stuff behind u that you cant see (cause in this case your left hand goes behind you a bit. This is also making u do half of a windmill, just bring your hands up above your head and keep mostly the same motion and u got windmill, then bring em across the rest of the way to your other side and u are in a sort of reverse 3bt weave, turn your body to match and YOU JUST DID A FOUNTAIN.

so, just by turning yourself and raising you hands u did 3 individual move and one combo (the fountain) all without having to really learn anything new. how spiffy is that?

another lil trick i used to teach some buds of mine some coordination is to do a 3bt weave forwards, but lowish on your body about waisty height or there abouts, and when u go to turn, don't cross hands, just let one stay in front and one behind u. So say you turn 90 degree to the right, your right hand stays in front of u and left behind, spinning the same circle, probably split time at this point but if you need to drop into same time, whatever works. then when the poi are pointing out away from u in either direction just switch hands, do left is in front and right behind, hold that circle a sec to steady yourself then turn 90 degrees more and u are now in wheel spin reverse. then start reverse weave. I love to transition from forwards to reverse by doing low reel and wheel/wall plane moves, duno why they just feel good.

KEEP PRACTICING.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Thanks Imbalance! That's what I've been thinking recently, I can learn all these moves but to do a routine I'll have to link them all up. But one thing at a time hey!!

I'll def try and give your moves a go tonight. But that's another thing, sometimes I find books hard to understand...