Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Dowelling throughout or just the ends?

Login/Join to Participate

Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Well i've been to B & Q, probably got all the wrong stuff but i can see the start of a beautiful relationship forming in front of me in the form of my first practise staff i'm making! ubbrollsmile

One question though, i have a 3/4 inch 5ft piece of chrome/aluminium pipe, and i also have enough dowelling to totaly fill the inside of the tube which feels fine, heavy but then again i like it like that. Does it matter if i have the whole length filled with wooden dowel or should it just be a few inches at each end? I've seen both methods mentioned on home made staff sites.

I'm so looking forward to using this staff, i got me some nice black tennis raquet grip, some foam pipe insulation to cover the ends of the chrome pipe which will be covered with tape also (i'm sticking this on the end as i WILL be bashing things, including me....i'm the clumsiest guy ever!).

It's crude but hopefully useable and effective.

Thanks,

Calv.

EDITED_BY: Calv (1126550424)

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I'd go for the whole length. Thats what I did. Feels nice, Although i'm finding i want to upgrade to 1 inch diameter tube now.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Does it hurt more dowelled throughout?

Because I've been wondering about that lately.... my staffs are so much more painful than anyone's that i borrow.....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

893 posts

Posted:
It's heavier so yeah, it's gonna have a bit more clout when it decides it wants to kiss your face.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Does it hurt more dowelled throughout?

Because I've been wondering about that lately.... my staffs are so much more painful than anyone's that i borrow.....

Quit being such a wuss wink hug

All the way through! biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Just putting dowel in the ends would dramatically change the way the staff spins. This is a thingy i wrote about end weight on staffs

Written by: me

i reckon how much the staff "flows" through contacty stuff isn't really dependent on how heavy the staff is, but on the ratio of:-

{total staff weight} to {weight on the ends}

Too much weight on the ends = crazy runaway staff that you can't control

Too little weight on the ends = not enough momentum, slows to a stop during moves then falls on the floor with an embarrassing *clonk*

Additional point: When I say weight 'on the ends' thats not an either/or judgement. Its a sliding scale based on distance from the centre.

A 500g weight 1 foot away from the staff centre is equal to a 1kg weight 2 foot away from the centre (i think)

so you might wanna check out how the staff feels with more or less distributed weight before you make your decision.

You should also bear in mind that pipe with no dowel in it will get bent very easily when you chuck it onto concrete and a fat person stands on it.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmm.

just the ends ubblove

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

and a fat person stands on it.

Written by: 50 Cent

I love you like a fat girl loves cake

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

893 posts

Posted:
I now know why I never see you on UF Meg. Your to busy being random on here tongue

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
noddles? Are you the moderator noodles?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
He is indeed smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

893 posts

Posted:
biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that's NUTS!

really nuts!

Wow. Well you learn something new everyday... What do you spin?

Where do you live and... Er, g'damn, you stole my name, I was going to be called noodles, cos of my hair, but had to use my wwf wrestlin' name instead. biggrin hug

893 posts

Posted:
Lol. Crazy crazyness. I spin staff and diabolo.
The Noodles nickname came from Marquis so blame him.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was gobsmacked when I saw that sticky did diabolo.

biggrin redface

893 posts

Posted:
Sticky does Diabolo? WTF???

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
check the barcelona video! Thats sticky doing some good diabolo!

893 posts

Posted:
*rushes to check pk vids archive*

893 posts

Posted:
WOW. That boys got skills. Next time I jam with sticky i'm taking my diabolo along too.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
lucky [censored], getting to jam with sticky!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ahem..
offtopic

wink
*runs off to UF*

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
UF???

893 posts

Posted:
We did kinda hi-jack this one. Sorry.

UCOF what do you post as on UF? (edit : should have guessed. Just spotted you.)

Oh and Mr C, UF is Urban Freeflow. The home of Freestyle Parkour.
EDITED_BY: [noodles] (1126713617)

djedinewbie
1 post

Posted:
The balence seems to be much better with the dowel all the way throuh. It will also come out better balanced after you wrap it.

Sargothnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
I have a few grudges with metal, so here are my thoughts:

A dowel all the way through results in extra weight, this is unavoidable, but it also gives strength to the staff. Metal, especially lighter metal like aluminum, has done nothing but bend and dent every time I use it. Then again, I'm a big guy, so I tend to V steel staves, but I digress. The wooden core prevents the staff from losing shape and denting, so it looks/works better and longer.

Since I have been designing some lighter staffs for some members of my troupe, I did not like the weight issue, so I changed the rules. I cut nine inch sections of metal from my aluminum staff and slid them onto the tips of a wooden staff, using a power drill to screw them in place. This gives more than enough protection to the wood dowel for a four or five inch wick, which is my preferred length, and all additional weight is left on the ends instead of spread out.

So yeah, dowel all the way through, or reverse the technique and cap a wood staff with metal sections. Hope my rant was useful.

I will teach you everything I know, save for my patented drop trick...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I personally always go for dowel just at the ends (but a good bit at the ends, or hardwood to add weight). Fully cored staffs are just too fast. I can spin light things fast and slow, but I dislike having to force a staff to be slow.

I know it means the metal is more likely to bend, but to me this says: get better metal.

I might fully core a crap metal staff, or matchsticks, but otherwise I don't see the need. You can get better weight distribution by adding more weight at the ends.

Haven't tried wooden staffs with metal ends, but can't say the idea has much appeal. Generally too wide and well, they can break, not just bend. Why?!

Fibreglass is surely the way forward, with titanium ends...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I agree with MCP.

There are lots of grades of aluminium, and also different thicknesses of the tube wall to choose from.

If you get higher grade aluminium, with a 2mm+ tube wall, it will be much harder to bend than others.

I've played with fully wooden staves before, and all of them ended up with wood burning or charcoaling eventually.

That being said, this is with 20-50 burns in a busking session.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

That being said, this is with 20-50 burns in a busking session.

Kick ass! How long does that take? I don't think I even got up to twenty and I was going on for 1 and a half hours...

Sargothnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Capping the ends with metal prevents the charcoaling problem. As far as thickness, using a very thin aluminum/copper is all that is required because strength comes from the wood. I actually take the time to sand down the ends of a wooden staff the same thickness as the aluminum tube so that there is barely a difference between the wood and the metal.

As for grades of aluminum, yes, some are better than others. I have just gotten into a habit of bending steel, so aluminum is basically a toy. If I can bend it back without propping it between two concrete benches and standing on the middle, I tend to bow the thing every five minutes. I'd rather a stick crack than have my staff always bend and never quite go back to being straight. Maybe it's just a problem I have?

I have never broken a wooden staff yet, typically using hardwood. Several sticks are basically community burn equipment now, and no one seems to take particular care to being gentle with them *pets stick sympathetically*. I'm probably just weird, lol.

I will teach you everything I know, save for my patented drop trick...