Forums > Social Discussion > Grrrrrrrrrr...Novelty Pets

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay...so this is me ranting...venting...going off.

I have this real soft spot in my heart for reptiles, especially boids (constrictor snakes) and some of the medium sized lizards.

Because of this I have opened my home to rehabilitating several from people who have owned them thinking they are a novelty item and easy to care for.

First of all, all reptiles actually require specific care, more than a dog or a cat. Because of this people get into a bind.

Then there is the temperment. Many reptiles, especially snakes, get more ornery the older they get and people don't like that.

Recently, due to poor care and several incedents of attacks due to poor care NYS issued regulations on exotic pets.

Someone actually released two crocodiliads into the Erie Canal instead of finding proper care for them!!! WTF????

And I as a rescuer, I have seen some atrocities but today I found I am getting two Bearded Dragons from an abused home...and one is going to have to have his leg amputated because he was so badly abused. This makes me sooooo angry and so sad and so...just....argh!

Now, I personally prefer animals to people most of the time and what I don't get is what sick, twisted person could damage something so small and defenseless? Why?

Why do people starve their cats and kick their dogs?

Why do people hurt these creatures that will be insanely loyal and love without condition?

And this poor little creature, if it survives, will have such a tough journey ahead of it all because some *!$%head thought it would be a cute novelty item.

mad frown

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I've got a good way to stop people abusing their animals: Do the exact same thing to them. If they have a cat that they broke the rib of, break one of theirs. Maybe you shouldn't kill them, but something nasty, anyway.

I get *extremely* annoyed by people who abuse animals.

Oh, that wasn't a totally serious suggestion btw, just before people start calling me a sicko... biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
This reminds me of a program i saw on TV last night.
They think there are 1500 Lions, Tigers and other big cats in cages in backyards in America. You can now buy a lion cub for something like 300 dollers, thats less than some pure breed puppies!!
Now considering that by the time its 1 year old that cute little cub you bought will be bigger and stronger than its owner (and they DO escape and they DO eat people!) it makes me wonder-

WHAT THE H3LL DO THESE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE DOING!!!!!

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Thankfully there are more laws in the UK about what animals you can have and there are licenses etc that people need before owning some animals.

I'm really annoyed with the whole keeping dogs like dolls (as modelled by Paris Hilton) its a dog..it doesn't want dressing up or to be kept in a burberry bag. let it run around in the mud like other dogs!!

Half of my pets are rehomed because people don't think before they buy.

grr

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: .:star:.

I'm really annoyed with the whole keeping dogs like dolls (as modelled by Paris Hilton) its a dog..it doesn't want dressing up or to be kept in a burberry bag. let it run around in the mud like other dogs!!

I actually have a real hatred for people who treat their pets better than they do people. Not that I'm saying we shouldn't treat them well, it's just the excessive pampering is REALLY over the top.

As for pets, I've never had a pet apart from a dog when I was small, because I've never had a 'right' environment for caring for a pet. Sure, reptiles are cool and I'd love a snake or iguana, but i know how big iguanas can get, which is why i know my limits and therefore don't keep one.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: .:star:.

Thankfully there are more laws in the UK about what animals you can have and there are licenses etc that people need before owning some animals.

Half of my pets are rehomed because people don't think before they buy.

grr

actualy some do, you will not get a dog to do anyhting it dosent want to do. I once put my mums yorkshire terrier in a little buggy and tried to take a picture, jessica wasnt having any of it. You cant even pick cats up (or even streoke ones) that odnt want you too, so if you see someone with a cat or a dog wearing a caot and its not struggling, it dosent mind.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I love reptiles too, my soft spot is for the larger terrestrial/some arboreal geckos and australian lizard species. I also know my limits, which is why I currently only keep Egyptian dwarf geckos- I just don't have the space or time for larger, more demanding species.

Reptile sections in high street pet shops with ignorant staff (Oh I never touch them, I like the rabbits. Iguanas are easy though, they eat grapes) often upset me. angry

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I have a thing about pet shops period! I really don't like the idea that you put worth on a life in pounds and pence (insert your own currency here). I also don't like the way they treat them as mear goods the same way they treat the canned cat food or a dog brush.

I have a cat and have had cats all my life. The cat(s) I have and have had are/were free at anytime to leave. They have had their own door and they have come and gone as they pleased. The cat I have now started out as my cat when he was dumped as a kitten but he found that Les next door was feeding him fresh fish and cheese and evaporated milk so he moved in next door with les. That was fine by me, as I say he is free to come and go as he pleases. When Les died at the end of last year the cat came back and I have been feeding him since. If he were to find a new place to go that he liked better he would be off I'm sure, as he is the original 6 dinner Sid. I would be sad to see him go but I wouldn't stop him. The cat I had up until a few months ago lived until she was 21 years old and came with me whenever I moved. She liked me and I love her. She never got tempted by the goods on offer by Les ubblol hence she lived a long life and wasn't a fat lardy arse ubblol

I don't agree with keeping exotic pets. I don't like the pet trade at all. There is so much cruelty that goes on and its not about animal welfare its just about profit.

You can call me a hypocrite if you like as I have a cat. All the cats I've had are moggies and have come to me needing homing. I would NEVER go to a pet shop/ breader and buy a kitten.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Brit-Joe, you can train a dog to do a lot of things and a lot of things that they don't really want to do but they do it because otherwise they get told off for not doing it and they get rewarded if they do.

Just because Paris Hilton's dog is wearing a jumper and lives in a bag does not mean that it would not have a much better life if it was allowed to run about and have fun like normal dogs. I'm sure if it was given the choice it would not be the silly outfits!

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...I just don't agree with the excessive stuff because it's taking dogs etc further and further away from its more natural lifestyle since they were first domesticated.

I just started thinking: what made people domesticate animals in the first place? What was it like living with a wild animal that they saw and thought 'i'll take that home' *imagines feral cats and wolves*
Was it a novelty to them?...

I just think they were either brave or stupid, but it worked.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
@seraph:

I think it all started with wolves, they'd eat scraps left by people. As a result, they wouldn't hurt the people - they didn't need to, as food was there. The next stage was that the people would deliberately feed the wolves. The wolves then worked out that if they were nice, they got food. And then worked out that when the people weren't there, they didn't, thus leading into protection at night. This snowballed to today's domestication.

That's what i think happened, anyway. makes sense...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
What bothers me is when people don't name their pets. You take an animal into your house, you feed it, you care for it, hopefully you're rather attached to it. If you don't name it, that's a sign that something's not quite right with the situation. It doesn't have to be anything creative, it can be tacky and overly sweet, as long as you're calling it something other than "the dog" or whatnot.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i caught a small snake when i was little...it bit me..so i fed it to my cat.

**shrugs**

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Irenenewbie
14 posts

Posted:
The "Novelty Pets" issue strikes a chord with me. I have pet mice. Mice aren't the strongest animals and I need to take mine to the vet, as I would a dog or cat.

Although this is also common for a dog or cat, it's very usual to see something like, "my snake is sick and I can't afford the vet."

But people consider it to be odd or crazy that to take a $5 mouse to the vet. The bills are usually between $40-$80. People think that a mouse, rat, snake, bird, is a "disposable pet" just because they are (most of the listed) small and inexpensive.

Disco radical trans-global

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
I would never think of pets as disposable...especially more exotic animals like snakes or birds...the only type of animal i have a problem with in reality are bugs like ants and stuff cos they just get everywhere...

Apart from that, I would never neglect any pet (which is why I don't keep one at the moment because I'm afraid I would neglect it because where I live at the moment is not really pet-friendly)

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I also have cats that are free to roam as they please. They have proper names but they also adopted sort of "nicknames" which we usually use. Saw a show on tv the other day, this poor dog had its ears cut off using a shear by the owners kids, and the owner didnt even take it to the vet. mad Which makes me think, why do some kids have to be so cruel to animals too? (shooting birds etc.)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
The vast majority of serial killers begin with harming animals at a young age.

About 60% of them wet the bed until at least the age of 12 too.

Just something to watch out for, eh?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

@seraph:

I think it all started with wolves, they'd eat scraps left by people. As a result, they wouldn't hurt the people - they didn't need to, as food was there. The next stage was that the people would deliberately feed the wolves. The wolves then worked out that if they were nice, they got food. And then worked out that when the people weren't there, they didn't, thus leading into protection at night. This snowballed to today's domestication.

That's what i think happened, anyway. makes sense...

That reminds me of the days back on the farm smile we had about 6 stray cats, and 3 toms. Wich meant we had explosions of kittens every now and again. The BEST thing to do with kittnes is to handle them later rather than sooner, because theres nothing cuter than watching a kitten try to be fierce! ubbrollsmile biggrin

Its soooooooooooooo cute, and they do eventualy become tame anyway with enough handleing. haha its adorbale, with there little tiny baby kitten paws rubbing your skin trying to attack you teehehehe!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

*glares about at the people that let their cats "come and go as they please"*

I despise people that let their cats roam freely... appart from the fact that cats aren't as intelligent as they make out and enjoy running under cars and getting themselves killed... they also enjoy killing other animals...

speaking in particular about australia, do you know how many native and endangered birds, reptiles, and small to medium sized marsupials are killed not only by feral cats but by domestic cats that are let to roam about unattended by their irresponsible owners? nor do i, but it's a whole f*ckload, and that p!sses me off... so if you own a cat, keep it inside or in an enclosed run or watch it when it's outside, please.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

What bothers me is when people don't name their pets.

What about when you have a lot of fish that are the same breed. Fish are pets and mine are named but when I owned a load of clown loach it was near impossible to tell them apart. they all had names but I felt guilty coz I didn't know who was who.... confused

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
FoxinDocs, you might also suggest that people put collars on their cats that has bells on it, because other animals can hear them coming. wink

Mynci...that is funny.

So, I have the non-injured Beardie now. He has taken alot of work this weekend. I have handled him for most of the weekend.
He came so thin he looked deflated, malnourishment and dehydration were his biggest issues. He was caked in old sheds, dirt, poop, and who knows what else. I was told he's a biter as well. I'd bite too if I had been taken care of that way. His tail is broken in two spots.

He hasn't tried to bite me yet.
He eats...holy crap does he eat. So he's gaining weight quickly.
He hates baths, but he smelled (and he shouldn't) so badly I thought I would puke. He is back to his natural color now and the old molts are off.
He's very personable and curious and we just love him.
BTW, I named him Harlequinno Davidson. wink

We get the other one after his leg amputation is over and his course of vet meds. It was so sad.

And what I can't understand is why. These poor guys are less than a year old. They have no voice. No chance at defense and are so domesticated and out of their element they couldn't survive on their own....so why would someone hurt them like this? It breaks my heart.

But Harley is getting better.

Pele

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
bearded dragons are gorgeous, you are so lucky, and so is Harley and his friend, to have an owner who cares so much is a true blessing. it breaks my heart when animals are treated badly. i have always had a passion for animals (not in a dodgy way).

i dont like novelty pets, exoctic animals that are not domesticated and should not be kept in captivity. i have grown up with cats and dogs, and one thing to remember is that they were domesticated 1000's of yrs ago when humans were not nearly so urbanised. the conditions they were subjected to were vastly different to the conditions we subject 'wild animals' to today.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

FoxinDocs, you might also suggest that people put collars on their cats that has bells on it, because other animals can hear them coming. wink

yes and that too, and replace them when they fall off or get rusty...

oh your dragons sound lovely Pele, and very lucky to have you... i do have a soft spot for reptiles too... i want a diamond python one day, gotta do lots of research though i read somewhere they can be particularly difficult to look after...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i hate it when people name their pets really obvious names...

my grandparents for example. They have a black dog named Blackie, An orange one named Rusty, a grey cat named Greystone and another cat named whiskers or some crap.

I asked them to let me name their animals

they could have been named... Count Pietri Eisengaurd II, Bevvies, Suds, and Stacy...the last cat looked more like a stacy than a whiskers. **shrugs**

i love naming pets...ooo and cars...good thread to start.

Super'

Super'

- Mark Twain

IcerSILVER Member
205 posts

Posted:
i hear you on the names issue, my grandparents adopted stray cats from the area, they had blackie, tabby, whitey, spotty and they even had torty for the tortoise shell. i geuss it helps you keep track but it is kinda unimaginative. tabby was really fluffy and i wanted 'sir fluffy, the most fluffiest in the world, eccept for things fluffier' as the name...i geuss their name was better...

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
you could have called it.."master of all that is fluff"

or

"poopsie"..that name sounds fluffy. oooo or "Downy" like the drier sheets, they make things fluffy.

i want to buy the smallest dog on the planet and name it something huge like...Hindenburg, or Arnold.

- Mark Twain

AkashlaBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
I would feel that i was being cruel to my cat, Loki, if he were kept inside permanantly. He has had his shots, and is neutered and has his bell and collar, so i feel okay about letting him out. Maybe there is more of a problem with feral cats in Austrailia, but i could never condone keeping a grown cat inside all the time. I accept that he kills things, but then he is a cat, and they are designed to do exactly that.

Exotic pets are fine if they are looked after properly, but to buy one on a whim, or without knowing what is involved, is negligent and potentially cruel. Of course, the same can be said for everyday pets too. I like reptiles, but could never own one, as i know that it would run out of crickets or something purely because i had forgotten to go to the petshop. If i forget cat food, Loki generally gets my dinner. I think that being cruel to animals is one of the lowest activities a human can commit, as the animals have little understanding of what is going on, and practically no power to defend themselves.

What you are doing, Pele, is a very nice, thoughtful thing, and you should be proud of yourself.

I am not a bitch.
I am THE bitch.
And Im Miss Bitch to you.

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Hypothetical question: Why name an animal that won't come when you call it?

Reading this reminds me of the cat I just buried a few days ago. His name was Panther (on acount of his being enormous and black) and he would come and go as he pleased, whether you wanted him to or not. It would be impossible to attach a bell to him, as he always found a way to remove collars. I'm sure attaching a collar to him would constitute cruelty to animals anyway.
He would strut around as if 0wn3d the whole street. Nothing could scare him or freak him out. He lived to be over 14 years old, and he was still healthy.
And then he got hit by a milk float.

Back on topic...
I don't think owning a pet is in itself wrong, even if it is unusual, but you are responsible for the wellbeing of any animal you own, and it's just negligent to get an animal for the sake of appearances, or without knowing how to care for it.
I get similarly annoyed at the idea of breeding animals as ornaments at the cost of their health.

IcerSILVER Member
205 posts

Posted:
people name cars, they dont come when their called.

i think you need to weigh up whats in the best interest of the animal you want to own. for the animals we have domesticated it might be in there best interest if we did keep them, although maybe not in the manner that currently keep them. as for undomesticated (wild) animals i dont think we should, in general, keep them as pets, there are however exceptions, when it is in the animals best interest to be kept in captivity.

the animals need should come first, you need to ask yourself, WHY are you keeping a pet. cause its 'better' for you, or better for the animal?

note that this applies to pets, not animals breed for food, thats a whole other issue im not touching.

KupschSILVER Member
163 posts

Posted:
thats shocking people get a pet as a novelty!! I dont see a huge problem with keeping pets so long as you respect them and you dont treat them in a disgusting manner. they are for life, and you shouldnt neglect hem just because they cant cry out for help. pele your beardies are so lucky to be with you now. hows that going now? x

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Harley is doing great. We are moving into our new home on Sunday so he will be getting his newer, larger tank. I put him on a leash the other day and after his initial wtf? reaction, he seemed to like it and was going everywhere. He is finally free of his worms and all illness and is doing quite well.

We get Ponch next week. He is more delicate and so I wanted to wait until after the move so I wouldn't have to relocate him twice. He has been living at a vets so he is in very good care. He has been getting worm and liver treatments, and has had is chewed up leg tended to. I look very forward to getting him at the end of next week.

Harley is making his first large public appearance in one of our educational reptile presentations this weekend. I'll let you know how he does.

smile

Pele

Page: