Forums > Other Toys > Some Rope Dart Kick Tricks

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Hey yop,
in the process of perfecting some Rope Dart Kick Tricks and thought I'd share.

The Set up:
1. Spin rope dart in front of you in big circle so that it is going right to left at the top of the arc.
2. Wrap it round the right thigh once by sticking it out while the dart is at the top of the loop. After it has started to wrap round you need to let go with the right and catch the rope after it has swung round the leg. Now grab the rope with your left hand at a point between your right thigh and right hand. Oh and put that right foot down now.

So you should be in a standing postion, and if we trace the rope. It starts in your left hand, goes down between your legs around the back of the right thigh, up to the left hand, to the right hand which should be happily spinning the dart end. Note the rope doesnt completely wrap all the way around the leg.
This is the setup position for both following tricks

1. The right kick out:
With your right hand spin the dart in a circle going back wards on your right side. (From front to back at the top of the arc).
As the dart spins back raise the right leg, and out slightly to the right with the knee slightly bent. The aim here is to wrap the dart end of the rope around the right calf.
A rough line of the rope would be outside the right knee, around the back of the calf, wrapping around to the front going from the left side of the shin towards the outer ankle.
As the rope become taught acrros the shin, extend the leg. This should flick the dart forward so let go of the left hand. The two open loops should cancel them selves out and the dart should fly out to the full length of the rope. biggrin

2. The Left Kick out
Slighly easy to do and starts again with the rope held in an open loop with the left hand around the right leg.
Start doing a low weave ( I think thats what its called) with the rope-dart in the right hand
(Not being so co-ordinated at poi I need a sissy set up spin wink)
As the dart spins behind you from right to left at the bottom of the arc.
Bend the left knee moving you calf into the path of the rope. This should cause the rope to start twining the ankle. Before it completly wraps it tying you in a knot an making you hop all around the park, kick the left leg forward and let go with the left hand. This should undo the open loop and make the dart again fly out to the full length of the rope ubbrollsmile

Just ordered a camcorder off ebay so I'll post some vids when I can smile

Enjoy
KK

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
erm yeah, mine is around 15ft.

so i wrap up all the spare in loops in my left hand, and i have two knotts.

the first knott, is if i streach out my right arm at shoulder hight, and i hold the knott in my fingers, the rope dart is just off the floor.

the second knott is there to tell me that if i have touched that knott, i have to do lots of work to get it back to being on the first knott.

Step (el-nombrie)

fckinippystranger
30 posts

Posted:
Heheheh...

Ok, now you've got the hang of the kick-out, try it with the knee.

Got that?

Ok, now try it with an elbow wrap, once, twice & even 3 times round before letting it go.

Got that?

Ok, now try it with both elbows...

Oh, & when you got it clock-wise, try it anti-clockwise...

Anyone got onto body-wraps-into releases yet?
Let me know cos i'm still workin on em...

Ps luv ya mech XXX

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
Hey guys.. just picked up rope dart a couple of days ago. I got those kicks goin prety good they're fun for hitin people rolleyes (i use just extended sock poi (so no harm done) they're just 4 socks joined to gethber with one sock poi on the end... not all that great but they do the job.
As for other body wraps.. i've been playon around with some neck wraps and if u twist while doing it so ur facing the opposite way u can then throw it out afterwards.
when u guys get around to posting some videos pls tell me cos im still working on the basics biggrin

One of the many Duncans...
Feel the burn... (in a good way) meditate

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
hey again
yay i got a few moves now, just a couple of neck wraps throws and kicks biggrin i got the first kick just wokring on the second one now...
I'm learnin new things and im definetly having fun biggrin biggrin
I've also been working on stamping my foot on the rope.. like Jackie Chan does in Shagnhai with the horse shoe (what a legend wink) u have any ideas how to do some of these things? Those ariels are real fun to jump around with but i keep getting tangled on my legs frown

thanks
ubbrollsmile

fckinippystranger
30 posts

Posted:
ImmortalNinja - nice vid!

Love those kicks, not like mine at all, & i like that!

Now i'm playing with the concept of letting go & catching around a limb - strange to do, but have the feeling it's gonna lead into some luvverly stuff - thank you!

Mech - what *did* happen to you (&will & pink) nov 6th?

Open question - who's playing with horizontal planes?

Last but not least - who remembers a vid of a couple of scruffy looking, studenty types playing with rope dart in what looks like a school sports hall years & years ago, i was sure it was on hop, but now i can't find it - come on - someone must know...

Is that a bit like going into a record store & asking for the one that goes dum-de-dum-de-dum? :-0

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Im playing with plane abuse atm, the shorter the rope the easier it is to get smooth 90 degree changes, they work quite nicely, and yeah i been playing with horizontal planes, i described one kick somewhere earlier

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I mess with horizontals.
My plane discipline is absolute pants so I'm pretty sure I hit every plane under the sun smile

Horizontla planes wise I made some vids this weekend with them in.
One with a jumpy jump and one where it wraps horizontaly wround my neck and then I catch the end with my teeth.

The vids are a bit pants cos the lighting and my clothes makes it hard to see the rope but I'll ge them up as soon as I can neways.

KK

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
ooooooh any im gonne experiment with glowsticks on the end of my rope dart cos our sunday meetings are getting a bit dark so i cant dart frown

one of the things i like about rope dart is the planes arent so defined as poi, its not meant to be a straight line, it is meant for 360 degree action, as with all martial arts

fckinippystranger
30 posts

Posted:
Musta missed it & now can't find it - what was it?

The only horizontal kick i've got the hang of is a kind of cresent kick from the right hand anti-clockwise, sort of a bounce rather than a wrap/flick, it's fairly simple so you can pop it into a sequence easily, which is always nice!

As for plane abuse, that's what planes were invented for wasn't it?

Actually, i found breaking planes to be one of the hardest things to get my head round initially, just goes against everything i'd learnt with the poi, grrr...

fckinippystranger
30 posts

Posted:
Catch with teeth? GOOOOO OOOOON!!!

Luv it...

As a matter of interest, what ratio of pratical martial application to spinning/performance are peeps into?

I only ask coz i found the accuracy of the strikes very hard to master (still not there yet!) I spent most of last winter in the garden trying to make my washing line pole go "bong" with a spikey rubber dog-toy on a skipping rope! There's also a lot of snares/traps/locks/throws borrowed from chucks that work a treat - I'm almost ashamed to mention it but "american ninja" has some (havn't seen it in years - i'm not *that* sad - but it does stick in my memory!)

Oh & if you havn't seen it, you *need* to watch "Magnificent Warriors" (available from hong kong kegends) - michelle yoh does some rope dart stuff in the first ten mins that makes shanghai noon look like a f******g care bear movie!

The rest of the film's pretty good too, but this *is* a rope dart thread...

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

i got another kick if you worked them out already, this one is a little more nut risky, but works well, and looks cool if you dont hit yourself.

start by swinging it around your head with you right hand, so that when it is infront of you it is going right to left. When it is passing behind you bring your hand to about waist height (now comes the hard part) as you bring your hand down, bring your right leg infront of you, knee bent and foot pointing up, and as the string comes round catch it on your heel so it passes around your heel and under your leg (just past the afore mentioned nuts), then when it has done just over 3/4 of a circle kick forward and it should fly forward.

DISCLAIMER
i take no responsibility in lost children as a result of this or any other move i suggest tongue

there ya go, thats my horizontal kick

fckinippystranger
30 posts

Posted:
hmm...

Think i get it, gonna try it!

Post the vid of it quick tho, so i can see it...

G'wan, purleeeeeeaaaaase!

fckinippystranger
30 posts

Posted:
Oh, & on the subject of length, i have been (semi)reliably informed that a rope dart should hang from a straight-out arm to just above the floor & from one hand to the other straight out staright-out armed hand.

Apparently.

I got a couple & none of em are exactly that length, my practise one is a little shorter, my fire one (or "The Beast" as i call it) is quite a bit longer & is generally wrapped around my left hand.

I like to play with the length for different tricks/effects, for example one of my favourite wierd-looking fings is to wrap a couple of times around my left (anchor point), have my right hand half way along the rope & isolate the spin so it looks llike the rope is a solid staff - ever-so-slightly-nicked from Donnie Yen's wet bedsheet spinning from Once Upon A Time In China um, 2 i think - it feels good to do & boxes peoples heads if you do it right esp if you transition smoothly from regular spinning...

Anyone familiar with "Shaolin - Wheel of Life"?

If you *have* seen the vid (or the live show - Jealous!!!) -

Can i get a HELL YEAH!?!?!?

Was what inspired me to make my sanchaku (3-section-staff) Damn, i havn't played with that for waaaay too long - it's still hiding in the depths of the Pook orifice post move mayhem, damnit...

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Went to see the wheel of life when they first started in the UK about 4 years back they were sweet. Proper technique and strength. Real Kung Fu.

Went to see the monks in their new show "Kung Fu Masters" last week and was severly underwhelmed. They appear to be fielding their 'B' Team. They are all really young and while they are physically very fit and well trained a lot of their Kung Fu was empty. frown

Was more WuShu the Kung Fu

Still had some good bits though, there was some chin whip and double chain whip which is pretty much like poi.
No rope dart though, and the guy doing the 3 section staff might as well have been using two short sticks as he didnt use the centre section at all.

I say bring back the old Masters and the show will be infinitely better!

End Rant

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Mwahahahahaha

Did absoultly no work today and got some more vids sorted.
Yay me

Just in time for you guys to practice over the weekend

Check here
https://www.immortalninja.com/HOP/RD/RopeDart.htm

The page is a bit simple but didnt have time to make it pretty.
Maybe Monday, I'm sure work doesnt mind biggrin

On some of them it might be better to crank the brightness up a bit to make the rope a little more visable.

Let me know what you think
I need pats on head wink

Enjoy
KK

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
*pats head*
pro skillz mate wink

yer who needs work, the greater good of rope dart is at stake.

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
I went to see the wheel of life too, I could go on about how cool some of the stuff was. cheers for the rope dart site too mr ninja, sure will come in handy at some point in the future when i decide to get a rope dart...

Sinner you know of the hastings poi peeps right, Aimmee and the gang? might see you around at some point..

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
Hey colin, yer i poi with them; that would be awesome to see u.i was told that i was the only one to really try out rope dart down there, so it would be cool to do it would someone else biggrin

Merlynsfiremember
13 posts

Posted:
Hi there,
I was interested in trying the rope dart for ages and found ImmortalNinja's other post and link to vids. I have been playing a bit for about three days now and have more or less got the ones he shows (having trouble with the left foot kick from behind forwards and not coming cleanly off the foot on some) but mainly there. I really like the idea of this on fire too as well as awsome martial arts weapon. I NEED more moves though, anyone know of where there is more vid or explanation on line for free anywhere?
Thanks again to ImmortalNinja coz the vids he's put up make it very easy to try this and get the basic idea, the ones with the overlaided pen work were very easy to follow. I have however still managed to crack my head well trying the neck wraps (double and a little slow exiting for those who want the details ) and one compleatly random 'bounce' into the face (temp losened two teeth, opps and oww). I intend to keep on for now though and lets face it whatever you learn and especialy when you do it with fire there is always a certain amount of pain in learning and making valuble mistakes. All I can sugest is to try slowly at first to make them less painful and easier to duck out of. Hope everyone else is enjoying it and knows of more resorses!.

I'm just south of Bristol, does anyone come form round here whose playing with rope dart?

I'd rather go Poi with myself!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I have a very old, very spectacular video of a guy in China doing ropedart for a competition. I don't believe it's hosted on the net anymore, so if someone has an email address they'd like to share, I'll send it to them and they could host it for everyone else. wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
lol seen it, its very 70's biggrin

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
zhong_qiyin-rope_dart.mpg ?

with a white shirt and yellow pants and garbly old ethnic chinese music in the background?

wink

Best rope dart vid I've seen. *skips off to learn more.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
ok no, this was in some competition, but it was fun and quite cool too biggrin

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the one i got is from a chinese competition as well, placed second.

Maybe your guy placed first? ubblol

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Recently there were three similar videos. One was a rope dart performed by Li Jinheng, the other was the one mentioned above, and the final was a so called meteorball video (Shorter rope, larger weight)

Check this out:

https://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/miscellaneous/library/flexible

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
just came up with a new kick

Over The Head, Behind The Back Kick

Start spinning the rope Anticlockwise in your right hand, and shoot it out to your right, as it goes out, pass the rope over your head, and pull the dart back in so it swings behind you, then switch it infront of you, so its now swinging clockwise then stick your thigh in the path and kick backwards, and it should shoot behind you

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
you ropedarters still alive? i've finally fixed my ropedart, got me some nice heavy duty climbing rope biggrin so come on people i want more input from you slackers tongue:p:p ubblol ubblol ubblol

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
my new ropedart is a complete success, its more like a long fist rather than a ropedart, but the principal is the same, nice and weighty, already taken my knee out with it biggrin just need to get some videos out now biggrin

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Cool.
Been hope you all had a great new years and stuff.
Just got back from Hong Kong with loads of Martial arts supplies.
One of which is a Meteor-esq rope darty thing too!
Not as pointy as my rope dart but still gives dead legs like no tomorrow.
Just need to go pick up some more climbing rope now...
KK

Hydra_LordGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, thanks for all the info... I'll tell ya, as soon as I got stuck learning things on my own all I had to do was type in "Rope Dark" Tricks on google and there you all were!

Thanks for the thread, and thanks ImmoralNinja for the video's!

Page: