Forums > Meet Others > 90 Mile beach hike, fire stops on the path?

Login/Join to Participate

halterGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
So in about 3 weeks Ill be heading over to NZ for an extended vacation and self enlightening voyage. I have few plans during the 3 months, however I’ve been contemplating trying to walk the 90 mile beach that I’ve heard about.

Any recommendations for this? I see that there are these DOC Huts that are scattered about my travels. Are the beaches safe for sleeping on (I’ve seen nothing stating either way).

Last and most importantly, what are the odds of me finding a few other fire heads on that walk, and if so where might the X on the map say to look during the evening? I love enjoying my hobbies with others.

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... not sure, i looked at the campsites but never actually made it up, not sure how common it is to walk... all the toursits drive or bus,
dunno how many people you'll meet, they'll prob be a few... spinners apear out of no where but i wouldnt think its that likely you'll find them there.... but you never know
it wont be summer so will prob be quiter than normal....

good luck
have the best time
re slepping on the beaches - not sure, prob not done much.... def check the tides etc and stay safe...

good luck again
hugs

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Beaches safe for sleeping on?
Well, there are no dangerous animals/snakes/dingos etc in NZ that would make it dangerous.. and nasty humans are completely unpredictable... could be in the city, could be somewhere remote. Overall though as Lemming says, things like tides and cold are likely to be more of a problem than peeps...
For the record, we were hitching near Cape Reinga (this is a few years ago) and got picked up in a huge burble car by a bunch of Black Power gang dudes. There was no-one else around and we felt definitely nervous cos that gang was notorious for stabbings and other nasties in Auckland. We ended up going to a beach bbq with them and their cuzzie-bros and had a ball!
NZ is great. People were great. Scenery was great
Enjoy!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

halterGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
Ya the tides is my biggest concern, there is no such thing for a few thousand miles from where I live. The cold is no problem.

Getting stabbed would suck but thats a risk taken every day in a city and life.

Ill watch my back, though Im a hard a$$ my self

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
well, BP aint no oen to mess with, but they can be really good censored too. dont expect 90 mile beach to be 90 mile either, it aint. but i ges you here by now so it dont matter. if you get down to christchurch way give me a holler, PM me or something. i got a few litres of kero that need to be burnt.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.