Forums > Social Discussion > what if god was one of us?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
ok so listening to a song by alanis morrisette i really started to wonder what people would actually think.
if you could see god would you want to?
whatever you would prefer (to see or not to), why would you prefer it that way?

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
i'd prefer not to..because seeing god would involve an embodiment of some kind, and i cant think of a form that i would appreciate god taking (other than maybe a tree).

it'd be like a really bad film adaptation of your favourite book.

i'm not particularly religious but i do believe in some kind of higher power..whether it is a god or a plan i'm not too sure.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
No- ignorance is bliss. Its often happened that someone would tell me about something that could happen and then it would happen to me for the first time shortly after they told me. Psycosemmatics.I strive to be as ignorant as possible.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

2,443 posts

Posted:
i think i wouldnt like to as i dont want to beleive in god as many horrible things have happened in my life over the years. if i had to see him/her/thing i'd have to go for it with rage.
dont know if anyone else is the same though.
is there anyone who would love to see god. i wonder.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I believe in God,but don't protest it too often. Many bad things have happened in my life that have caused much anger towards God,health wize,situation wize,death wize,pain wize etc. But there are also a lot of good things and I count myself lucky... I just wouldnt want to see something that causes so much conflict within myself and all those around me.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

2,443 posts

Posted:
thats a really good point. nothing really bad has happened to me myself but to those i really truely love and care about around me. i suppose i want someone to blame and god is the only thing i really can blame.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
To see god, you would have to believe that god exists. Which I don't.

I would, however, love to see the base energy that connects us all reflected through everyone... shining, positive and displaying love for our fellow man.

For me, that would be like seeing a god.

Getting to the other side smile

2,443 posts

Posted:
cool.
i'm listening to the song now.
it brings up some fascinating things to think about

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ditto (firepoise)

energies and laylines are the higher power smile

i dont believe in god at all but if i ever did bump in to someone claiming to be - id ask him to put the kettle on, just like anyone else cool

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

2,443 posts

Posted:
smile

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Alanis Morrisette WAS God in Dogma. (Kevin Smith is a legend biggrin)

I dont believe in God but if I did I'd quite like him to be Steve Coogan, like in 24hr party people.

God: "...and you were right about Mick Hucknall. His music is rubbish and he's a ginger."
biggrin

2,443 posts

Posted:
lol.
god is a funny character i hate the idea of seeing him but i would like to aswell just because i'm a curious person

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
weird al rocks smile

AkashlaBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
Ive never heard the Alanis Morisette version, ive only listened to Joan Osbourne, and the weird al yankovich "what if god smoked canabis" version.

Oh man, if i could see god? I dont know, i dont think i would.
It would take all the mystery out of it, it would cut short all those long discussions with no real conclusions, and i think i'd be dead within the week.

If i could say without a doubt that god is a man, with a slightly protruding belly, and a funny smell, or something equally real then, i think all the religious fanatics would hunt me down and seperate my insides from my outsides...

Yeah, id rather not know, and keep wondering...

I am not a bitch.
I am THE bitch.
And Im Miss Bitch to you.

2,443 posts

Posted:
cool!!!!
i think it would be interesting if i could but at the same end i'd be scared as well after thinking about it.
i'd be going to hell.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
We see God all the time every day in every direction even when we close our eyes we just dont recognise it cos we're too busy labelling and judging and all that other mental business.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
no, no silly.

I am god.... yes, its me.

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
What newgabe said.

If you wanna see god, look in the mirror. Look at a stranger. Look a friend... We are all god...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
The original Joan Osborne version is the best hands down.

Infact the whole album Relish is good

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

2,443 posts

Posted:
i havent heard that version.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i dont specifically beleive in god but id say you see it alround you if you want to

all of this universe is god - our creator and ulitmatly our destroyer

back

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
If I did see him, I'd point out the stupidity inherent in almost everything he's done wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

AkashlaBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
But inherent stupidity is what keeps us amused.

PS: I like your sig. Druss kicks monumental ass...

I am not a bitch.
I am THE bitch.
And Im Miss Bitch to you.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Oooh yeah! He rocks. David Gemmel is King wink

But it's also what keeps us annoyed. Like cars which are *designed* to have roofracks cost more to get them (roofracks) fitted than ones where they weren't designed for them. Makes no sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I have a very strange beliefe in god, while I beleive completly in the big bang and a complete scientific view on how the universe was screated, I dont dare ever say outloud I dont beleive in god or bad mouth him, Ide also never do or say anything 'bad' in a church be it just saying a swear word or anything blashpemus, infact Ide never say anything blashphemouse out of a church never mind in one. Oh and to make things more confuseing for myself I dont really see jesus as something thats important or that happend, just god really even tho i was raised as a catholic, I guess I'll figure it out someday (I hope lol)

Anyway If someone gave me the oppertunity to see god I would decline because I heard somewhere if you look upon the face of god you will die, and I also heard somewhere that god is supposed to have said without faith I am nothing (or something along those lines) so if he shows himself he will distroy himself otr something, so I think thats why he dosent really show himself himself or give us real proof

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
If I give you proof of my existence then I will cease to exist, thereby meaning that the proof that I gave you cannot exist, therefore I still exist.

Interesting logic trap. I think Terry Pratchett comes closest to what I would believe if I did believe in God. God(s) need belief to survive, and as the belief fades, so do their powers. Makes sense to me... ubbrollsmile

Ramanewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Interesting topic...with no right answer! My favorite. I love it when people just share whatever their experience is or view points are....and when your not attached to being right or wrong, its simply fun!
I think the problem is all in the wording......the word god has so many negative or positive feelings around it. Myself, I use different words depending on who I am talking with: god, the divine, Self, Spirit, "That", Eternal Peace, Joy, the Source, the unbounded, the infinite.....the silent gap inbetween thoughts.....the peak experience while jogging, dancing, painting, music, making love. The thing about these concepts is that they all imply a limit of some sort, when "It" has no limits of anykind. Its true essence is absolute silence, stillness, never-ending bliss, pure conscious awareness...which is in fact our true nature.
I don't know about seeing god, but I do know that it is possible to experience that Presence...in a very alive, real, day-to-day way. Not as a belief or hope or even as a mystical thing....but here and now. Soon (well, hopefully) we all will see that we can never know god by outside sources (books, tapes, people....) and will begin to look inside, inside our own Hearts. For in truth, where our heart is that is where God dwells also. And then from there, wherever you cast your eye, Heaven is what you will see.
Well, thats my 2.5 cents worth!
Endless peace to you all.......

"The only way to structure perfection on the outside is to know perfection on the inside" - MSI

2,443 posts

Posted:
i dont like to follow anything said in the bible as its all been changed for a start of the greek word for community got changed to church to help out christians so when jesus says to peter i want you to build my church he actually said community meaning he wanmted the jewish faith to grow as he was a rabai he didnt want to start a new religion. theres many faults also geological faults and so on. also jesus wasnt called jesus he was called jeshua meaning (jesse son of joseph).
theres lots of critical errors in all bibles today as they've been changed by different denominations and by different men writing them. with god if you beleive trust your instincts rather than a man made book. i have more respect for the qu'ran that i do for the bible as its never changed, never been translated fully so (english version may seem slightly strange) and it was all from one man who claimed to learn it all from god. seems a bit more logical but i still dont think i'd want to see him.(god)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
offtopic On the subject of the bible...

There's also 13 chapters in hebrew (the dead sea scrolls or 'gnostic scriptures') of which 6 were burnt (the guy who found them was cold and didnt quite understand the importance of the leather bound books that he had unearched) that are mostly ignored by major religious groups.

Apparently there are around 80 scripts written on papyrus scrolls that were found in caves near the red sea in the 80s that are currently being translated but no-one knows what language they are written in. (I'm not sure about the facts here though - information is scarce and often kept quiet by major religious organisations).

Organised religion is a dangerous thing. With enough power you can make history be anything you want it to be.
EDITED_BY: Seye (1122721969)

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Could I kick him in the nuts?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

2,443 posts

Posted:
gladly i want to strangle him!

Page: