Page:
tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
If you're in a good, happy mood, read another post. This is nothing but one long whinge. If you live in dump, read on, this will make you realize its not that bad...I'm not normally a whiner, but sometimes it helps to get it out of your system.Here goes...

Whats happened to my country? It used to be a great place, with shiny
happy people everywhere who were pleased to be alive. Now, everybody runs
around moping and whining, and with good reason.

A while ago, there was a thread about Zimbabwe somewhere here, and I did my
best to correct some of the rumours. Sadly, I must now report that they are all
true, even the ones I haven't heard. There is no fuel, even though the govt has just
tripled the price to $10 000. ( That’s about 25p, the black market rate being 40 000
dollars to one pound). No fuel means very few cars on the road, so nobody can
get to work except by walking. For some people, this means getting up at three
in the morning and walking for five or six hours before getting to work late. The reverse
happens at five, with the poor bugger getting home at about ten, absolutely
knackered. A quick rest, then Tuesday rolls around and the process begins again.

Eight years ago, or thereabouts, I purchased
my first car( a small, cheap Datsun ) for $17 000 Zimbabwe dollars. Today,
that same car will cost me roughly $20 000 000. A box of matches costs
$1 000 ( The same value as our biggest note, incidentally. ) Minimum wage,
which, by the way, is completely unlivable on, is somewhere around $800 000.
This is just enough money to do sweet [censored]-all with. $800 000 is roughly 20
quid. I've just finished eating a toasted chicken and mayo sandwich, which set
me back 30 grand. Do the maths - A guy on minimum wage can get nearly 27
sandwiches in a month. Fine for February, only one day with nothing to eat,
but what about months with 31 days, or leap years. I don't know what the
official inflation figures are, nor does it matter, because they are invariably wrong,
but it is fairly unusual to buy something twice for the same price. It is better to buy
absolutely anything and hold onto it for resale, than to sit with cash that devalues
by the day.

Because prices are so high, and the biggest note is only $1 000, the govt, in its
boundless wisdom, introduced bearer cheques, the highest value of which is $ 20 000.
This helped the situation a little, but now they are trying to phase the BC out of
use, which means we will go back to using the $ 1000 note. An average grocery bill
for a weeks food is about $1 000 000. In $1000 notes, this is a 1000 notes, and if
you get them brand-new, so they aren't all wrinkled, thereby taking up more room,
it is about the size of two housebricks. It takes about 15 minutes to count, longer than
it takes to do the actual shopping. I have been shopping ( several times ) with an 80 litre
backpack (for those who don't hike, that’s the big one that goes above your head and
below your bum) full of cash. It's a strange feeling, wandering through town with a
backpack full of cash, knowing that if someone robs you, its for the pack, not the
cash. My safe is full of cash, and the safe is worth more than the contents.

The shelves in the shops are getting emptier and emptier, due to the shortage of
foreign currency. It's a truly depressing experience to go into the Tesco's
equivalent and just see empty shelves. A while ago, the country ran out of beer, which
was nearly the last straw for me. For weeks we were dry, something I hope never
to experience again. Coke has just come back on the shelves, production stopped
because the country ran out of sugar. No big deal, unless you like sugar in your tea,
porridge, cakes, soft drinks, etc…

Then, when things were grim and the people were depressed, the govt pulled another
gem out of its seemingly bottomless hat. Operation Clean-up, as it was called, was a
nationwide attack on all unregistered dwellings and businesses. It involved destroying
all such buildings, and fining those involved. All very good on paper. The problems come into
it when you consider that roughly a fifth of Harare's population resided or traded out of
these buildings. Bang, and they were homeless, without a form of income, and just
generally screwed. No warning was given, the police and army moved in with bulldozers
and matches, tore down the buildings and burnt what was left. For about a week, the
air above the city was black with the smoke of people's houses and hopes. Where I sit
now I can see what is left of Mbare. This used to be a thriving informal market, where
you get anything from kiwi fruit to your car radio that was stolen the week before. It covered
an area about the size of ten football fields, and was home to tons of people. Now, it
looks like a war-torn plain.

Lets move onto food. There is none due the agrarian reforms that have taken place over the
last few years. That’s an old issue and I won't go into it, other than to say it is still going on.
About five farmers a month are harrassed off their land with no compensation, no choice,
and nowher to go. News coverage has stopped because its old hat, people are bored with
the whole issue now. Back to food - people are starving in the rural areas, Mugabe, with his
firm grasp of the situation, has denied this and refused aid, which will be reassuring to those
who are starving to death. STARVING TO DEATH. IN THIS DAY AND AGE???

That’s all the gloom I have the heart to relate. I am one of the lucky few here. I have a job,
(unemployment hovers somewhere around 70 % ) decent money, a house, and I've just had a
sandwich.

P.S.
Reading over this makes me wonder why the hell any of us stay. There's one easy answer.
It's home.

Don't worry, be happy...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Steadily imploding country. Are you safe??

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

hug2

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
frown ubbcrying frown

I'm so terribly sorry for what you and the rest of Zimbabwe is suffering under Robert Mugabe...

It's so clear that he must be removed from office... but the US and UK are too busy chasing oil and Olympic bids. What about the other African countries? Have they spoken out yet?

Is there anything we can do as a HoP community? Can I post you anything? (Sorry it's such a small gesture, but I feel powerless to help).

Yeush. Anything I say is going to sound hollow and meaningless... but I'm thinking about you and hoping things improve soon. hug

He's in his 80s, he must die soon.

Take care and be strong... better times will come
Clare x

Getting to the other side smile

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Thanks all,

Yip, we are safe. Was going to say as safe as houses, but...

Thanks Firepoise, lovely gesture. The postal service here will nick anything of value that they can lay their greedy mits on. I have to have my poi sent to a mate in South Africas and collect them from him...

Hey Wombatty, long time no see. At the rate this place is self-destructing might be living down the road from you soon...

Don't worry, be happy...

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Oh, one more thing. No fuel = no parrafin = no fire

Don't worry, be happy...

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Oh, one more thing. No fuel = no parrafin = no fire

Didn't answer your question... The other Africancountries, SA in particular, have incredibly thrown their support behind bob, by declaring the elections free and fair.
Go figure.

Don't worry, be happy...

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
Disgusting...leave it to the wealthy to decide that all is well with the lower class....I am very sorry for you and your countrymen...

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Erm, well I can't really say much without sounding trite and unhelpful, so I'll settle for saying that you have my deepest sympathies for everything thats happening in your country.

What you've said really (yes, really) made me look at my life and see how many things I take for granted. And the next time something bad happens to me, then I will steadfastly ignore it and remember that it could be much worse.

I hope you're surviving well, and again, deepest symapthies.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
So sad so true! Hearing it from you.. (Tadpole is my brother...seriously) Hearing it from him made me think how bad things are.Everyone bitches and moans but Tadpole... is not the kinda guy to go on, that's why when i read this it hit home. Is zim really that bad now? There always been stories but i was living there then and didn't find them much of an issue but now... i'm not so sure. I'm in Uk now and have been for 5months, when i left home a box of smokes was $4,800. I hear now they $20,000. I'm going home in December for Christmas and can't wait to get there and see my family and all my mates. So until then, keep smiling be happy..life goes on!!
Believe.
XOX
While i'm here .. missing u tadpole!

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
jesus there's some real bad stuff going on in other countries. and of course dubya isnt gonna help. hes just gonna continue his little war on terrorism and let the rest of the world suffer.

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
i would also like to help get the word out and let people know whats happening. even if the electoral college is bullshit alot of rioting punks will help make a difference.

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermm. I dunno.

Look at Gleneagles... rioters only steal the spotlight from the main issue and make it difficult for the government to support the cause.

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Tadpole, if you need anything, let me know. Can people send things to your friend in SA and you pick them up?

Do we sleep when we die?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I just had a letter from some musicians/instrument makers in Zim about their whole community being made homeless in the 'cleanup'. They were already living 20 people in a house....

Again, to repeat:any support that we can give from here, or a place to land if you decide to leave: it's yours....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Look me up if you come over again Tadpole. I will sponser you heaps of parrafin to make up for lost time. Your spinning will be even more amazing is my guess.

The plight of the poor buggers having thir homes dozed is really shite. Like how will it make anything better.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Many thanks all, much appreciated...

Thanks for the offers of aid, as I said, I'm one of the lucky half a percent who isn't suffering as the masses are, so the deep freeze has supplies for ages.Again, ta.

The govt theory behind all the destruction is to restore order to the country. Quite how removing somebody's house and form of income encourages order is anyone's guess. An increase in crime is the most likely result, cos now the poor guy has nothing left to lose.

It has also kicked off another wave of people leaving, although the general attitude seems to be that it can't possibly continue on its current downward spiral for too much longer without imploding. Mind you, I can clearly remember hearing that every month for the last four years, so who knows...???

Off topic - Hey Lau, how's things. Looking forward to October, much partying to be performed...

Don't worry, be happy...

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
it it true that the elections are rigged? I've heard that he has his 'thugs' at the voting booths to make sure people vote for him. My husband has just been telling me some things that he knows about, like that great cricket player who had to leave the country due to speaking out.

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
Hi there!
Just wanted to say thanks for all those who made offers towards tadpole! That really meant alot! And yes the elections are rigged, blatently! All ZanuPF(Mugabes' Party) has there voting booths right in the center of town...easy access u see. MDC(Morgans' Party) his voting booths are put out in the middle of nowhere so locals can't get to them. Let alone the fact ZanuPF monitor the doors to MDC voting booths.

Bud- Heaps of partying for always! Just put on turbo when u here!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Speaking of which:

UN calls for neighbours to 'speak out'
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4659255.stm

Asmajolnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Tadpole I can offer you a Cyber hug! ((((((HUUUUUUUUUUGS))))))))

You sound like quite a trooper and i do hope you can keep your spirits up.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Cool, another exciting development...
Starting today, the police are visiting every house in the country to check whether or not all the structures on the property are licensed. This means that if you built a garden shed 20 years ago to keep things in, they can come running on to your property with bulldozers and tear it down. If you decided to build an extra room on to your house, god help you, you will be left with a gaping hole in your wall where your lounge used to be...

Eagerly awaiting the next exciting episode...

Don't worry, be happy...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Didn't a similar thing happen quite a while ago in Chile, with General Augusto Pinochet?

He was arrested for various crimes against humanity...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

tobblenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
all is not well it seems. I've spoken to a few Zim people and know one or two quite well and they all appear to be in a similar state of grievance. They all do appear to have an unattainable "joie de vivre" though so I'm sure you're a happy person tadpole. I can try send you beer if you want!

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Wow, I just read this again for some reason and had to pack out laughing. When I wrote this three months ago, fuel was $10 000 a litre. It's now $100 000! The exchange rate lurks at around $130 000 to the pound...
How things change!

Don't worry, be happy...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Thanks for sharing.

I often try to read about how others are and aren't living but hearing it first hand is always a bit more personal.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
:hugs:

Im so sorry, this really makes me look at my own life, and others around me who dont apreciate what they have living here in the uk and want to slap them round the face, and tell them to wake up..

*wants to help somehow.

passing through, this world still lives.

RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
redface certainly makes all my worries disappear after reading about ZIM, was news here a while back with white settlers being removed but don't hear much these days. As an Australian, I have nothing to complain about and can not imagine living in a country where you can litterally starve to death, hopefully the place you call home is late in it's 11th hour and things will change, thankyou for taking the time to educate a very lucky person indeed
thankx and importantly, I do hope you are safe.

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
hug

everyone's unique except me

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
hug Hey tadpole. (how are you? Except for what was written above)

It's so silly the divide in countries wealth. I wish our govt's would wake up to the situations and help each other.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Page: