Forums > Help! > Another home internet question!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
My computer knowledge is alright but i start to balls it up when it comes to networking and the likes so all you computer geeks out there come to my aid!

Ive just come home from uni and am experiencing the sadness of going from a high speed net connection back to dial up frown and after speaking to my step dad hes agreed that if i sort it out for him (cos he doesnt know anything about it) he'll get it, so the dilemna is this the only condition for him getting the broadband for the house is if every can use it, this is because ive had braoadband a year ago just in my room (which i paid for). so this time we are gonna do the whole house which means my mums desktop computer downstairs and my laptop and my dads laptop, now i have access to a phone socket in my rookm so could go through there and he can plug his downstairs

so the question im asking whats the best way to kinda erm, not network the whole hosue cos i dont want our computers connected since my mum ahs a habit of collecting viruses, but still if we cna all connect the same way, i was thinking about connecting a wireless hub downstairs and just having my mums computer my dads and my laptop set up for it that way the computers arent connected to it but we can all access the net at the same time, am i right? im not sure, any help would be great smile

thanks

hug

EDITED_BY: PyroWill (1119637525)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Missed a post, edited the post above a bit, then missed another one wink

I bought my own modem, and eclipse were fine with this, you don't need to use their equipment.

I may or may not be up in the morning, I don't have a sleep pattern at all at the moment. biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i haven't read the whole thread smile

In a nutshell, the best setup I think is getting a wireless access point with built in adsl/cable (delete as appropriate) modem. Then place it next to any devices that can't take a wireless card, and give the other machines wireless. Any computers next to each other connect with a cable, and have some spare cables floating around for when you need to transfer lots of data. Currently at my home I've got a wireless router that cost about 55 quid connected by cable to my playstation2 and a home theatre pc that I couldn't be arsed to try and setup a wireless card for in linux. In the other room I've another PC connected by a 15 quid 802g card, then a couple of laptops floating around with b and g cards. If i ever need to copy anything big i use cables, but i'm currently considering having my 2 main computers automatically sync their data over wireless when i'm not using it. If it was my appartment i'd run gigabit cables through the walls, but as I'm renting wireless is very much preferable.

Go for as fast adsl as money can buy, with as much bandwidth as you can get. I was in Holland over the weekend, where 4-8mbs is normal. I'm going for 8mbs when it's available in a couple of months

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ah i see, so i can wirelss my laptop using the router and everything but say if the conneciton is a bit crappy i can just connect is to the router directly using a cat 5 ethernet cable yeh and that will give me full speed right?

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes.
smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ah i see thank you, and Jon your random comments have also been helpful I would hug your brain if it wasnt you know, in your skull
hug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
its just the fact that the others would have a better clue as to reliable info to give you, but I like to try and be helpful when I can..

ubbangel

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Basically, wireless is convient for surfing the web, sending email etc, sending small files. But, 54mbs wireless lan (802.11g) probably won't let you transfer a large file much faster than 11mbs wireless lan (802.11b). Cables are needed for those once in a while big transfers, which could be once a week or once a year. The other alternative is to just leave things (like movies) copying overnight by wireless.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
or just connect it directly to the router yeh? via an ethernet cable? taht would speed it up yar?

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
what would boost the signal through thick walls is that the difference between 54mbs and 108mbs router? im getting it in the morning online most likely, im thinking of the Netgear DG834G 54mps one off amazon since it comes witha free usb wireless too.

I have decided to go with eclipse too the flex 500

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
A better antenna is the best way to increase range. The higher speeds may have the same problems with walls. I've even had 54g in one room that wouldn't go above 12Mb/s, so it can depend on other factors like interference, the bus speed, or the processing power of the computer.

You shouldn't have to worry. I set up a network in a big farmouse with solid walls, and it managed reasonable speeds.

108 is more of a marketing gimik than reality. At that speed a lot more depends on the computer it's plugged into. PCI is only capable of 133MB/s (another theoretical maximum, 80MB/s is more likely), shared between all the hardware plugged into the PCI bus, so if you're reading data off the disk, then sending it over network the transfer speed can be quite low, as the bus also has to control the hardware, as well as sending data, so there isn't as much as you'd expect available.

You'd really only see better perfomance from a computer with a server motherboard, as they have a better designed bus architecture.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ah ha i get it .... i wanna make it clear i dont intend on file transfers between the computers, literally each computer is gonna just use it for browsing and downloading so would you say i might aswell just go for the 58

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
You could even get away with 11Mb/s for just internet use, it's still twenty something times faster than the internet.

Still it's best to go with 54 as it has better security, that isn't available on a lot of 11Mb/s stuff. Also it's a good idea to have the potential to do more in future, although perhaps I take that a little too far wink

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
thanks for recommending eclipse to me, im currently ons tep 8 out of 9 in the order process

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ok everything is set up and it works great on my Mums and mine computer however on my step dads computer there are still problems

Basically his computer is running Windows 98, the hardware (wireless pcmcia card) is installed fine and communicates with the router, however when opening internet explorer it jsut straight away goes straight to 'page cannot be displayed' im notsure the best way to explain it, basically the connection is there i believe just the web browser doesnt seem to want to go through the wireless card or router to get the net, its like its waiting for a dial up to be installed or something, any ideas on the whole windows 98 thingy?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
You'll need to tell IE to use LAN for it's internet connection, the settings are burried somewhere under tools / internet options / connections I think (I've disabled IE and only use Firefox now). By default it'll try and dial up, as that's what was most common with W98, LAN and routers being newer. Using W98 with W2k or XP can be really difficult, as it's bad security means that it's blocked from using some network things. I've put one W2k system into a W98 network, and it locked the network down so tight it was the only system that would work. The only way to fix it was to reduce the security settings on the W2k box.

You can run XP on anything from a pentium 120 with 64Mb and up, although it can be pretty slow if you try and run anti virus, and don't go through all the windows services and shut down the ones that aren't vital (everything is turned on by default in XP, so a lot of memory is wasted). The biggest problem upgrading old machines to XP is the amount of hard disk space needed. 5Gb with all the service packs, a reasonable swap space and the hibernation feature turned on (assuming 256Mb memory).

Page: