Forums > Social Discussion > Online Courses for American Teachers: Get a pay raise by posting...

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OH MY GOSH, I'M SO EXCITED!

The way it works in the US is that teachers can get small but permanent pay raises if they take classes beyond their masters degree. I've tried to take a few of these classes and they usually entail sitting in a room for 8 hours a day on a Saturday and Sunday (for 5 weeks!)... but I've just started an online course and am totally surprised to see that it's pretty much a HoP looking forum for teachers. My first 'assignment' is to make an introduction. biggrin

I know I'll have to write a few papers and reflections but it looks EASY and actually useful!

So if any of y'all are teachers in the US and want to pick up some cheap, easyish grad credits check out www.teachereducation.com

Hrmm.. this sounds like an advert. I know nothing of the courses yet and they might suck. But I'm just excited to be getting pay raises to post.

I knew all these years posting on HoP would come in handy. ubblol

I'm off to write my intro thread. ubbangel

[I will not get dragged into any arguements. I will not get dragged into any arguements. I will NOT get dragged into any arguements... ubbangel ]

I did just want any other teachers to know about this. And if you're going to take a class, let me know. Maybe we can take one together. bounce

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
No way, that sounds great NYC,

Far better than actually going to class anyhow.

Good luck with it all.

So what do you teach?

m
EDITED_BY: Pele (1116952939)

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
who's *name removed by Pele at the request of name owner*?
EDITED_BY: Pele (1116952991)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey NYC, let me know how it goes, I would be really interested. I am currently studying a Graduate Diploma in e-learning, basically trying to figure out all the things that make or break these kinds of online courses. We are beginning by looking at models of how people learn, and therefore understanding whether the teaching models used will create rich learning environments for the student.

I am especially interested in the forums side right now *lapse into technical speak*. We are looking into Situated Cognitive Apprenticeships, and discussing the model of Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Basically what that means is that people learn within communities by a mixture of observing and participating, and that their initial participation will often be small tasks (eg. writing an intro thread) and slowly moving up to a fully fledged member.

I am exploring the side that looks at when these cognitive apprenticeships don't work. And I think a lot of it comes down to participation on the community side. Where there are no assigned tasks, or the initial tasks are not clear (eg. no instruction to write an intro thread), and where there is minimal community participation to base observations on how you should interact, (ie. no one is posting anything on the boards), the apprenticeship falls down.

I have been on HoP for years and been completely spoilt by it, because of the high levels of participation, the good moderation, and the strong community. I found that on other boards I have looked at for my studies, these things are not present.

hug

Basically, let me know how it goes, and send me a PM.
EDITED_BY: Rozi (1116372486)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Um... yes... we don't say my real name so my High School Chemistry kids don't stalk me. An edit would be appreciated Mr. Sphereculism as well as Mr. Flidmeister.

But the real question is...
Who's Rozi?

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Whoever you want me to be, sweety wink nana
EDITED_BY: Rozi (1116969467)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
hey nyc, i never knew your name was phil. cool smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, I want to be a teacher more and more...

You work 8 hours a day, get nights and weekends free, get GOBS of vacation, amazing benefits, tenure, and you can work with kids all day.

It's reallllllly tempting...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Um... I know people think it's all funny and stuff... but if a day comes when one of my students happens to be in my classroom and I've accidentally left HoP up... and they see my name on a post.

Best case scenario:
I will never be on HoP again.

Worst case scenario:
They light something on fire and use me on HoP as an excuse.

Can EVERYONE please get my name off this thread?!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Wow, wish we had stuff like that over here. Sounds really helpful.

Completely understand where you're coming from on the not letting pupils know you're name bit NYC. Much the same reason as me teaching 20 miles (it's far enough, night buses from out here to Edinburgh are a rare species!) from where I live. God forbid they ever found out what we're like in 'real life'! ubblol

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the report post button is handy in this situation mr. yc...

pressing it is not a bad thing - it just makes sure that if people don't come back and check this thread, your wishes are still carried out smile

cole. x

having thought about it though, although i completely respect your request, it seems like too little of a precaution...

if you left hop showing on a pc at work and one of the students sees it, it wouldn't take much to work out that you spin fire.

i'd say to one of your more observant students, a post like this would be pretty much all they need to work out that you are you - and if they weren't sure, the galleries could confirm it beyond doubt.

the first name thing just seems like an old precaution that would make very little difference nowdays - maybe as well as this basic name covering, some more active obfuscations might help too?

this is all nothing to with me i know, i'm just thinking out loud about what i would do in your situation - ignore me to whichever level is appropriate hug
EDITED_BY: coleman (1116944355)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That was plan B.

I just hate asking the overworked Mods for stuff.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC *wish granted*
It's what we are here for...ask away.

Let me know how this program works for you. I might have some interested parties as well.

Written by: Doc Lightning

You know, I want to be a teacher more and more...

You work 8 hours a day, get nights and weekends free, get GOBS of vacation, amazing benefits, tenure, and you can work with kids all day.

It's reallllllly tempting...

That is really funny. Nights and weekends free...except for the hours spent on planning, grading, going to advanced seminars, etc. Though I imagine there are not as many essays to pour through for the sciences as there was during my brief stint in high school english! lol

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think being a teacher would be absolute hell for 99.9% of the planet.

It's exhausting, infuriating, frustrating, and sometimes even abusive.

I love it and I think you'd love it too Mike. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hey, if you don't have to work 30-hour shifts where you don't get to sleep EVERY FOUR DAYS it can't be that bad...

Besides, NYC's exactly right. I'd love it. In fact, I do love it because I've done it before (admittedly on the college level).

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think Dr. Mike would make the cutest kindergarden teacher ever.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I think Dr. Mike would make the cutest kindergarden teacher ever.

biggrin

OMG that would be soooooo cute! I would even come out of teaching retirement to be there for that one!

Pele

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I can't imagine all of the women who would swoon over Dr. Mike with a room full of kids running around. Single mom's pushing folks out of the way to get their kids in his class.

A nice, well built, goodlooking Jewish doctor turned kindergarden teacher would be the ultimate CHICK MAGNET.

Ahhh... the irony. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
NYC, if I was going to teach, going by what I'm allowed to teach under No Child Left Behind (AKA No Child Learns Basics) I'd probably wind up teaching Biology, AP Biology (I do have a M.S. in Biological Sciences, after all) and health (well, duh...). I like working with adolescents, so high school would be the thing for me.

And NYC, you should see how women fall all over me once they find out I'm gay. It's quite amusing, but I love my girlfriends very much. They're trustworthy, they're fun, and we can sit at a table on the sidewalk and check out guys together.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
offtopic Gay guys make the best girlfriends.

Single moms, hell NYC, how's this one...can you picture Mike teaching high school health??? All the young girls would be dropping pencils to see him bend over and asking him to explain things, just one more time.

*twirling hair around finger*
"Ummmm...Doc Mike, sir. Like I am having such a problem understanding this whole guy-girl sex concept. Like, where are things supposed to go? If I come in after class would you be willing to tutor me?"
*batting eyelashes*

Oh yeah. I can see it.
Bust out the mop Mike, you'll have alot of drool to sop up. wink

Pele