pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey, me and a couple of mates have thought it a good idea to make some glo swords. somewhat like lightsabers, but not the ones you can buy from toy stores for $44.90 AUS then break if you have a real sword fight.

we want to design them for full contact, have them light up with LEDs (just one color, im not as high tech as u hyperlight)

im looking at using clear PVC pipe, hard to get hold of, but i can get it, with probably a high power LED on the inside.

the plan is to make 2 (or 3) then run down southbank one night having a glowing swordfight.

cheers, pete biggrin

ubbrollsmile ubblove ubbidea juggle hug bounce bounce2 there werent enough graemlins in this post

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
there are more expensive versions:
https://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/69de/
action shots here:
https://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/69de/action/

these are exactly what you are wanting to make i think.

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
*feels geeky*

yup, but cheeper, also, make a glow staff.

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
three is a better one if you do a search on hop, not licenced light sabers, but they are Uber awsome! smile

Step (el-nombrie)

Das NoleyGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
you should check out that neon stuff they make for cars that comes in ropes of 5-15 feet. you could string it from bottom to top, and have the battery for it inside the handle.

Oh, well if he was sleeping, than i would think he was me, because he is blue, and I like to sleep. but if he is dead, then it can't be me, because that would just be silly.
-- Caboose [Red vs Blue]

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
RUN A SEARCH... there is a much more developed thread. I made one a while ago, the details are there.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thanks, will start workin on it once i get money

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
If you've got metal working experience it wouldn't take much to build a pretty durable 'cage' that you could put the LED's and electronics in and would be strong enough for strikes.... the question is if you can bulid the electronics to hold up to the hits wink

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
no metal working experience whatsoever

KyleG4uSILVER Member
KyleG4u
68 posts

Posted:
You could use a series of mirrors and lenses in the hilt to project the light up into the "blade". Then you could use a clear solid rod with a curved end and the entire thing should light up if you use enough LED's in the hilt design. You could use some JB weld to hold the mirrors and lenses in place so you wouldn't need any actual welding experience. I don't know if they sell it outside of the US but what JB weld is is a chemical mixture that forms a type of superfix glue. Well, actually if you went from a transparent rod to an opaque rod that might work even better...

It's like when you can't remember something you get.... short term.... kidney failure, that's gotta be it, something wrong with your kidneys...
---------------------------------
Love Peace Chicken Grease, Live Laugh Love

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
I use a bunch of Flowlights and the tubing they sell. :3

This statement is false...?