Forums > Social Discussion > Feedback from audience vs. feedback from artists

Login/Join to Participate

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Imagine a model situation... You have a performance. You dance/spin/juggle/anything and after finishing your show you get a big applause. Then some people come to you, say "Hey, that was great with all the fire and stuff..", all ppl that don't understand a bit of spinning/juggling. But among them is someone who says "Hey I do too and I liked it very very much.". So the question was, which one of these two is more important to you?

We were basically two jugglers - me a poier and a diabolist, spinning only for our enjoyment. I didn't have any performances before, he had some performances but only to raise a bit cash sometimes - against a juggler/clown. We two argued for the artist feedback, arguing that we spin and juggle just for fun. A feedback from the audience is nice but for us it's better if someone appreciates our skills not just how it looks. For him the audience was more important and he really didn't seem to care much for artist appreciation. We could't really agree on anything in this so we dropped the subject. But I still wonder..

Can't it be that the initial contact with any juggling art shapes the need for feedback..? I for example have made first contact with poi on a party, borrowed them from a friend. Haven't seen any poi performances for over a year after I started spinning. The guy we were arguing with was an actor first, started juggling because he needed it for a play.

So I wonder, what is more important to you? Why?

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
All the opinions would mean just as much to me as the next no matter if it was a knowledgeable onlooker or not.

I guess though I would be a little bit m ore proud and impressed with myself that someone who knew what they were looking at and what you were doing made a compliment....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I apprieciate any comment, no matter who they are smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
depends on their skill level and if they have constructive critisim to offer. generally i know what i want to improve on and most ppl are to nice to say anything negative.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
In one respect, feedback from people that dont know what you're doing is good, because then you get an impression of what it looks like to an outsider. If you're performing lots, that's important.

On the other hand, though, feedback from an insider can help you put together a much more 'oooh' inspiring show. They can help you with things like your flow, a trick to put between others, variations on tricks etc etc. that too, is important.

Really, i guess that its a 50/50 kinda thing.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
erm...

interesting thread! Nice 1 White Raven

Feedback from both your audience and other performers are equally important, there will be many people in your audience who attend many fire functions and often some who have seen it in many other parts of the world.

To get an idea of where you are in comparison to other spinners is always an ego boost (*sigh*) however it also shows you that you're at least doing things right (or wrong)!

I (me, my opinion) prefer getting feedback from performers during practice sessions and informal get togethers... it gives you time to talk in detail and show each other what you're doing and stuff. At performances it's not always appropriate to actually discuss what you're doing whith a set of poi.

Audience feedback is important so you know how good/bad you look from a general joe soap point of view... does your performance dazzle the ignorant?

I find that it helps if you can practice in a dance studio with lotsa mirrors, or get video footage of yourself... it helps you to see yourself from the audience's perspective!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
Well, Its cool to get any kind of feedback from the audience. It is really pleasant to get compliments from any ppl, and noone will say - "No, i dont like it". But when someone skilled, especially more skilled then you are in , says that you were really good, and he/she liked it, it's very valuable. It means that you do your thing good.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I'd say that the biggest compliment was getting good feedback from the audience and the artist for the same show. It's difficult to please both, and some performers never find that balance smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
negative feedback also helps sometimes. people telling you how good you were is not likely to make you get better, but people saying 'you really blew that fountain' or 'you need to work on your hyperloops' will help you improve.

I always like being told i'm good, who doesnt, but being told that something needs work helps me improve on that, so more people tell me im better ubblol

*pricks head with needle, allows ego deflation*

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

negative feedback also helps sometimes. people telling you how good you were is not likely to make you get better, but people saying 'you really blew tha

Totally agree. Criticism is a very good thing to make one implrove his skills =)

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
this is why spinning with other people is very important...

remember to comment and recieve comment when you're spinning, it really helps, unless you're lucky enouf to get to see yourself doing your thing, you're not really going to get how it's actually looking. Unless you have the ability to close your eyes while you're doing it and picture it from 3rd person!

comments from ALL others as well as negative and positive are good (critisizms and overawe)! It's how YOU handle them that really determines weather it's constructive or not!

some people won't even talk with members of an audience... pure arrogance... silly but, coz there's alot you can learn from the ignorant... they look at these things from a totally different perspective!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I actually had my first fire performance ever last friday, after two years of spinning. Of course I liked the applause and stuff but as a free poier without any real need to perform I find it much more pleasing when I recieve a good comment from a fellow artist.

Most of you people here are performers as I see.. I would also like to see someone's opinnion who doesn't perform (much) coz I really wonder about that initial juggling contact opinnion shaping thing..: ) I personally think it's nice that noone really fancies audience over artists. Did you allways have this opinnion or did it change over time?

Stupid questions I know but it kinda bugs me..: )

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
As for me, i first learned to appreciate the other spinnres' comments.
Then, sure I started enjoying the audience =) And hell yeah, im a poser and I love the audience biggrin