gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
How dooo people, it's the annoying beginner here again!! Well I've sort of mastered the following:

3 bt weave
Mexican wave
Butterfly
BTB Butterfly
Alternate butterfly
Chasing the sun
low turn
high turn

but I'm stuck now......what shall I learn next?!?! I'm stook on linking them together properly too and feel a bit of a loser that I only know these moves after 6 months at I and can't even put a dance together! Could anyone point me in the right direction? Do you reckon I should get that poi moves book like? Need some mega inspiration...wish the Plymouth meet would happen soon....booooo, I generally feel a bit poo at the min so maybe I should just shut up..... frown Who invented men anyway frown

Sleep when yer dead!

Ted, Ted, I forgaat to have me breakfast, d' ya tink I moight doie?!!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
press

me

and

me

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'd get the book, it's full of tons of stuff to learn and lots of nice things allowing you to link stuff together smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
thats all i could do after six months anyway

theres still more moves on the site, 5bt weaves , and the behind the back stuff, then do all the butterfly moves in reverse.

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
So, if you're gonna be on the Hoe this weekend, I'll try and help out (not that I'm an expert or anything). Just try fitting things together and generally messing about, something will make itself clear to you! smile

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
For linking stuff I can recommend something bluecat taught us in a workshop (it may already be on HoP but typing it in will be quicker than durbsing wink ):

1. take a sheet of paper and a pen

2. write down between 5 and 15 moves you can do, 1 in each line... for you it would be 8

3. give them RANDOM numbers from 1-8

4. connect them in the order you RANDOMLY (don't give consecutive numbers to moves you can already connect, that's cheating!) gave them, trying to find a nice-looking and quick way to go from one into the other

5. try doing them all within a minute or faster if you can biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Yay!! Thanks for the help peeps, I'll try that list thing in a moe Birgit! thankx and maybe you can be the tester of viewing for me on Sunday Bird!! biggrin weavesmiley

Sleep when yer dead!

Ted, Ted, I forgaat to have me breakfast, d' ya tink I moight doie?!!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
can you do corkscrew or windmill?
tried them ALL in reverse? :P

if so a good way of linking is wraps (well i think so bc i love em *grin*

we've got a thread on newbie moves which will tell you how to move from weave > butterfly and back again [Old link] its also got a load of other random ideas and such - failing anything else just go out and throw your poi about - doing this i taught myself a 4-beat hyperloop smile

back

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey ditto on get the book the Michel Kahn one). It will teach you how to link the moves together. You definately need to learn a reverse weave as this will mean you can turn. You should also learn the most basic turn. Then, if you've got any time learn reels. If you can do the mexican wave this shouldn't be hard-reels are the mexican and low waves only the poi are going in the same direction-also like chasing the sun. GOOD LUCK!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Birgit, that's a great idea! Thanks. hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan