Forums > Other Toys > making your own fire sword

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
would it be possible for me to put kevlar rope onto a cheap samuri sword and pull off a cool fire sword effect? if so how do i go about attaching the rope to the sword?

im thinking this might not work for long term but i kinda want to make use of a single burn to see how awesome it looks lol

advise me against it if you must hug

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
I would think kevlar wicking would be easier to attach.. just screw it on to one side. Course, it would stay a fire toy then (or a holey sword) smile

... simplify ...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the thin shape of a sword blade is lost in the beautiful flames emanating from the wick.
Dare i say that there is little difference in the grandness of the flame wether you use a cheap sword or a (shielded)broomstick! one option costs less and will not involve scalding metal ono yo bum-bum.

i've never eaten a moose.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
i think the pro way of making a fire sword is to "Stitch" the kevlar wicking into the blade. but i am not sure

I think Riz is the guy to turn to

I have eaten a moose

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i dont know about fire swords, but i do know that moose is tastey, i've eaten part of a moose, but not an entre moose. this seems to be what this thread is about, please correct me if i'm wrong

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I've got a dull machete that I'm thinking of converting into a fireknife- not of the Samoan variety.
I was thinking perhaps attaching a nice hunk of wicking to the last few inches of blade, and making sure I'm using a piece with a wooden handle, to cut down on heat transference.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I have a basic firesword which involves a strip of metal folded on either side of a rope which basically leaves a sword shape with just the back edge on fire. This is good for capillary action but tends to go out a bit easy I find. If you wanted burn length, maybe you could mix this design with outer wicking on the tip to extend burn times and give a more durable flame?

I like eating chocolate moose *ducks behind sofa to avoid inevitable pelting of rotten fruit for a very bad pun*

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
*splat*

i had a plan for a sword, using a long 'V' shape with rope in it, but then u get to the problem of heat transfer and lack of a way to attach a wooden handle. ideas? ubbidea

current idea, workin on both at once, is using sheet metal (6mm aluminium checkerplate as a prototype) cut out the shape of a sword ( swords being illegal in victoria ) drill multiple holes down the back edge, say every 5cm or so, putting a ring through each hole, big enough to go round your kevlar rope, thread rope through rings, then stitch where appropriate. of course, add a wooden handle for heat, and even wrap with tennis grip or leather. will post pics wence i find a grinder / metal cutting jigsaw.

im tryin to design my swords for actual fighting, hence no kevlar on sharp edge. smile

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
my firesword came from bearclaw, so I'm not sure if I should say too much about the design (especially given recent debates on tribe please mod me or PM me if I shouldn't post this), but it does have a wooden handle within the metal V. which seems to work. can be a bit toasty sometimes. Don't forget a handguard to protect your hands from the flames! Fireswords give off a lot of flame!

Just bear in mind the heat stress, hot metal element for fighting: in otherwords make sure you have a full tang as hot things tend to break/bend easier. Wouldn't want it to break mid battle!

Look out for the Chimaera video for examples of firesword combat using 'broomstick' fireswords I believe. To be honest from what I've heard, these simply made ones work well in combat: worn kevlar is a small price to pay for personal safety.

Also do a search, there's a lot of threads on this already. For those thinking of stitching kevlar on swords, there's a nice example here

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
aight, im makin my prototype.

did an google image search. im i comandered this design.

Non-Https Image Link

im using 6mm thick aluminium checkerplate that i got for free (this is only a prototype) probably using steel rings to hold wick on, most likely going to choose 1inch rope wick, wooden full tang handle, either leather or tennis grip wrapped, square edge (for the policeies, but im gona make an inconspicuous case eventually)

the good ones (making multiple) will use 3 - 4mm aluminium (aluminium electroplated stainless if i can find it) stainless steel rings, and leather wrapped handle for that nice touch.

will post pictures, ask any questions

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Ah fire swords. A product I plan on producing en mass and for cheap once my business is up and running, perhaps sometime within two years. Of course, that mostly just incredible optimism. But that's off topic. Anyway, if necessary your swordsmith friend can help with fireswords, just contact me. Oh, mods, feel free to harass me a bit if this is considered advertising.

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
www.swordforum.com
This site's forum has sections where swordsmiths post- they might be able to answer questions about attaching wicking to blades, heat's effects on the metal, and so on.
It's a good site, but be forewarned- no "netspeak" or anything like that. It's not used over there.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
The Samoan Fireknife is made by drilling (or welding) two or three holes about 1/2 inch from each side of a machete.
We use 100% cotton towels - rolled up and attache with galvinized wire.
The blade is attached to a broomstick - the blade is 15 inches long and the whole knife is 37 inches long.
There is no protection between the handle and the blade.
What's a moose?
Teejay

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
have decided against making them full contact, me thinks it will be easier, besides, im prolly just gona put on some nice music and dance around cool with them ubbloco

cheers, pete biggrin

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
*notes that he didn't get busted for possible advertising and cheers* Anyway, I'd like to wish you luck in your performances with fireswords Pete, and always remember, practice, practice, avoid the sharp edges, and practice!

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
What's a moose? It's a HUGE, bad tempered animal. I believe it's in the same family as deer and elk. It's known for its massive antlers and general bad temper. I'm sure somebody's got a picture around here.

And Teejay, thanks for the description of the fireknife..I was wondering how to wick my machetes. Just out of curiousity, are there any female fireknife dancers around?

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

moose

thanks for all ur help (not that tis my thread).
have decided against rope and rings indea, am gone get 2 or 4inch wick, double it round the back edge, with some rope inside it, drill holes in the blade, then sew the wick in place.

cheers, pete biggrin

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
aight, need more help. biggrin

am putting a length of wick along the back of the sword, folded in a U shape, sewn to itself, through holes in the blade. inside of that wick, im goin to sew some rope wick into place.
my question to you is, what should i choose, my choises being:
2 inch wick, double around the blabe
or
4 inch wick, folded width ways, into the middle, so its 2 inches wide but 1/4 inch thick

then sewn into place, with

3/8inch rope
or
1/2inch rope
inside of it.

think im goin to choose 2inch wick, with 1/2 inch rope, giving me a total thickness of 3/4 inch almost 19mm but i could use help from anyone else.

cheers, pete biggrin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
will aluminium be ok for making a firesword with? doesn't it have quite a low melting point and give off toxic fumes potentially? can't remember if this is right or if I've got mixed up with something else...

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im working on a sword using aluminium now. ive used alumium for fire eating sticks and alot of staffs, and nothin bad has come from it yet.

cheers, pete biggrin

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
spectating on my own thread has helped anyway lol keep going with more questions my head is exploding with new information

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
..juicy information about massive hairy canadian quadrapeds (they're bigger than frogs...)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yay, ordered the stuff ubbrollsmile

decided to go with 2.5 inch wick, with 1/2 inch rope inside it. at the thickest point the wick should be about 3/4inch wide.

should be here in about a week, so i cant wait to do it.

pictures soonish

cheers, pete biggrin

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
One of the dancers in my fire troupe just made himself a set of swords. they are unbearably heavy, though he can do some cool tricks with them (but I am sure he is going to crack a wrist). The next pair we will know a bit more about construction. But he cut out two pieces of sheet aluminum, about3 inches wide for the "blade" and about 1.5" wide for the handle, and about 3 feet long. For the handle, he first tied a pieces of rope around ti for a grip, which lokos and works great... and example of a good handle knot is here:

https://trainingblades.com/article_info.php?articles_id=2

And he actually affixed a 1" diamater wooden ball to the end, just to give him a little more spin. The rope handle/grip works really well, it does not seem to overheat. Next time, it should probably be made using kevlar rope, (which will obviously not be soaked with fuel,) but that way it will be flame resistant and will not heat up as much as other rope will (though right now his seems to be working well.)

The really cool thing is that he spins poi, so he is treating the swords as poi, and watching him do just a forward weave with them is pretty sweet...

Oh - and he used 2" flat wick, but attached two or three layers of it, one on top the other, to the back edge of the sword, because he didnt think one would soak enough fuel. Likewise, he used nuts, bolts, and washers to attach the wick and not kevlar thread. Both of these adjustments made it more secure as well as more flame, but contribute to the incredible weight problem...
EDITED_BY: krakfiend69 (1115040702)

Newpoistnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Written by: LazyAngel

will aluminium be ok for making a firesword with? doesn't it have quite a low melting point and give off toxic fumes potentially? can't remember if this is right or if I've got mixed up with something else...

Nah, aluminium would be good, its light and they use it in planes so its quite strong.
It needs to have stuff added to it to lower its melting point before it can be melted, thats why its quite expensive to extract (as well as the high energy levels needed- recycle everyone!!!)

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
how anoying.

ive already ordered my load of wicks and the etc off HoP, then i find out i could kevlar wrap the handle. oh well, guess it can wait a while.

by the way.

does anybody know any metal suppliers in australia, preferably victoria, or know anyone i should ask for this info.

cheers, pete biggrin

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
In regards to that site with the handlewrapping instructions, I was thinking that some of the aluminum practice swords they sell might make nice fireblades with the addition of some wicking on the blades..Especially that pair of krabi krabong swords..Those are sweet, I WANT!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
still waiting for those wicks to arive.

thanks to some advice from gnorc, i shall be using aluminium sheet, not aluminium checkerplate (provided they stock it)

also, since i am not making swords for full contact, i have chosen to drill an asortment of holes in the blade as to help cooling. coments, criticism, insults.

those handles rock... so do the blades :P

cheers, pete biggrin

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
Whoops - hold up please !
DO NOT use aluminum for a fire sword/knife !
There is a company out there that sells "authentic Samoan Fireknives" - I think it's called Dance Cheer or something similar.
The blades, if heated a few times, will break if dropped.
It's for this reason that Samoan fireknives are made of actual machetes - not to be macho, but for safety because machetes are made from carbon steel - they will not break.
I know this from personal experience - saw it with my own eyeballs eek
Yes - there are female fireknife dancers - quite a few as a matter of fact. As for wrapping the wick - we weld holes through the knives and attach the wicks with 18 gauge galvanized wire.
Right now we use a roofing tile from Hawaii called Kaneck, but 100% cotton towels work even better. When we have it, we wire a strip of Kevlar on the outside to keep the towels from burning too fast, but the dancers don't like it much because it's difficult to transfer the flame.
You can find more info here: www.sivaafi.org

"Just be kind - it's cheap, easy, and quite shocking"

Teejay

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
TJ:
i have made multiple staffs out of aluminium, used them with 6inches of large wick on each end, producing a large amount of fire. we have then, after using it many times, dropped it on almost everysurface drop-onto-able resulting in minor dints and scratches, but no broken staffs.

also

steel heats up, and sticks to your skin when it burns you. that it something i really dont want.

cheers, pete biggrin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:

confused aluminium...I dont remember that bit...or do you mean for the weapon????...*looks blank* I thought we discussed handles....damn my memory

Play and see and report back .....staffs are round and I think round things are strong as opposed to flat ali that may bend.

Mine are spring steel and so far have handled fire combat just fine. Just need to remember not to thrust and wear a glove

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Page: