Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > One Handed Butterfly - World Poll Please

Login/Join to Participate

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering biggrin

The One Handed Butterfly seems to always rotate to the left.
(Poi in the right hand; Thumbend Anticlockwise; Pinkyend Clockwise)

Now I am here on the northern hemisphere where our drains drain to the left too ( LINK ).
So you guys on the southern hemisphere - where do your One Handed Butterflies rotate to ?!?

umm

peace

hug to those who can smile wave

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
The hemisphere you're in doesn't affect it; it depends on which hand you're using, and which poi is on top.

My usual one handed butterfly is in the left hand with thumb end poi going clockwise, and it turns to the right.

If I do it in the right hand with thumb end anti-clockwise (like you) it goes to the left.

I've also heard recently, and it is just what I've heard so I'm not going to say it's definitly the case; that the thing about plug hole drain direction and hemisphere, is also a bit of a myth.

EDIT---as the link you've provided states, now that I've gone to the effort of looking at it--- redface
EDITED_BY: onewheeldave (1112657968)

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im in northern hemi and they rotate left.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
3 Northerners to the left - who is going to the right?

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
wtf?

what do you mean rotate? like can you not keep them constant? or are you turning them, but can't turn them the other way? either way I must be an exception.. or incredibly stupid since I don't understand turn... but then again.. I don't hold them the way you speak... it puts the poi too far apart..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
wow Rev can spin poi in butterfly without them rotating! eek wink

Oh and the plug hole thing is a myth, well almost. It happens on a super large scale like in weather systems but won't affect things like your kitchen sink. They all go the same way no matter which end you're at smile

Oh and mine are pinky poi anti-clockwise, thumb poi clockwise.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

wtf?

what do you mean rotate? like can you not keep them constant? or are you turning them, but can't turn them the other way? either way I must be an exception.. or incredibly stupid since I don't understand turn... but then again.. I don't hold them the way you speak... it puts the poi too far apart..

It means that the planes of the poi turn- if you start facing forwards you gradually have to turn one way or the other.

The effect is much increased when the poi are held further apart (ie thumb end and pinky)- if you hold them together there's less turning (but they're harder to control).

You can stop the turning, but it's something you have to do consciously- you're constantly adjusting for them.

Another way of counteracting the turn is to learn to be able to do one-hand-bfly in both hands- you can then develop combinations where there's several beats of left hand one-hand-bfly, then switch (via a few beats of thread the needle, maybe) into right hand one-hand-bfly; this leaves you facing forwards in one direction through-out.

(like I said though- this is when you're holding the poi far apart, thumb end and pinky).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i will agree that doing 2poi in both hands helps with keep the planes straight!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Actually,,,,when you spin the one handed butterfly in the southern hemisphere, you end up spinning the REVERSE one handed b/f,,for some strange reason I couldn't get this pattern started at all when I tried it right on the equator.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I can't do a one handed butterfly but when I flush my poi down the toilet they go clockwise.

Does that help? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
teehee...what happens if your on the border of the hemispheres?

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well I guess I'm just weird.. but I hold one poi between the thumb and pointer finger... and the second poi right under it between the pointer and F*&^ off finger... my one handed butterflies are not even slightly hard to control.. infact that pretty much just bounce on their own, you just kinda move your hand where you want them to be.. quite clean I might add.. I'd almost go as far as to say cleaner than my two handed butterflies.. and the best part is that you can take and turn you hand CW until the butterfly is upside down and then turn it CCW until it turns trightside up and then upside down the other way... and it bounces between those positions really easily.. it just takes a few minutes to get comfortable with an upsidedown one handed bf..

and I guess having them that close together jsut stops the turn all together.. I do say that it does make split time a bit awkward when you hold them this way.. but I haven't really played that much with split time one handed bf's either htough..

*shrug*

PoiElfBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Dito Rev's way off holding poi and mine don't rotate either (unless they bounce off each othe Heehee) Ive not tried split timing onehanded bf, but can see how they could be a problem in this hand hold. I agree that it makes it pretty clean and easier.
Helz

"Mmm... I'm sure I had a tail this moring, now I've got legs!"

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

and I guess having them that close together jsut stops the turn all together.. I do say that it does make split time a bit awkward when you hold them this way.. but I haven't really played that much with split time one handed bf's either htough..

Just try turning your hand 90 degrees (which way is your preference of fist up or down) and moving left/right/left instead of up/down/up, should make the split time as easy as same time, if you fancy it.

smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yeah.. that works.. but I meant using the same hand position.. sorry if I was misleading.. I don't change my hand position when I do split time butterflies two handed.. I don't see why I should have to change that with onehanded stuff.. sure it gets the job done.. but I don't learn the proper control either..

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm liking Rev's way of holding the poi, I learned the one handed butterfly by holding my poi as far apart as possible, and never thought to change at all, but I did changed a few nights ago, I find it has a better feel, but my planes are a little more difficult to control.

As for turning my hand,,that's going to take a little more practice

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i reckon its all in the wrist. the good thing about a one handed butterfly is that it can go inwards, outwards and then you can swap which poi is going in front and behind. but knowing which way the poi can move isnt the same as knowing how to do it. i still maintain that if you walk right then all these technical moves flow naturally into one another as a consequence of the move spreceeding them. its not that one handed butterflies wont work unless you walk around with them................. but it kinda is. lots of moves i can do with 4 poi wouldnt work if the footwork wasnt there

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
It depends what poi is on top. I think if its the right poi on top it pulls left, or vica versa.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
im in the northern hemisphere and the poi rotate left whichever hand i have them in.

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
in the south mine rotate to the left, holding them in the right. havnt tried it in my left yet, not too keen one the one hand bf so dont really do it too much, but when i do its to the left i go...

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I'm in the south, I hold them much like Rev describes and they drift to the right when held in my right hand. Not sure about left hand.

Don't worry, be happy...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Rev dont be vulgar, smile.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
censored man.... what the censored are you censored talking about? wink ubblol

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Well my poi start rotating right depending which way i hold them, but then after 4-5 hours they start ging back in the other direction wink

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
in the beginning they rotated to the left, now they stay where they are supposed to be - means where I want them to be, not the other way round anymore like in the beginning that I had to follow my poi where they were going....

so a bit lefty, otherwise neither nor

hug hug hug

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

Gav486SILVER Member
You have 23 seconds to comply!
122 posts

Posted:
I reckon it's all to do with your wrist. You can resist the outward forces that the poi exert on your hand much easier than the inward forces, so the planes tend to bend inward.

This seems to be a newie problem though (at least it was for me); as when you learn to keep your wrist straight, the problem goes away.

You cannot trust this boy! His mind has been corrupted by colours, sounds and shapes.