Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so i passed on the boob job and went straight to the serious stuff ..... ok so i had laser surgury to have moles removed rolleyes but it was much less painful than i expected and was cool to get it done. sadly my health insurance doesnt pick up the bill cos its considered cosmetic frown got me thinking though about cosmetic surgury and what might be cool to get done.

just wondering if anyones had cosmetic surgury, what youve had done and what your experience was like. that or just thoughts on cosmetic surgury in general

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi ben-ja-men. yeah I had som eonce but I think the details would gross you out completely so I'll just say it was worth it!!!!
Newgabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't get anything done, besides get my dememnted pupil fixed, but im getting contacts to fix that weeeee.
As far as moles and lumps and bumps are concerend that fine, but anything i think is a bit pointless.
'Hey you look hot!'
'Thanks, it's all fake though'

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I got my upper lip fixed by a plastic surgeon who specializes in lips and mouth stuff about a year and a half ago when I was living in South Africa. When I was twelve I had an accident with a car and my front teeth went through my upper lip before shattering. The scar tissue from it never really went a way, and though most of it was on the inside (I accidently bit ita LOT), my upper lip was still pretty crooked.

in 20 minutes and for about $100 (would have easily cost ten times that in the states for the same job), the surgeon removed the scar tissue and did a little more to straighten things out, and after 2 weeks of living with the stitches, I was very pleased with the results. I thought he was going to have to use collegen on one part of my lip to straiten it, but he actually managed to do the job entirely with a scalpel and a little ingenuity.

with that and the real fix I got my teeth about 4 years ago, I am starting to learn how to do an open mouth smile that actually shows some white!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i think it's fantastic that reconstructive surgery is available to anyone who's been born scarred, had accidents, a masectomy etc.

i broke my 2 front teeth in an accident when i was 18 and had to get crowns. they didn't really do a great job on them, and i'd like them replaced some day, but it doesn't bother me enough to stop smiling biggrin when someone smiles it's the eyes i notice, not their teeth...

i've also got a huge scar across my tummy from a burst appendix when i was nine. they sliced me open in a hurry for exploratory surgery, so the scar is about 5 times the size of a regular appendix scar. it bothered me a bit when i was younger but i always preffered a swimsuit to a bikini anyway so it's always been hidden

my younger brother had a number of moles removed too, some of which were melanomas, so fair play to you ben for getting yours seen to, especially living in oz where there's such a high rate of skin cancer

wouldn't be interested in cosmetic surgery though, i'm 34 and starting to get wrinkles everywhere, i even spotted my very first grey hair just a few weeks ago, and i was kinda pleased! i'd like to cultivate a grey streak, it'd look kinda cool with red hair biggrin

there's way too much emphasis on the "perfect body" or "perfect boobs" or "perfect smile" these days. i've never had any desire to look like a barbie doll...

peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

starting to get wrinkles everywhere

Everywhere? smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ok, maybe not everywhere, but i'm sure it's only a matter of time ubblol

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i've had a tooth done, full crown, i didnt smile for a whole year so it was well worth the stupid amount of money i had to spend on it.

i wouldnt mind a boob job. i just dont know what part of my body to put them on confused

Love is the law.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

i've had a tooth done, full crown, i didnt smile for a whole year so it was well worth the stupid amount of money i had to spend on it.

i wouldnt mind a boob job. i just dont know what part of my body to put them on confused

I have ten crowns - 8 of which are directly due to that stupid accident on my bike when I was 12 I mentioned above

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
ouch.

My dentist is considering putting me up for some orthodontic surgery to bring my jaw forward a tad.... which would be cool, cos at the mo i have a weird smile... it makes small kids cry.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You and you're boyish good looks Ben! All the men are sure to go nuts with the new improved you!

Man If I got moles removed, they'd be there all year! And I keep getting more too it's great. Every month is a new edition of "mole hunt monthly". The only place I don't have any moles is on my left hand. Which is weird. Anyway, I've enjoyed talking about my moles.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alot of the time in the US moles are covered here because they are concidered a "risk" because of melanomas, as mentioned before.

I haven't had plastic surgery, but I have thought about it seriously for my trach scar. It's fading over time but I am still very aware of it, and I feel really self-concious of it, though not like I did when it first started to heal.
Truthfully, there are days where I think liposuction wouldn't be such a bad idea for me either. redface

I do know alot of people who have had plastic surgery. Two who have had breast reductions for health purposes and they both look fabulous now! (they did before but it is a different kind of fabulous as they are both more self-confident now).

My mother's best friend had a double mastectomy and so she has implants, and had liposuction augmentation (they suck the fat from other parts of the body and put it in the breast area).
They don't look natural at all but she is okay with that because they still give her a female shape that she feels good about, and that is all that matters.

Then another girlfriend had the gastrointestinal bypass surgery. She didn't follow the after care instructions at all so her skin did not retract much. She recently had a *bunch* of her stomach skin removed, a tummy tuck and a new bellybutton shaped. She will still look at people and say "Do I look fat?" and her happiness has been contingent upon what size she fits into. It is really sad. All that surgery to change her shape and she still can't see her own beauty.

I think that the mindset you walk into something like that with is paramount. Obviously her mental state will not allow her to have self-confidence at this point, no matter what she does, which means that no amount of plastic surgery will help. Whereas I think those for health purposes or minor corrections are alright because they are not so heavily dependent upon our mental state, if that makes sense?

I also have to say that I personally disagree with complete surgical reconstruction for people who do not have health issues or a physical need from birth defect or accident (Like the show "The Swan" where everyone seems to get what they need corrected, and on top of that 10 things they don't need done corrected).

I think it is, in the US at least, becoming an addiction and a "quick fix" which if you don't have the mental state, it doesn't fix anything.

This reminds me...anyone here watch Nip/Tuck? **Fabulous** show about this topic!

Regards,
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

I got my upper lip fixed by a plastic surgeon who specializes in lips and mouth stuff about a year and a half ago when I was living in South Africa. When I was twelve I had an accident with a car and my front teeth went through my upper lip before shattering. The scar tissue from it never really went a way, and though most of it was on the inside (I accidently bit ita LOT), my upper lip was still pretty crooked.

ooh! i did that too when i was younger!! twice in one week!! well i didn't shatter my teeth as they weren't fully grown, but i nearly knocked one of them out and i still have a small amount of scar tissue in my lip. My accidents was different though, i basically fell flat on my face off some playground equipment - had it stitched up, that was the monday... on the friday i was back at school, walking up the concrete side of some steps - like a concrete banister type thing, slipped.... and yes... back to infirmary. My headteacher then banned me from going out to play for three weeks.... but yeah, a few years later they removed the scar tissue too, but it's strange although it is cosmetic surgery i never really thought of it that way,. i suppose because i was still young and my mum was the one that suggested it...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

I also have to say that I personally disagree with complete surgical reconstruction for people who do not have health issues or a physical need from birth defect or accident (Like the show "The Swan" where everyone seems to get what they need corrected, and on top of that 10 things they don't need done corrected).

I think it is, in the US at least, becoming an addiction and a "quick fix" which if you don't have the mental state, it doesn't fix anything.

OMG "The Swan"!!! I couldn't believe it. I was sick last week and had 4 days off work so I managed to catch this program. WOW! Those poor women. I can't believe the trauma they put their bodies through. I mean, whatever makes them happy (am not judging them for having the surgery) but all that in 2 months, plus full on diet and exercise. Man. eek I don't know about you guys, but it takes me a little while to recover from anything even mildly traumatic.

anyway, off topic. Sorry.

Nice one on the mole removal Ben! I need a biggie off my shoulder, but was told I would need internal and external stitches, so have been putting it off since 1998. Got it checked by Skin Cancer Clinic who say it's okay, but it gets rubbed and knocked, especially when I'm wearing a pack.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
i wanna become a plastic surgeon, hmm nose jobs sound rather painful it involves a large metal rod and a mallet, an imagination could creates some pretty messed up images with that.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

Alot of the time in the US moles are covered here because they are concidered a "risk" because of melanomas, as mentioned before.

yeah i thought it was quite strange that it wasnt covered apparently as none of them looked like they would turn nasty its not considered a risk, i have private health insurance why again confused oh well i guess its better to have it and not need it smile

I need a biggie off my shoulder, but was told I would need internal and external stitches, so have been putting it off since 1998. Got it checked by Skin Cancer Clinic who say it's okay, but it gets rubbed and knocked, especially when I'm wearing a pack.

my dad had a really large one removed from his back, the joy of laser is it requires no stiches and leaves no scars biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ben..just to let you know, the second quote in your last post was by Flash Fire, not me wink Not that I mind.

Flash, my best friend in high school had a really big mole removed from her forearm. She had to have in and out stitches as well because they told her that her skin was elastic enough to be stitched. Without getting into too many gory details, it wasn't and she should have gotten the skin graft instead. Less recovery time and in her case less pain. It is another option as well, though I agree with Ben in thinking laser is best.

And I couldn't agree with you more about The Swan! OMG!!!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
redface hehe to much study makes me make mistakes like that

im looking into detoxing at the moment as the ah la natural form of cosmetic surgury, gotta clean all those toxins out hehe that and massage oh if only it was april already

pinkbootSILVER Member
Beautiful Intelligent Thoughtful Cute Happy!
269 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

ouch.

My dentist is considering putting me up for some orthodontic surgery to bring my jaw forward a tad.... which would be cool, cos at the mo i have a weird smile... it makes small kids cry.

trust me that hurts

i had mine strapped together coz 3 out of four of the plates broke! and it stayed that way 4 2 months the only joy to it was i lost 2 stone in a month! biggrin

I was gonna conquer the world but got distracted by something shiny!

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
When i was youngen i crawled out of my cot and onto my brand new bed, fell off and tore my bottom lip off!
They fixed it and i dont look icky anymore. It actually looks pretty normal, aside from a mini scar below my lip...

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I had LASIK. It's more functional than cosmetic, but it's elective.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
a girl at my uni basically had all of her toes broken and straightend because she thought they looked ugly.. then she wouldnt show anyone because of all of the scarring *shrugs* seemed a little strange to me, but she was so happy and excited about the whole thing- she couldnt walk for nearly a month due to the scare of putting things out of place again.
i know a girl who had to have a breast reduction at the age of 15. she was up to a g cup and she was TINY (like 5'4 and stick thin) so she had them taken off- lost 8kg over night. and she still has a great set! (now about a c cup i believe) and yeah it was a health risk so most of it was covered by medicare.
then i know another girl who was saving up to go overseas, then at the last minute decided that she wanted to get a boob job instead *sighs* the thing that gets me is she looked great to start with... now she just flaunts them and its the only thing you see when you look at her.

personally i think cosmetic surgery is amazing when it is needed in cases of accidents or burn victims and birth defects, but when people start abusing it then it loses its impact. especially if as pele said and they dont have the mental state to change. *shrugs* thats all from me biggrin

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I had some plastic surgery a few years after I had a caesarian cos my tummy had turned into my Dad's beer gut. It was great and worth every penny. I'm not really that vain (I'm a pretty hefty mama and that's fine) but it helped my comfort levels enormously, being able to fit into clothes again and sit down without heaps of pressure on my stomach that used to make me nauseous..... I don't tell a lot of people but hey, while' we're on it.

Nice to meet you the other night Phairie! Glad you made it!

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
I had a 3rd testicle added. The surgeon constructed it out of brain tissue from my cerebral cortex. Now I finally feel like a whole man.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

Josie-PosieBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

im looking into detoxing at the moment as the ah la natural form of cosmetic surgury, gotta clean all those toxins out hehe that

Now that is a nasty experience, last year me ans my house mate tried it, after 2 days we both had headaches so bad our third house mate (who was sensible enough not to join in) had to put us both to be with a cup of tea and a mini pizza to get the saly and caffiene levels back to normal - he enjoyed getting to shout "emergency cup of tea - STAT!" biggrin

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I tend to think that if you want a third ear grafted to your forehead, or whatever, then it's your choice. It's the same with tattoos, or piercing: you're going to get people who have restrained and tasteful stuff done, and you're going to get those who think having blue squiggles all over their face looks great too.

I'd be interested to know statistically how many Lolo Ferrari's there are for each 36C.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Does having a high speed glowie extracted from behind the ear count as plastic surgery? ubbloco

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
In my younger days, I had 4 teeth (2 baby, 2 adult) smashed out and a hole put in my lip by some dudes skatebaord (9 stitches in a gap less then half an inch).

I did have a bridge glued in, but it comes out so easy I've given up, haven't had it for over a year, at first I was paranoid about my smile, but that wore off. To get the next best treatment takes 6 months or more, and the cost is waaayyyyyyy too much, I'd rather visit some random country then buy a dentist a new TV

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I've been searching for a close but decent tattoo removalist (is that a word?) for a long time. It's kind of hard when you're 17 and not wanting to tell your parents...

*is ashamed*

It's not like it's a huge one...maybe 4X4cm...japanese symbol meaning 'fire'

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh dear. What happened!!!! Tragic tattoo story???? redface

Page: