Forums > Social Discussion > judging someone by weight?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
begin rant

Why do people in society choose to judge others by how much they weigh? I don't want this to turn into a thread about eating disorders, but on my walk home today, I received less than pleasant comments from two ladies walking by me.

Now, first off, I'm not a large person. Quite the opposite actually. I'm skinny, and there is nothing I can do about it. They made comments along the lines of me being anorexic and bolemic and why didn't I just eat? Well, how does one civilally respond to that? I've learned that just saying I do eat doesn't get my point across as they think I'm one of those girls that just picks at a salad when out on a date.

The fact is, I eat, and quite a bit. I've eaten more than the last 2 guys I've dated at most meals. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and at least 3 snacks a day. My body needs the food. It lets me know if I haven't fed it enough or recent enough. I physically pass out if I don't consume enough.

It's not my fault the waistline of americans (and many other nations) are growing. Why do people like to make others they know nothing about feel bad? If there was something I could do to gain weight, trust me, I would. I've tried weight training. That gained me all of 5 pounds even when I did it for over a year (I had a class, so I had no choice but to work out 3 times a week). My body is healthy, so why?

Does it make people feel good to put others down? Do they get some instant kick from it? How do they feel an hour later? Do they even think what those types of comments can do to someone else?

Personally, I don't think I'm too skinny. I've been within 5 pounds of my current weight for over 15 years. It's obviously the weight I'm meant to be. I'm very happy with that.

rant over

ok, thanks for listening. I apparently needed to get that off my chest. biggrin

now off to find some cheese and crackers

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sakura_moon

Dont judge someone by their body weight, but by the weight of their heart.

Hear Hear. In the end, thats what really matters smile

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Sakura, you're almost exactly the same height / weight as me!

I was a high metabolism skinny person for ages. Used to get the same anorexic comments. A friend of mine (after watching me demolish two helping of dinner) once said 'I used to think you were anorexic, but I don't now', funny thing was she was taller and skinnier than me!

Skinny thing died a death when I hit about 24. Must be hormonal or something!

IMHO you are the right weight if you are comfortable and happy. If not, do something about it. In my case, I'm quite happy, but can't afford a whole new wardrobe, so am hauling my lazy ass down to the gym 2/3 times a week so I can fit into all the clothes I have I bought a couple of years ago!

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: KatB

IMHO you are the right weight if you are comfortable and happy. If not, do something about it. In my case, I'm quite happy, but can't afford a whole new wardrobe, so am hauling my lazy ass down to the gym 2/3 times a week so I can fit into all the clothes I have I bought a couple of years ago!

I'm pretty happy with me at the moment! My problem with the clothing I bought a couple years ago, is that it's too big now! And I'm not really actively attempting to loose weight at all... I used to be a bit obsessive with weight and appearance. But, I'm happy now, and I think the happyness kinda... radiates on the outside, and stuff... Umm, it makes sence to me smile I'm definately not the smallest. I'm not even small! But I'm fairly healthy, eat well (maybe a bit too much chocolate once in a while, but it's sooo yummy! But I don't eat meat, so it evens out in my books wink ) And my BMI is in the 'normal' zone.

Something rather interesting that has happened though - I used to have a fair amount of stress through school and extra curriculars etc., and didn't eat that often (maybe 2 'full' meals a day, not of the best stuff too!') and some stupid part of my mind thought "hey, I'm not eating much, and running here and there and working really hard, I should be loosuing something!" But I didn't really. Then I come here, eat lots of good food, 3 fixed meals a day (+ 2 - 3 snacks a day!!) prepared by a great cook (ubblove my host mummy!) with tea, and... cake every day biggrin *beams with happyness* I've never eaten so much since I started conciously thinking about what I ate... and I'm loosing weight now! Not that I'm really complaining.. My only complaint is that my fave clothes are getting to big frown But certain orange hoodies are forever... no matter how many holes they have, they still get worn in public! hehe...

*skips off being a happy person*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Bobo, some scientists found that changing your daily routine can make you lose weight without eating less... I came to the UK and just speaking a different language all the time and going to work at different times (as opposed to sitting at home and writing up my thesis whenever I felt like it before) made me lose more than 10 kg! I guess with you moving to Germany it's quite similar.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Written by: OrangeBobo

I used to have a fair amount of stress through school and extra curriculars etc., and didn't eat that often (maybe 2 'full' meals a day, not of the best stuff too!') and some stupid part of my mind thought "hey, I'm not eating much, and running here and there and working really hard, I should be loosuing something!" But I didn't really. Then I come here, eat lots of good food, 3 fixed meals a day (+ 2 - 3 snacks a day!!) prepared by a great cook (ubblove my host mummy!) with tea, and... cake every day biggrin *beams with happyness* I've never eaten so much since I started conciously thinking about what I ate... and I'm loosing weight now!

Direct example of what I was explaining earlier. A body that thinks some kind of bad situation is going on, famine or stress or whatever, has a slow metabolism, trying to save up energy. Activity + food -stress means a faster metabolism.

Stress has a LOT to do with it, as well. I was in a nasty relationship a while back, when it finally ended I lost like 20 pounds in maybe 2 months. Barely any change in my diet, just bang, like that.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
hmmm...I've never really equated stress with weight gain, but I have recently been told it does make a difference. I wonder if part of the reason I've never had a problem is that I rarely get stressed. I've learned it's just much healthier to deal with things as they come along. I usually let stuff that would stress others out just slide right off me. What's the point after all?

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Stress is a huge thing with metabolisim, I find as well. A friend of mine was also going through a bad break-up, and with the way his ex was playing him, he lost 4 - 6 pant-sizes I think, in the end of it, coming out rather frail looking frown It was so sad to see what that 'woman' put him through...

And Brigit, by my moving to Germany for a year, things in me have indeed greatly changed, much for the better I must say. Although I'm still really bad for emails, lalala *wanders away twiddling thumbs*

But at least I know now that I can eat 3 meals a day +, be happy, and not obsess over physical appearance/weight. biggrin *radiates in personal growth* ubblol

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Page: