malakai_stormmember
6 posts

Posted:
doing wraps how do i prevent from burning my skin

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
ok...Hopefully you are doing wraps fast enough to minimize burns..

This is the first trick: wrap supraquick.
Next: make sure that the bolts on your wicks are as short as possible, and don't use wire to wrap around wicks. The metal gets too hot.

Next: Use sleeves. You can purchase kevlar sleeves from various auto mechanic suppliers, or do what I did-took a pair off and old 100% cotton shirt I didn't want anymore. They need to be tight enough not to fall down while spinning.

Lastly-get used to flesh wounds-they happen, and get a tub of really good burn cream

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Girls dig scars!!!!!!

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

MaDMouSeFiReBoYmember
49 posts

Posted:
Morticians dig graves!

Scars....love em (got a few, still working on the collection!). To my mind, they are part of the danger, thrill and all that jazz that comes with fire play!

All drugs have their side effects, and as Im addicted to fire poi and the like, I have to puit up with the side effects!

Maybe thats a bit "I dont give a shit", but they arent that bad!
MMFB

Distorted sex drive in space was already known to be a sticky knoblem - BRASS EYE

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Wraps are Kool.
Have myself a few more burns and lost hair after Sundays madness at Kensal.....still, fucking leeeeeerrrrrvly party.
(**Mmmmm - Bounces off D&B stylee givin it large to tunes still ringing in ears.....**)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
malakai_storm, doing wraps on bare skin you are usually going to come away with a few little scorch marks. These are normally only very small burns caused by the metal parts of the poi (screw links/swivels etc) as these are the parts that heat up.

The best way to stop them is to wear something like a cotton shirt and cotton trousers (or jeans). However I find it very hard to spin with long sleeves as I get far too hot during my set so I tend to just put up with the fact that I am going to burn myself every now and again (and have no leg/arm hair at the moment cos I have been spinning in shorts a lot this summer!!)

I find I can even get some quite ammusing shaped burns at times and they only last a week or so!

Try this one for instance!!

Mark P

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
jaidendawn, you mean sleeves to wear on your arms, not over the fireheads, right?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
On a slightly related note, anyone know if the hardware on the HoP cathedral wicks is blind rigged? I've just ordered a set and you can't see the underside of the wicks in the picture.
I'm planning on doing wraps with them on bare skin and I'm just curious to know if they are or not before they arrive.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

badly burned boymember
8 posts

Posted:
I know a great way of not gettin burnt from the wraps, try to do them as little as possible or never!! Whilst incredibly usefull, i think they look very much on the sketchy side and break the flow. But that is just my opinion.
I am sure that some scarred lunatic somewhere can do it with style!!!!

TO: Mark P, dont you just love those cross screwhead burn scars, they gotta be my favorite!!!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
i happen to like seeing wraps, burned boy, outside of the "oh my, look at that!" sense of their daring, it's really nice to see the spinning firehead circling a limb or an object, like a satellite, then swinging back out to space.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ignore everyone else.

You can't prevent scars on bare skin. Some people's skin burns less easily and they'll tell you that it's your poi design, chains, fuel, sexual orientation, or momma that's giving you burns. It's not.

Or, my personal favorite, when people tell me that they never get burns when wrapping with bare skin. Then you ask them why their arms are covered in burns and they tell you "It's not burns its just MARKS".

I have one permanent burn from doing wraps on bare skin. Ever since then, I've used denim sleeves, which I find very resistant. I also have a complicated leather pair of bracers but that's a different thread.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]