Forums > Social Chat > Hey America, Did you VOTE yet?

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I DID! biggrin

[Please take all DISCUSSION of politics to the DISCUSSION threads that already exist. And those of you smarter people are going to have to patiently explain it to the dumb people that post politics here anyway. It's kind of like an indirect IQ test. wink ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Give me an hour...the polls haven't opened here yet. I got lucky, my polling place is on my 10 minute walk to work, so I'm hoping to get it done first thing.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i did....last week tongue

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Just did. I'm lucky to live in a small precint. No line at all, and there was a steady flow of people coming in one by one. I also noticed that several first time voters arrived at my location. The volunteers had to ask that question of everyone before allowing them to take a ballot.

I do have one question though...Can you really vote for two people in the same category? The top of my ballot said that if I voted straight ticket (i.e. all democrat/all republican/ or all independent) and then placed a mark for someone not of that party, you would essentially cast a ballot for the person you actually circled next to as well as the candidate of the party you chose. (sorry NYC if that's considered political)

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
i dont belive thats political. i think he means like i voted for blah blah blah..they are better. like strarting to argue who's a better candidate. i am to young to vote lol. i dont know if your situation would work. u shiould just punch all the holes of people u wanna vote for. lol

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That makes little sense Sprite.

I know there are some categories that get more than one vote (Like there are 6 people running for four 'judge' spots)

But aside from that, no idea.

And yes, anything to do with the PROCESS of VOTING should be within the context of this thread.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I had no holes to punch. I actually had little circles to pencil in. Kinda archaic if you ask me. I guess some person has to individually look at my ballot and tally the votes for all people? It would be easier if I had punch cards or even used a standard test response page since they make mechanical readers for those.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
There are machines that can read the little circles filled in with the right lead pencils... We had standardized tests like that in grade 8, and they were all stuffed in a scanny machiney thing, and done by computer to get our marks (which we never saw in any case) I guess it's the same thing??

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
It doesn't look like the stanard test answer sheet though, but apparently there are mechanical readers for it. I had to place my ballot in the box a certain way, so they must get fed through a reader of some sort.

On another note, I found out that the funky wording at the top of my ballot was also on the electronic ballots up in Houston. So, maybe you really could vote for 2 candidates (don't know why you would want to) for the same office?

Here's the exact wording of it:

"If you cast a straight-party vote for all the nominees of one party and also cast a vote for an opponent of one of that party's nominees, your vote for the opponent will be countead as well as your vote for all the other nominees of the party for which the straight-party vote was cast"

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
although i really have nothing to do with this topic - my reading of that statement read that you can select say - 'all democrat' at the top, but if you vote for a single republican further down - that gets the republican votes for THAT catagory, and all others catagories you still voted democrats.
it actually makes sense.... almost.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
If you vote straight party, it'll automatically fill in all votes possible for that party. BUT, you can override that function by indicating an individual vote next to the opponent. That way your vote for the opponent will be counted for that singular race ONLY and your votes for the other nominees on that straight party will still remain. This is done to save time and effort but it does not allow you to vote for more than one candidate for the same office. Hope this clears things up for you!

I did early voting last week and had this explained to me by a helpful assistant.

Fear the evil monkey!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
It seems that is how it is supposed to be interpreted. If you had an electronic ballot, it was more obvious. If you voted straight-party, you could see the circles automatically filled in. Then you could go and change one. Not so clear on my little one page paper ballot.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As the districts start reporting, maybe we can use this as a center thread to post links?

I've found no good links but I don't think the websites are up yet.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
https://www.electoral-vote.com/
promises to update as the results come in, so that may be helpful. Their website is already slow though, so I suspect they will be swamped later...

backup sites:

www.electoral-vote3.com through www.electoral-vote8.com

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Well that's done with. I used an old voting machine. You pull a lever across in fron of you closing the curtains. Then you push down these littlelevers next to the candidates for who you wantto vote for. Finally you pull the lever back across and the curtains pop open and your votes are counted. Voila.

Peace, Love, Circles

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
when do we find out the results by the way? x

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
I DID biggrin

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: stroo

when do we find out the results by the way? x

polls close at 7pm in most (all?) states, so there will be a wave of results going rom east to west staggered over several hours. "final" word from most precincts probably won't be had for another 24 hours or more (depending on their various problems), but projections will be made in advance of that as votes are continuously counted from the beginning of the day on. At some point in certain areas the results will be obvious. In other areas, it will take longer if it is close to a tie. But if nothing weird happens, expect to have a fair idea by 6am or 7 am in europe/uk

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Voted. I got to sleep in a little bit, vote, then head in to work.

There was a time, ages ago, when you were given election day off as a holiday. Wish that were still true.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I voted.

Ah, the advantages of being white and affluent: the whole process took less than 20 minutes. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: ...Lightning...

I voted.

Ah, the advantages of being white and affluent: the whole process took less than 20 minutes. wink

Lightning last time I went to vote it took me 2 mins! The Joy of living in a tiny village with its own polling station! ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
My exgirlfriend's new boyfriend was the guy at the polling station.

That can't be a good sign.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
So what happens, if they count them all up...and its a draw?

Do they get to kick each other in balls until one of them gives up?

That would be cool.

smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I wish.

I had to get an out of state ballot as I'm at college, and of course I didn't because I was too lazy.

Either way, I'm just watching this election with amusment....

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Kahlaninewbie
5 posts

Posted:
I did...but I did it last week by absentee...will be out on my local street corner holding up signs today. smile Hope it's not too wet...

~C

Kahlani weavesmiley
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You're going to see a whole lotta ugly coming from an endless parade of stupid. ~from Hairspray

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I voted!!! Aren't you proud of me? bounce I messed up on my first ballot so they gave me a new one. I had to connect two ends of a broken arrow to make arrows pointing at the thing I was voting for.

I AM working.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I'm glad that's over with. Now if I can only avoid all the cheesy boring media until the ballots are counted... Does anyone actually goes to "Election night coverage" t.v. watching parties? I just want to come to work tommorrow and have another artist tell me who won. We are listening to butt rock now cuz it's better than election coverage! oops, sorry if I'm whining. am i? Dunno, really I'm just typing.

I AM working.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

I had to get an out of state ballot as I'm at college, and of course I didn't because I was too lazy.

Either way, I'm just watching this election with amusment....

mad mad mad mad This is one instance where if Bush gets back in I hope they reinstate the draft! wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Election latest results and being updated and stuff...

smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But apparently, Bush has won already

rolleyes