Forums > Social Discussion > Chronic Procrastination - help?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
HI everyone,

IVe known about this assignment for weeks, and not studied in ages. Its due in less than 8 hours, and its nearly 5am (Ive been working on it for about 18 hours). Why oh why do I always leave things until the last possible moment? I like my sleep. doing this just does my head in. but I *always* do it.

can anyone offer any tips on breaking the procrastination cycle? cuz Im really bad, and I think I need some outside advice.

confused

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Only the normal suggestions:

Write out a timeline and set due dates for yourself to achieve. Maybe even get a buddie, and even if it's seperate assignments or something, you can annoy eacother and whipe eachother into gear so as to not procrastinate. Tell youreself to work at it for an hour, and reward yourself for doing at least a little bit of work by doing something you like (HoP?)

Umm... I'm sure there's other things teachers have crammed into my brain since.. forever that I cant remember. I too am a chronic procrastinator.. it's in my blood. My grandfatehr, my father, my mother, my brother and I all have/had (grandfather died way back when I can't remember) severe procrastination. I remember in grade 5, staying up until 2:30 (which is a big deal in grade 5) working on a board game due later on that morning. My problem is now, I procrastinate, and the don't do it, and then procrastinate on an excuse, and then have to think of soemthing up on the spot. Language barriers help with that 'sorry, I didnt know what the assignment was!'. Now it's too easy to get away with not working at all biggrin

Good luck on the assignment!

PS, the trick to procrastination, is doing it, but doing it well. wink

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
um........well.....if you can admit that you do this, then it should be obvious to you WHEN you are doing it, so....if you stay conscious of the problem you should be able to put forth the conscious effort to NOT do it...................my wife has the same problem and i told her this same thing, but she's stubborn wink that's my best guess

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
damn you guys are quick! smile

Note to self: get back to work and come back in an hour.

Josh

--

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
It's only because I'm procrastinating. Dunno what it is, but I am always procrastinating on something. right now, I think it might be sleep. umm

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'll get back to you on an answer for that one.... I'm just really distracted at the moment and can't find the time to respond in full.

tongue

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I'm the same... despite all the promises, every single one of my essays at uni was handed in at least half an hour after the deadline... and I was writing it right up until then biggrin

If it was really important I usually had to scare myself out of the procrastination cycle with the grim realisation that there was still nothing down on paper.

And then, if I scared myself too much and started to panic I remembered that in just a few hours it will be all over and I wouldn't have to worry anymore... until the next time.

Most likely you know this subject Josh, just write down some of the points already in your head, then draw them together in some kindof coherent pattern (backing them up with set texts)... once you start writing you'll be fine hug

Getting to the other side smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Seriously though, sometimes it's not about procrastination. It's about blossoming under pressure. That's how I function - whether it be a document I have to submit or rehearsing for a performance; I can't take it seriously or focus on it unless I am under pressure.

You're a sagittarian Josh (amongst other things). Embrace your 'deadline-driven' M.O.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Procrastination... T'is an evil thing. Hard habit to break, too. I've been doing it since, uh... Pre-school? ^^; I've noticed that it tends to get worse as the years go by. Best thing to do is have someone constantly on your case about it. Hopefully you'll get so fed up with the nagging that you'll do your work just so s/he shuts up. tongue Making a daily schedule helps, too. It's the following bit that's hard. wink
Or you could come up with some way to kill procrastination so then you can get your work done on time, and I can come back to posting on HoP! biggrin

Good luck with your work! hug2 wave

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Perhaps, some of us just need a deadline to motivate us into action. I know I do, and I think this phenomenon has become increasingly common in recent years with terms like just-in-time- delivery or available-on-demand becoming the norm.

Apparently, this type of strategy is derived from business models which have been successful in cost reduction. For example, the use of a just-in-time approach to inventory control, purchasing, ordering, and delivery of goods is considered more efficient than more orthodox approaches which traditionally have been time consuming, and frequently carried out days or weeks ahead.

Hope that make u feel better smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
To beat procrastination use the salami technique:

you don't just hook into a big knob of salami, you cut it into small peices and devour them one by one.

If you break a big task down into smaller components (and any length is ok - from very small to a bit bigger)

tackle each seperate component - and you can even reward yourself at the end of each 'chunk' (eg go for a short walk, eat something, make tea, clean the house, do small other jobs)

:backs out slowly taking off trainers hat....: hehe

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
It helps enormously if you can write something for as little as ten minutes a day; it doesn't matter how crap it is, or if you repeat yourself over and over, the important thing is just to get something down as you can't edit a blank page.

Once you've started you may find a bit of inspiration and keep going, or you may draw a blank and write the day off as a bad one, doesn't matter.

Just ten minutes a day and you'll be finished in no time.
EDITED_BY: Eera (1099354217)

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ooh and Josh - you might like mind mapping as a way of chunking your tasks - a nice non linear way of creating, probably right up your alley smile

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
After living with Josh for a fair number of years. What can I say the guy does his best work under pressure?? He waits and waits till the very last minute, and often hands up assignments with 1 hour to spare. Funny thing is he usually does quite well in them. OrangeBobo, he does have a buddy that is doing the same course as him - me, however if I "whip" him into doing his work I get told off for nagging, and it puts bad feelings between us. So I don't. I just let him perform the way he wants to. Seems to still work for him. Although I can tell you all now.. the things distract him.. they usually have the initals H.O.P or start with T or a J wink

I definetly say if you are ever in a situation where you think OMG I don't have enough time to do THAT or thats impossible!! Ask Josh, you want him on your team... to him theres always enough time to do *anything*. And he'll do it, putting in 150% effort, he'll sort you out, and he will do it very succesffully. I respect him a lot for that, however I find it a pretty risky trait, and slighly stressful. I don't work as well under pressure, I can, but I really don't like to. I freak out and get very nervous and anxious. So I tend to start my tasks earlier then the day before they are due.

I don't think your going to change Josh.......inless you fail really badly at something. Although I don't think you will. I agree with Flashy you damn sagittarian! But you can change it if you _want too_. You know that. smile

I guess the most ironic thing I find is we are studying to be teachers... and what to you remember all teachers always telling you....

DON'T LEAVE IT TILL THE LAST MINUTE!!!

guess you wont be chanting that one hey baby wink

Lots of love and hugs

ubblove hug

k8

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
HERE IS THE SECRET FOLKS!!!!

Just like most things in life procrastination has everything to do with perception of self.

Go away on a good nonsectarian silent meditation retreat for around about a month. (There are a lot of really good FREE retreats that are offered all around the world). Choose one that involves at least 10 hours of meditation a day. When you come out of the retreat you will have an entirely different level of awareness of yourself and thus an entirely new perception of who you are. One month is usually enough even for even the most hardened procrastinator.

Here is one course I can recommend from personal experience.
https://www.dhamma.org/

It is time well worth spent.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
lol - well I sit here after doing the two assignments, and I *think* I did ok. although I have to point out that I think I would have done much better if I had have put in more time.

I think the thing with procrastination is it requires a very fine judgement on the length of time a task requires to be done to a given level of success. With research in my areas of knolwledge (Psych and Sociology) I can judge down to the wire what I need to do and how long I'll take. The dangerous part is when Im doing something new.

Anyhow - I dont feel too bad...2 hours sleep. Sometimes I think I'm getting too old for this, and other times I think Im getting better at it ubbloco

Thanks heaps for your support ppl! hug

and special thanks to you Katinca ubblove

Josh

--

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
a few things i learnt, cos i have exactly the same problem.

- the hardest part is starting. force yourself to sit down for an hour, and as you go on its easier to keep on going.

- set yourself small targets and rewards - like, if 'i get this section done, i can spend 15 minutes wasting time on HoP.'

- identify when you are wasting time. you do NOT need to clean your room or re-sort your cd collection when an assignment is due.

- buy a calender. put it on your desk wall, and when you get the assignment, map out what you need to do, and when.
once youve written out a project plan, its easier to go back and fill in sections / order thought.

i never said these ideas work 100% of the time, but they do help.

good luck! hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: BurningByron

HERE IS THE SECRET FOLKS!!!!

Just like most things in life procrastination has everything to do with perception of self.

Go away on a good nonsectarian silent meditation retreat for around about a month. (There are a lot of really good FREE retreats that are offered all around the world). Choose one that involves at least 10 hours of meditation a day. When you come out of the retreat you will have an entirely different level of awareness of yourself and thus an entirely new perception of who you are. One month is usually enough even for even the most hardened procrastinator.

like a cronic procrastinator is ever going to get around to doing that!

I'm an expert at cronic procrastination. I'd write a book about it, but I have so many other things to do first...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
"Never put off until tomorow what you can get somebody else to do today."

heed these wise words as read from shiney neon keyring.

Love is the law.

poi_playerBRONZE Member
121 posts

Posted:
I cant help but procrastinate, but i seem to do my best work when i'm under pressure. I actually see a lesser quality in something i start weeks before. Is there something wrong with me? confused2

by the way ado-p, great quote clap

If you're a pyro and you know it, clap your hands!
clap clap

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
i will give you my secrets to beating procrastination....later.

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
kate take all joshs toys away and dont give them back until hes done all his homework biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FirePhoenixnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Right now I have 5 assignments to do, and one of them is to fully structure, learn and plan teaching a lesson to some 17 year olds. The others include writing a computer program, documenting how I'd install a network, and tonnes more on systems analysis.

What worries me is that they're pretty much all due on the same day and I just cant sit down and work frown Damn meteor obsession frown

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
From 'How to do Just About Everything' - the best book ever written, about actually everything..

#20-Break the Procrastination Habit

1 Think about why you procrastinate; Are you afraid of failing the task? Are you a perfectionist and only willing to begin working after every little element is in place? Are you easily distracted?

2 Break up a large, difficult project into several smaller pieces.

3 Set deadlines for completion. Try assigning yourself small-scale deadlines: for example, commit to reading a certain number of pages within the next hour.

4 Work in small blocks of time instead of in long stretches. Try studying in one- or two-hour spurts, allowing yourself a small break after each stint.

5 Start with the easiest aspect of a large, complex project. For example, if you're writing an academic paper and find that the introduction is turning out to be difficult to write, start with the paper's body instead.

6 Enlist others to help. Make a bet with your family, friends or co-workers that you will finish a particular project by a specified time, or find other ways to make yourself accountable.

7 Eliminate distractions or move to a place where you can concentrate. Turn off the television, the phone ringer, the radio and anything else that might keep you from your task.

Tip: Remember that progress, not perfection, is your goal.

(I can't reccomend this book enough! Hope this helps smile )

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

FoeHammerBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
If you manange to think about all that you will end up 'doing just about nothing', pretend the due date is a week earlier and then work towards that date, then redo it having thought wow, i still have a week and 24 x 7 hours of sleep.

smile

Anger Is A Gift

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
one word..... exams........

frown mad angry mad frown

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
urg - doing it again smile

no I will start this assignment right now and not come back on here til the first draft is done. ok.

Josh

--

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i can highly recomend solitaire!

15 posts

Posted:
la la la.... tongue

hope you doing better than me Josh hug

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
lol well I'm back - all done smile

with all of 2 hours to spare, but at least I got a dcent nights sleep smile

Josh

--

15 posts

Posted:
is it worrying that i pull up this thread from the depths at 5am and one of the people who last posted was me?

eek

Page: