Page:
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Okay,

I sat down last night to watch COL5 and have made some notes on each performance. If you performed on COL5 and want my constructive criticism, let me know and I'll tell you my thoughts, either on this thread or via PM - you choose.

My overall impressions -

Fantastic to see the young ones giving it a go! I think enouragement awards should go to both fire fairy and hannah. I was particularly impressed by hannah - way to groove baby! Fire fairy had a great flowers and a nice TTN. Good stuff smile

I was a little disappointed by people's lack of effort in terms of presentation. I think that if you're entering a video for international viewing, a bit more thought should be put into location of filming and costuming - shorts/ trousers and tshirt really takes away from the performance when viewed on film. So does a crappy location (like infront of a fence or surrounded by uncut grass). But, that's just my opinion. I loved Yayoi & Brother and Son - beautiful backdrops used for awesome and fluid twirling.

What on earth is going on in the UK?! You lot are crazy technical! Personally, I found that the technicality was often at the expense of fluidity of movement, but again that is my bias coming into play. I personally like a dancey fluid style of fire twirling as opposed to a 7 beat shoulder wrap with a BTB horizontal buzz-saw.... but hey, I'm old school.

I'd also like to say that if you're doing any sort of acro (as simple as getting onto ground and getting back up again) - please perfect it before you incorporate it into a routine. Also consider the timing of your acro - doing a bend-back or horse-stance style squat is pointless unless you can hold it for longer than a second and do something good with your fire toys whilst holding the pose.

Same for synchro moves - simplicity is the key here, and if you haveb't got it down 98 - 100%, practise more before incorporating into a routine. And, if you're doing synchro moves, then breaking off into some freestyle moves make it obvious. Otherwise it looks as though 1 person is trying to maintain the synchro routine whilst the other person has turned around and is stealing the show!

I liked the way Fire Trinity had 2 background people doing simple yet effective moves whilst in the foreground the performer was showcasing. Effective and balanced use of space and performers.

2bags is the craziest individual I have ever seen - foot staff!? wow!

Jools was great - quirky, cute, technical yet funky. Nice one.

I got plenty more notes on everyone (both positive and constructive) - let me know if you want my humble opinion!

Overall, it's a great teaching aid and will inspire most individuals to learn more and practise more.

I'd really like to see a more professional approach in the next COL though. Costumes and venues please people!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[I'm just timestamping the first time I'm reading this thread so the Coroner can piece together the details preceding my untimely bludgeoning. wink ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

lets hear it mr NYC....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
this is what you get for not entering...... no dvd! lol

I was gonna get this one proper costume and stuff, but i was working, so no dice.

next year i hope to have a really really heavy video for ya, then we'll see!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Snap judgements (I've only seen it the once):

Overall, I liked it. All of the videos were at least of a good standard, certainly better than CoL4. Highlights for me:

Fire Sisters - beautiful presentation, simple yet interesting spinning. Paddy's a lucky man!
Jools - ubblove funky tech spinning. I think I'm in love!!
The Amazing Rubber Heart Duo - brilliant! Something unique, so different from where everyone else seems to be going with staff at the moment.
Yayoi (Firebandit) - really liked the effect on the flames, pity I couldn't see what you were actually doing!

I'll have to go back and watch it all again on a better screen, couldn't make out a lot of the details on the laptop, so I'll probably add a bit more later.

The only real criticism I have is that I think the USA was way over-represented, and (hate to say this) but there wasn't much that I would call hugely distinctive from any of the USA entries. That sounds rather harsh - there was some good spinning there, don't get me wrong, but I felt that there was very little to separate them all in terms of style. Maybe having only three or four entries from the states rather than 11 would have been better, allowing for a bit more diversity in the vid. Fire gloves, though - nice!! devil

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

LeifGOLD Member
56 posts

Posted:
You make it sound like all the USA people were selected becuase they were from the USA. For some reason I doubt that this was realy a factor in the selection of the videos themselves.

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
maybe malcolm's a closet republican ubblol

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ow

I think the USA was way over-represented, and (hate to say this) but there wasn't much that I would call hugely distinctive from any of the USA entries

I'd have to agree on this and with some of what durbs said to but not quite so much. I think I expected more, not that I was disspointed but knowing what I've seen posted in the vid forums a whooe lot of people must have simply not entered if the chosen selection was this.

Props to everyone involved, a thoroughly enjoyable time infront of the telly thanks to yous biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
just got my copy. my favourite bits:

- the three person moves in the fire sisters' video

- one wheel dave's beautiful throws

- the filming and flow of yayoi - the way it's filmed makes it really difficult
to see what's going on, which should be annoying, but i thought worked
really well. and their style is entrancing

- jools' flow. lovely ubblove. who is this jools person? why haven't i met them?

- glittergirls' poi and hula hooping, and she does some interesting tricks

- rubber heart duo - lots of cool stuff, but particularly the staff juggling and
passing

- the split-time mouth butterfly in eternal collectives' video (and the song)

and cheers to anyone who said they liked mine ubbrollsmile

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
i liked yours but then again i had already ssen it before col5 came out. so ha!!!! congrats to fire fairy and hanna jackson for being so involved in poi at such a young age, even thou im young too. but that is not the point.

i agree with every ones view on yayoi. very nicely done. that one guy at the end who had the fog machine, why the girl on the trampoline?!?!?!?!?! i dont get it. o well

eternal collective, amazing tricks and i love the song. i love it!!! awsome vid.

now about ow's post. i think you are just saying this because u dont like the usa. the usa guys in it were amazing. all of them, are really good and deserved their spots on col5. i dont belive u should com[pare them against each other and say that there wasnt muich diversity. if you really look at poi-ers, we all are the same in our tricks, we jus do them differently. dont say we americans didnt deserve all the spots. who cares what country we are from. al that matters is that we all love poi and we should all just forget race and country and get along.

props to fire siters, sista firewire, and onewheeldave.

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Argh! Still haven't seen COL5 but from what I've heard I'm super excited to see it. Thanks for all the kind words for Eternal Collective, I'll pass on everything I've heard to the other members of our little video...

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
wait is eternal collective one person or a group?
EDITED_BY: \\\\Blades Of Grass//// (1099798298)

I start it, I end it,
Got big plans,
blood stained hands

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
i had a quick look at it and enjoyed these..

2bags - had that certain craziness that i appreciate

thai tom - it was really nice to see him on this vid

anthony donelli - made me laugh in a good way. i mean the girl on the trampoline and the fast music video style editing in the forest was just something else..

brother and son - really smooth

what i was hoping to see on col5 was lots of contact. and some staff juggling, which i guess only 2bags did a bit...

and they cut out the intro of our vid! (well, we gave permission to do it)
we'll post it on www.rubberheart.com next week.. you can also see the sequel to the col5 video which was called "soy on everything part I" there..

thanks to malcolm for a good video and everybody who participated.. see you on the next one?

Point your toes.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Eternal Collective is a group, three of us were spinning in the video.

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
o. i couldnt tell. lol. i couldnt see the faces and yall had ur shirts off. good tricks thou. who did the fire whip

I start it, I end it,
Got big plans,
blood stained hands

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hellos

I finally got to see col 5 over the weekend - massive congratulations to everyone involved - the standard was really high and it was a great mix of professional and 'random' spinners, some great tunes also biggrin

Andy (Brother and Son) - ohmigod!! You legend! That was absolutely stunning, really well done... you definitely have my vote biggrin
I'm sure I said to you before, but it's incredible how you move. Mucho congrats and it was beautiful to watch, thanks (where'd you film it, btw?!)

Also, congrats to Jools, Rubber Heart Duo, 2Bags and onewheeldave - it's amazing what a few years of dedicated practise and hitting yourself on the head will do biggrin

Take care
Clare x

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ditto

Love is the law.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
Oh, its sounds so amazing and exciting. I can't wait to get one. No, really I have the patience of a flea!bounce bounce2 We are getting one, right? Our video got on, so we get a copy, right. Please tell me I'm right. help

Pupils of Confused Contact and Dirty Socks, thank you for your kind words about our fire sister video. thankx

linda, the shorter fire sister

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Don't you just love it when people don't fully read posts and then make wild assumptions based on absolutely nothing at all??

Written by:

now about ow's post. i think you are just saying this because u dont like the usa.

God, that's right! I really hate the place. That's why I've been over there twice in the past year. Just to demonstrate just how much I hate it, and everything that comes from it. Including half my family!! Where the hell did you get this idiot notion from??

Written by:

the usa guys in it were amazing. all of them, are really good and deserved their spots on col5.

Read my original post. I did say that everyone on the video was good at the very least. Amazing is perhaps overstepping it a bit, but then I guess I have had the benefit of meeting some truly incredible spinners over the past few years.

Written by:

i dont belive u should com[pare them against each other and say that there wasnt muich diversity.

I wasn't comparing them against each other; I said there wasn't much to separate them *in terms of style*. I still hold with this. Moves aren't really worth much unless you have some coherent, distinctive way linking them all together. I would rather see videos of people who are doing simple things in a new way than people do reasonable things in much the same way as many others.

Written by:

if you really look at poi-ers, we all are the same in our tricks, we jus do them differently.

My point - I didn't think there was that much difference in the way people did their moves compared to what I have seen over there.

Written by:

dont say we americans didnt deserve all the spots

I wasn't saying that. I don't know what the standard of the other entries was like. Off the top of my head, I would quite like to have seen Highly Flammable's entry, which I believe won a local film making competiton, and I can pretty much guarantee would have had some quality, diverse and unique spinning on.

But then, I guess that's just what I would have liked to have seen on the video. Which is why I posted in the "CoL5 - my verdict" thread. To give my opinion. Not to be shouted at by someone who obviously knows nothing about me just because I happened to say something he didn't agree with.

J

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well put Mr Confused smile

And I'd just like to say that of all the cool spinning on that vid, such as RHD, Brother & Son and various others whose names I can't remember off the top of my head the person I am most jealous and envious of just has to be Fire Fairy wow I was amazed, that girl is gonna be soooooo baddass by the time she's 18 she'll be unbeleivablely fantabulous ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i saw bits of col 5 the other day and a liked some of it, brother and son was a big stand out for me its the sort of thing that you could have playing in the background that would set a nice mood to the room with the way it was shot, was a very arty piece with beautiful rythem and flow i liked it alot id love to see a whole dvd with this sort of stylistic nature to it.

2bags your rubbish and you know it kiss

RHD your in a league of your own absolutely amazing stuff

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
So... how do we put in our vote??? confused

We didn't get a voting form with our DVD... did anybody else not get theirs??? smile

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I was wondering about that - no voting form either.

J

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
voting form. huh? well i guess i didnt get one eh?

I start it, I end it,
Got big plans,
blood stained hands

Russian_WulfgarSILVER Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
I believe we are supposed to vote in this forum, by posting who we liked the best. Here are my notes from my second viewing, with the audio down (even though the music was great, it's distracting when I'm trying to take notes on the technical stuff). I judge mostly on moves I haven't seen before and the dance kind of style I like.

Four Star ratings go to: Jools, 2 Bags, and Glitter Girl. I've never seen anyone do poi and hoop at the same time, awesome. Excellent differently-timed moves and loved the style of dancing with the poi. Jools-smooth, fluid, graceful, fast, a pleasure to watch. So many different moves, I can learn a lot from her. 2 Bags-it never occured to me to do the one handed BF in each hand, and then to come up with so many different things to do with that! That combined with the whole foot weave on skateboard blew my mind away.

Three Star ratings go to: One Wheel Dave and Thai Tom. OWD had excellent releases and catching both poi in one hand, hadn't seen that before. He is a master of all kinds of releases. Tom-interesting grab and hold the chains move, crossing of the arms move, nice snap release and especially the mouth release.

Two Star ratings go to: Fire Sisters, Heraclitus, Brother & Son, Atef & Altamash, Samnash, Anthony Donelli, and Eternal Collective.
Sisters-good use of fire fans, something less ordinary than I've seen others do. Acrobatics were a nice touch, synchronization getting better (also need better lighting).
Heraclitus-good extra beat weaves.
Brother & Son-everyone else here loved the cinematography. I'm sorry to say I'm the only one who hated it. I couldn't see what you were doing! Black silhouette looks pretty, but not much help to those of us trying to learn. (Same problem with Fire Bandit, that's why he got no stars from me.) But besides the cinematography, B&S was fluid and smooth and had great interlacing of poi. You definitely would have gotten Four Stars if it had been lit better so I could see it all.
Atef & Altamash and Samnash had nice duet work.
Donelli was fast, graceful, a martial arts quality I liked. Fire gloves and smoke poi -nice! Hadn't seen that before.
Eternal Collective had nice catch & grab move, good stalls, great mouth BF. There was some bad lighting and worst of all was the MTV style editing.

Below is my personal opinion on seeing dance (or poi) presented visually on film or video. The choppy, intercut one tool with a different tool and back again, MTV style drives me nuts. I may be old-fashioned, but I like to see the whole move completed. Or the whole tool presented and not cut up with another tool put in and then back again. As cool as choppy stuff looks for that grab-your-attention effect, and that has its place in the video/film world, I just happen to like seeing the body do the work. That's just my preference.

All in all, a great COL5, I will definitely learn a lot from it and I do give congratulations to all those who made it in. It's a beautiful piece of work and I can see it's only going to get better every year. Thank you HOP, and I hope you put out an Advanced Poi video sometime!

Russian Wulfgar
SnowFire Troupe, Milwaukee, WI USA

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
oops, sorry that was prolly me that drove you nuts...
I am only an egg.
oh well! redface

I can't wait to receive my copy, think maybe it's lost in the mail? It was mailed around Oct 21st and still no sign of it?! But then, the mailman didn't come down my street yesterday because of the roaming german shepherd and pit bull pair that were terrorizing the neighborhood.

*stomps foot impatiently, again*
(need new shoe soon)

I AM working.

joolsSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone, Jools here.....thanks so much for the compliments on my video. I really enjoyed watching COL5 particularly...........(in no order of preference!)....2bags, Rubber Heart Duo, Thai Tom-(i was on the park today,where were you?) and Brother & son (mr box! -hey how many aliases do you have Andy?!!!) Cheers, Jools x

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
your video was sweet. i actually think all the videos were kick ass

I start it, I end it,
Got big plans,
blood stained hands

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

off the top of my head the person I am most jealous and envious of just has to be Fire Fairy I was amazed, that girl is gonna be soooooo baddass by the time she's 18 she'll be unbeleivablely fantabulous

soo true.
and she is soooo eager to learn new tricks. Such a sweet little one and I am always blown away when I see her becasue she always has about three or four new tricks.

we play trick for trick when we spin together and if she sees something that she likes and doesnt know, I show her how to do it, and within a week she has it down pat.

I love her!!! ubblove ubblove

Rubber heart has my vote!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Awww... I take it that means we can't vote?!

Oh poo. Oh well, Brother and Son has my non-vote anyways...

Good luck for Friday poiples biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Respect to Brother and son
very very good mate ,
wow angelblue bounce2 bounce clap clap biggrin
Cool.

Page: