Page:
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Okay,

I sat down last night to watch COL5 and have made some notes on each performance. If you performed on COL5 and want my constructive criticism, let me know and I'll tell you my thoughts, either on this thread or via PM - you choose.

My overall impressions -

Fantastic to see the young ones giving it a go! I think enouragement awards should go to both fire fairy and hannah. I was particularly impressed by hannah - way to groove baby! Fire fairy had a great flowers and a nice TTN. Good stuff smile

I was a little disappointed by people's lack of effort in terms of presentation. I think that if you're entering a video for international viewing, a bit more thought should be put into location of filming and costuming - shorts/ trousers and tshirt really takes away from the performance when viewed on film. So does a crappy location (like infront of a fence or surrounded by uncut grass). But, that's just my opinion. I loved Yayoi & Brother and Son - beautiful backdrops used for awesome and fluid twirling.

What on earth is going on in the UK?! You lot are crazy technical! Personally, I found that the technicality was often at the expense of fluidity of movement, but again that is my bias coming into play. I personally like a dancey fluid style of fire twirling as opposed to a 7 beat shoulder wrap with a BTB horizontal buzz-saw.... but hey, I'm old school.

I'd also like to say that if you're doing any sort of acro (as simple as getting onto ground and getting back up again) - please perfect it before you incorporate it into a routine. Also consider the timing of your acro - doing a bend-back or horse-stance style squat is pointless unless you can hold it for longer than a second and do something good with your fire toys whilst holding the pose.

Same for synchro moves - simplicity is the key here, and if you haveb't got it down 98 - 100%, practise more before incorporating into a routine. And, if you're doing synchro moves, then breaking off into some freestyle moves make it obvious. Otherwise it looks as though 1 person is trying to maintain the synchro routine whilst the other person has turned around and is stealing the show!

I liked the way Fire Trinity had 2 background people doing simple yet effective moves whilst in the foreground the performer was showcasing. Effective and balanced use of space and performers.

2bags is the craziest individual I have ever seen - foot staff!? wow!

Jools was great - quirky, cute, technical yet funky. Nice one.

I got plenty more notes on everyone (both positive and constructive) - let me know if you want my humble opinion!

Overall, it's a great teaching aid and will inspire most individuals to learn more and practise more.

I'd really like to see a more professional approach in the next COL though. Costumes and venues please people!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmmmm, now I'm even more impatient for my copy to turn up! biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ooooooo foot staff cool, what sort of foot staff ? mullens? lynxs? foot fishtails? teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell me pwease smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I was a little disappointed by people's lack of effort in terms of presentation. I think that if you're entering a video for international viewing, a bit more thought should be put into location of filming and costuming - shorts/ trousers and tshirt really takes away from the performance when viewed on film. So does a crappy location (like infront of a fence or surrounded by uncut grass).................

............I'd really like to see a more professional approach in the next COL though. Costumes and venues please people!!

I think a lot of entries tend to be not ideal due to lack of time. Partly down to bad planning/time management I'm sure, but also for other reasons.

In my case I had no camera and had to enlist the help of someone who had- due to the fast approaching deadline all the footage had to be filmed in one session.

During editing 'Premier' decided to play up big style- strated crashing every 2/3 operations; in total I spent 8 hours making single changes, saving the changes, then it would crash and I'd repeat the cycle.

I was happy with the actual visuals, location etc, not so happy with the sound track, which was originally going to be flute, but the mike wouldn't record it properly.

So I switched to guitar but, after the prior 8 hours wrestling with premier, I was in that state where it's pretty much impossible to play for four minutes without making a mistake. In the end I just took a successful shorter clip and doubled it up, which wasn't ideal.

I think it's apparent from another COL thread that a lot of other people would have liked to get an entry in,, but simply couldn't sort it out before the deadline, so I think it's safe to assume that many of those who did get an entry in similarly suffered from time constraints.

I think you're right in saying that many COL entries don't look particularly professional, but then COL isn't really, at this stage, meant to look professional.

I suspect that future COLs will edge more towards it though, due to a combination of lots more people registering on HOP, and therefore being more who have good equipment and adequate time to put together really nice looking vids; combined with the fact that people are probably more likely to win if their entry looks professional.

I do like to think though, that there'll always be room for individuals whose lack of access without access to flashy vid equipment, quite possibly wearing everyday clothes, who make up for it with the skill and originality of their spinning.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
............and I'd say to anyone wanting to enter COL 6, it would be a good idea to start work on it now smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ditto and ditto Daves previous post especially the last paragraph. Pro looking clips are obviously good but 99.9% of spinners here do it purely for fun, not for a living etc. Plus folks generally don't have access to cameras/time/experience so yey to t-shirts, quality spinning and undesirable backdrops biggrin So long as it's a healthy mix wink Not that I should comment as I haven't seen it yet, so can you hurry along my order for COL5 please, I placed it 5 whole mintes ago and it hasn't arrived yet ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
erm,

I like looking at some uber spinner in front of the fence in his back yard. Its makes it look more attainable...

Really looking forward to this.

Love is the law.

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
as a firm believer and dedicated practitioner of the crappy
location and t-shirt and shorts style of twirling video, i'll
have to agree with onewheeldave on this one. i think people
buy col (or at least i do) to see cool twirling, as opposed to
nice places to go on holiday or interesting fashion statements.

ben-ja-men are you sitting down? i'm afraid i don't do any foot
staff. sorry frown. i'm doing a poi weave with my feet. i feel quite
guilty now 'cos you sounded so excited.

and please post any further criticisms of me flash fire. although i'm
afraid i prefer technicality to fluidity of movement so i guess that
might be one smile.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i feel so cheated and lied to ubbcrying 2bags i expect you to be doing foot staff in the next col or else ...... wink

those who have seen it does anybody do foot staff stuff or any particularly cool contact in general?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ben you are addicted to contact ubblol

Tiz good biggrin

Although you probably wont see it for another 5years wink

(thought id say it before you lot did) ive got some real sweet contact footage of Olis mate dave who can control a stick on the back of his neck like no-one ive seen, he will be in my next staffz vid - due out xmas ubbrollsmile

honest ubbangel

& yes i am evil cool

oh and as for 2bags - nice to see he is still living up to his reputation - last time i saw him he was spinning 2 poi in each hand, while weaving with his feet, rolling off into the distance laid on a skateboard ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yeah well u know contacts where its although i feel contact is going to start a synergy with dancey styles ever so soon. what movements of dave have u got (is it prophet?)

not only are u a bad man your a tease to muuuuuuuuuuuuuch worse than me. ive got some cool new tricks ill show u at sheffield?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Prophet it is, i agree on the dance style kreeping in, it kinda has to for continuous contact to work properly biggrin

As for new trix to show - im sure you have, as have i wink

However im real sorry to say that im moving house this weekend (landlord wont budge on dates) so i cant do shef frown

So can you take your camera with you so i get to see at least some of it - oh and make sure you come stay at my new gaff for a few days before you head home - we have big house with plenty of room for a ben-ja-men and his sticks biggrin

Have a good one m8 and ensure you dont teach FNF any new contact - coz remember, she doesnt like it wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

What on earth is going on in the UK?! You lot are crazy technical!

we can't help it! its all the goddam jugglers...

jugglejugglejugglejuggleweavesmileyjuggle

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: 2bags

as a firm believer and dedicated practitioner of the crappy
location and t-shirt and shorts style of twirling video, i'll
have to agree with onewheeldave on this one. i think people
buy col (or at least i do) to see cool twirling, as opposed to
nice places to go on holiday or interesting fashion statements.

ben-ja-men are you sitting down? i'm afraid i don't do any foot
staff. sorry frown. i'm doing a poi weave with my feet. i feel quite
guilty now 'cos you sounded so excited.

and please post any further criticisms of me flash fire. although i'm
afraid i prefer technicality to fluidity of movement so i guess that
might be one smile.

Right - let's just clarify one thing here. I already know some good holiday locations and certainly don't need fashion advice from a bunch of poiple - I was saying that I personally would like to see more consideration being placed on the entire package. I'm sure you'll understand when you sit through the 90 mins or so of the DVD, a little bit of considered variety would be nice. I'm not saying that there wasn't any. I'm just saying that I would have liked more.

And yeah, I totally hear what you & OWD say about finding it difficult to get your act together in time to actually submit a performance. There was a reason I didn't submit to COL5 - I'm inherently slack. So, congratulations to everyone, despite their clothing and/or location foibles, for getting their act together in enough time to meet the deadline. biggrin

Sorry for mistaking the foot staff. I honestly thought I saw you doing it when you were on the skateboard.

I'm surprised at the level of defensiveness that my critique seems to have perpetuated. Maybe I'm just blessed to live in such an amazing country full of costume-clad spinners ubblol Anyway, should I get my act together in sufficient time for COL6, feel free to rip me to shreds if I make it onto the dvd.

*digs out notes on 2bags*

"double poi = awesome, 3 staff juggling really well executed, loved the unicycle meteors and you're officially crazy with the burning bike/ double poi combo! Way to be ultra coordinated!"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ill be interested to see the footage of prophet i only got to see him spin really briefly at falmouth. forget ur sodding house where are ur priorities ubbloco ill definately be takin my camera and i believe a mr durbs will be to so no doubt loads of footage will come of it.

dont worry i wont teach FNF or anyone else for that matter any new dark jedi contact unless they bear the mark of the dark lord barney or puff the magic dragon.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
it's cos I'm a girl isn't it? tongue tongue ubbangel

people like costumes more in Australia - i'ts true....
I like t-shirts and gardens.

***off topic***
Prophet (loverly mister Dave) is such a jammy bugger. I am utterly jealous. Mainly cos I got him into staff, went away for a year and now can't even get my head around the most basic of his necky-contact-hot-[censored]-uber-moves. He came to my garden the week I got back and wantered about with a staff spinning and rolling happily on his shoulders as if it lived there........not fair *wahhhhh*
***back again***

I don't think people were being defensive - I think they just didn't get so bothered by the lack of costumes and cut grass. Like Dunc said - most of us don't do it professionally so don't attatch the same importance to perfection and presentation and stuff. Although these are obviously important when you are entering a video competition, I think that it's ultimately the spinning itself that should be focussed on. I already feel that the level has gone too high for me to enter - I don't want it to get any more exclusive.

smile

see you in Sheffield! biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Can you give your opinions on Eternal Collective? I'm in it, but have yet to actually see it. I can't wait to find out what it was like! The filming was over half a year ago and I have no idea what my spinning was like back then, or how the film turned out, or anything.

LeifGOLD Member
56 posts

Posted:
Written by: MillenniuM

Can you give your opinions on Eternal Collective?

I thought that there was a very nice balance of diversity as it came to equipment and moves with some underlining sense of style inherent in the whole clip. Also big props for the guy with the "no handed butterfly". It was my first time to see someone else ever perform this move, and their teqnique looks much better than the nodding version.
Props for a good job weavesmiley

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

LeifGOLD Member
56 posts

Posted:
I was wondering what the deal with the interlacing on the Rubber Heart Duo vid was all about? Couldn't this have been fixed?

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
i guess it was a matter of ntsc and pal convertions. the dv-recorder was pal, i put the video material on computer as ntsc (or whatever the other option was) and that f...d the quality. my bad...

antti, rhd

Point your toes.

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
i ordered my copy and cant wait to see all of the performers. i think flash fire is right. people should at least were something a little respectable. it doesnt even have to be like designer clothes, just catchy like 2bags awsome puplr hoodie complete with hat!!!

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
My verdict... Brother and son... eek ubblove.

The location... the style... the fact that he looked like he was in a meditation more than spinning... the perfect blend of tech and flow... hats off. clap

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Ditto to that Arsn. I have an asterix next to 3 performances, and Brother & Son was one of them.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
my verdict? also brother and son, and two bags
you guys ROCKED my world..

also thai thom... was the first part of the video filmed at Burleigh heads? cause if so Arsn and I feel ripped off that we didnt get to meet you. hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
(this is a messag to 2bags) YOU DID IT STEVE!!!!!!! YOU HAVE CHANGED THE WORLD WITH YOUR 4 POI!!!!!! \
thanks you.
that will be all
-miller

I start it, I end it,
Got big plans,
blood stained hands

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Originally posted by PupilOf2Bags
(this is a messag to 2bags) YOU DID IT STEVE!!!!!!! YOU HAVE CHANGED THE WORLD WITH YOUR 4 POI!!!!!! \

... wouldn't this have been better off as a pm if it was "a messag to 2Bags"??? confused

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
i thought the video was amazing
such talent and skill

i was truly awed for an hour and a half

i really feel like my should not have been choosen

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*is in a grump as his copy hasn't arrived yet*

frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
not sure who to vote for, but stand out performaances were definitely:
- rubber heart duo for being freaks wink
- jools for looking so damn smooth and cool smile
- 2bags for some trippy [censored]
- brother and son - for a beautiful style, location, and general visual effect.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
Written by: arsn

Written by:

Originally posted by PupilOf2Bags

... wouldn't this have been better off as a pm if it was "a messag to 2Bags"??? confused

lol your right. he rarely checks messages thou. just posts moatly. lol

I start it, I end it,
Got big plans,
blood stained hands

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dentrassi

not sure who to vote for, but stand out performaances were definitely:
- rubber heart duo for being freaks wink
- jools for looking so damn smooth and cool smile
- 2bags for some trippy censored
- brother and son - for a beautiful style, location, and general visual effect.

ditto

Although I have to say that on-the-whole I was a little dissapointed with COL5 overall - I've always thought of the COL series as a kind of "where it's at" video, showing the general level of spinning around the world, but in terms of progression, the difference between 2 and 5 is pretty negligible (except the above mentioned)

I agree with Flash that presentation standards were a little low on some vids - no tripods, poor lighting, dodgy camera work, dare I even say some sketchy spinning... Compare this release to some other "extreme/alternative" vids (Uni-cycling, juggling, surfing etc) which are pretty much along the lines of "take a load footage of us doing what we love, edit it nicely and voila" and the difference is huge.
If you're planning to film an entry and you mess up - surely you go back and film again?

OK, this is a little harsh, and probably unfair especially as I didn't even enter, but 3 years down the line from COL2, I really was expecting something more...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: