dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Ok, not that its happened to me...

Has anyone got a flashback in the middle of a burn?

It would be scary I think!!!

Just want to know as my hallucinogen uptake is going to increase threefold in the next two years...
So I want to be ready if anything like this happens... I tend to enjoy my flashbacks but what if I'm spinning.. then BOOM! acid flash back...?!

Ciao, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
*starting to think she's the only person on this entire website who does not take any kind of drug at all anymore* Yay for the past 6 months of purity! Hmmmmmm........... how surreal. What an odd ball I am.

Never had flash backs whilst spinning. I used to get real head fuck flash backs when on acid *looks around to see if Os1 has appeared yet, he seems to at any mention of the word 'acid'* but that hasn't happened for ages.
I'm starting to think my whole life is just one big flash back thought. What a bizarre concept that is, that life is just a 'flashback'.

*walks off into the corner to play with her own mind a little bit more* See this is why I DON'T take drugs anymore. Fresh air screws me up enough!

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well Dibs if you dont count Alcohol as a drug then I have been drug free for 21 years !!!!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
For some reason I don't see Alcohol as a drug, when it blatantly is. It's never refered to in that way. Society seems to block that out. Funny what we can do if we try....

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I personnaly count Alcohol, Caffine & Nicotine as drugs, pretty feckin' harsh ones at that.

Just my opinion though.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The research I've seen indicates that flashbacks aren't a side-effect of drugs, but rather of traumatic experiences. Almost everyone who I know who has had a flashback has also had a bad trip.

People who have never used a hallucinogen but have been alcoholics can have flashbacks. And my father, who drinks in moderation and has never done any other drugs has flashbacks from WWII.

Flashbacks aren't an inevitablilty, but if you aren't careful with the way that you do hallucinogens (ALWAYS make sure to use them in a safe place, for example), then you are inviting flashbacks.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
by what most people consider a flashback (the drug becoming active in your body again) it is practically imposible according to the information I've read on erowid.

most people are under the inpression that acid stays in the system forever, but it doesn't. it is actually one of the quickest to get out of your system (12-24 hours), and as for psilocybin, its water soluble so it gets out in a few days. I'm not sure about mescalito, thats one I haven't researched, but since it is water soluble as well, I'd imagine it is the same as psilocybin.

if you are really concerned about getting a flashback while spinning, just dont use fire for a couple of days after consuming something, and you should be safe.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Our highly reactive metallic friend (Sodium) is correct.

There was this myth about LSD getting stuck in your cerebrospinal fluid forever. You completely regenerate your cerebrospinal fluid 3-4 times every day. It is unlikely that any LSD would be detectable in your cerebrospinal fluid more than a day or two after you take it. In fact, the way that LSD works is that it binds to serotonin receptors. The vast majority of the drug never even gets into the brain. Those few molecules that are bind to the serotonin receptors stay there with a half-life of about 4-5 hours.

There is no evidence of any organic damage being caused by LSD at even quite high doses. It does have a lethal dose, but if you took that much (a few grams, as opposed to a few hundred micrograms) you'd want to die, anyways.

That said, flashbacks (called hallucinogenic post-perceptual disorder) do happen, but they can be caused by almost any traumatic experience, from war to sexual abuse. I don't feel like writing another scientific review right now, but if you do your hallucinogens right, flashbacks may not be an issue.

Also, while I haven't seen any research to prove it, I feel like mushrooms are probably less likely to be associated with flashbacks than LSD. Call it a hunch.

-Mike

jexXymember
37 posts

Posted:
Is that the case for schrooms as well? mmmmmmmmm shrooms........

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, I have done acid more times than I can count (more than 10, anyways) and shrooms more than I've done acid. I've had ONE really bad trip (I smoked pot after I thought the acid had worn off while all the way across the Playa at BRC....and the acid hadn't worn off...and I had to find my way home across a mile and a half of desert while hallucinating so bad that I thought parts of my body were disappearing).

But I've never had a flashback.

-Mike

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm... Interesting...

*rubs chin in best greek thinker pose

Well... I dont really understand...
I DO get flashbacks... It is obvious that the drug doesnt suddenly come back into your system for no apparent reason... As that is physically impossible...
My flash backs are more like BOOM I feel (my mind) that I am on it for a brief period of time... I find these moments very very fun and to be honest I cant say I've ever had a bad experience with drugs (chemist friends and reasearch help )... So I'm not sure if I buy the 'traumatic experience deal...

Anyways I'm just unsure of the effect a flashback could have in a fire spinning situation...

Much love to you all, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
well done to Jexxy for thinking that shrooms were some how different to mushrooms (aside from the obvious m and u lacking).

Meh

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I have been eating acid for about 7 years now, and I would venture to say that I have tripped my way damn near into the quadruple digits. I ate close to 300 hits last year, often 20-40 at a time. Even done bumps of "Fluff". And I have never experienced a true flashback, save the amazing "perma-fry" residuals (never look at a white wall the same way again!) and the occasional "Star Wars light speed" stuff where you see thousands of floaters for a minute or so. I won't go so far as to say that it can't happen, though. Everyone is built a little bit differently, and they react to chemicals in different ways. My ex would eat one hit and go into her own catatonic little world for 6 hours. I know it doesn't stay in your system, but I do think it can reprogram the way your brain acts. Especially if you eat a lot of it. I think that point is different for everyone. It's like the old urban legend that if you give a puppy or a kitten acid while they are still young, their brain will kind of incorporate it and learn to act that way for the rest of it's life because they are developing so fast at that stage of their life. Now, I'll say this...I don't advocate this!!! It sucks to be stupid enough to forfeit another beings right to free will so you can play God or get some kicks. I don't do it, and I have chastised people for doing it and even considering it. But...I have had friends who have done this, and it seems to be true enough. One cat and one dog that I know of are way weirder than what they should be. It does effect the way your brain works. Sometimes just on a larger scale. Anyone who has ever done acid probably has their own version of how they feel like they may have "changed" after they did it. Eh. I know it has affected me, but I also know I am still a sane, rational person with a good possesion of higher brain function.

My advice is this. Enjoy the freebie! If it's too overwhelming, put the poi down and have your spotter put them out. Then sit back and enjoy the ride!

Oh, and I think there is a difference between an acid flashback and a traumatic flashback. Just similar terminology. You were right on the head about what you said Mike, but I think it's probably two different things. Just my two cents.

[ 17 July 2002, 20:38: Message edited by: glowshow ]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~