Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
laugh3

do you juggle at all tom?

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I know it's not a new 'move', nor have I 'learned' it really...

But in my quest for being silly, I have a pretty solid 'looking' pattern with 5 clubs.... lol

Ok, so seriously, I got 6 throws and 3 catches.... Not bad right? Considering I can't actually get more than 20 catches on a good day of 5 balls... lol

Back to practicing.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I qualified 8 balls.

Synchronous.

It was an ordeal.

Juggle 'til I drop!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!

I just got my best run of 5 balls - 34 catches but it wasn't all cascade, needed to throw in a multiplex halfway through after a terribly slack throw gave me little time to maintain the pattern, but I got it back which made me feel good grin I shall nail 5 balls this year! all weekend teaching workshops gives me plenty of time.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
man, ive been throwing up the 5 clubs for what must be nearly 3 years now, with a break of practically no juggling for a year there somewhere and ive only made it past 50 catches once. its gradually gettin better but it needs practice daily...i havent tried it in over 2 weeks.
ive learned loads of poi tho: cateyes, some new throw patterns, and lots of practice on stalls and flowers. thats the advantage with poi - you can keep advancing and still practice indoors at home (coz the weather is never stable here and proper indoor practice space is hard to find)
EDITED_BY: 81LL (1247587318)
EDIT_REASON: clarification

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I did 18 catches of 6 synchronous kneeling in my living room, but I think that was because the height was exactly right, all the balls bounced off the roof back down so they all had the same height which kept the pattern relatively stable.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Is it technically bounce juggling if they hit the ceiling?

(Oooh, that's deep)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
if you imagine yourself juggling on the opposite side of the world while you're doing it it kind of is smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
makes the pattern look perfect, maybe I can patent the "learn juggling ceiling" where you can raise or lower a board to the number height you want to juggle and just throw the balls up wink

So nw I have to go to Oz to say I've done 6 ball bounce laugh3

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
LoL. Funny idea.

Just make sure to include height instructions for different patterns.

5 ball shower is a 'bit' taller than a cascade... =P grin

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
running 5 clubs is my long term juggling goal. I can nearly run four at the moment, so my goal is probly a long way off yet...

J

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
My 4 clubs is a joke I just can't get the smooth movement through the air I get with 4 balls. any tips on 4 clubs welcome wink

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Isn't 5 ball shower technically either the same height as an 8 ball fountain or a 9 ball cascade depending on whether you're throwing (8x,2x)'s or 91's??!?>?!>? [/pedantic]

Edit: I think I might be a victim of internet sarcasm here. smirk

Anyway, I've been working some 6 ball things:

([6x6],[4x4])(2,2)* - really easy but really awesome.
2 rounds of 777771 during base pattern.
1 round of 888831 during base pattern.
1 round of 8844 during base pattern. (-probably a few rounds synch).
1 round of 9555 during base pattern.

Aaaand I've got over 100 catches of 6 fountain on three occasions now. I think my max was 119.

Want b97531!
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1250163856)

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Bwahaha! Managed to nail some stuff.

Mills Mess (needs to be smoothed out and cleaned up), claws are getting better (I can do a cascade using them for a while), I can throw a random chop into the cascade, false shower, both half showers are pretty solid now, managed to flash 51 a few times (but my 5s are horribly inconsistent so that needs work) in LH version (not tried RH yet), have a one arm high one low cascade solid on both sides, columns are still eluding me but I can throw a couple in every now and again.
Um.... 423 is less solid than it was, which is annoying since I am trying to get Burke's Barrage but having trouble with the third ball (the one that does the 3). I can also do a couple cycles of the Box, but my 4s are far too low due to panic and rushing. Need to work on it.

And I have now reached the same point as I have in poi, namely I am the best I know of around here.
Still, am stoked. grin

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Well done dude, I got my best run of 4 ball mills this week. 41 catches and have been working on various body catches with 3 & 4 balls.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Got b97531!

How are you flashing 51 aston?

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
As in three throws, three catches. Unless I misunderstood the terminology....

Am trying to get a complete cycle so I end how I started, but having trouble. Will work on it during the week.

I am getting a lot in due to being able to carry three balls more easily than my poi.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
got my first 50 catches 3 in my right hand and 30 catches left hand. I can see where I need to work.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I don't know, I find it odd to talk about a flash of an excited state pattern. You're probably actually flashing the first 4 digits of 52512 or something - from which you can go into 51 but I'm not sure if it is technically a flash of 51. I'm not even sure if the term 'flash' can be applied to an excited state pattern. If it can then the entry throws are almost certainly not counted as part of the flash. So, you could probably throw 52515 (of 5251512) and the 515 part would be a flash of 51.

I could be talking rubbish but it seems to make sense in my head. crazy

I usually think about counting siteswaps in terms of rounds so if I go 3334512333 I can say I did one round of 51.

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ah.... That makes sense. (I actually understood a thread with siteswaps in, should I seek help?)

I am starting it cold though, two balls in left, one in right and trying to get back to that position. So far I have gotten to throwing three from my left and catching everything, so making progress.

edit:
Just clicked: I am doing 52515.
EDITED_BY: aston (1251183034)
EDIT_REASON: clicked.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
is that a valid pattern?

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ya, it is. Start with two in left hand, one in right. Throw two 5s with left (holding the one in right, hence 2), 1 with right, 5 with left.

It can be done continuously too, according to my simulator. tongue2

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Yep. It's a legit way of getting into 51 (and the way pretty much everyone does from cold) just not tecnically a flash (I think). wink

I'm glad you brought this up aston. I've been having fun with some related sequences.

There's probably even more fun to be had... ideas?

Edit: Just did ...555975317536456456456456475397531555... give or take a few 645's. shocked
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1251218176)

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice work. Some cool looking patterns.

Will work on them at some point. smile

Still need to smooth stuff out and work on transitions and such.

Any advice on getting the box solid? And how much higher should 5s be than 3s?

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
(4,2x)(2x,0) is a pretty effective 2 ball drill for box.

Having a syncronous shower - (4x,2x) - on both sides will also help a great deal.

411 or anything at all with lots of 1's or 2x's is good practice too. - Developing a fast and reliable 1/2x throw is probably the trickiest part of basic shower and box patterns.

As for 3's and 5's (having had a good look at mine) I would say a 5 is roughly three times as high as a 3. i.e. if I juggle a three ball cascade at around nipple height my 531 reaches a bit above my head and with my 3's as low as possible a 5 hits about chin level.

Basically all you should worry about is the rhythm of your throws remaining constant.

But y'know, as a guide about 3 times as high is probably about right. Trying to make the difference as pronounced as possible probably won't hurt though, especially with only three balls. If 5 is the highest throw you're dealing with then if you throw too high you only have to wait a little longer for it to come down, whereas if you throw too low then you've got collisions on your hands.

So, uh, yeah, throw higher than needed to begin with. smile

Sorry, I rambled on a bit there.
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1251234653)

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... Thanks. Will work on getting that throw down solid.

I can do the 2 ball drill but I think (after looking at it again) I am panicing because of the 2x and the whole pattern is far too low so I am trying to rush. Will focus on getting my 4s higher.

Thanks also for the advice on 5s. smile

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, I've been away for a while, good to see you're all still as geeky as when I left grin

My juggling is going nowhere recently, too busy working on next years BJC to find time to actually juggle. Although I managed to get the new 3b trick I've been thinking of for the first time on renegade at 1am!

After seeing Komei in the public show over the weekend I've been inspired to improve my 3 & 4 ball stuff, was working on shadow passes yesterday and got ten continuous grin grin

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I just looked up "shadow pass" - that's pretty intense.

What was the new 3 ball trick? Is it a secret?

Juggle 'til I drop!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I just can't describe it. Its a kind of multiplex backthow / flower / contortion / 360 thing. If you make it to brizzle (hint hint) I'll show ya smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
any chance of a video? I'm enthralled by this 3-4 ball manouvre as I've been working on different 3 ball techniques when I'm bored practicing 5

Page: ......