Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > alternating butterfly for beginners

Login/Join to Participate

Newpoistnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
ok, i just started yesterday an i can do the normal butterfly but im having a bit of trouble doin the alternating butterfly, the lesson on this site is a little bit confusing for me confused
Can anyone give me any pointers?

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
ok this may sound wierd but, lean forward at the waist till you are looking at the ground, then try it like that, once you can do it like that, just stand up...........i know this sounds difficult, but thats how i learned how to do it

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
'n' wiggle your arse lots.

Seriously.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
this is how i teach it:

practice with one poi at a time to start off with.

as the poi is getting to the top of its circle smoothly flip your hand over your shoulder so it's now facing palm up.

then, when it reaches the bottom of its circle behind you, flip your hand back to your front, so it's facing palm down again.

practice that for a while then, when it feels comfortable, try it with both poi at the same time (overhead butterfly). Watch out, that can tangle easily.

Then try it so that when one poi is in front of you, the other is behind. one hand flips forward while the other hand is flipping back over the shoulder.

that help any?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Simian..

Did you get teh wrong end of the staff???

erm..
stick?

Doesnt he want to know a split time butterfly?

aka

Alternate butterfly?

umm

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and im presuming he is a 'he' and not a 'she' there.

3,149 posts

Posted:
no.

a split time butterfly is a butterfly in split time

but an alternating butterfly is a butterfly that alternates tongue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
but you're right that he's a he

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
As you once said Monkey man..

"names are arbitrary"

I used to call a split time butterfly a banana split until someone pointed out that it looks nothing like a banana...so i started calling it an alternate butterfly.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
In whihc case, wiggling your butt isnt going to help at all.

But may feel nice.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Newpoistnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
yes, i am a man- Its ok now, I worked it out after I posted- I also worked out the butterfly behind the head (yey). Now Iv just got to work on that mexican wave thingy- thanks anyways.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I was also having trouble with this move... as I kept smacking myself in the head... I now think it may be because of how I was moving the Poi to behind my head... Simian, thanks for your explanation, I will try that and see if it works, thanks

3,149 posts

Posted:
Woo! i'm doing the "i helped someone learn alternate butterfly" dance! See me dance! Yeah! Doo doo do do chaaa!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
wait... I went outside and tried it, and still couldnt work it out... almost hit myself in the head... I dont think I am moving my arm back enough... gotta go outside and try that now...

3,149 posts

Posted:
i've stopped dancing frown

you're trying one poi at a time to start with?

and try to go slooow...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
yep, one Poi at a time... and I am going as slow as I can before they stop moving or move badly....
Couls the fact that I use sock Poi and not proper Poi be a problem here?
I tried moving my arm back more, but something didnt feel right, felt like I was still doing it wrong... *cries* why cant I get this right???

3,149 posts

Posted:
ahh don't cry

when it goes behind you your wrist should be above your shoulder, and your palm facing upwards.

Try just doing that and spinning a circle behind you, then smoothly flip your arm & wrist forward on the upswing

edit - i'm going to bed now, let me know how you do smile
EDITED_BY: simian (1096253245)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
OK, I wont cry... but maybe I cant get it coz I am un-coordinated.... and I am understanding what you are saying, I just cant get my hands, or the Poi to do what I want them to do... I think I need some one on one help frown this is one of the simple moves and I cant get it... man it is frusturating...

Starting to think I might need one on one help here.... redfacethanks for trying to help me though Simian.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
well... I complained to the right people, and Piper is going to help me out one night at Venturers... thanks dude.
And if we dont get a chance on a Venturer night.. there is always VG...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
YEAH!! weavesmiley (ooh... never gotten a chance to use him before)
I went outside this morning for a practise... and I almost have the alternating butterfly and the overhead butterfly nailed (I think) no idea how I did it.. but it was really close... my only problem is while my hand/s are behind my head they are fine, but as soon as I bring them back to the front, everything stops... anyone know why? or is it I just cant concentrate on both things at once?