Forums > Social Chat > Things you beleived when you were a kid...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I so love those stories

In French we use the same word (CROISSANT) to describe the moon' crescent (is that the correct word ?) and those lovely pastries called croissants... so when i was little, I used to always thank the moon for making me those lovely croissants I had for breakfast

how about you ?

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
thats sooo cute!!

when i was little, my mother used to tell me that my hair wouldnt grow long if i had split ends and didnt get them trimmed..
So as a result, i believed that hair grew from the ends rather than the scalp

Fire... A bushmans telly

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
On a tangent but when I was a kid we had our two story house and the only toilet was down stairs. Concinved that there was something in there, I belived that the moment the toilet started to flush the monster would wake up and start climbing out so I always had to be at the top of the stairs before the toilet finished flushing. It was a fight for my life everytime, but hey it did get a good laugh from my mother and sister. They would hear the toilet flush always followed by the rapid pitter patter of little feet running up stairs, at least it was'nt hiding under my bed.
Gluck T.

"......and god created lighter fluid."

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Many moons ago, when I was but a nipper, I used to believe that my sister could call in the sea to wreck my sandcastles.
It probably had something to do with the fact she was dancing around my freshly built castle shouting to the sea to come and destroy it

I was obviously too interested in digging holes and building castles to listen to anyone trying to tell me what tides are

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
When I was little I was convinced that if I covered my eyes with my hands, other people couldn't see me. So I used to do really naughty things, and when my mum would tell me off, I would stand with my hands over my eyes, thinking it would confuse her, because I believed I was invisible if I did so.

I also used to think I was magic and could talk to water and trees. I used to live in Wales in the middle of nowhere, and used to go off (dressed as a fairy like a little hippie kid, equiped with my wand - which was actually a twig, but I was convinced that was realy magical too!) into the fields and forrests and play in the trees and streams and stuff. I used to go and sit in the stream and talk to the rocks and tell them stories. I used to climb the trees and talk to them too, about my adventures. And I knew they would never tell anyone my secrets, because they were my best friends!! awww!

I also used to think that people went to sleep at night, because that was the time when all the mystical beings came out to play. So I used to go and sleep at the bottom of our garden, and try and stay awake to see them. But I always fell asleep and missed all the magic.

Awwww so sweet. I loved being lost in my own imagination back then. It was magic and anythig could happen. Thats what I try to hold on to now I am older. My imagination is so vivid, that anything is possible in my world.

Nice thread Cass. Made me all happy!
Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I have to post this because it really amuses me everytime think about it.

My older sister used to think that 'Pigs' (as in the animal) lived up our noses!!
My grandad used to call snot/boggies 'pigs' and she got confused about it.
She was having an educational pshycology test, and when asked, "Judith, do you know where pigs live? " She replied, "Yeah! Up my nose stupid!"
LOL

So funny! Bless her.

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
My parents used to tell me that playing with fire was bad!! And I believed them!! Phsaw whadda they know!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

4,224 posts

Posted:
I so love that thread andhope you all will add stories and smiles

I used to talk to animals, plants and all that too, Dibs I even had three imaginary friends as a kid. My best friend was called "Loule" and he was actually the one to blame when something got broken or whatnot

one day I was hiding in the toilets from my parent's 'after having done god knows what) and I read this Sci Fi short story called "the fake father" about an alien eating people up from the inside but quite looking like them from teh outside... I exited the toilets after a while and I swear i've spied on my dad for days ... you know ... just chekking !!!

shine on
Cassandra

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
when I was in 2nd grade (I was REALLY gullable) I was told that the sixth grade teacher had no bum. I mean that he acutally had no cheecks or anyting. HAHA and when ever i would walk by him I would always look at his ass to see if it was true... I never really found out. And thats why I can't sleep at night

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I look at yalls childhood and then I look at mine and I wonder why I am so jacked up. I think that maybe it is because I was what some would define as a normal kid. Hmm Who knows. I never talked to the trees or animals and maybe thats why I am jacked up. *shrugs*

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Um...kids?? I'm a little confused. You keep talking about when you were kids and you thought these things.

I still believe it all now! Oh, man!!! Why hasn't anyone let me know about this?!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

os1member
101 posts

Posted:
when i was i kid i knew a lad called martin and i was his imaginary friend

when i was eight my parents moved to Derby, i was 15 when i found out where they lived

Love is a gift. You can't buy it, you can't find it, someone has to give it to you. Learn to be receptive of that gift

Cazzarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Hahahah love it!!
when i was a kid i once saw this program where this girl went to the bathroom and the boogie man came out of the toilet after she flushed it..for years it damaged me hahah and when ever i finished going to the loo i would wash my hands and then leave the flushing to last, when i did flush I would lean to the flusheer push it the sprint out of the bathroom...

..I used to believe that if you made a nastey face or soething and the wind changed my face would stay like that..because my mother used to say it all the time.

...I also talked to anything that didn't breathe..like my blankie..my stuffed bear..pretty much anything that i believed was listening oh and myself.

i was a wierd child....hmm and probably still getting wierder as i get older haha.

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
when i was a kid i was convinced that one day i would grow up

wherever you go, there you are.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I used to tell myself stories, not out loud, just in my head. But I thought everyone could hear them. One day I was with my sister, & I said she could listen to my story. She soon dispelled that myth

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
When I was a little kid I believed my toys came to life when I wasn't there and had tea parties etc.....I also believed that they had feelings and was very carefull to give them all equal amounts of love, hugs and attention so none felt left out.

In our house there was a creaking stair at night and I always thought there was a bogey man coming up the stairs to get me.

As I have got older my fear of the unknown has not left me. A few weeks ago myself and SNOOPoi went to Dove Dale (a beautiful Valley in Derbyshire) and we were in this cave that had deep holes in the walls high up and we couldn't see how far back they went. I convinced myself that there were goblins living in the holes and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. I told SNOOPoi about the goblins and she became scared too. We both ran out of the cave withour hearts pumping and didn't feel safe till we were far away. Later that same day we found a bridge under which lived a troll, but that's another story....

Are we nearly there yet?

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
quote:
I was convinced that if I covered my eyes with my hands, other people couldn't see me.
You mean that's not true!

quote:
Originally posted by dibs: I also used to think I was magic and could talk to water and trees. I used to live in Wales in the middle of nowhere, and used to go off (dressed as a fairy like a little hippie kid, equiped with my wand - which was actually a twig, but I was convinced that was realy magical too!) into the fields and forrests and play in the trees and streams and stuff. I used to go and sit in the stream and talk to the rocks and tell them stories. I used to climb the trees and talk to them too, about my adventures. And I knew they would never tell anyone my secrets, because they were my best friends!! awww!

You are magic, beautiful, and you can talk to water and trees! They do indeed listen And I believe in your magic twig wand! Man, lets play! I woulda loved to be your play friend when I was little... Still would, infact! I still talk to the ocean and the Moon... she is a particularly good listener.

when I was little....
We had a moon-roof in our car, and when we were driving along, My brother use to tell me he saw Care Bears in the clowds! And then when I looked up he told me they were gone... I'd missed them, they'd popped there heads back behind the clowds! Gullable Elke

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Oh, and Thistle I belived my dolls came to life too, (sometimes I still wonder...) They just have so much character... maybe that's why I've gotten into doll making (fairies and forest folk mostly)... I want an exuse to still be aloud to play with dolls! Kehehehe

This is a beautiful thread Cass!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
This thread explains alot of you! bwa ha ha ha (I am almost afraid of what arashi's gunna post..)
The great sage, equal of heaven has always dogged my childhood cus people have always compared my early lunatic bahaviour with 'monkey' to the point where a few people still refer to me only as 'monkey' not having known my name. Better monkey than pigsy, say I.
Tripitaka was my first exposure to the idea of androgyny.

Mr squiggle was as real as my parents. he WAS DA MAN! Seeing Dune when i was just a little fremen, and Jedi Knights as I was growing up has always left me wondering if i was born into the wrong world! Long live the fighters!

When I was smaller, I tried to imagine the concept of time, that each moment of time was linked to the past and the future - literally. I felt like hansel and gretel for most of my life - instead of leaving bread crumbs, I'd leave an invisible thread through my life. I felt that time doesn't travel backwards for forwards, it just is. It is us who will be able to travel backwards and forwards , along these 'threads.' At Primary school, i began to fret that if i left buildings, play equipment, gates from a different doorway than i had entered with, i'd tangle up these 'threads of existence' which would make my life feel proportionately tangled. This tangling feeling was quite manifest and led to a great appreciation of exploring funky new places.

Oh and I was also one of those kids who entertained the extreme possibility that their entire life could... just could lbe a very elborate Truman Show. Now I am convinced my family are not actors. It took my early D&Ms to reveal the fact that so many other people felt the same and hence it was much less likely for them to be actors....

we're supposed to get over the fear of the dark as we age,... right? :/

In hindsight, I think a cerebral childhood has led to a ruthless childishness in later life(!)

I see a great emphasis on toilets affecting people's upbriningingings!
Did you know that children are naturally receptive to spirits and ghosts because their minds have not been closed to perception yet by the constraints of society and years of upbringing? only with esoteric work (spefically or by simliar work) can you reopen your eyes. It is the innocence of childhood that they lack the internal negativity which is the single biggest hurdle in astral/spiritual work in that regard, I hope i never grow up.

....and now for something completely fat-free....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
when i was younger, i used to forget to breath, i spent 3/4 of my waking hours in some other place dreaming....... i really REALLY wish i could remember where it was so i could get back there...

i used to be convinced i was adopted. I was heartbroken when i found out i wasnt.... and then i was convinced that they were lying to me and they actually just found me on the doorstep and kept me....... still trying to figure out how to prove that one.

Silliest thing i ever believed in, was a joke my sister played on me. she convinced me there was this runaway girl who would write us letters on dried palm leaves and hide them under a rock in the garden and we would write back to her.... i would have been eight at the time. it took me about six months to catch on, and until very recently, my sister was still denying that it was her.....

Currently on the right side up of the world.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
on a sadder note: i also used to believe stuff like: people who said they loved you actually did, if you are bad you go to hell, if you ran away, some nice family would adopt you! ( i think i tried at least twice a week when i was 12)

i also used to beleive that if you thought everything was going to be ok, some how it magically would be! being an adult sucks, i miss my blissful ignorance of "reality"

Tashamember
21 posts

Posted:
I made twig wands for my 3 year old daughter and her friends a couple of days ago! There still running around casting spells on each other She has tons of toys but nothing beats stuff like that, I wish I still had that good of an imagination.

I thought the same thing as lightwise about flushing toilets too, hehehe only I thought if I closed the bathroom door fast enough the monster wouldnt be able to get out of the bathroom and would go back where he came from.

I was also afraid to have any part of my body uncovered (except my head) when I was in bed because I thought that as soon as I fell asleep a monster would come out from under my bed and bite my unprotected toe (or whatever happened to be sticking out) hehehe but as long as I was covered by the blanket I was safe.

I've had people ask me if I were shipwrecked on a deserted island, and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Flynt:
i also used to beleive that if you thought everything was going to be ok, some how it magically would be! being an adult sucks, i miss my blissful ignorance of "reality"
- Dude! (or Dudette! seeing as i have recently learned you are a female of the species)
I still beleive that, i don't think it's being "ignorant" of reality, just looking at it from a different angle. If your mindset is that everything is going to be ok, then it usually is! Being in this frame of mind alters your outlook on the world, changes the your perceptions, and in turn changes your attitude and your actions! which then in turn, usually creates harmony within the things and occurances around you! The opposite of this, is to continually worry about the "reality" around you, which creates negative thoughts and feelings, and generally closes you off to options and opportunities, and indeed, things become Not "OK"....

Bender. - "threads of existence".. very interesting concept..

You know the little buttons on the top of drink containers (like, 'diet' or 'decaf' for coffee) to let the customer know which drink is which - I used to think that pushing those buttons released some sort of magical gas which changed the molecular structure of the drink! haha, i used to always get upset at McDonalds because my sister would always push my 'diet' button! "Waaaaa i don't want diet!!!" hehehe.

I also used to love sitting in the car on long trips, crouching down so i couldn't see the road or trees, then staring out into the stars and pretending i was cruising along in a spaceship.. ahhh, the good ol' days..

- In a few years, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously, and change the subject.

[ 03 July 2002, 14:47: Message edited by: falloutboy ]

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah that thread concept still nags at me - i dismiss it nowadays as verging on the obsessive compulsive
I shudder when I head of simliar concepts - like the mother ressurection idea in AI (Suptertoys last all summer!)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ohhhhhhhh heres a good memory! when we were little, all four of us kids sitting in the back of the car, we'd get to a hill and dad would say " PUSH KIDS PUSH! OR WE WONT MAKE IT!"

we'd brace our legs on the floor and push on the back of the front seat as Hard as we could, bustin our little guts to get up the hill....

i really believed that worked for the longest time `

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I used to beleive when I was little that I had a friend who was a monster (imaginary) who used to sit in the bath all day. Mum would always be cranky trying to get me out of the house in the morning, because my monster was still in the bath and wouldn't get out! We'd almost always miss the bus - silly monster making me late all the time

[ 03 July 2002, 15:49: Message edited by: Ade ]

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
When I was really little an older kid told me that when girls turned 10 they would become boys. and vice versa for boys. I lived in fear for about a year till my mum found out and told me that didnt happen.

I also believed that all my dolls and toys came alive at night time. I used to leave them food in my tea set so they wouldn't be hungry. (the food was always still there in the morning)

I also still have the belief that everything will work out eventually. It'll all be ok. And so far it has always been ok eventually..

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

4,224 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmm.... I read and re-read that thread and have that HUGE grin on my little frog's face ...

No wonder I can't get enough of these stories... I still beleive in half of them ... at least !!!!

Anybody ? more ?

(((hugging Flynt because your story of running away really touched me)))

shine on
Cassandra

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
im eating crepes and being hugged by Cassandra.....

maybe everyfing will be magically alright again! ` ` `

"i believe in faeries, i believe in faeries...."

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I did a good thing thismorning!!
I got up and went to find myself a nice big twig. I made myself a new wand!!!!! So i can go out and play later...... who says you HAVE to grow up?!!!?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i too lived a cerebral childhood, oh bendy brother. pretty much just go to bender's thread, hit select all, and put it here at the top of mine. as a small kid, (i should have been out playing) i thought very much about infinity, and what it really is. i believed that each molecule was a universe and each universe was a molecule in another dimension. i used to float through the seas of timespace looking at stars in other galaxies and contemplating what it must mean to be in another body, like an animal. compassionate thunder-i used to beat up kids that were hurting animals like lizards or birds. i did it so they would have compassion for the pain they were causing. i believed that time for a spider was different than it was for us, since they only lived for a short time, they must experience each moment much more compact and richer than we.
i had a recuuring dream that i was an green energy bubble, much like the elongated donut shape of our energy bodies, and i was suspended through the center on a webbed framework in space, like a bead on a string. as i got older (11?)i had a near death experience from extremely high fever and had the same sensation jsut before getting better. the dreams for the most part stopped when i started to believe that they were some alien induced state, esp. after reading
"Communion" and reading him describe (under hypnosis) the same sensation when he was being abducted...
i also believed that i controlled the rain and the lightning. (still do, of course) it was one of my superpowers. another was an uncanny ability to guess the time exactly. pretty useless superpower, i know, but we can't help what we got. i was also the best street hockey goalie in the world, due to my use the force superpower.
i also thought that the government was looking out for my best interests. ha!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: