Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What defines a 5 beat weave?

Login/Join to Participate

MadMetsstranger
16 posts

Posted:
I'm really confused at the the moment after a conversation with Dragon7. biggrin
I always thought that I was doing 5 beat weaves but now I hear that what I thought was a 3 beat weave is actually a 4 beat weave and that makes me wonder what I'm doing now. So here it is how I count, and what I'm doing acording to that count. Maybe you could tell me what the hell I'm doing right now:

For every time one of my pois swing across the ground on the same side I count 1 'beat'. If you look to https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/12
I would count it as a 3 beat in that case. At the moment I swing across the ground 5 times wich makes me count it as a 5 beat acording to my counting method.

So am I totally wrong on this or am I actually making sense? I'd hate to say I can do stuff that I actually can't do afterall. confused

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
It sounds to me like you're counting it right.
The link you posted is of a 3 beat weave.

I define a beat as each downwards swing of the poi- or upwards if you're in reverse- so yeah, you sound right.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
The way I learned to count in the beat system is to count the number of beats of one poi before the pattern repeats itself.

Remember that for a "normal" 5bt you're crossing you body with your wrists wrapped around each other. And if you're going right to left your left poi is leading and vice versa.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Beats have been clearly explained in the appropriate article.

If you count "every time one of my pois swing across the ground on the same side" you are not counting beats. You are counting circles. Which is the same most of the time.

Beats are the number of circles ONE poi does before the pattern repeats, reguardless of what side of the body you're on.

Ug... wait... I think I'm gonna be sick if I explain this again.

Steel wool... need... more ... steel wool...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i don't really count my beats, i jsut do what feels natural and link it, i beleive its mroe about expression rather than total technicalities, obviously you need them aswell but i think you should focus more on enjoying yourself and do what feels natural

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I count the number of times the fire makes that russian tear drop/whoosh noise... 5 on one side... 5 on the other... look at that, a 5 beat weave.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i posted something in here all about weaves, look around, i think its a page or two back now.

anyway, from what i can see, there are two ways. one is slightly more correct than the other, but both work well, and the slightly less correct way is somewhat easier.

The way i (and, quite probably, a lot of other people) count beats is like what mand says, except i think of it as when you hit the bottom, or top, or any other part, of the circle, with either poi. this, i think, is easier, if a little less correct. works for basic weaves and stuff though.

i still dont quite get how the correcter way works.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: jaero

I count the number of times the fire makes that russian tear drop/whoosh noise... 5 on one side... 5 on the other... look at that, a 5 beat weave.

How many times does the fire go woosh in a 5 beat split time thread the needle? 10. How many times does the fire go woosh on each side in a 4 beat parallel weave? 2

Stop redefining beats. Beats are the number of circles ONE hand does before the pattern repeats.

In a 5 beat weave, yes, the fire goes woosh 5 times on each side. But that's not counting beats. That's counting wooshes.

So call it a 5 woosh weave, 10 woosh split time butterfly and 2 woosh paralel weave.

I'm sorry that I'm getting cranky but beats are DEFINED by this site and have been for years. And yet people constantly try to make up their own definitions.

If you want to make up your own definitions, please don't use the already defined word 'beat'.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MadMetsstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Shees calm down. You made your point already. I was asking what about what i did wrong with counting. I got my answer. Thank you. Now if it bothers you so much that others please themselves by doing a different count they find easier to work with, then stop paying attention too it. No need to get grey hairs over this. umm
EDITED_BY: MadMets (1092064777)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nope... I was born with grey hair and I've got grey hair still. smile

As for me, I'll just be counting the minutes until someone posts this exact same post again.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MadMetsstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Well then maybe it's about time someone made a sticky note about how beats should be counted. Still, I fail to see much differents between counting both pois under one arm or count one poi under both arms. Ever seen someone do a 4/6 beat instead of a 5 beat? But if it means so much to you, I'll stick with the normal count from now on. So here it is: I do 5 beat weaves! 1 poi, 2 times on one side, 3 on the other. wow

MadMets, pure madness since 1984.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We don't do sticky notes. We do articles. If you'd have done a search as required by the site rules you'd have found all you needed about beats. Including my countless other posts stating the same thing I'm stating here.

If you do split time butterflies, or parallel weaves, your count will be different. You can also do weaves at different speeds with each poi. And then you can get into the chaos that is hyperloops. All of which will severely foul up any other definition of beats.

If you don't do splittime butterflies, paralel weaves, assymettrical moves or hyperloops then any old definition of 'beats' could work but it doen't make it accurate, helpful, or consistant with what everyone else is talking about.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MadMetsstranger
16 posts

Posted:
If doing searches was foolproof, you wouldn't need a forum to ask questions. You'd have a faq instead. Try searching for 5 beat weave and you get 500 replys of witch maybe 5 will actually have the answer you where looking for. It's rather timeconsuming looking through each and everyone of them.

MadMets, pure madness since 1984.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
On the home page of this site there's a link called 'glossary' which, if you click, will take you to the article defining beats.

I did a search for beats and found a huge amount of replies, most of which linked to the definitive article. Like THIS ONE from last week.

Posting redundant questions because 'doing a search is time consuming' is rude. Not only that, it's against the rules that you've agreed to by posting. Then again, reading those is time consuming as well. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MadMetsstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Doing a search is the basic rule for almost all forums. I'm not new to it. However I've excepted the fact that most of the time, this doesn't happen because of the thing I talked about earlier. Others do it quite often and in this case, I do it aswell. As a matter of fact, I did try a search in the forums but didn't find anything describing my exact problem. And the artical section is even new to me. That's the handicap of being a new member and not knowing my way around yet. You could save yourself alot of typing and anoyance by just typing: Look here: 'Link'

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I did that for a few months, then switched up my style. Next month maybe I'll go back to that. But I feel that other people do it so much better than I do. That's more of a Mand thing.

I also wanted to explain my frustration with the situation rather than just enableing lazyness. Which I think I did.

Off to make soup...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
yeah. the 5 beat actually has each poi do 2 rotations on each side which equal 4 for all you idiots. the 5th beat is the one where your current leading poi goes to the other side. weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You're wrong.

A 5 beat weave has 5 beats.

Do a search.

Read the article.

Watch the videos.

And please don't call us idiots.

And welcome to HoP.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

But I feel that other people do it so much better than I do. That's more of a Mand thing.

What's more of a 'me' thing? confused
It's too early in the morning, and I'm confused.

off to make coffee

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i reckon it means nyc likes your 5bt weave mand smile

this means they are probably very pretty cos nyc has seen lots of 5bt weaves and he chose yoo to say 'this person does em good' ubbrollsmile

drink coffee and you will wake up and be less confused, but while your waiting for your eyes to open fully, trust me and just smile at the compliments... smile

off topic: i hope you're juggling hard still biggrin juggle biggrin
if you still don't get siteswap, i found this nice and simple article that explains it pretty well and uses far less confusing language and a simpler explanation structure compared to the faq i sent you before.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I thought he meant posting handy links when people should have done searches was more of a mand thing (though I am sure your 5bt is indeed beautiful)
now I am confused

and I don't like coffee :|

tea then, ah yes......

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes indeed...

Spending the time to do searches and post links for others and not getting frustrated when people post the same question multiple times.is more of a Mand thing.

At least that was the Mand thing that I was referring to. I'm sure Mand does other things well as well. Including but not limited to her poi spinning.

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
sits in the corner, now being very confused!

errrr... you wanna know the ironic thing?
I don't even know how to post links to things! ubblol
I have to tell people what to click on and where to look, to get to the same place I found things.

Anyway, whether the compliments were for this or my beloved 5 beat weave... thank you hug ubblol

Oh, and Coleman- yep, I'm still juggling hard, and now trying to learn bounce juggling. Still confused with siteswop, but I'm sure I'll understand it eventually. biggrin
Thank you my lovely. hug

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Yes indeed...

Spending the time to do searches and post links for others and not getting frustrated when people post the same question multiple times.is more of a Mand thing.

At least that was the Mand thing that I was referring to. I'm sure Mand does other things well as well. Including but not limited to her poi spinning.

hug

*snickers and bites lip* I.....think I'll keep my mouth shut on this one. wink biggrin wink

bounce ubbloco bounce

ubblove kiss ubblove

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.