Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > im looking for some fellow dutch spinners

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
frown hi there,

hey, is there anyone on HOP who is currently or shortly will be living in holland? just moved back home and i havent found the spinning community yet confused

spinning on my own is fun, but, ya know, i gotsta find some, umm, colleagues (?).. identify yourselves! im lonely ubbcrying beerchug

ThomasfireKing of potatoes
169 posts

Posted:
I can't make it to Groningen anyway guys. But I have a question for all of you:
I't'll be my birthday soon, and I'm throwing a party at the Vondelpark (including fire and everything so we won't freeze to death) and I ws thinking it would be a cool thing to combine it with a meeting, so all my friends can also see what it's all about...and that way we'll have some audiance! (is it written like that?) It just a thaught! Anyway, it's the 19th of februaru, so that's in a while, but lemme know what you think! There will be booze and food ofcourse ;-)

Thomas

Moondancemember
65 posts

Posted:
Nice Thomas, but unfortunately i have to work that night so i won't be there all night. Have you got permission to make a fire in the Vondelpark? Otherwise the police can come and complain about it and finish the beautiful flames... Would be nasty!

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
nah, they don't care about the fire
just about noise
we've been spinner there quiet often, with police passing by, and they would only talk to us about the music, never about the fire.

how are your staffs moon? if you are planning on doing contact with the long one, I can give you some thread to make the handle better for it (like I did on mine)

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
hey pOp..

just a little side note, i decided to make my own staff.. except it will be one piece, which is anooying, but i can live with it.

thomas: that sounds like an excellent idea.. count me in. i know spinning fire is fine, dunno about an actual bonfire tho, like a kampvuur. they might get etchy about that (etchy??? wtf is that? dunno, just came out)

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Helleuh!

Where do I usally go?! Well, to be honest I've never been spinning in Groningen, so I don't know, if you have any plans: tell me!!! And if anyone could come along, that would be cool ofcourse, but it is indeed a long ride, so if I'm only with peeps from Groningen that's fine with me as well >

A birthday combined with some fire?! Sounds like a nice plan, if you have nice friends ofcourse smile... It's jotted down in my agenda, so keep me informed! [ Maybe I can do a half hour cocktail juggling as well ^_^ ubbangel ]

Greetingz,
BPJ

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

Bra-QSILVER Member
92 posts

Posted:
Maybe we could poi in Oosterpark. Or else i have no idea where we could meet. Anyone any idea's? ezeeckiel any idea's?

Or maybe Noorderplantsoen?

Kim@nlBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
Hello people,

When is this meet in Groningen gonna be?? I'll be in Groningen on friday 4 feb and saturday the 5th. Maybe I could join you guys.
Noorderplantsoen is a nice place to spin I guess. It's easy to go to the Grote Markt by public transport and then walk down the Ebbingestraat and you are at Noorderplantsoen!
Kim weavesmiley

Bra-QSILVER Member
92 posts

Posted:
The meet is on the 3rd. And Grote markt is also easy to walk to. I just don't think I've ever been to Noorderplantsoen, so is it really a good place to spin?

169 posts

Posted:
The Oosterpark is better, but I think it's aliite risky at night, when it's dark really. It's afavorite place fo all kinds of nasty types to hang around. I mean, speaking from experiance, I libe two blocks away. but on the other hand, I don't know what they'll do if they see a buck of people playing with fire :-)

Thomas

p.s :
Written by: Parliament Of Peace

how are your staffs moon? if you are planning on doing contact with the long one, I can give you some thread to make the handle better for it (like I did on mine)

I would like that!

Thomas
EDITED_BY: Thomasfire (1106514376)

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Ha!!!!!

I think I just came up with a birthday present for you!! rolleyes

meditate eRic.

Moondancemember
65 posts

Posted:
The staffs are wicked!!! And yes, would like to have a contact handle on them, for i still want to learn it all! I'm work on it everyday!
Besides that i've started to learn a little about Marshall arts especially in dubble weapons... Handy information that is!
ubbrollsmile

Moondancemember
65 posts

Posted:
Martial arts that is.... redface

Kim@nlBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
Yeah!! More people doing staff!! ubbrollsmile
I like poi but I learned staff first and still like it best. But reading previous posts, it seems like my staff is pretty long: 1.50 meters. I do need some new wick, cause mine is old and there is not enough on there to give real big flames. I would really like to make a detachable one, but I don't know how! I do know you need a safety thing around the screw-part (mm, this is not really clear, is it?). Anyway, it's because it can unscrew during spinning otherwise.
But in short: I'm looking forward to meeting you all to learn some new tricks (and maybe even teach some?).
Kim@nl weavesmiley

ezeeckielmember
32 posts

Posted:
Hi !
I don't know much about the place where we can make some fire in Groningen, i've been there for only 2 months and nobody but crazy people would make some fire when it's so freezing nooo? hehehe

I'll ask about the places you told.

Olivier

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Heya, what's that contact thread you're talking about, is it comparable with grip tape or am i completely lost?

And 1.50 long?! Well, for contact it is quite a good length, a little on the long side but still quite usable... And about screwing together: the 'click'ssystem [van ziekenhuis-gebroken-been-krukken] is often used... Not pwetty, but it does the trick... [No idea where to get such a system though...]

Moondance: is that information about double weapons usefull? The Japanese weapon handling is not very fluid [well, thought from the basics], and no flourishes like movies always contain... The Chinese handling always looks more fluid though, but still not juggling like in my idea... If you like it you could 'Durbs' for ropedart btw...

Written by:

The Oosterpark is better, but I think it's aliite risky at night, when it's dark really. It's afavorite place fo all kinds of nasty types to hang around.

How cute, Groningen and Risky biggrin tongue. But maybe I'm judging to fast... Still, i don't foresee much troubles with a park in Groningen... Ah well, tell me what you've found out about spinning places there...

marco.cjmember
126 posts

Posted:
I used that click system for mine too,. in Alkmaar there is a camping-shop that sells the click thingies for 20ct each.

I used 20mm aluminium tubing, found at Karwei and 16mm aluminium tubing also from Karwei. The 16mm slides perfectly into the 20mm tubing. I you use silicon spray to lube the two pipes up then you'll also be able to slide them out of eachother again. Mine got stuck when I forgot to lube it first,.. they fit together just perfect then.

I did not make the parts scewable becouse the click system holds everything perfectly in place.

marco
EDITED_BY: marco.cj (1106606009)

~Look into the sphere Sarah,.. it can show you your dreams,...

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
hmmm, the click system... I'm not really for it...
when doing contact staff, you want your staff to be the same width on the whole length... and nothing sticking out. and I don't think you need to secure it when you screw it together: you'll find out soon enough when it gets wobbly, then you just stop and make it tighter again. works fine on mine.
the thread that I'm using is waxed thread, such as they use to stitch the soles of your shoes up. and I wind it around and back up the grip tape that I make from hockeystick griptape. the thread is only there to prevent it from sliding down when it gets slippery from the parafin, it kinda works like a snowtyre would work on a car.
my staff is 150 cm as well. a good length I'd say.
my previous one fell apart because i made the threading inside the staff myself, and did it out of center, so it got wobly after a while, now I'm letting a metal workshop with proper tools do it for me for the staff I'm about to make this week or so...

I'd like to see other people's home made detatchable staffs as well though... maybe we could start a gallery with people's firegear, with a cemetary section as well ubblol

and now back outside for a snowball fight...

meditate eRic.

Mickey_DMember
84 posts

Posted:
well you could saw a tube in half attach a smaller piece on one inside the tube.. create the click system (or any othe type) on the other end, and thus creating a normal staff , you might have to check out the balance before you set yourself on fire though.:p

but i agree it gets wobbly after a while (or is straight from the start)(the click system that is) unless you get a perfect fit... and even than..

if you say the screw type gets wobbly as well i believe you. though i havent seen it as yet... also ask te 2 groninger guys they have both created a screw detachable staff. and it looks good imo

If you cant dezzle them with brilliance..
Confuse them with stupidity!!

(it works)

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
no, it doesn't get wobbly, just mine did
and that was only because I cut the thread for the bolt myself, by hand, without using a bench-screw so the whole thing wasn't perfect, some thread was too loose that way.

meditate eRic.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
start of the gallery:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

now your pictures....

meditate eRic.

Imperistannewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Hello Guys,

I'm a dutch starting spinner, introduced to poi by Telpeva Isil. I met him at a performance of him, i came to talk about contact juggling. He did some poi, and pointed me to this website. Now i'm starting to hit myself in the face with soccer socks 'n tennis balls. lol.

What ever, I may be able to come to a meeting after the zomervakantie, because then i get my OV-kaart.

Imperistan

Hooray. Another dutch Poier...... smile

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Hi Imperistan,
I know you to from cj.org.
I also have seen your cardmanipulation/CJ vid.

But Ladies and gentlemen. When is the next meeting?
I have seen some ideas, but nothing concrete.

I also have an idea: I'm going away for a weekend in february to Driebergen/Doorn. In that neighberhood. Maybe we can meet in the woods there. It's a beautiful park and if my girlfriend wants it to we can meet there.

I'll be seeing you,
Greetz,
Fiery Fuero

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

Kim@nlBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
Wow pOp/Eric, those pictures are awesome!! I bought mine in Australia and the wick is non-existing compared to the amount of kevlar on yours! Nice collection though. I will make a picture some time, bigger chance you'll see it before I make the picture though!

Written by: Telpeva Isil

How cute, Groningen and Risky biggrin tongue. But maybe I'm judging to fast... Still, i don't foresee much troubles with a park in Groningen... Ah well, tell me what you've found out about spinning places there...

Tsss, how dare you making fun of Groningen. Never heard of the Oosterpark-rellen. Anyway, Groningen rules. I still think the Noorderplantsoen is a much nicer place to spin, since it is very easy to get there by public transport/by foot. The Oosterpark is further and I don't like the atmosphere in that area. Just thought of another option: the big park (no trees though), it's more like a 'grasveld' at the start of the Korreweg. With the big 'stones' in them which you can roll.. hope you Groningers know what I'm talking about. Or even at Nieuwe Kerkhof.. in the yard of the church.. don't know if the police will really like that though.. [censored], I wish I could be there!
Kim@nl weavesmiley

Bra-QSILVER Member
92 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about Martine kerkhof. The big advantage is has over Noorderplantsoen is that we could easily take shelter when we're cold or if it starts raining. The problem is, it will be koopavond, so we could get a lot of people watching, including police, and I'm not sure how they're gonna like it. And I know where the big park and nieuwe kerkhof is, but i've never been there, so i don't know if there will be a place to take shelter.

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
If you want to be sure you can spin in Groningen, you can contact the fire departemnt and ask them about permits and stuff. If the police shows up you're prepared.

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Imperistan: Welcome to the club, nice to see you here!!!

POp: Damn, you got a lot of fire tools, and the amount of kevlar on your staffs is quite Huge I can say... [never knew you did club-juggling as well, you should bring em along someday]

And informing the police about a nice cute fire meeting? We never did that before :/... That's quite official...
Driebergen, how well is that reachable with public transport? Sounds nice, but also sounds like taking much time of your weekend... [Poi-vacations, book your midweek or weekend now!]

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
It will just take off some time off my saturday or friday night.
It seems cool, to poi in the forests in a clear spot.

It's quit reachable with public transport. De sneltrein to Arnhem en Nijmegen stops there regulary. It's about five to ten minutes from Utrecht Central. So we will see.

Let me know what you think.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
hey! I never said they were all my tools.... they are just pictures I took.

the first picture is a picture from all the tools we used in the show we did on the leidseplein, so all of our tools combined. we used to place them like that to build a crowd. people get curious when you do stuff like that.

the second pic has none of my tools on it. when half of flame oz was in amsterdam they did some street shows there too, but because you need a licence, I was always there to pretend I was part of the crew so they'd have my licence.and these are all their tools.

I just really liked both pictures, like I like this one: shopping for a nice night out:

biggrin something healthy, something not, and a lot of lamp-oil!

Non-Https Image Link

PS: in case you wanted to know, my tools at that time were:

3 long staffs, 2 short staffs, 2 pairs of poi, a pair of double poi and a pair of poi-ropes.

isn't that enough?

meditate eRic.

169 posts

Posted:
Hey Pop, Eric, those are really cool Pics, did you say you did the show yourself? It reminds me like hell of Steve. But he never used a fakkel did he? I don't remember seeing tis how, but I have the feeling I see myself on that picture, the guy half covered by the fire, at the right :-), did I?

Thomas
EDITED_BY: Thomasfire (1106774170)

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
No, I didn't say I did the show myself:

Written by: Parliament Of Peace

hey! I never said they were all my tools.... they are just pictures I took.

and you are right about seeing stevos stuff in there. it's when we did the show with stevo and the israeli guys.

the fire clubs we used as a campfire at the start and to run around with, and light the first poi or staff.

stevo was working on juggling with them though, he was good enough, but didn't want to do it in a street show yet...

this perticular show I wasn't in (I think I only did 2 shows with them), because I was taking the pictures that day (and as I remember: some drumming because the day before they got arrested again) but that might have been another day too.

meditate eRic.

Page: ......