Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Staff kicks, leg catches and leg throws

Login/Join to Participate

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
This has been done before, and to me it evolved as an old school trick, but as far as i know its not being talked about much...either that or im a bit slow ubbloco wink

Something to open afew minds, those like me, unlucky enough to have to figure most stuff out for themselves. Hell, im just learning stuff Arashi was telling me about 2 yrs ago. No cryptic stuff here...thou if your like me it'll take 2 yrs to just get what im trying to say now. wink biggrin Hopefully u can figure some of your own ideas out.

Just put the staff between you calf and hamstring muscles and pinch it there. Say right leg as an example. And stand on 1 leg, the left. Now the staff can either be, infront or behind that left leg.

So i start jumping it (left leg jumping over) and then trying to throw (leg throw) it into the air infront (while both legs are airborne) ubbangel and catching it on my foot. Or throwing it behind and catching it with other leg.

U can also, kick it. Either while its between your legs or off your foot, and even get some rotation. I was trying to get it to (contact) roll down my back and catch it again with my leg. And also was trying to contact roll it BTL from 1 leg to the other with afew little kicks, which for some crazy reason feel real natural. If any of you play hacky sack (footbag) then u'll find this easy. Just playing with different parts of the body to see what reaction u can get. Going from (front) knee throws into foot catches is nice smile

OK thats about it, nothing outta this world, or so new that its breaking new ground but for any of you staffers who are stagnated right now, its a little something to keep u interested. And hopefully u can figure out something you can call yourown meditate

EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1087298248)

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Yes mate, like it! Think I might get grazed knees, though, and look quite silly for a long time, but hey, that's what life's about, isn't it? biggrin

I was not-quite-getting-round-to posting my little version of this, which is:

starting with the staff in your right hand, bring it btb as if you were going to do a tummy roll, but instead let it drop down your leg, and catch it in the back of your knee as above. Flick it back, and as it comes round the back, kick it up with your other foot, so that it comes up to about head height in a helichopter spin, and catch it. Mmmm, quick and cheesy, do it with a grin on your face biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
lol nice smile I'll have to try that, Hey u catching bth or in front?

oh I forgot to post the throw/ foot kick into spining back kick leg catch, tho to get that clean, and looking good is another topic wink

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
my memory is a bit hazy, but id recommend searching for two moves that may be of interest.

'the lynx' and 'the mullen' i think both involved leg work - but i may be wrong. id normally search for it myself but im feeling lazy at the moment.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dragon7

lol nice smile I'll have to try that, Hey u catching bth or in front?

Mostly "outside the shoulder", or using my patented "one hand ground pickup". But just as it's coming over the shoulder is my favourite.

Dentrassi (slacker! tongue wink )

[Old link] and [Old link]

Both seem nice, probably painful. Gives me something to try at lunchtime after making huge blisterholes in my hands yesterday frown

monkeys ate my brain

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Just found this also, that is pretty much what i was talkin, minus the spining kick catches wink oh and knee throws ubblol

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
and the caspers and shuvits... Thats crazy, doing skateboard tricks, but would look damn cool!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
oh yea sry to those guys who started those other threads, i honestly never read them. And wasnt trying to steal your fame and glory smile Proves great minds spin alike wink and i spend way more time spining than reading. biggrin

Though for me the #1 sin is letting ya staff touch the ground!!! Im sure u can shove it while its in the air, hmmmm ubbidea

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Similar to what you're talking about, I think.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
letting one end of the staff touch the ground opens up loads of sk8r b0i type things... shuv-its are just the beginning. you can spin around balanced on one end, stand it up vertical and climb up it, lay it on rails or steps and walk up it...
Theres one i got that i'm not going to show anyone until i've written a program to do matrix-style multi-camera bullet-time effects, as nothing less would do it justice... (which might give me enough time to get it reliable...)

helecopter spinning hacky style things are my favorite at the moment- keep the staff spinning horizontaly and pass it from foot to foot, jumping over the staff as necessary, or kicking it up to a neck or back roll, or catch it stood on one end.
helecopter is easier than vertical as you don't have to lift your leg so high or jump as much.
360 helecopter ankle roll. needs a short staff or long legs.

watch a load of skate videos and b-boy stuff and akido videos, oh and shaolin soccer too. loads of ideas in there. and if any one accuses you of trying to look like Neo, remember, you're the one holding the big stick.

-ben

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, i just remembered- stretch before you start! shoulders calves hamstrings and back. the staff ends up on the floor a lot and i killed my back for a week picking it up so many times.
also some general upper body workout is good, or you'll end up with muscles in some places and none in others and end up looking odd.

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
Written by: tenticle

general upper body workout is good, or you'll end up with muscles in some places and none in others and end up looking odd.

lolsign

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Written by:

any one accuses you of trying to look like Neo, remember, you're the one holding the big stick

LMAO. Thats a good 1 man.

Some of these links are insane and give alot of different ideas. I was playing round with afew, and came to the conclusion that its not only how you throw your staff (like what body part) but the catches are almost more important, cause its all the little things that make your set good and not 1 - 2 really insane moves. Tho throw wink in afew and it would be even better.

Thanks to everyone involved in those threads, cause right now i have so many different ideas i dont know where to start.... ubblol ie contact arm rolls, into neck roll into contact back rolls to leg catches, into leg throws into...:D woohoo