Page:
ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Just thought i'd start a new (more specific) thread on the Sunday twirl meets at the park outside Luna Park.

At present most of the Melbourne twirling community go to the Edinburgh gardens Wednesday night sessions. I'm hoping more people will come to the Sunday night sessions.

The meet starts at 5 pm and continues 'till we leave. (whenever that is)

I will attempt to make it to every week. Hopefully others will do the same.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Sorry i've not been replying lately. I've not been able to reply when logged in. I dunno why. Seems all better now.
The St Kilda thingy happens every Sunday night 5 pm meet. It's not a big night yet, i'm sure in summer things will really pick up. It really is a better spinning venue than edinburgh gardens. (Hmmm maybe a hit of bias there.) Ayellayen and Jaspa have been making the trip recently. Hopefully spherespinner will bless us with her presence. Her tutition to peeps like myself, is always welcome.
Anyway, i'll be there. I'm always there.
Next Sunday I will be late. (finish work at 5pm) I should make it by 5.45 though.
Hey Bender don't mention those rainclouds. wink It only puts doubts in people's minds.

spherespinnermember
38 posts

Posted:
Yo!!! smile

Ok... so I never have time for the internet these days... quite disgusting I know... so sorry I haven't been "present" in the forums lately... but I just wanted to let peps know that I have my last class this sunday afternoon for my circus training.. then a three week break before starting up again.. so what does this mean....??? Well... I will be hopefully be able to make my way down to the Sunday gatherings over the break... biggrin So yay for St Kilda and fun in the sun... weavesmiley Looking foward to it...

Also.... can't help myself.. but I was a bit disgusted when my friend and I turned up to the gardens last Wednesday.. hung around for about half an hour before giving up (from 10-10.30pm) it was a little wet under foot but otherwise a lovely night.. warm.. calm... good for fire... whats happened to all the fiery folk???? confused

Hope to catch ya all soon...... hugs, spins... and all that outa control stuff....

J hug

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
strongbad say fire good!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Hey Jo, did ya read that Wednesday night is expected to be a big this week.
On another note, Jo and I wont be attending today's St Kilda spin. We will be both scoping for good areas to light up at the high vibes festival in Northcote.
That pretty much means no twirl'en in St Kilda today.

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Okay, i'm new to the whole meeting other twirlers thing and i was wondering if one of you could please pm me and tell me when the next gathering is, i just posted a message about people from melbourne meeting in the city and not many people have replied...geh...i'm too young and i dont know enough about getherings to do this....help!
Thanks,
Liv

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Hey all. I've got an important notice for all twirlers in Melbourne. Both Jo and I have decided that it would be best to transfer the usual Sunday twirling meet in St Kilda (5pm) to the Alexandra gardens (opposite the arts centre spire) in the middle of Melbourne same time.
Now it's not certain yet, so please reply if you do not wish this to happen and we might consider the options. We have come to this decision based on certain factors as follows.

1 Lack of attendance. More people will be able to attend, and more to the point the travel time is signifigantly reduced for pretty much all people already attending the St Kilda twirl.
2 Great place to twirl. (No drunks, lots of space, some pathed areas for people who want solid ground to practice on)
3 Possibility to create a central place for everyone in Melbourne to meet.

This last point is particularly important. While I can't do contact juggling, there is a group of contact people who area also interested in meeting at the gardens. I've also been told that the organiser of the jugglejam wants to organise a weekend juggling meet.
As you can see the whole vision is to create a central, pleasant environment where twirlers, jugglers, contact, diabolo, footbag, etc etc could meet.
Like the idea?

PS Hey liv, there are currently two gatherings in Melbourne. The biggest night atm is Edinburgh gardens, every wednesday at around 9 pm. The other as explained above is currently in St Kilda (luna park, sundays, 5pm) but i'm hoping to change that.

AyellayenThe smart-arse who kisses Rouge's
128 posts

Posted:
No objections from me, I had it pretty sweet with the buses at stkilda, but this'd be a whole lot easier for everyone else.

It's my world - you all just happen to live in it.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I have visions of a trully big night.
Your support is greatly appreciated.

I almost see no reason why it can't change over this weekend. Hell, no one else but the twirlers on this forum turn up anyway. wink

TyrGOLD Member
Simplicity Convoluter & Cabbage Friend
126 posts
Location: In the shadow of the wolf (somewhere over melbourn...

Posted:
Hay Footbag (nice to meet ya smile ) - Alexandra Gardens great idea!!!! biggrin

There's been talk of starting a Fri night there for quite a while now (are you talking directly above the Floral clock or there abouts?) . It's good to see someone actually doing something about it. (think we've all just been waiting to the weather to match out ambitions)

If people do want to move or if you want to start another night I'd love to help. I think a big kick off night would rock with some fun funky stuff. I can loan fiery people mailing list to cause - We all know Bender has a flyer fetish and I think Tjoni was one of the first to mention central gathery place so I'm sure she'd help too.

Anyways this is all a bit forward as St Kilda is the other side of the world for me. As I never make it there (good intentions but bad attendance) , I don't think I should get a vote.

Have fun decisions - Cheers and happy spinage D. ubbrollsmile

“What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story.”
Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Hey, great to see another supporter. I really don't think too many, if any people object.
I'm happy to bring my portable stereo to play some music until some drummers hear the call and provide some beats.
The idea of the alexandra gardens meet is to replace the St Kilda one. Same time, same day. Both Jo and I havent really thought of another day. It's always a consideration though. I'll put it to Jo this weekend. Anyone else gotta preference??
Maybe it's too close to the Wednesday night spin?
I was thinking of the area in Alexandra gardens directly opposite the spire, eg somewhere in betweem the hammer throw bronze statue and the path that runs through this section. Haven't really scoped the whole place out.
Jo and I will be down at Alexandra gardens this Sunday. Will twirl, will walk around and check out the best location. See you there.

TyrGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Sunday is great as far as I'm concerned - Not sure if I can make this one but I'll try - Defiantly be there Sun week biggrin

I can start spreading the word if it's all fixed your end, How does 'Grand opening Sun 10th October' sound to you? - Only question left is what the heck did I do the his Holiness The Pope's telephone number…? Oh well I'll just email him I guess. C U then ubbrollsmile

“What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story.”
Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Yes the date is set. We will leave it to Sunday night.
At the moment the starting time is 5pm as per the St Kilda thingy. People can arrive later if they so wish. We made it that early so that people who wanted to learn (like myself) could see some day spinning.
As daylight savings kicks in we will make it later. (8pm or so.)

I'll be there this weekend, but feel free to advise others that sunday week (10th October) will be the opening.

TyrGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Hay Footbag - Emails have gone out as per entry I'm about to post (Generic so if it looks out of place on this thread forgive me smile ) I think it's about time for a new thread for the new night, as the move was your idea I think you should do the honors - Look forward to meeting you soon (If I've made any glaring errors or things you object too let me know and I can edit / email retractions / revisions quith-roe-qotes etc…you get the idea) - cheers and be well, D. ubbrollsmile

Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

TyrGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrin biggrin Calling ALL Firies!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin
Time for a BIG get together!

For those who don’t know St. Kilda gathering has moved to the Alexandria Gardens – hosted by the fabulous Footbag and Spherespinner - At last a central location for everyone!!!
'Grand Opening Sun 10th October' Lets see how many people we can drag out of the woodwork and have a big meet.

Other countries have gatherings of hundreds + regularly . I think it's about time we lifted our game…but that’s up to you guy's. I'm throwing in a 20 litre drum of Shel Sol to public use (This is my last one then I'm poor again so take advantage of it smile Bring your best toys and back up fuel and come play!!!

Night starts at 5pm for all those who are keen to learn / skill share by light. Fire starts after dark (obviously!) 7.30 - 8ish till late!

St. Kilda Road – opposite 'National Gallery of VIC' (Old Arts Gallery with spire)
'Between the 'Hammer Throw' bronze statue and the path that runs through this section' (Garden to left of the Floral Clock)

Aprox 5-7 min walk from Flinders St Station away from the city on the left hand side

Drummers wanted on mass!!! This is an event for everyone so come join. (CD players will be on hand if they're slack though so bring music if you want too)

* In the event of a rain out, frown consider this moved to the following week and watch www.homeofpoi.com for updates in 'events gatherings'…should be new thread soon. (Infrequent light drizzle is not rain!!!)

Footbag, the man of the hour who is beginning this night; will be there this sun along with the former St. Kilda crew - so go check the space out early and have a play with them if your up for it smile

250+ Melbourne fire twirlers have been emailed about this event already and I know there are at least twice that many of you out there!!! Spread the word and lets have a big fun night out. Become re-inspired, socialize or show off – what ever your passion come share it but remember it's up to you guy's so no pikers! biggrin

Cheers and look forward to seeing Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll you guy's there!!!! ubbrollsmile

Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Holy crap. That was one massive brochure. Thanks a lot.
Gee, I thought I was dedicated.

Can we make it the biggest night in Melbourne? I hope so.

spherespinnermember
38 posts

Posted:
Wowza.... u guys been busy when I ain't looking... ! rolleyes

Nice to see myself so generously included... I guess this means I should be there this Sunday?? biggrin Here I was thinking this idea of the new meeting place was merely... well and idea with considering.. !! ubbloco

Bravo for getting too and making it happen though... hope its sunny this sunday... look forward to a play in the park...

tarrrahh... take care ..
hugsssssssss
hug J

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..

128 posts

Posted:
It's saturday arvo and the weather is looking good, hopefully it'll stay this way.

TyrGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
Happy to spread the word - the rest is up to peoples not to be slack and come out and play. biggrin Hopefully every one else gets as excited as us about a big meet and they decide to come along. What ever happens it will be fun but I hope lots show.

I'll bring a portable stereo and I saw earlier on the thread that you should be able too as well - hopefully we won't need them but they're good back up. If things do take off and we have lots of people we'll probably have to spread the noise around a bit so it's not too loud - otherwise we'll probably get complaints and have to stop. It'll also give people a 'listening too' option if they don't like my poor taste in music wink I'll have safety stuff on hand incase but Melbourne twirlers are usually good (yay you guy's!) and have their own. Never hurts to double up though smile

Anyways sorry I didn't make it to yesterdays - wanted too but birthday commitments kept me elsewhere - hope you had at least a bit of a turn out as it was an awesome day for it. - Also plugged the Juggling thing in the email for you and it went out to a few NICA folk amoung others. Hopefully that news will travel and you'll start to get some Jugglie / Circus folk showing up sooner or later smile

As mentioned before you should start a new thread! - I'm happy to do it but I think the honors should go to you - it's your night after all and while I'm happy to help organize / bolster the first night; she is still your baby. I don't wanna steal the proverbial torch …(The pyromaniac irony of this comment is beyond me right now)

Be well and catch you guy's Sun if not before. Cheers D. ubbrollsmile

Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

128 posts

Posted:
How did Sunday go? I found that I was completely, totally broke and couldn't afford the public transport ticket down there. Not happy, Jan.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
what a stupendous idea!!
The right time of the year to start a new weekly sesh, bring on da summer inferno!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Sunday was just Ok. Basically there was just three of us with visitor from QLD joining us as well. Jo was feeling a sick so she left early.
Fellow NZ twirler, nick, showed off some positively dangerous fire-rope poi. He didn't light them up because they take up a half a litre of fuel each burn, and he didn't have enough. Next time he does i'll be sure to have the video camera running.
We actually twirled at the park across the road. Eg the park closer to the city on the way to the skate park. I still think near the three palm trees is a better spot. That's where we'll meet this weekend. They're both in viewing distance from each other however. People can put forward they're preferences later.
I will start another thread on this night from now. See you on the other side. biggrin
7 day weather forecast is predicting 25 degrees for Sunday!!

PS on a final note i'm changing my HOP name. My former life is over and I must move on. wave

TyrGOLD Member
126 posts

Posted:
New Thread: ubbrollsmile
[Old link]

Bye bye St. Kilda Thread meditate

Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

Page: