Page:
FireGirl_and_Pixieboymember
29 posts

Posted:
We all know its nice to put in a flash start...I've got 'em down with ma juggling and devilsticks but haven't worked out any with a staff yet. Any suggestions?

...wot?

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
yeah
i want to know that too
what i have to do
to start with two fireballs

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
Hmmm maybe I'm tired or something, but I have no idea what a flash start is. . . umm

refering to Spin Off's perhaps?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
right, slightly confusing here.....

flash start as the two cute peaple are descibing i think they mean throwing both staffs in the air at once. at least thats what a flash is in juggling.

to do this hold your staffs together, but not wick-on-wick, instead seperate them by maybe a wicklength, so that they lie flat together and one end pokes out at the top and bottom.

throw thease into the air. they will seperate mid air and alow you to catch both at once and start spinning.

as for burnoffs, the two fireballs.

get a dripping wet staff, carefull where your dripping. hold teh staff horisontal and place the middle of the staff on the heel of your right hand with the tips of the left fingers ontop. hands are pointing stright out, staff is pointing to either side.

spin the staff along its axis to create the fireball (so to spin it you flick it off your hands, push your left hand forwrad and the right back). some say throw high, some say throw low. the faster you spin the bigger the ball. lots of variations.

please be carefull of where you burnoff. if your near natural water, in pastureland or anywhere ecologically vunerable dont do it, use a spin off can instead and reclaim the parafin. thanks.

T wave
EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1081026579)

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
yes for me i mean the burnoffs
do i have to spine the staff
i don`t understand your discription
also a little bit confussed

29 posts

Posted:
What i mean is, a fancy start. Everyone loves a smooth start, but I cannot come up with any for staff. I got a good un for devilsticks tho.

P.S: We ain't cute!

...wot?

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
ok
i start a new treath with burnoffs can`t find anything with the search option

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

ive edited a bit for clarity, hope that helps, you just spin the staff off your hand.

Dont start a new thread, go search the old forums where youll find a million of them, remeber that this board has been here for 6 months, and nobody tends to mention something as simple as burnoffs in that time.

stop being cute then!

T wave

-><- Kallisti

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
sorry just started the new topic
i`m sorry that i`m so stupid that i don`t can`t get the burnoffs to work
ohhh and my [censored] english.... eek

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
you have to have the staff freshly dipped, and you have to spin it FAST.

you spin along the lengh of the staff, not like normall spinning.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
thanks nX
but don`t understand what you mean but my english is not so good
how along the lenth of the staff and not like normal spinning
can you make a pic with your letters to imagine thanks

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
hi nx?
is it going with any firestaff or do i have to have a very thick wick

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
any stick will do, the shorter ones are hotter (cos the fireball is closer)

oh dear, translating, is gonna be a challenge.

the length of the staff: [censored]. errm. go get a friend who can speak good english.

normal spinning is rotating the staff, so that the ends of the staff make a circle.

along the length of the staff means that the ends stay where they are, in a straight line, but the staff revolves around its middle. staying straight and horisontal but rolling forward.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
thanks a lot
i`l test it tomorrow night

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
flash start?
hehe...
wear a trenchcoat with nothing underneath, then throw the staff up as high as possible, grab the lapels of your coat and spread your arms as far as they will go et voila!

or you could just do a burnoff!
wink

sorry for being so unhelpful, but i couldn't resist it!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
good form Bongo!

29 posts

Posted:
I mean full on staff, not torch, if theres any confusion...which there probably isn't. But hey, just sayin ubbloco

...wot?

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
do you maybe mean like what is a cool way to start off into you fire dancing routine when doing staff? or are you referring to a specific move?
If you mean how do you start off....after doing a burn-off, i kinda hold the staff out to the right of my body, then spin it in horizontally under the armpit, up over my head into a helicopter, swap hands, under the other armpit, then shift planes into vertical behind my back and hey presto! Can either go on to vertical spinning (figure eight etc.) or more horizontal stuff. If i am feeling especially zesty, i go down on one knee and do a palmspin then toss it up into a horizontal throw....................
This makes me feel all amped up to spin more and gives me nice muddy knees

A paradise found is a paradise lost
-E.O. Wilson

My father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic
-Spike Milligan

29 posts

Posted:
Yeah, just smooth starts and funky finishes for staff. It always goes down well peace

...wot?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I find the nicest starting through to seperate the doubles is a horizontal one above the head cause you can easily spot, and catch the individual sticks without having to worry about them seperating too much... plus....if you miss they hit you on the head biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

benjyBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
i resently always start with the mullen...

al hail the hopforum for new moves....

Think for yourself Question authority

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
There's all sorts of ways to start with staff.

* Push your foot under it and flick it into the air
* Stand underneath it, held high, Saturday-Night-Fever style...
* Stand for a minute, with your back to the crowd, notr moving at all and holding it horizontal
* spin it unlit fo a bit, then ask someone if they have a lighter...
* Roll it from your hands down into the crook of both elbows and then throw it high
* Throw it high
* A burnoff (already covered i think)
* etc etc etc

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
a mate of mine and myself were sitting at salamanca last saturday having lunch after having *god knows* how many kids (10-16) year olds come up and ask us to teach them, luckily we had enough dowel and prac. poi...anyway, we decided to muck around with starts...and we reckon that a first burn(burn off) to a drop kick is the best start we've seen... you get the big flames (safety of the spin off) and then having it drop below and be kicked above the flame looks damn tricky but is pretty easy...if any of that made sense... biggrin umm

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

i_might_be_wrongmember
19 posts

Posted:
some starts I've used in the past....

Start with it resting on your foot, with your foot about 4 or so inches from the centre then kick up hard while pulling your foot back towards the end and you get a rotating burn-off, only problem is with lots of fuel it can muck up your grip when the staff goes vertical as the fireball passes.....Takes some practice tho, hardest part being getting the burn-off to work.... much easier to do with your hands but is pretty impressive-looking from the ground.

Ive also found that doing a hard dropkick with a soaking staff as a start gives gigantic fireballs, sometimes bigger than burnoffs and you get the added coolness of having them rise past your ears

or one ive seen but never tried, (must be done on concrete) before you start pour a few trails of fuel around and a puddle near where you will be standing then light it from the staff, you get pretty blue flames spreading everywhere eek

But I have to say good old burnoffs are the easiest and best, impossible to muck up.

Oh, and if you have a staff spinning friend try drop-kicking the soaking staffs to each other, one high, one low, pretty fire trails

All this comes from having too much paraffin and spare time

Hello, My name's Tim and I'm a criminal
in the eyes of society I should be in jail,
for the choice of herbs I inhale

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Double burnoffs - same as a single burn off but you put the sticks offset and spaced about 2 inches apart in your hands so they wont interfere with each other when they are spinning. Its a bit hard to catch, and can end with a fireballing stick in the face. So if you arent confident of catching two independently spinning objects sometimes falling through a very large ball of fire at the same time dont try it on fire until you can.

remember, double the spinning wicks, double the burnoff size (in theory at least).

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ok so i was playing the other night with burnoffs and nailed something ive had the idea of for sometime but couldnt remember if id shared it with you all or not....... so, rather than starting a new thread i dug this one up all about burnoffs, and staffing naked under a trench coat - king of bongo style ubblol

Which reminds me - i miss that dude round here! frown

Anyhow:

Single staff burn off...... we can all do them yeh!?

if not go practice biggrin

Ok now for the other bit....... can you hold a staff out and roll it down one arm across your back, down the other arm into the other hand....... yeh!?

everyone should know what im talking about its an old trick - one im sure youve all tried with your grandads hat smile

Anyhow continuing on:

At the point of doing the burnoff do not throw your stick high - (alot of people do this so ive seen) keep it as low as possible, almost as if it doesnt leave your hand at all...... may take a bit of practice, but its worth it biggrin

You can all see where im going with it now, but anyway the point is the burnoff flame travels across your arms and back with the stick........ obviously you need to make sure when you burn off you make the stick spin towards you and not away from you, this will help lots with the roll wink

Id been trying for a while with no sucess, then i was teaching my brother in the front garden how to burn off properly and i attempted it - it worked a treat - i felt the heat go across the back of my neck as the staff travelled over.....

Time it right and the flame should deminish as the staff lands in the opposite hand smile

Not one for the newbie, but one to try one your comfortable with burnoffs and REALLY comforatable with your staff biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Oooooo... sounds kick ass.

Erm.... Would this work with a triple wicked staff (i.e a staff with six wicks, three on each end)? Cos as much as I'd like to try this, I fear that all that flame might be a bit of a hazard passing so close to my head...

What ya think? Not worth the risk?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I think FRD's hair would become much much shorter.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
i was reading somewhere, about doing the same but with an angel roll, when i tried it i got very hot, but, it did seam to work.
i was also thinking of a steve burn off, altho it might work better from the prayer version as, you can speed the rotation up a bit biggrin

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Spiral burn offs.

Horizontal, Looks like a helix if there is no wind... Its easy enough...

Vertical. I start with a contact weave, nice and slow, gracefull like. Then BAM.... Its sacriest burn off ive tried. And like Josh said earlier, if your not comfortable sticking your hand into a very large ball of fire to look for a staff (a spinning one at that) then dont... And be carefull about the height and direction of the spin off. I got a facefull of parafin last week....

but if you want a flashy start.... smile

Love is the law.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Yep, mentioned contact burnoffs a while ago in a similar "starting moves" thread.
Glad that some one else is playing with them now.
An idea you might like to try, build up the speed of the staff's spin slowly by "revving" it one just one forearm (think cubefx trident video) or by passing it from one to the other, letting the burnoff flare up slowly. Then letting it zip along your arms/back globetrotter style, throwing the staff into a vertical spin when it reaches the opposite wrist. If your wicks were wet enough it should still be doing a burnoff during the throw. V pretty.
Steves into horizontal throws are possible though I tend to check the speed of the staff when actually performing the steve only speeding it up when it reaches the forearm and into the throw. I've found it too easy to singe myself doing steve burnoffs.
Consecutive angle rolls (turning), my favourite!
Any move which results in the staff spinning along its axis can be adapted to contact burnoffs, but if the wick is traveling under your arm or you have very large wet wicks then your going to want a thick layer of cotton on, with (overly?) long sleeves that don't ride up and expose your forearms, you will of course want to prove this for yourselves but I've found that it's these and not my hands or head that I've seriously burnt.
Hold your breath.
Start small !!!!!
Have fun.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

Page: