Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Doubles: Throws: wheel plane back cross

Login/Join to Participate

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
if you can do anything like a rvs 3-beat btb weave with poi this one shouldnt be too hard.

as you cross behind you with one staff (helps if its going bkwds in rotation) switch the other staff to the other side of you body in front. Then throw the btb staff straight up behind the body and a bit forward, as it turns in the air bring the other staff over the top of it, pull your throwing hand around your body and reach over the front and catch the thrown staff on that side. From here you are set up to go straight into the opposite backcross throw with the other staff.

you will probly find that your backcross throw hasnt got much oompf! the easy way to add a bit of height to it when you are just starting out is to do 'pop' it up using your legs, so as the staff backcrosses you are bending at the knees and as its coming up for release you 'pop' your legs straight. This little push is all you need to get that control happening.

In essense its a thrown extension to the doubles parallel rvs btb weave.

have fun - I love this one.

my fav variation is at the moment, backcross throw to underleg catch smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
you are a btb staff throwing machine if you haven't already been told that.
i wreckon. smile
jolly good show. i may need a helmet to practice this nugget, ta!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
wow! cooool... cool

how dare you leave this move for me to discover when i have to be stickless at work for another 7 hours mad ubbcrying wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hey Josh, thanks, for that it sounds fantastic cool

It reminds me of something I was working on a while ago. It's not of gracefull but I thought it was interesting....

Swinging outward reels in wall plane. With the right hand do a "double spin" behind, then instead of moving back to the front of the body bring the right hand behind the back with pinky side leading to the waist wrap position.

The act of doing this really twists you up cause it's kinda like a triple spin which isn't easy to do (in the outward reel behind position).

Then throw from behind the back waistrwrap position. This can then be caught by the right hand after a 180 turn (of the body).

The "triple spin" seems unnecessary and excessive (sometime painfull ubbtickled) but the benefit (I believe) is a better throw because you have nearly a full revolution of unwinding in the waistwrap position before the throw. ubbangel

You can decide for yourself what to do with your left hand while this is going on. My main aim was keeping it out the way like straight arm out to the left.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
mad
et tu deepsoulsheep?

ah well, only 70 minutes before i'm outta here now... ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Nice one DSS, sounds like there could be some doubles variation to that one smile

O yeah, I should add that the move I posted can be done the other way round too (as can all moves I guess) ie; drop from front reach around behind and catch btb.

You know your getting close with this one, when you start bashing the thrown staff with the other staff and it goes flying miles behind you or into the roof smile

Josh

--

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea I realised last night that I'd been doing them backwards before, but I was throwing (say right hand) from a 2 beat (just after say right hand has come over left) and catching BTB. ubblove
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1080897297)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
thats wicked dude, lovely to get some new stuff comming on staff forum.

one question.

for the throw over the shoulder, is the staff doing a full rev or half a rev?

ok, one other question.

your doing this with matchsticks arnt you? ubblol

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
yo Nx,

the staves should be in time with each other.

Also, the throw doesnt have to be over the shoulder, it can be done from in front of your body - a bit like a poi:crossers position.

and yes, I'm doing this with matchsticks, but if I thought it wouldnt work with long sticks I'd have posted that tongue not that I've tested with long doubles biggrin

Should work with longer sticks tho, all the planes are matching (ie, I dont think any of the normal goofy matchsticky plane breaking is going on) I think the body pop wouldnt work tho, cuz you'd tend to bash the btb staff on the ground as you load for the pop.

Josh

--

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Heyup Josh..
is that like the throw I showed you? or do I have (with for it!....) the worng end of the stick!

xdave

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
no...I do...sorry...
with backcrosses, you can do these to other people too...
ala club juggling..

xd

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
nah mate, its the one I showed you! smile

you know, the weird behind the back throw with a reach around the body same hand catch - you saw it when we did fire opposite the Garden of Unearthly Delight.

Josh

--

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I only got to play with these on the saterday I couldn't really get the ones you were describing down but I realised what I was describing was far easier with the left hand moved to the right (across the body) and out of the way (as opposed to straight out left).

I also reversed the left stick's direction to follow time as opposed to out ward reels and found that it was the forward version of what you described with and extra wrist twist, except in wall plane.

When I tried the ones I described above in wheel plane (with the extra wrist turn) I found them way easier. I still want to get the backwards ones but I think it's gunna take a good bit more practice one stick at a time. cool