Forums > Other Toys > fire breathing/eating (this may not go here)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
go easy on me im new.. ive been spitting fire for over 2 years now without any issues (knocks on wood) i saw it done outside a club went home practiced the spray pattern with water then went to differant alcohols.. works great for me.. i use really high proof alcohols, decent flame, relatively safe to hold in the mouth over other fuels.. so heres my question.. i want to move up to fire eating.. ive read a little but it seems like im the only person breathing fire with alcohol most people seem to use various fuels... will i run into any problems using the same alcohol to fuel my tourches for fire eating?

thanks in advance for any help...

EDITED_BY: DarkProphet (1080607010)

Hayzemember
1 post

Posted:
Please stop blowing fire using alcohol.

In fact, check out Pele's post on this thread:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000314

There are 2 reasons not to blow with alcohol:

1) Extremely dangerous due to the low flash point.
2) Very unimpressive flames.

If you do fire-eating, my recommendation on fuel would be Coleman's Camping Fuel or Naptha.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
ok im going to say this once

and never again before one of the admin comes in and slaps you in the face

NEVER EVER EVER USE FUELS LIKE COLEMANS AND MOST DEFINATELY NOT NAPTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spank spank spank spank spank spank

good god do you people ever read!!!!!!!

colemans=white gas (aka uber refined cleaner burning gasoline) which has every bit of a more dangerous flash point than any alchoholic fuel and it burns about 10 times hotter

now.....honestly....what idiot would use colemans to blow fire?

on the second part....Naptha?? thats just as dumb as colemans!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spank spank mad mad mad mad

damn straight to look at peles post, maybe you should look at the other things shes written as well

like her "season in hell article" and the do's and donts about breathing

Never ever ever ever and let me emphasize this NEVER use anything even remotely similar to naptha or colemans to blow with

personally i use ultra pure lamp oil.......this keeps me from getting things like chemical burn and the fuel is only explosive in an aerated form.....unlike colemans which can very easily create vapor fires......research blowing techniques before you make such a stupid reccomendation again spank mad spank mad
EDITED_BY: darkpoet (1080760178)

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
but you have to use coleman or white gas to eat fire without no firetransfers are possible
but don`t do fire breathing with it its very dangerous

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
darkpoet, reread again, the recommendation was to use white gas for fire _eating_, as it is the fuel of choice for most fire eaters. Lamp oil is really not as safe for fire eating with, imo..Beyond that I'd reccomend using isopropyl alcohol while learning, then work your way up to white gas, as the flame is much brighter, read hotter once you move up. Check out mephisto's site for all you need to learn about fire eating, and be safe beerchug

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ok im going to say this once
and never again before one of the admin comes in and slaps you in the face
NEVER EVER EVER USE FUELS LIKE COLEMANS AND MOST DEFINATELY NOT NAPTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spank spank spank spank spank spank
good god do you people ever read!!!!!!!
colemans=white gas (aka uber refined cleaner burning gasoline) which has every bit of a more dangerous flash point than any alchoholic fuel and it burns about 10 times hotter
now.....honestly....what idiot would use colemans to blow fire?
on the second part....Naptha?? thats just as dumb as colemans!!!!!!!!!
grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spank spank mad mad mad mad
damn straight to look at peles post, maybe you should look at the other things shes written as well
like her "season in hell article" and the do's and donts about breathing
Never ever ever ever and let me emphasize this NEVER use anything even remotely similar to naptha or colemans to blow or eat with
personally i use ultra pure lamp oil.......this keeps me from getting things like chemical burn and the fuel is only explosive in an aerated form.....unlike colemans which can very easily create vapor fires......research blowing techniques before you make such a stupid reccomendation again spank mad spank mad

well my first post starts in contreversey (sp?) lol

so anyway ive noticed that when i spit fire the fire is relatively small but i also have yet to attempt anything larger..

i THINK that alcohol is very limiting.. like i doubt ill be able to make a nice tower of flame out of alcohol.... but it also wont do all that nasty [censored] that some of the other fuels listed seem to do.. so am i a profesional fire performer? no not at all.. would i like to at some point? maybe and that is why im asking.. i currently perform magic... but am CONSIDERING a fire routine, that is why im trying to learn more about it.. i guess what im really asking is.. i already spit fire with alcohol.. and MAYBE that will evolve into a differant fuel at some point.. but as of now.. i feel safe with it... now back to my question.. as to eliminate the need for multiple fuels.. is it safe to eat fire with alcohol fueled tourches... AND what are some other fuels that i maybe should consider? keep in mind ive stuck with alcohol becuase ive read so much sick [censored] about the other fuels.. like gum disease and things like that..

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Check out mephisto's site for all you need to learn about fire eating, and be safe beerchug

a link to that site would be very much appreciated

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
ew you actually put white gas in your mouth???........anyways i dont know about eating fire but i most definately know about blows...and dont ever...ever do a blow with white gas....if you dont die...you wont have a face....simple.....my apologies but recommending naptha to anybody is just wrong........unless your a sadist....still wrong...but you enjoy the consequences....... ubbloco
anyways.....for blows use ultra pure lamp oil, it doesnt give chemical burn (ive got sensitive skin) and it is relatively safe compared to other fuels......personally i dont use alchohol (sp?) because i dont like having any sort of intoxicant in me while im performing...........lol...a shot now or then but yeah...............irishness..... umm
anyways......you can get very very drunk by using a high proof liquor to to blows with, and with isopropyl i think theres some other side effects but i dont know what....only thing i know about isopropyl is that in the states (as far as i know) the only way to get it is a fuel additive called heet.......and i use it for spinnin green fire

prizes

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

for blows use ultra pure lamp oil

i see a product in my local general stores called exactly that "ultra pure lamp oil" it says that it is odorless and smokeless... i was ok with it until i read it was odorless and smokeless.. because i read somewhere else that anything that is odorless and smokeless is bad.. but on it it says something like 99% pure..

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
then methinks youve got the wrong thing, ultra pure is basically liquid chapstick
go to lamplightfarms.com and look at there ultra pure.....only difference btw ultra pure and aviation grade kerosene is that the kero is a bit more refined..not by too much though
anyways they have to put something into it to keep it in a liquid form or else youd have a solid block of parrafin wax, its one of the best things you can get
i also take a tablet of activated charcoal before and after a performance
and always drinking water/washing the fuel off in hopes of dilution
you could also use vegetable oil, but your blows are 1/3 of the size and it makes you want to gag.....but yeas.....

prizes

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The firebreathers in my group use the ultrapure lampoil. I like to describe it as 99% parafin wax and 1% organic solvent that will eventually kill you. smile, but that's what your liver's for, just don't abuse it. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
i see you guys experiment with differant fuels for poi so why not fire breathing?

how about alcohol.. and some vegi oil? any idea of how a mix of that would go? the advatage would be it would be safer and maybe the alcohol would aid in its ability to burn?

i mean i may be making this harder than it needs to be.. lol but its just a thought...

thanks again for all the helpful info..

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
If i had used half of the fuels ive spun with to blow fire with.....id either be dead, missing my face, or my teeth would have dissolved........

to spin with i use a mix of ultra pure and white gas...ive tried to blow with citronella and a few other types of lamp oil each giving me moderate chemical burn
the worst being citronella making my lips and my tongue tingle (i know i know..i was being an idiot) next up was pure lamp oil, or so i thought...that stuff also gave me chemical burn and i ended up getting petroleum poisoning (very mild) because of how it absorbed into my bloodstream.....many times while blowing, even when done properly, the roof of your mouth will absorb the petrol and the results can be like a stuffy head except your head leaks lamp oil...not fun but it only happens if you blow alot in one night (blew around 4 gallons of fuel) ultra pure at most has given me a stomach ache but that was because i accidentally swallowed some...nothing too serious the mixing of fuels is a good idea but the mixing of 2 liquids that arent miscible isnt...its like oil and water you cant make a proper mix of alchohol and oil
so yeas......

prizes

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

If i had used half of the fuels ive spun with to blow fire with.....id either be dead, missing my face, or my teeth would have dissolved........

to spin with i use a mix of ultra pure and white gas...ive tried to blow with citronella and a few other types of lamp oil each giving me moderate chemical burn
the worst being citronella making my lips and my tongue tingle (i know i know..i was being an idiot) next up was pure lamp oil, or so i thought...that stuff also gave me chemical burn and i ended up getting petroleum poisoning (very mild) because of how it absorbed into my bloodstream.....many times while blowing, even when done properly, the roof of your mouth will absorb the petrol and the results can be like a stuffy head except your head leaks lamp oil...not fun but it only happens if you blow alot in one night (blew around 4 gallons of fuel) ultra pure at most has given me a stomach ache but that was because i accidentally swallowed some...nothing too serious the mixing of fuels is a good idea but the mixing of 2 liquids that arent miscible isnt...its like oil and water you cant make a proper mix of alchohol and oil
so yeas......

good call about them not mixing... didn't even think about it... im willing to try lamp oil.. i guess im just concerned about getting the right stuff.. as i already use alcohol and it works good..

if i go to lamp oil i can try to achieve a tower? like the fire WON'T chase back into my mouth? i understand how to spit fire with alcohol i am just wondering how much safer lamp oil is over alcohol? like worth switching to obtain bigger fire?

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Lamp oil is much better, only the vapor catches and towers are very possible. We've tried the veg-oil/alcohol mix before too. You have to shake up the contianer before you put it in your mouth, and the fire krackles. Tastes like crap though. smile

Cody Canon

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
just saying....towers are very possible....the biggest ive blown solo is somewhere between 18-23ft........dont bother doing a tower inside.....its just not worth it
[image]https://only-viewable-at.homeofpoi.com/mycgi/album.cgi?album=darkpoet[/image]

just go there.....ive got some pix up...and if i can ever figure out how to delete pictures ill have some bad fire sword pix up too

prizes

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

just saying....towers are very possible....the biggest ive blown solo is somewhere between 18-23ft........dont bother doing a tower inside.....its just not worth it
[image]https://only-viewable-at.homeofpoi.com/mycgi/album.cgi?album=darkpoet[/image]

just go there.....ive got some pix up...and if i can ever figure out how to delete pictures ill have some bad fire sword pix up too

i guess i need to try lamp oil... just so i can see how it works out... a lot of what i do is inside so i guess thats one reason alcohol and small fire balls instead of big towers have worked for me....

but you guys have swayed me to at least try lamp oil...

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Inside I suggest keep with the alcohol, but do the lamp outside. The lamp tends to get floors "oily" and slippery. Plus lampoil fireballs indoors are freeking huge. We tried it in in the Golden Phoenix Theatre/show room here in reno and darn near hit the roof. eek

Cody Canon

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Inside I suggest keep with the alcohol, but do the lamp outside. The lamp tends to get floors "oily" and slippery. Plus lampoil fireballs indoors are freeking huge. We tried it in in the Golden Phoenix Theatre/show room here in reno and darn near hit the roof. eek

see i knew this site was great.. lol

plan A: if being used in a magic act (which as stated i already do) ill stick with alcohol.. as i am already used to it and am easy working with it

plan B: i work on lamp oil in case i get a chance to do something outdoors..

thanks for all the help..
so what EXACTLY am i looking for in lamp oil

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Woah that'll teach me not to read the whole thread. I was working witha an Illusionist at the Golden Phoenix named Eli Kerr. He uses alcohol in his acts indoors. wink

Cody Canon

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Woah that'll teach me not to read the whole thread. I was working witha an Illusionist at the Golden Phoenix named Eli Kerr. He uses alcohol in his acts indoors. wink

well thank god.. lol im NOT the only one.... biggrin tongue biggrin tongue biggrin

Mephistomember
4 posts

Posted:
It's already been pointed out here and elsewhere, that there are several drawbacks to using alcohol, either for torches or for blowing. As I point out on my own site, it's easy to remember the differences in the 3 types of alcohol, as... Ethyl is the the chick in the bar that you get drunk with.... Methyl is, like meth, B-A-D stuff.... Isopropyl, is like when you get a thermometer jammed in your mouth and you think, "Isohatethattaste!" Only somebody who loves hospitals would enjoy taking a mouthful of isopropyl alcohol...(The terrible taste in iso alcohol is deliberately added to make it unfit for drinking.)

But most alcohol has a high water content, therefor, does NOT burn as well as other fuels. And the less water it has, the more dangerous it'll actually be. Try this test... Take two metal bowls, and pour about a teaspoon of your preferred alcohol into one. Put the same amount of Coleman fuel or lighter fluid in the other bowl and light both. Which one gives a better, brighter flame? Remember, you are right up close. Your audience won't be anywhere near that close. Then, before they burn out, put your hands over them. Which one feels hotter? You'll be lucky to not get an immediate burn from the alcohol flame! The fact that the flame is brighter does NOT mean it's hotter. A blue flame is hot; yellow-orange is relatively "cool." If you accidentally spill some burning alcohol on the floor, your shoes, or even your clothes, you probably won't even see it burning there, till it's already done some considerable damage... Take the test one step further, and pour any amount you like, of kerosene in a third bowl. Stick your match into it, and unless you've heated the kerosene, the match will go out! Room-temperature kerosene will NOT ignite by itself! If you held a flame to it long enough to heat the surface, THEN it would ignite. Kerosene must be heated, atomized, or absorbed in a wick, to burn. This is what makes it so much safer than any of the stuff you folks have been discussing here. Lamp oil may be 99% pure, but what's that other 1%? Citronella, by the way, is poisonous, and far more carcinogenous than most of the other fuels mentioned!

My advice is, if you take a shot or more of "edible" alcohol, swallow it, put out your torch, and go sit and watch the stars! (More tips on fuels in the thread, "Greetings from Mephisto)

-Mephisto the Master
https://www.fyretr.com

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It's already been pointed out here and elsewhere, that there are several drawbacks to using alcohol, either for torches or for blowing. As I point out on my own site, it's easy to remember the differences in the 3 types of alcohol, as... Ethyl is the the chick in the bar that you get drunk with.... Methyl is, like meth, B-A-D stuff.... Isopropyl, is like when you get a thermometer jammed in your mouth and you think, "Isohatethattaste!" Only somebody who loves hospitals would enjoy taking a mouthful of isopropyl alcohol...(The terrible taste in iso alcohol is deliberately added to make it unfit for drinking.)

But most alcohol has a high water content, therefor, does NOT burn as well as other fuels. And the less water it has, the more dangerous it'll actually be. Try this test... Take two metal bowls, and pour about a teaspoon of your preferred alcohol into one. Put the same amount of Coleman fuel or lighter fluid in the other bowl and light both. Which one gives a better, brighter flame? Remember, you are right up close. Your audience won't be anywhere near that close. Then, before they burn out, put your hands over them. Which one feels hotter? You'll be lucky to not get an immediate burn from the alcohol flame! The fact that the flame is brighter does NOT mean it's hotter. A blue flame is hot; yellow-orange is relatively "cool." If you accidentally spill some burning alcohol on the floor, your shoes, or even your clothes, you probably won't even see it burning there, till it's already done some considerable damage... Take the test one step further, and pour any amount you like, of kerosene in a third bowl. Stick your match into it, and unless you've heated the kerosene, the match will go out! Room-temperature kerosene will NOT ignite by itself! If you held a flame to it long enough to heat the surface, THEN it would ignite. Kerosene must be heated, atomized, or absorbed in a wick, to burn. This is what makes it so much safer than any of the stuff you folks have been discussing here. Lamp oil may be 99% pure, but what's that other 1%? Citronella, by the way, is poisonous, and far more carcinogenous than most of the other fuels mentioned!

My advice is, if you take a shot or more of "edible" alcohol, swallow it, put out your torch, and go sit and watch the stars! (More tips on fuels in the thread, "Greetings from Mephisto)

-Mephisto the Master
https://www.fyretr.com

i really trust your knowledge and judgement.. but i just can't bring myself to put kerosene in my mouth...i would probably sooner try lamp oil....

i think that the alcohol for breathing it just working out too well... i may rething eathing alcohol fueled tourches

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

[i really trust your knowledge and judgement.. but i just can't bring myself to put kerosene in my mouth...i would probably sooner try lamp oil....

I thought lamp oil was just kero with nasty chemicals added to get rid of the smell and smoke??

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

[i really trust your knowledge and judgement.. but i just can't bring myself to put kerosene in my mouth...i would probably sooner try lamp oil....

I thought lamp oil was just kero with nasty chemicals added to get rid of the smell and smoke??

ok now im confused.. lol ubbloco

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
the common problem that arises when discussing fuels - especially with reference to fire breathing is that different countries called the same fuel types different names, and different fuel types the same names.

it can get quite confusing.

im working at a industrial research lab at the moment and vaguely remeber a chart that gave the equivalent fuel names for most countries - i believe this would help. ill try to find it.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DarkProphetmember
14 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the common problem that arises when discussing fuels - especially with reference to fire breathing is that different countries called the same fuel types different names, and different fuel types the same names.

it can get quite confusing.

im working at a industrial research lab at the moment and vaguely remeber a chart that gave the equivalent fuel names for most countries - i believe this would help. ill try to find it.

i think thats EXACTLY whats happening....

Mephistomember
4 posts

Posted:
Nope. Lamp oil is not kerosene with junk added. It's liquid paraffin with junk added! As I believe Pele pointed out, there are additives to keep the paraffin liquified, but there's also usually fragrances added. I've used it, and it works as well as kerosene, but for me, it seems to leave more of an aftertaste than kero does. Maybe I'm just used to kero, and prejudiced, but that's my feeling. Please remember too, that kerosene has been used as a medicine in the past. It's still used in veterinary medicine, and if you swallow more than a few droplets, you'll learn that it's a wonderful laxative! wink

-Mephisto

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Try this page on

Camping fuels

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
ok ill make this really really simple

for blowing fire, if you dont have access to things like Aviation grade kero (make a note to check for any additives that might be put into the kero to increase engine temp in the plane) use Ultra Pure lamp oil
It is very basically liquid chapstick
the additive keeps it in a liquid form thats why its only 99.something% pure
without the additive youd be trying to chew up a waxy goo into something for a wick....
just a general rule..try and stay away from citronella...its nasty stuff
if your not sure...RESEARCH!!!!!! youll learn more from the msds than anything on the bottle
and be smart about it, dont let somebody pressure you into blowing, and dont let your pride make you do something stupid.....
just think everything out, take every measure you can to be as safe as possible....
oooh and some new fire sword pictures up once i make em smaller in file size

prizes

FireGirl_and_Pixieboymember
29 posts

Posted:
Pixie Bouyee, he say: FIRE BREATHING rules. It is great. That is all, keep breathing yes. peace

Fire Girl says, play safely, u kerazee kidzah spank

...wot?

Page: