Forums > Social Chat > Poland? Russia? Romania?

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Anyone here from one of those three countries? Anyone here been to one of them (or all of them!)?

next year i'm taking a year off to teach english in one of those 3 countries but i just cant decide which one i want to make my first preference! i'd be doing it with an organisation called "GAP" so it will be safe wherever i go (no horror stories please! at least, not too horrible to scare me! oh i dont know! advice is good!) and i'll be staying at school boardiing houses or with host families. i just cant decide!

thanks biggrin

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i just thought i'd add that im warming towards russia because i'd most likely be either at moscow university (staying at the res) or in Novgorod (staying with a family). so any positive things people want to say about russia would be great!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Hey there.
i am from russia, moscow in fact.
I would recommend going to moscow and not novgorod.
Moscow developed to be a massive mix between the people of the former soviet union. its as well used to foreigners running the streets because it was the centre of international relations. It can be an amazingly fun city, at the same time as it can be an heartless and depressing sh1thole. So you get to see both negative and positive aspects.
the only thing u should really know is that moscow developed its own vibe and athmosphere and that understanding moscow does not mean understanding russia and vice versa.

what uni do u want to teach at?
if u have anymore questions, ill be glad to answer them.
smile

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
I don't want to piss on your parade, but I've been to Romania, and while I found it and amazingly beautiful country with truly warm and friendly people, I found the amount of poverty I witnessed quite depressing. That was about 7 or 8 years ago so things could have changed since then.

Moscow on the other hand is an amazing city, go there biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
im with you on that one faberge .. i went to Bulgaria and i can only imagine that its quite similar to Romania and other bulkan countries... but then i count it as life experience and to be grateful for what i've got biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
you get used to the poverty. In fact you get used to a lot of fundamentally wrong stuff when you travel in eastern europe. but that cant scare you away from exploring the world.

Poland is the most developed of the ones you listed. Its about to become part of the EU. So if you want to take it easy on the level of wrongness. u should consider goin there.
I personally would still recommend moscow.

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've been to all three - Russia in May of 1990, Romania in November 1999, and Poland in June 2000. I'm sure Russia has changed quite a bit since I've been there, but I found Leningrad (it was still the USSR then) to be very depressing. Also, that is only place I went, so I can't comment on Moscow, even in an outdated way. Romania was nice (I was in Bucharest and Brasov) and liked it, but I'm not exactly sure I'd want to live there. I suppose it depends on where though. Poland I quite enjoyed and am looking forward to going back to sometime. I toured a fair amount of Poland by car and was quite pleased most of the time.

I guess it kind of depends on what sort of thing you are looking to get out of the experience as to where you should decide to go. For example, I would really like to learn Russian right now, so I'd pick there. On the other hand, if I was thinking of a nice place to live, I think I would pick Poland. If I were feeling like I wanted something a little more along the lines of an adventure, perhaps I'd pick Romania.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I was in Russia about 9 months ago and to be honest, it could have been any one of a number of eastern European countries, there is conspicuous wealth mixed in with street beggers. I personally thought Moscow was a bit of a dump with a few nice bits, Novogorad was nice to look at but is a bit small for an extended stay, St Petersberg was by far the nicest place I went there. If they can employ three people to do one person's job they will, drives you mad after a bit.
I like Krakow a lot, sort of like Prague without the tourists, it's desperately trying to shed its Soviet era baggage so will probably be completely different in a few years. It's a good time to go before they whitewash their history. Far less red tape than in Russia.

In both these countries the hospitality of the people is amazing. They're a bit reserved at first but when they accept you they'll give you their last slice of bread and go hungry themselves.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I was in various parts of Poland a few years ago. I really liked all of that country that I got to see. The people were all warm and friendly and the food was really good. Public transport in all the places I went to (including the middle of nowhere in the mountains) was really good and cheap.

The main obsticle I had was the language. It was very different than anything I had encountered before. It was the first time I was ever unable to figure out a word just by looking at it - that was impossible. I picked up a few words (good morning, thank you, and no carbonation in my water) but not many after 3 weeks in the country.

pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
I was in Romania for a few weeks 10 years ago and found it to be the most welcoming place i have ever been. I stayed in Timisoara, Brashov, Sighisoara and Bucharest.. There was always somebody ready to take you into there home or show you around. Its a beautiful country and i became very attached to it..

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i dont think i get a choice with the city i go to. i preference my countries and then through an application letter, references and interview they determine if i am able to go and what country i'd be going to, where i would stay there etc.

i'm not too worried about poverty. it will add the the experience. and i doubt the organisation would send me anywhere where poverty was THAT drastic it would effect me negatively.

i really want to be able to experience culture and for that reason wherever i go i hope to be in a host family.

i'm leaning towards russia because on the organisations website russia reads just so well (and, was it konsti? who spoke so highly of it!), with romania coming in second. poland interests me too, but its also got being closer to other countries going for it!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
when would you be going? just wondering because it would be a good excuse to visit where ever it is you go if I am still living in Europe by then.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i'll be going next year. departing at the end of january, placement for 5-6 months, then an open-ended return ticket! (damn, i just looked at the form...i could go in september...damn, i dont want to go inseptember! i want to go in january!)
it would be great to catch up if we could! i think Bobo is going to Germany next year so i'll maybe see if i can catch up with her as well! and anyone else who loves me biggrin

merijnBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Hi there! Nice plan! I am going to Slovakia, which is pretty near to Romania and Poland for about 6 months. I will work there in a childhouse for disabled children. This is a project of the EU so they pay for everything (room, board, pocketmoney, insurance etc.)

If I were you, I would go to Romania. I can't explain why, because it is a fealing. I have always wanted to go there, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

Good luck with choosing!!

Merijn

Today is the first day of the rest of you life...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
dad was talking to one of his work collegues today and they said that in russia there are thugs on street corners who wont let you pass unless you grease their palm...does anyone know about this?
naturally dad (and now myself) isnt too sure about russia anymore. frown

interestingly, on the australian department of foreign affairs and trade, romania was the only country out of those 3 that didnt come with a warning! i was expecting poland to be!

i hear romania to be very friendly (and from other sources as well, not just you guys)...its coming a very very close second to russia and now perhaps equal now ive got the scare story. but stories like that are prolly true of most eastern european countrie tho...or (hopefully) not?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
go to Romania - it's supposed to be fantastic.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i just thought i'd update everyone and say that my application form is all filled out and my preferences are as follows:

teaching english in:
romania
russia
poland
tibetans in india
argentina
vietnam

i will be interviewed in june/july, with first round offers coming out in september. ill keep people posted about where i'm off to!

Same as Dostoevskiymember
54 posts

Posted:
You, dearest friend will be greeted in all the best traditions of russian hospitality. welcome

I am from russia. moscow actually, and you don't even think on not comin here!!!

life's nice in this cold country.

about the poverty and stuff. look moscow is not like the rest of russia. you know it's like a country inside a country.

PLUS WE'VE GOT OUR PUBLIC WORKSHOPS ON HERE! weavesmiley

I mean you should wisit romania (never been there) and Bulgaria (my love, one of the best slavonic countries i've ever been to), but you'll never understand no slav if you'll not visit mother russia.

mail me if you'll need some help on arraingin your visit to russia. i'll help you. peace

almost forgot. i am the last year at the mocsow state univercity, and we;ve got lots of foreign students.
EDITED_BY: crazypedestrians (1083500553)

when it gets colder that -25, you don't really care

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
it took me AGES to decide between russia and romania, and in the end i picked romania and stuck with that! maybe i should have picked russia....damn! but i chose romania for various reasons that im happy with!

i definately plan on visiting russia! i really want to go to st petersberg for midsummer! and i was to see the russian ballet in moscow! and i was to visit my friend! and i want to go on the trans-siberian railway!

basically, i am definately going to try and get to russia next year! i will have holidays during my placement, and 6 months after my placement before i have to return to australia for university.

man, i REALLY want to go to russia now! dammit!!!!!!!!

no, no, im happy with romania!

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
Go to Russia friend and watch the black theater...
Romania isn't that great....

The only thing constant in life is change...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
thanks, but ive already put my application in!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I just thought I'd let people know that i had my interivew today for my placement. i think it went well - went very quickly, which, so people tell me, is a good sign. italy is now an option, however im going to stick with romania. i nearly changed my preference to russia, however decided that i'd rather romania because there i will stay with a host family and i think i'd get more of a cultural experience that way. there arent many placements in romania thought, so i could still end up in russia!

now i wait until august to find out if i have been accepted! theres too much waiting in all of this!!!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Hehe, I feel your pain Rouge! But don't worry, the day will come!! hug Good luck m'dear!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Poland gets my vote. Funniest, sweetest and sexiest girl I've ever met is from Poland. biggrin

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend